Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 13:38 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 13:38

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 931 [1]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [1]
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [1]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Kudos
Billyboy, it seems your mission here is to convince yourself that you can't do it! With that attitude you won't get anywhere in life!!!

Cut the crap and start studying!!!
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 515 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
The people who come here are often very motivated to gain admission to schools in the top clusters. Thus, it would not be surprising if they put far more effort into a high GMAT score than typical test takers.

There is also a reporting bias to consider- in general it appears that high scoring students are more willing to share their experience on GMAT Club than students with low scores.

Finally, 7% percent of several hundred thousand test takers means that tens of thousands of people have scores above 700.

Originally posted by Hjort on 29 Oct 2005, 15:24.
Last edited by Hjort on 29 Oct 2005, 20:08, edited 1 time in total.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 71 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
BillyBoyy, I've been watching your posts for the past couple of days and I am not sure what you are driving at :!: :?:
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 255 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Quote:
BillyBoyy, I've been watching your posts for the past couple of days and I am not sure what you are driving at :!: :?:

hmmmmmm............

probably tetliest could do something here.....

we shouldnot forget him in a difficult situations.......
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
gsr wrote:

Some people come here, ask for help, receive help, prepare for the exam, and score 700+. Additionally, they'll leave a comment afterwards saying that the GMAT was way easier than they expected.

That leads me to ask the following question: are these individuals who end up scoring 700+ after a lot of effort, average Joes, like me, or are they just highly intelligent, yet tremendously insecure individuals? If it is the latter, then I might as well spend my time doing something more rewarding than following their example of commitment and dedication, since we are not on the 'same league' to begin with.
CEO
CEO
Send PM
[#permalink]
If you do not mind the question- How are the rest of your application materials? Do you have strong essays, LORs, work experience, and grades?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
Hjort wrote:
If you do not mind the question- How are the rest of your application materials? Do you have strong essays, LORs, work experience, and grades?

I don't mind the question at all =)

I graduated from college last spring. Not Ivy League, I must admit, but at least top 40 in the US according to newsweek.com's latest survey. I majored in mathematics (surprisingly, DS questions still suck) and ended up with a 3.6 GPA. Again, not great, but I find it satisfactory considering the amount of effort I put into it.

As for the other requirements, I'll eventually acquire job experience (my short term goal is to work as an actuary), and I haven't even bothered with essays, recommendations, etc, because I do not plan to apply to b-school until I have at least 2 years of work experience. Also, if I don't score the magical 700 I am looking for, I won't even bother fulfilling the other requirements. It's not like I want to go to some school in the middle of West Virginia that noone has heard of.
CEO
CEO
Send PM
[#permalink]
Thanks for the info. I think you are being way too hard on yourself and your background. A 3.6 is above the mean at virtually every business school, not to mention that you earned these grades in a highly quantitative major. Further, your undergraduate university comes from one of the top few clusters in the US. There are some very strong schools in mathematics in that general area of the USNR's legaue tables regardless of whether your undergrad school is part of the Ivy League or the Tycoon University group (Stanford,Duke, Chicago, etc.).

While it is often forgotten in worries over GMAT scores and essays, MBA programs are ultimately about leadership. Perhaps the most important quality of any leader is confidence in herself, her ideas, and her objectives. A lack of confidence in your own abilities will be far more damaging in the long run to a career in management than a "low" GMAT score.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Technology, Other
Schools: MIT Sloan - Class of 2015
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V41
GRE 1: Q49 V41
GPA: 3.8
Send PM
Re: if only 7% of all GMAT test takers score 700+, explain this [#permalink]
BillyBoyy wrote:
My understanding is that approximately 7% of all GMAT test takers break the 700 points barrier. I am not sure my understading on this is correct though, especially when I consider the fact that so many people who come here reportedly reach this target after intense preparation.

What can I make of this? Does it suggest that the reported percentage of candidates who score at least a 700 on the GMAT is severely underreported? Or does it suggest that most of the people who come to this forum belong to that exclusive 7% group of the GMAT test takers population? Counterintuitive, wouldn't you agree? I imagined that the ones who needed help with this exam were not exactly the brighest ones.

Easy. In science and statistics this is called sampling bias.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 83 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
GMAT Date: 06-30-2012
GPA: 3.7
WE:Accounting (Insurance)
Send PM
I strongly believe that those you REALLY want that 700 get it.

The reason why only 7% break this barrier is simple... the GMAT prep can take a long time. I would say 3 months minimum. Of course there are those that jump 200 points in 15 days but most do not fall into this. Anywho... you take the GMAT and you dont break the 700... now you need to take it again. You are deflated and forget to realize that studying for an A is a whole lot different than studying for a C. This time consuming road burns out most... and to be honest dedication is not a trait many posess. I think many people just give up after the first try.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 206 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
i dare to differ. how well you do in your gmat depends a lot on your ability to think rationally and strategically. imho. i needed ~12 days to score 720 and i know of two mistakes that i could have avoided. i guess i could have scored at least 730.i am not super smart or anything. in fact, i look around and ask myself why everyone seems to be smarter/faster/better than me. i just have less problems with quantitative problems than others but at the same time i suck at writing essays. So i am pretty much average. so i wouldnt really think about it too much and just go for it. since you are a maths major, with a little bit of work you should breeze through the quant section.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 105
GMAT 1: 770 Q49 V47
GPA: 3.08
Send PM
Agree with the sampling bias. I feel that most people on this forum are very motivated to get the high score and are willing to put the effort in to get the score regardless of their "intelligence" level.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1207 [0]
Given Kudos: 114
Concentration: Finance, Finance
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
Send PM
Although I agree with some of what was said, who knows if that statistic (7% score 700) is even accurate anymore... this thread is almost 7 years old, haha
GMAT Club Bot