Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Oct 2014, 06:44

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

If only the people using a carpool and only small cars with

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 6 [1] , given: 24

If only the people using a carpool and only small cars with [#permalink] New post 15 Apr 2012, 05:22
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

65% (hard)

Question Stats:

53% (02:03) correct 47% (01:24) wrong based on 204 sessions
If only the people using a carpool and only small cars with single passengers were allowed to use the roads that remain over crowded throughout the day, it would greatly reduce the congestion on these roads. This will also reduce the accident rates.
Which of the following has been assumed by the above passage?

• Using small cars would be more convenient for people.
• As yet, not many people use a carpool.
• A reduction in traffic would lead to people driving at a higher speed.
• All the roads remain overcrowded.
• The roads are not built to cope with high traffic.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 24

Re: If only the people using a carpool and only small cars [#permalink] New post 15 Apr 2012, 05:27
Passage states that ... If only the people using a carpool and only small cars with single passengers were allowed... OA states that ...not many people use a carpool...

But IMO it can be that many people use a carpool, but even greatest number of people use very large other cars, as according to passage congestion whould be reduced if only the people using a carpool and only small cars
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: If only the people using a carpool and only small cars [#permalink] New post 15 Apr 2012, 06:05
Even i have the similar conundrum...need clarification
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 107 [1] , given: 31

Re: If only the people using a carpool and only small cars [#permalink] New post 15 Apr 2012, 23:40
This post received
KUDOS
Except B all other options are just irrelevant, Main idea is that congestion on roads is prevalent and for this to reduce pooling and small cars with single passengers has been recommended.

Only option B stands; negating it renders the conclusion invalid.

suppose, if the pooling is already prevalent in the area then the argument would not have mentioned pooling it would have only mentioned small vehicles. but argument mentions pooling as a factor and hence it is a part of assumption for the argument to stand.

Hope this helps..!!

Practice Practice and practice...!!

If my reply /analysis is helpful-->please press KUDOS
If there's a loophole in my analysis--> suggest measures to make it airtight.

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 24

Re: If only the people using a carpool and only small cars [#permalink] New post 16 Apr 2012, 05:11
kraizada84 wrote:
Except B all other options are just irrelevant, Main idea is that congestion on roads is prevalent and for this to reduce pooling and small cars with single passengers has been recommended.

suppose, if the pooling is already prevalent in the area then the argument would not have mentioned pooling it would have only mentioned small vehicles. but argument mentions pooling as a factor and hence it is a part of assumption for the argument to stand.

Hope this helps..!!

why not E?
if roads are over crowded and if to solve this we need small cars it assumes that roads are not built to cope with high traffic itself
Current Student
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 680 Q44 V39

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 5

Re: If only the people using a carpool and only small cars [#permalink] New post 16 Apr 2012, 05:24
I somehow don't get this argument and the accompanying answers. What is the source of this question? I feel E is the answer. Very strange question.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 20

Re: If only the people using a carpool and only small cars [#permalink] New post 18 Apr 2012, 00:05
Answer B is correct based on point of elimination.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Operations, Strategy

Kudos [?]: 107 [0], given: 31

Re: If only the people using a carpool and only small cars [#permalink] New post 18 Apr 2012, 00:21
Runner2 wrote:
kraizada84 wrote:

Hope this helps..!!

why not E?
if roads are over crowded and if to solve this we need small cars it assumes that roads are not built to cope with high traffic itself

Negate E.
The roads are not built to cope with high traffic.

okay now the argument says for reducing congestion X and Y has to be done.
Nowhere in this agenda the statement that roads are built to cope with high traffic affects. The author doesnt care road may cope or not his agenda is pretty straight to reduce the congestion. both are different issues.

Negating E doesnt touches the argument hence is not correct.

Hope this helps..!!

Practice Practice and practice...!!

If my reply /analysis is helpful-->please press KUDOS
If there's a loophole in my analysis--> suggest measures to make it airtight.

Manager
Manager
Schools: LBS '14
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 55

Re: If only the people using a carpool and only small cars with [#permalink] New post 20 Feb 2013, 02:48
Runner2 wrote:
If only the people using a carpool and only small cars with single passengers were allowed to use the roads that remain over crowded throughout the day, it would greatly reduce the congestion on these roads. This will also reduce the accident rates.
Which of the following has been assumed by the above passage?

• Using small cars would be more convenient for people.
• As yet, not many people use a carpool.
• A reduction in traffic would lead to people driving at a higher speed.
• All the roads remain overcrowded.
• The roads are not built to cope with high traffic.

This would rather be a strengthen question than assumption question. POE pioints to B. But even B need not be an assumptions as negating it does not destroy the conclusion.
If many people did use a carpool, the author might argue that they did not use small cars. Both the conditions are necessary according to the author.

Kudo me if u like :)
SVP
SVP
Followers: 277

Kudos [?]: 66 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: If only the people using a carpool and only small cars with [#permalink] New post 14 Mar 2014, 06:34
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 10

Re: If only the people using a carpool and only small cars with [#permalink] New post 14 Mar 2014, 10:27
I am very confused between B and E.

B) It says "many". Now what does many mean ? Does it mean most ? It refers to a number and we dont know what proportion is it among the people who go by car. If 5% cars which amount to 100,000 do carpooling, still it is many people are already carpooling but its not sufficient to remove congestion.

E) This assumption covers everything. "High Traffic". If there is high traffic, that can lead to congestion and it can also lead to more accidents. So, if the roads are not meant to cope with high traffic, that would be a reasonable assumption for the "congestion" problem and also the proposed solution of "carpooling"

Someone needs to clarify. Where are all the CR gurus
Re: If only the people using a carpool and only small cars with   [#permalink] 14 Mar 2014, 10:27