Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 31 Aug 2014, 02:20

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

If p is a positive odd integer, what is the remainder when p

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 02 Mar 2008
Posts: 212
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 38 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
If p is a positive odd integer, what is the remainder when p [#permalink] New post 17 Mar 2008, 06:51
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 0 sessions
If p is a positive odd integer, what is the remainder when p is divided by 4
(1) when p is divided by 8, remainder is 5
(2) p is the sum of the squares of 2 positive integers
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 15 Aug 2007
Posts: 255
Schools: Chicago Booth
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 53 [0], given: 0

Re: DS prob [#permalink] New post 17 Mar 2008, 07:40
D. Just pick some examples. In the first case it's always 3, and in the second case it's always 1.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 02 Mar 2008
Posts: 212
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 38 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: DS prob [#permalink] New post 17 Mar 2008, 07:50
Thanks, after a while i can prove it systematically, i missed out the (2) at the 1st time, (1) is easy...

Another one...

Each employee of Z is an employee of either Division X or Division Y, not both. If each has some part-time employees, is the ratio of the number of full-time to part-time employees greater for X than for Z?
(1) Ratio of full-time to the number of part-time is less for Y than for Z
(2) More than half of the full-time employees of Z are employees of X, and more than half of the part-time are Y.

Common sense .. can guess out, but is there any way of proving? what i mean 'short' is maybe less than 1min, but sure on the result.... welcome input
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 15 Aug 2007
Posts: 255
Schools: Chicago Booth
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 53 [0], given: 0

Re: DS prob [#permalink] New post 17 Mar 2008, 08:58
AlbertNTN wrote:
Thanks, after a while i can prove it systematically, i missed out the (2) at the 1st time, (1) is easy...

Another one...

Each employee of Z is an employee of either Division X or Division Y, not both. If each has some part-time employees, is the ratio of the number of full-time to part-time employees greater for X than for Z?
(1) Ratio of full-time to the number of part-time is less for Y than for Z
(2) More than half of the full-time employees of Z are employees of X, and more than half of the part-time are Y.

Common sense .. can guess out, but is there any way of proving? what i mean 'short' is maybe less than 1min, but sure on the result.... welcome input


D

I would personally prefer to atleast write it down in some form of equation or inequality before taking a shot at it. From statement 1 you can say:
(Fx+Fy)/(Px+Py) > Fy/Py so it makes sense to say (Fx+Fy)/(Px+Py) < Fx/Px
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 07 Jan 2008
Posts: 297
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: DS prob [#permalink] New post 22 May 2008, 05:00
AlbertNTN wrote:
If p is a positive odd integer, what is the remainder when p is divided by 4
(1) when p is divided by 8, remainder is 5
(2) p is the sum of the squares of 2 positive integers


1- List of numbers that when divided by 8 have a remainder of 5:
5, 13, 21, 29, 37,...
divide all these numbers by 4. Here remainder is 1.

2. p is odd, so we need one odd and one even for the sum to be odd.

1^2 + 2^2 = 5 =>remainder = 1
2^2 + 11^2 = 125 ==> remainder = 1

D.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 07 Jan 2008
Posts: 297
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: DS prob [#permalink] New post 22 May 2008, 05:02
sreehari wrote:
D. Just pick some examples. In the first case it's always 3, and in the second case it's always 1.


I believe this is GMATPrep question and in GMAT both A and B, if answer is D, should produce same result - so if you come across the case where you get two different results in A and B something is wrong :)
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 26 Jul 2007
Posts: 32
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

Re: DS prob [#permalink] New post 23 May 2008, 01:30
sreehari wrote:
D. Just pick some examples. In the first case it's always 3, and in the second case it's always 1.

Hello, i found A here.
I don't get what you affirm here because for stmt 2, if p=52 we have remainder(p/4)=0 since 4*12=52 and p=52=16+36=4^2+6^2
But if p=25=16+9=4^2+3^2, remainder(p/4)=1 since 25=4*6+1
So, the second statement is unsufficient!

Edit:
Ok i miss what is said here p positive odd integer
So it's D.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 11 Apr 2008
Posts: 157
Schools: Kellogg(A), Wharton(W), Columbia(D)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 55 [0], given: 0

Re: DS prob [#permalink] New post 23 May 2008, 04:41
mbawaters wrote:
AlbertNTN wrote:
If p is a positive odd integer, what is the remainder when p is divided by 4
(1) when p is divided by 8, remainder is 5
(2) p is the sum of the squares of 2 positive integers


1- List of numbers that when divided by 8 have a remainder of 5:
5, 13, 21, 29, 37,...
divide all these numbers by 4. Here remainder is 1.

2. p is odd, so we need one odd and one even for the sum to be odd.
1^2 + 2^2 = 5 =>remainder = 1
2^2 + 11^2 = 125 ==> remainder = 1

D.


Heres the clue =>

p is odd, so we need one odd and one even for the sum to be odd =>
sum of sqaures is of the form => (2x)^2 + (2x+1)^2 => 4(2x^2+x)+1
Thus, the remainder is always one.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 01 May 2008
Posts: 114
Location: São Paulo
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

Re: DS prob [#permalink] New post 23 May 2008, 08:50
AlbertNTN wrote:
If p is a positive odd integer, what is the remainder when p is divided by 4
(1) when p is divided by 8, remainder is 5
(2) p is the sum of the squares of 2 positive integers


I think it´s A:

(1) when p is divided by 8, remainder is 5 - OK, suff
(2) p is the sum of the squares of 2 positive integers - Lest´s try
1^2 + 1^2 = 2 - remainder 2
2^2 + 2^2 = 8 - remainder 0
3^2 + 3^2 = 18 - remainder 2
4^2 + 4^2 = 32 - remainder 0
5^2 + 5^2 = 50 - remainder 2

HOW CAN IT BE SUFFICIENT??
Re: DS prob   [#permalink] 23 May 2008, 08:50
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
14 Experts publish their posts in the topic If p is a positive odd integer, what is the remainder when p BANON 12 23 Feb 2012, 07:09
1 If p is a positive odd integer, what is the remainder when p prince13 11 26 Oct 2008, 04:51
If p is a positive odd integer, what is the remainder when p Nerdboy 7 22 Sep 2008, 05:02
If p is a positive odd integer, what is the remainder when p briks123 10 23 Jul 2007, 07:25
If p is a positive odd integer, what is the remainder when p kjmath 7 16 Jan 2007, 09:17
Display posts from previous: Sort by

If p is a positive odd integer, what is the remainder when p

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.