Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 08:27 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 08:27

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 84 [84]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618756 [23]
Given Kudos: 81587
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 333 [10]
Given Kudos: 7
 Q51  V44
GPA: 3.8
WE 1: 2 yrs - Oilfield Service
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 78 [0]
Given Kudos: 51
GMAT 1: 630 Q42 V35
Send PM
Re: If P is a set of integers and 3 is in P, is every positive [#permalink]
Bunuel plz help. I m stuck here, how does st (1) ensure that just +ve multiples of 3 are in set P? For instance if it has -6, than 3 + -6 =-3, is also in that set, so the statement holds true but it has -ve multiples within the set. So I answered E due to the condition of "+ve multiples"
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618756 [3]
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
sunaimshadmani wrote:
Bunuel plz help. I m stuck here, how does st (1) ensure that just +ve multiples of 3 are in set P? For instance if it has -6, than 3 + -6 =-3, is also in that set, so the statement holds true but it has -ve multiples within the set. So I answered E due to the condition of "+ve multiples"

Please pay attention to the part in red:
If P is a set of integers and 3 is in P, is every positive multiple of 3 in P?

Positive multiples of 3 are: 3, 6, 9, 12, 15, ... The question asks whether ALL these numbers are in the set P, taking into account that 3 is in this set.

(1) For any integer in P, the sum of 3 and that integer is also in P --> if \(x\) is in the set, so is \(x+3\) --> we know 3 is in P, hence \(3+3=6\) is also in, and as 6 is in so is \(6+3=9\), and so on. Which means that ALL positive multiples of 3 are in the set P. Sufficient.

Side note: above does not mean that only positive multiples of 3 are in P, there can be other numbers but we are only interested in them.

(2) For any integer in P, that integer minus 3 is also in P --> if \(x\) is in the set, so is \(x-3\) --> we know 3 is in P, hence \(3-3=0\) is also in and as 0 is in, so is \(0-3=-3\), and so on. So we are not sure whether all positive multiples of 3 are in P, all we know that there will be following numbers: 3, 0, -3, -6, -9, -12, ... Not sufficient.

Answer: A.

The question does NOT ask whether P consists ONLY of positive multiples of 3. It asks whether every positive multiple of 3 in P.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 78 [0]
Given Kudos: 51
GMAT 1: 630 Q42 V35
Send PM
Thanks. The last line made it crystal clear :)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 33
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V28
GPA: 3.46
WE:Sales (Computer Software)
Send PM
Bunuel wrote:
Caffmeister wrote:

(1) For any integer in P, the sum of 3 and that integer is also in P.

(2) For any integer in P, that integer minus 3 is also in P.

I had difficulty with this question because of the wording, I wasn't sure what they were looking for exactly, and I didn't find the explanation in the book to be sufficient. If anyone can break it down into an easier explanation I'd apprecaite it.

Positive multiples of 3 are: 3, 6, 9, 12, 15, ... The question asks whether ALL these numbers are in the set P, taking into account that 3 is in this set.

(1) For any integer in P, the sum of 3 and that integer is also in P --> if \(x\) is in the set, so is \(x+3\) --> we know 3 is in P, hence \(3+3=6\) is also in, and as 6 is in so is \(6+3=9\), and so on. Which means that ALL positive multiples of 3 are in the set P. Sufficient.

Side note: above does not mean that only positive multiples of 3 are in P, there can be other numbers but we are only interested in them.

(2) For any integer in P, that integer minus 3 is also in P --> if \(x\) is in the set, so is \(x-3\) --> we know 3 is in P, hence \(3-3=0\) is also in and as 0 is in, so is \(0-3=-3\), and so on. So we are not sure whether all positive multiples of 3 are in P, all we know that there will be following numbers: 3, 0, -3, -6, -9, -12, ... Not sufficient.

Hope it's clear.

I'm not very clear with this answer. If your statement 2 can state like that, how didn't you question statement 1 in the same way? It means that we're not sure about whether set P contains min number like 0, 3, 6. Set P can start from 500 for example. In that case not every multiple of 3 is in the set P. Insufficient
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618756 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
hoangphuc wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
Caffmeister wrote:

I had difficulty with this question because of the wording, I wasn't sure what they were looking for exactly, and I didn't find the explanation in the book to be sufficient. If anyone can break it down into an easier explanation I'd apprecaite it.

Hope it's clear.

I'm not very clear with this answer. If your statement 2 can state like that, how didn't you question statement 1 in the same way? It means that we're not sure about whether set P contains min number like 0, 3, 6. Set P can start from 500 for example. In that case not every multiple of 3 is in the set P. Insufficient

We know that 3 is in the set. From (1) we also know that if any integer is in the set, then (that integer) + 3 is also in the set. Since 3 is in the set, then so must be 3 + 3 = 6. If 6 is in the set, then so must be 6 + 3 = 9, and so on.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Hi Bunnel,

I understand how A is right, but I think B should also works fine. Because the second statement clearly mentions for every
Integer minus three results in that set. So now for. the given question 3 is already present, and that we need 6 in the set to get the result 3. So we only need multiples of 3 in positives too.
Math Expert
Send PM
Expert Reply
gvrk_77 wrote:
Hi Bunnel,

I understand how A is right, but I think B should also works fine. Because the second statement clearly mentions for every
Integer minus three results in that set. So now for. the given question 3 is already present, and that we need 6 in the set to get the result 3. So we only need multiples of 3 in positives too.

Not so. You cannot say that if 3 is there than 6 must also be there. What if the set is {3, 0, -3, -6, -9, -12, ... } So, basically what if 3 is the source integer?

Similar questions to practice:
https://gmatclub.com/forum/for-a-certai ... 36580.html
https://gmatclub.com/forum/a-set-of-num ... 98829.html
https://gmatclub.com/forum/k-is-a-set-o ... 03005.html
https://gmatclub.com/forum/k-is-a-set-o ... 96907.html
https://gmatclub.com/forum/for-a-certain ... 36580.html
https://gmatclub.com/forum/for-a-certai ... 61920.html

Hope this helps.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Bunuel wrote:
gvrk_77 wrote:
Hi Bunnel,

Not so. You cannot say that if 3 is there than 6 must also be there. What if the set is {3, 0, -3, -6, -9, -12, ... } So, basically what if 3 is the source integer?

Hope this helps.

Hi bunnel,
So now as you’ve mentioned that what if the set consists of {3, 0, -3, -6, -9, -12, ... } is possible solution, then there is only one positive number which is multiple of 3 and that itself will satisfy the condition. We can’t write the set as {3, 2, 1, 0, -3, -6, -9, -12, ... }. Please help what I’m missing

Thanks,
Rajesh
Math Expert
Send PM
Expert Reply
gvrk_77 wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
gvrk_77 wrote:
Hi Bunnel,

Hope this helps.

Hi bunnel,
So now as you’ve mentioned that what if the set consists of {3, 0, -3, -6, -9, -12, ... } is possible solution, then there is only one positive number which is multiple of 3 and that itself will satisfy the condition. We can’t write the set as {3,2, 1, 0, -3, -6, -9, -12, ... }. Please help what I’m missing

Thanks,
Rajesh

The question asks: is every positive multiple of 3 in P? So, basically the question asks whether 3, 6, 9, 12, 15, ... ALL positive multiple of 3 are is set P. It's certainly possible ALL of them to be in the set, if the set is {..., -12, -9, -6, -3, 0, 3, 6, 9, 12, ...} nothing prevents this set to be an actual one (answer YES) but it's also possible the set to be {3, 0, -3, -6, -9, -12, ... } (answer NO).
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
I would go for E as well...

Imagine that the set mentioned is the set of all integers:
[...,-3,-2,-1,0,1,2,3,...]
Or it is a set of integers n, where n = 0+3k or n = 1+3k, k being any intenger:
[...-4,-3,-1,0,2,3,5,...]

In this case, the set satisfy statement a and b, but not every number in the set is a multiple of 3
so statement a and b are insufficient
Math Expert
Send PM
Expert Reply
patriciadfer wrote:

In this case, the set satisfy statement a and b, but not every number in the set is a multiple of 3

The question does not ask whether all the numbers in the set are multiple of 3. The question asks whether all positive multiples of 3 are in the set. The correct answer to the question is A, not E. Please read the discussion above carefully and follow the links provided.

Hope it helps.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 56 [0]
Given Kudos: 446
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V42
Send PM
Bunuel wrote:
patriciadfer wrote:

The question does not ask whether all the numbers in the set are multiple of 3. The question asks whether all positive multiples of 3 are in the set. The correct answer to the question is A, not E. Please read the discussion above carefully and follow the links provided.

Hope it helps.

Bunuel

I am not clear how 2nd statement is insufficient. According to me second statement should be sufficient as it has all the elements that are Element-3,

If there is an infinitely large number that is a multiple of 3 say 3333333333 then it will have 3333333330 in the set but it will not have 3333333336 in the set. If it has 3333333336 in the set it will not have 3333333339 in the set.

It does not guarantee that all positive multiple of 3 are there in the set as all positive multiple can tend to infinity.

Hence the statement 2 should be sufficient.

Posted from my mobile device
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 2499 [0]
Given Kudos: 459
Send PM
Mudit27021988 wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
patriciadfer wrote:

Hope it helps.

Bunuel

I am not clear how 2nd statement is insufficient. According to me second statement should be sufficient as it has all the elements that are Element-3,

If there is an infinitely large number that is a multiple of 3 say 3333333333 then it will have 3333333330 in the set but it will not have 3333333336 in the set. If it has 3333333336 in the set it will not have 3333333339 in the set.

It does not guarantee that all positive multiple of 3 are there in the set as all positive multiple can tend to infinity.

Hence the statement 2 should be sufficient.

Hi

In your example, if 3333333333 is present, then its sure that 3333333330 is also present.
and now since 3333333330 is present, we are sure that 3333333327 is also present.
Similarly 3333333324, 3333333321, .........., 9, 3, 0, -3, -6, -9, .... are ALL present.

But we cannot be sure about multiples of 3 greater than 3333333333. 3333333336 might or might not be present. Statement 2 doesn't say that 'element + 3' cannot be present, it says that 'element - 3' has to be present.

So we cannot be sure whether ALL positive multiples of 3 are present or not.

Thats why statement 2 is NOT sufficient.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 56 [0]
Given Kudos: 446
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V42
Send PM
Hi,
Thanks for the reply.
But what validates statement 1 is that for every integer , t, t+3 exists in the set, and as solution says, the set is infinite. It DOES ENSURE that all positive multiples of 3 are in the set.
The question stem reads " is every positive multiple of 3 in P?" Its doesn't say all the elements of P are multiple of 3. Domain of " all possible multiples of 3" is not same as the domain of set P, instead its much larger.

I hope I am able to convey the message.

Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 2499 [0]
Given Kudos: 459
Send PM
Mudit27021988 wrote:
Hi,
Thanks for the reply.
But what validates statement 1 is that for every integer , t, t+3 exists in the set, and as solution says, the set is infinite. It DOES ENSURE that all positive multiples of 3 are in the set.
The question stem reads " is every positive multiple of 3 in P?" Its doesn't say all the elements of P are multiple of 3. Domain of " all possible multiples of 3" is not same as the domain of set P, instead its much larger.

I hope I am able to convey the message.

Hi

As you yourself said, "statement 1 DOES ENSURE that all positive multiples of 3 are in the set". Hence it is sufficient to answer the Question with a YES

But statement 2 just ensures that all negative multiples of 3 are in P"..because its given that 3 is in P, so 3-3=0 also must be there, so 0-3 =-3 also must be there, so -3-3= -6 also must be there and so on... But we simply cannot say whether positive multiples of 3 are present in P or not. There could be some positive multiples of 3 in P, there could be ALL positive multiples of 3 in P who knows.. we just cannot answer the asked question with either a YES or a NO.. thats why statement 2 is not sufficient.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 4927 [0]
Given Kudos: 690
Concentration: Accounting
Send PM
Top Contributor
Caffmeister wrote:

(1) We can take any integer of set P, 3 is in P. Then 3+3=6; 6+3= 9... and so on. Sufficient.

(2) We can take any integer of set P, 3 is in P. Then 3-3=0; 0-3=-3 and so on. So, P has (3, 0, -3). Thus P has a Positive number, non-negative, and negative. Insufficient.

The answer is A.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Send PM
Regarding Statement 1, what if 1 is in P ---> 1+3=4 which is not multiple of 3 (Same goes for 2,4,5.....) =>Insufficient

Regarding statement 2, What if 10 is in P--> 10-3=7 which is not multiple of 3=>Insufficient

Taking 1 and 2 together suppose 10 is in P --> 10-3=7 and 10+3=13 in P and both 7 and 13 are not multiple of 3 =>Insufficient
E
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   
Moderator:
Math Expert
92902 posts