Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 26 Aug 2016, 19:00
GMAT Club Tests

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

If p is an integer and m = -p + (-2)**p, is m**3 > 1?

  post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 18 Aug 2005
Posts: 2
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

If p is an integer and m = -p + (-2)**p, is m**3 > 1? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Nov 2005, 07:58
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 0 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

This topic is locked. If you want to discuss this question please re-post it in the respective forum.

Question 1

If p is an integer and m = -p + (-2)**p, is m**3 > 1?

(1) p is even
(2) p**3 <= -1


Question 2

In a certain city the ratio of the numbr of people
who purchase newspaper X to the numb of people
who purchases newspaper Y is 7:1. What percent of
the population purchases newspaper Y?

(1) 27% of population purchases neither newspaper X nor newspaper Y.
(2) 70% of the people wo purchase newspaper Y also purchase newspaper X.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 12 Mar 2005
Posts: 65
Location: Milton Keynes UK
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Nov 2005, 08:39
Answer to question 2 is;

9.125 % of the population purchases newspaper Y
_________________

The ability to focus attention on important things is a defining characteristic of intelligence.
--by Robert J. Shiller

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 15 Aug 2005
Posts: 136
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Nov 2005, 11:15
Ans. to Q 1
C


i) p is even
so p could be -2, 0, 2

Plugging values in the eqn:
p -2 , 0 , 2
m 2.25 , 1 , 2

Insufficient

ii) p**3 < -1 so p is negative

Plugging values in the eqn:
p -1 , -2 , -3
m 0.5 , 2.25 , 3.125

Insufficient

But i & ii together are sufficient
SVP
SVP
User avatar
Joined: 28 May 2005
Posts: 1723
Location: Dhaka
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 248 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Nov 2005, 12:22
believe2 wrote:
Ans. to Q 1
C


i) p is even
so p could be -2, 0, 2

Plugging values in the eqn:
p -2 , 0 , 2
m 2.25 , 1 , 2

Insufficient

ii) p**3 < -1 so p is negative

Plugging values in the eqn:
p -1 , -2 , -3
m 0.5 , 2.25 , 3.125

Insufficient

But i & ii together are sufficient


yup C is the anwer. very good question in deed.
_________________

hey ya......

Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 27 Jun 2005
Posts: 506
Location: MS
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 77 [0], given: 0

Re: DS from Kaplan [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Nov 2005, 13:58
gmatjay wrote:

Question 2



In a certain city the ratio of the numbr of people
who purchase newspaper X to the numb of people
who purchases newspaper Y is 7:1. What percent of
the population purchases newspaper Y?

(1) 27% of population purchases neither newspaper X nor newspaper Y.
(2) 70% of the people wo purchase newspaper Y also purchase newspaper X.


A

(1) 27% of population purchases neither newspaper X nor newspaper Y.
sufficient 73*1/8

2) not Sufficient
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 12 Mar 2005
Posts: 65
Location: Milton Keynes UK
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Dec 2005, 06:06
Good to see you get the same answer.

73*1/8 = 9.125%

:)
_________________

The ability to focus attention on important things is a defining characteristic of intelligence.
--by Robert J. Shiller

Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 16 Feb 2007
Posts: 73
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: DS from Kaplan [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Aug 2007, 10:10
cool_jonny009 wrote:
gmatjay wrote:

Question 2



In a certain city the ratio of the numbr of people
who purchase newspaper X to the numb of people
who purchases newspaper Y is 7:1. What percent of
the population purchases newspaper Y?

(1) 27% of population purchases neither newspaper X nor newspaper Y.
(2) 70% of the people wo purchase newspaper Y also purchase newspaper X.


A

(1) 27% of population purchases neither newspaper X nor newspaper Y.
sufficient 73*1/8

2) not Sufficient


could somebody check this please? my initial answer was also (A), but the kaplan solution says it is not sufficient since the ratio does not include the percentage of population reading BOTH newspapers... so their answer is (C).

does the "ratio rule" (i.e. 73*1/8) perhaps only work when there is no overlap of two things??

thanx!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 27 Aug 2007
Posts: 253
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Aug 2007, 09:36
can someone provide with last answer to this question I mean value in percentages?

Thanx in advance
  [#permalink] 29 Aug 2007, 09:36
Display posts from previous: Sort by

If p is an integer and m = -p + (-2)**p, is m**3 > 1?

  post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.