Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 15 Sep 2014, 23:48

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

If p is the perimeter of rectangle Q, what is the value of p

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Expert Post
Math Expert
Followers: 3487

Kudos [?]: 26177 [0], given: 2706

If p is the perimeter of rectangle Q, what is the value of p [#permalink] New post 16 Jul 2012, 03:56
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

15% (low)

Question Stats:

71% (01:51) correct 29% (01:03) wrong based on 235 sessions
If p is the perimeter of rectangle Q, what is the value of p?

(1) Each diagonal of rectangle Q has length 10.
(2) The area of rectangle Q is 48.

Diagnostic Test
Question: 48
Page: 26
Difficulty: 650
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

NEW TO MATH FORUM? PLEASE READ THIS: ALL YOU NEED FOR QUANT!!!

PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 11 Rules for Posting!!!

RESOURCES: [GMAT MATH BOOK]; 1. Triangles; 2. Polygons; 3. Coordinate Geometry; 4. Factorials; 5. Circles; 6. Number Theory; 7. Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets; 9. PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders; 11. GMAT Prep Software Analysis NEW!!!; 12. SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) NEW!!!; 12. Tricky questions from previous years. NEW!!!;

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS ; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

What are GMAT Club Tests?
25 extra-hard Quant Tests

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

1 KUDOS received
BSchool Thread Master
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
Schools: XLRI (A)
GMAT 1: 570 Q49 V19
GMAT 2: 700 Q51 V31
GPA: 3
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 57

Kudos [?]: 240 [1] , given: 44

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: If p is the perimeter of rectangle 0, what is the value of p [#permalink] New post 16 Jul 2012, 10:00
This post received
KUDOS
Let x and y be two sides of the rectangle.. then p =x+y

Stat1
Diagonal = 10
=> x^2 + y^2 = 10^2
we cannot find p i.e. x+y using this info so NOT SUFFICIENT

Sta2
Area = 48
=> xy =48
we cannot find p i.e. x+y using this info so NOT SUFFICIENT

Combining (1) and (2)
we will get
value of x+y = sqrt (x+y)^2 = sqrt(x^2 + y^2 + 2xy) = sqrt ( 10^2 + 2*48)
sqrt(196) = 14

SUFFICIENT
So, answer will be C

ankit
you must believe

How to start GMAT preparations?
How to Improve Quant Score?
gmatclub topic tags
Check out my GMAT debrief
Thursdays with Ron link
Looking for a Quant tutor? Check out my post for the same!

Combined Formula Sheet :
Number Properties || Word Problems and PnC || Equations, Inequalities || Geometry

How to Solve :
Statistics || Reflection of a line || Remainder Problems

Expert Post
3 KUDOS received
Math Expert

Kudos [?]: 26177 [3] , given: 2706

Re: If p is the perimeter of rectangle 0, what is the value of p [#permalink] New post 20 Jul 2012, 03:40
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
SOLUTION

Question: P=2(a+b)=?

(1) Each diagonal of rectangle Q has length 10. d^2=a^2+b^2=100. Not sufficient.
(2) The area of rectangle Q is 48. ab=48. Not sufficient.

(1)+(2) Square P --> P^2=4(a^2+b^2+2ab). Now as from (1) a^2+b^2=100 and from (2) ab=48, then P^2=4(a^2+b^2+2ab)=4(100+2*48)=4*196 --> P=\sqrt{4*196}=2*14=28. Sufficient.

Answer: C.

Similar questions to practice:
if-the-diagonal-of-rectangle-z-is-d-and-the-perimeter-of-104205.html
what-is-the-area-of-rectangular-region-r-105414.html
what-is-the-perimeter-of-rectangle-r-96381.html

Hope it helps.

RESOURCES: [GMAT MATH BOOK]; 1. Triangles; 2. Polygons; 3. Coordinate Geometry; 4. Factorials; 5. Circles; 6. Number Theory; 7. Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets; 9. PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders; 11. GMAT Prep Software Analysis NEW!!!; 12. SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) NEW!!!; 12. Tricky questions from previous years. NEW!!!;

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS ; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: If p is the perimeter of rectangle 0, what is the value of p [#permalink] New post 28 Jul 2012, 14:42
If instead, Q were a square, would 1 be sufficient?

In a rectangle, why can't we use the Isosceles Triangle to figure out the third side since the diagonals bisect each other?
Expert Post
Math Expert

Re: If p is the perimeter of rectangle 0, what is the value of p [#permalink] New post 29 Jul 2012, 00:36
Expert's post
ctiger100 wrote:
If instead, Q were a square, would 1 be sufficient?

In a rectangle, why can't we use the Isosceles Triangle to figure out the third side since the diagonals bisect each other?

If we were told that Q is a square instead of a rectangle, then the answer would be D.

As for the second question: can you please explain what you mean? Generally you cannot find the sides of a rectangle just knowing the length of its diagonal, since knowing the length of hypotenuse (diagonal) in a right triangle (created by length and width), is not enough to find the legs of it (length and width).

Hope it's clear.

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 4

Re: If p is the perimeter of rectangle Q, what is the value of p [#permalink] New post 12 Dec 2012, 13:40
I'm sorry I'm still not seeing how this is not answer "A". I understand the logic at arriving at answer "C", I just don't understand why you NEED to combine statements "1" and "2", contradicts my entire understanding of Data Sufficiency logic.

A rectangle is comprised of 4 right angles, no?

So ultimately the "diagonal" represents the hypotenuse forming two right triangles, no?

Can you form a right triangle with a hypotenuse of 10 with any other legs besides 6 and 8? Or do I have that wrong?

(pythagorean triplet (3, 4, 5) , (6, 8, 10))
GPA: 3.21
WE: Business Development (Other)
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 285 [0], given: 656

Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: If p is the perimeter of rectangle Q, what is the value of p [#permalink] New post 13 Dec 2012, 02:21
kelleygrad05 wrote:
I'm sorry I'm still not seeing how this is not answer "A". I understand the logic at arriving at answer "C", I just don't understand why you NEED to combine statements "1" and "2", contradicts my entire understanding of Data Sufficiency logic.

So ultimately the "diagonal" represents the hypotenuse forming two right triangles, no?

Can you form a right triangle with a hypotenuse of 10 with any other legs besides 6 and 8? Or do I have that wrong?

Hi Kellygrad05,

There was a similar problem I was attempting yesterday on the forum.

Basically we are told that it is a rectangle but we aren't sure if the sides are Integers or not. For ex.

Diagonal-10, sides can be 6 and 8 (because of PT) or something like Square root 99 and 1...and such other combination

When you consider the st2 with above then we can figure out sides will be 6 and 8 as only in that condition Area will be 48 and Diagonal as 10.

Thanks

“If you can't fly then run, if you can't run then walk, if you can't walk then crawl, but whatever you do you have to keep moving forward.”

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Math Expert

Kudos [?]: 26177 [1] , given: 2706

Re: If p is the perimeter of rectangle Q, what is the value of p [#permalink] New post 13 Dec 2012, 03:18
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
kelleygrad05 wrote:

A right triangle with hypotenuse 10, doesn't mean that we have (6, 8, 10) right triangle. If we are told that the lengths of all sides are integers, then yes: the only integer solution for right triangle with hypotenuse 10 would be (6, 8, 10).

To check this: consider the right triangle with hypotenuse 10 inscribed in circle. We know that a right triangle inscribed in a circle must have its hypotenuse as the diameter of the circle. The reverse is also true: if the diameter of the circle is also the triangle’s side, then that triangle is a right triangle.

So ANY point on circumference of a circle with diameter of 10 would make the right triangle with diameter. Not necessarily sides to be 6 and 8. For example we can have isosceles right triangle, which would be 45-45-90: and the sides would be \frac{10}{\sqrt{2}}. OR if we have 30-60-90 triangle and hypotenuse is 10, sides would be 5 and 5*\sqrt{3}. Of course there could be many other combinations.

Similar questions to practice:
if-the-diagonal-of-rectangle-z-is-d-and-the-perimeter-of-104205.html
what-is-the-area-of-rectangular-region-r-105414.html
what-is-the-perimeter-of-rectangle-r-96381.html

Hope it helps.

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 4

Re: If p is the perimeter of rectangle Q, what is the value of p [#permalink] New post 13 Dec 2012, 07:37
Thank you Bunuel, it's clear my understanding of pythagorean triplets was incomplete. The example of the triangle within the circle was quite illuminating. So to summarize, if it is given that all sides of the triangle are integers, and the hypotenuse was given, only then I could have deduced it was part of a pythagorean triple, correct? Was that my only misstep at arriving at answer "A"?
Expert Post
Math Expert

Re: If p is the perimeter of rectangle Q, what is the value of p [#permalink] New post 13 Dec 2012, 07:43
Expert's post
kelleygrad05 wrote:
Thank you Bunuel, it's clear my understanding of pythagorean triplets was incomplete. The example of the triangle within the circle was quite illuminating. So to summarize, if it is given that all sides of the triangle are integers, and the hypotenuse was given, only then I could have deduced it was part of a pythagorean triple, correct? Was that my only misstep at arriving at answer "A"?

Yes, that's correct.

For more check Triangles chapter of out Math Book: math-triangles-87197.html

DS geometry questions: search.php?search_id=tag&tag_id=32
PS geometry questions: search.php?search_id=tag&tag_id=53

Hope it helps.

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 47

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: If p is the perimeter of rectangle Q, what is the value of p [#permalink] New post 17 Dec 2013, 11:07
Bunuel wrote:

Diagnostic Test

1) Basically, in saying that the diagonal is 10, they are giving us the hypotenuse of a right triangle. There is no info about the two other sides though, so insufficient.

2) They are simply telling us the area, which is not enough for us to know the perimeter since there are many different products of two that can yield 48.

However, taking 1 and 2 together, they are giving us the hypothenuse (in 1) and the RELATION between the two other sides of the triangle (in statement 2). Since the pythagoran theorem restricts which size two sides can have, if we are given the third (hypothenuse), then this relation between the other two sides is enough.

Notice that I did not do any calculation at all. The DS questions are more about "does this make sense?" than they are about testing if exact boundaries and relations hold up.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 47

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: If p is the perimeter of rectangle Q, what is the value of p [#permalink] New post 09 Jan 2014, 10:26
Bunuel wrote:

Diagnostic Test

Please, correct me if Im wrong because I really need to make sure my "process" is correct:

Statement one tells us that: (length)^2 + (width)^2 = 100

Statement two tells us that: (length)*(width) = 48

Obviously, the two statements alone are not sufficient.. So it's between C and E.

Basically, we are given two equations and two unknowns, so we can solve for both X and Y, and thus we can solve for 2x + 2y = p.

That's why C is correct.

Bunuel, is this process valid?
Re: If p is the perimeter of rectangle Q, what is the value of p   [#permalink] 09 Jan 2014, 10:26