Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Jul 2014, 03:29

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

If points A, B, and C lie on a circle of radius 1, what is

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

If points A, B, and C lie on a circle of radius 1, what is [#permalink] New post 19 Mar 2011, 12:20
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

35% (medium)

Question Stats:

66% (02:01) correct 34% (00:39) wrong based on 62 sessions
Points A, B, and C lie on a circle of radius 1. What is the area of triangle ABC?

(1) AB^2 = BC^2 + AC^2
(2) \angle CAB equals 30 degrees.

[Reveal] Spoiler:
Quote:
If points A, B, and C lie on a circle of radius 1, what is the area of triangle ABC?

1. AB^2 =AC^2+BC^2
2. Angle CAB equals 30 degrees

The previous answers in this forum tended for C as the correct answer. I've marked B not C and let me explain why

statement (1) suggests that there's a right triangle, BUT the angle sides might be different and the area of triangle might vary with these angle mesaures. E.g. when angles follow 45-45-90 the area of triangle would be 1, while with 30-60-90 the area of triangle is Sqrt(3)/2 Not Sufficient;

statement (2) Very interesting statement offering the inscribed angle measurement. If we find the angle CAB intercepted at the center, we get (30`)*2 OR 60`. Additionally, with the centrally intercepted angle we have the isosceles triangle with the base angles 60` which convert into the equilateral triangle, since all angles are 60` (BC=OC=OB). SO, side BC is equal to radius 1.

If we continue the line BO from the point O up-to the point D we receive height DC for the side BC of triangle ABC. Now we need to calculate the height which is easy by knowing triangle BCD is a right triangle and angle CBD=60`. So, DC is Sqrt(3). The area of triangle ABC using all these properties ---> base (BC)*height (CD)/2 = 1*Sqrt(3)/2, Sufficient as we can answer the questions area of triangle ABC=Sqrt(3)/2 therefore answer B.
Attachment:
dr03.JPG
dr03.JPG [ 11.91 KiB | Viewed 3323 times ]
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
1 KUDOS received
CEO
CEO
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
Schools: ISB '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 670 Q49 V31
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V35
Followers: 175

Kudos [?]: 892 [1] , given: 235

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: Area of Triangle inside a Circle [#permalink] New post 19 Mar 2011, 12:29
This post received
KUDOS
The answer is C.

Take a minute and think why the height of triangle ABC is CD.

The height of triangle ABC should AE where E is the point extended the line BC from C.

Fight for your dreams :For all those who fear from Verbal- lets give it a fight

Money Saved is the Money Earned :)

Jo Bole So Nihaal , Sat Shri Akaal

:thanks Support GMAT Club by putting a GMAT Club badge on your blog/Facebook :thanks

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Gmat test review :
670-to-710-a-long-journey-without-destination-still-happy-141642.html

Math Forum Moderator
Followers: 126

Kudos [?]: 876 [0], given: 376

GMAT Tests User
Re: Area of Triangle inside a Circle [#permalink] New post 19 Mar 2011, 13:16
Ans is C.

Possible inscribed triangles with 30^{\circ} angle.

All these triangles have different areas.
Attachments

Inscribed_Triangle_ABC.PNG
Inscribed_Triangle_ABC.PNG [ 3.79 KiB | Viewed 3302 times ]

~fluke

Expert Post
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
Followers: 1029

Kudos [?]: 4478 [0], given: 162

Re: Area of Triangle inside a Circle [#permalink] New post 19 Mar 2011, 18:55
Expert's post
zaur2010 wrote:
Quote:
If points A, B, and C lie on a circle of radius 1, what is the area of triangle ABC?

1. AB^2 =AC^2+BC^2

The previous answers in this forum tended for C as the correct answer. I've marked B not C and let me explain why

statement (1) suggests that there's a right triangle, BUT the angle sides might be different and the area of triangle might vary with these angle mesaures. E.g. when angles follow 45-45-90 the area of triangle would be 1, while with 30-60-90 the area of triangle is Sqrt(3)/2 Not Sufficient;

statement (2) Very interesting statement offering the inscribed angle measurement. If we find the angle CAB intercepted at the center, we get (30`)*2 OR 60`. Additionally, with the centrally intercepted angle we have the isosceles triangle with the base angles 60` which convert into the equilateral triangle, since all angles are 60` (BC=OC=OB). SO, side BC is equal to radius 1.

If we continue the line BO from the point O up-to the point D we receive height DC for the side BC of triangle ABC. Now we need to calculate the height which is easy by knowing triangle BCD is a right triangle and angle CBD=60`. So, DC is Sqrt(3). The area of triangle ABC using all these properties ---> base (BC)*height (CD)/2 = 1*Sqrt(3)/2, Sufficient as we can answer the questions area of triangle ABC=Sqrt(3)/2 therefore answer B.

First of all, I think it's a great effort. It is always refreshing when people try to analyze from different perspectives. There was one error though... Look at the diagram below and figure out which of the following colorful altitudes could help you find the area of the triangle? They are all perpendicular to their respective bases.
Attachment:
Ques2.jpg
Ques2.jpg [ 7.77 KiB | Viewed 3185 times ]

I think you will agree that the purple line cannot be used as an altitude to find the area of this triangle... I hope this helps you in identifying your mistake.

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Director
Director
Affiliations: Chicago Booth Class of 2015
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 180 [0], given: 123

Reviews Badge
Re: Area of Triangle inside a Circle [#permalink] New post 19 Mar 2011, 19:21
Except for the rt angled triangle the geometry cannot be defined with two parameters. First assume S1 right angled -one parameter (hyp is known). The other parameter is S2 (one angle is known)

Posted from my mobile device Image
Manager
Manager
Schools: ISB, IIMA ,SP Jain , XLRI
WE 1: Aditya Birla Group (sales)
WE 2: Saint Gobain Group (sales)
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 43 [0], given: 46

GMAT Tests User
Re: Area of Triangle inside a Circle [#permalink] New post 29 Mar 2011, 11:18
zaur2010 wrote:

1. AB^2 =AC^2+BC^2

my take is A
as by having 1 AB^2 =AC^2+BC^2 we are clear that it will be a right angle triangle with right angle at C
and then AB will be the diameter = 2 and then we know all the angles hence can find out the area

while with statement 2. Angle CAB equals 30 degrees
there are various possibilities of triangles with different hieghts and diffferent bases

please clarify :beat :beat

WarLocK

SVP
SVP
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
Followers: 30

Kudos [?]: 275 [0], given: 36

GMAT Tests User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Area of Triangle inside a Circle [#permalink] New post 29 Mar 2011, 17:17
@zaur2010, please extend line BC upwards and draw a perpendicular line from A dropping on that line, that will be the height of the triangle.

I don't know how to draw Geometry figures online, else would have done so.

Formula of Life -> Achievement/Potential = k * Happiness (where k is a constant)

SVP
SVP
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V39
WE: Corporate Finance (Investment Banking)
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 132 [0], given: 254

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: If points A, B, and C lie on a circle of radius 1, what is [#permalink] New post 27 Dec 2013, 15:02
zaur2010 wrote:
Quote:

1. AB^2 =AC^2+BC^2

I think I may have made a mistake

See, from Statement 1 we have that ABC is a right triangle, since it is inscribed in the circle then of course hypothenuse = diameter = 2

So then how can we find the area. Well can't we extend a height perpendicular to the diameter which will in fact be the radius = 1 to find it. With base and height we could have the area

Would anybody be so kind to explain why this reasoning is wrong?

Thanks a lot

Cheers!
J :)
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: If points A, B, and C lie on a circle of radius 1, what is [#permalink] New post 27 Dec 2013, 18:47
Jlgdr,Warlock,
I think you are considering the triangle as isosceles triangle with diameter AB. But the point C can be very near to say Point A or B and still be a right angle and statement 1 would be true. But the height ( perpendicular on AB from C ) would change and thus the area.
SVP
SVP
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V39
WE: Corporate Finance (Investment Banking)
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 132 [0], given: 254

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: If points A, B, and C lie on a circle of radius 1, what is [#permalink] New post 27 Dec 2013, 19:36
I get it, that's it
I need to get better at visualizing those figures

Cheers!
J:)

Posted from my mobile device Image
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 27

Re: If points A, B, and C lie on a circle of radius 1, what is [#permalink] New post 30 Apr 2014, 07:57
if we draw a right triangle in a circle , does the triangle have to have Hypotenuse as the Diameter of the Circle?

From this question it does seem so.

Can we not have something as shown in the figure attached.

Attachment:
Triangle 2.jpg
Triangle 2.jpg [ 97.85 KiB | Viewed 448 times ]
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Math Expert
Followers: 3243

Kudos [?]: 22383 [1] , given: 2616

Re: If points A, B, and C lie on a circle of radius 1, what is [#permalink] New post 30 Apr 2014, 08:55
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
qlx wrote:
if we draw a right triangle in a circle , does the triangle have to have Hypotenuse as the Diameter of the Circle?

Attachment:
Triangle 2.jpg

Yes, a right triangle inscribed in a circle must have its hypotenuse as the diameter of the circle (the reverse is also true: if the diameter of the circle is also the triangle’s hypotenuse, then that triangle is a right triangle)

Points A, B, and C lie on a circle of radius 1. What is the area of triangle ABC?

(1) AB^2 = BC^2 + AC^2 --> triangle ABC is a right triangle with AB as hypotenuse --> area=\frac{BC*AC}{2}. Now, a right triangle inscribed in a circle must have its hypotenuse as the diameter of the circle (the reverse is also true: if the diameter of the circle is also the triangle’s hypotenuse, then that triangle is a right triangle). So, hypotenuse AB=diameter=2*radius=2, but just knowing the length of the hypotenuse is not enough to calculate the legs of a right triangle thus we can not get the area. Not sufficient.

(2) \angle CAB equals 30 degrees. Clearly insufficient.

(1)+(2) From (1) ABC is a right triangle and from (2) \angle CAB=30 --> we have 30°-60°-90° right triangle and as AB=hypotenuse=2 then the legs equal to 1 and \sqrt{3} --> area=\frac{BC*AC}{2}=\frac{\sqrt{3}}{2}. Sufficient.

Answer: C.

NEW TO MATH FORUM? PLEASE READ THIS: ALL YOU NEED FOR QUANT!!!

PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 11 Rules for Posting!!!

RESOURCES: [GMAT MATH BOOK]; 1. Triangles; 2. Polygons; 3. Coordinate Geometry; 4. Factorials; 5. Circles; 6. Number Theory; 7. Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets; 9. PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders; 11. GMAT Prep Software Analysis NEW!!!; 12. SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) NEW!!!; 12. Tricky questions from previous years. NEW!!!;

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS ; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

What are GMAT Club Tests?
25 extra-hard Quant Tests

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
Followers: 1029

Kudos [?]: 4478 [1] , given: 162

Re: If points A, B, and C lie on a circle of radius 1, what is [#permalink] New post 30 Apr 2014, 22:10
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
qlx wrote:

Attachment:
Triangle 2.jpg

Think about it logically - in your figure, say the hypotenuse is AC. Now arc AC subtends an inscribed angle of 90 degrees. So the central angle it subtends must be 180 degrees (since it is twice the inscribed angle). Angle of 180 degrees at the center means it is a straight angle and AC is the diameter. So no matter how you draw the figure. If you have made a right triangle in a circle, its hypotenuse will be the diameter.

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Marketing, Finance
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 39

Reviews Badge
Re: If points A, B, and C lie on a circle of radius 1, what is [#permalink] New post 01 May 2014, 21:21
Bunuel wrote:
qlx wrote:

Attachment:
Triangle 2.jpg

Yes, a right triangle inscribed in a circle must have its hypotenuse as the diameter of the circle (the reverse is also true: if the diameter of the circle is also the triangle’s hypotenuse, then that triangle is a right triangle)

(1) AB^2 = BC^2 + AC^2 --> triangle ABC is a right triangle with AB as hypotenuse --> area=\frac{BC*AC}{2}. Now, a right triangle inscribed in a circle must have its hypotenuse as the diameter of the circle (the reverse is also true: if the diameter of the circle is also the triangle’s hypotenuse, then that triangle is a right triangle). So, hypotenuse AB=diameter=2*radius=2, but just knowing the length of the hypotenuse is not enough to calculate the legs of a right triangle thus we can not get the area. Not sufficient.

(1)+(2) From (1) ABC is a right triangle and from (2) \angle CAB=30 --> we have 30°-60°-90° right triangle and as AB=hypotenuse=2 then the legs equal to 1 and \sqrt{3} --> area=\frac{BC*AC}{2}=\frac{\sqrt{3}}{2}. Sufficient.

Hi Bunuel,

In the figure it is given that BD is the diameter. So if from statement 1, if AB is also a diameter, then BD and AB should be intersecting in the middle. However in the figure it is not shown in this way.

Can we still go ahead and think AB as diameter? Pls clarify.

Regards,
Thoufique
Expert Post
Math Expert
Followers: 3243

Kudos [?]: 22383 [0], given: 2616

Re: If points A, B, and C lie on a circle of radius 1, what is [#permalink] New post 02 May 2014, 00:23
Expert's post
thoufique wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
qlx wrote:

Attachment:
Triangle 2.jpg

Hi Bunuel,

In the figure it is given that BD is the diameter. So if from statement 1, if AB is also a diameter, then BD and AB should be intersecting in the middle. However in the figure it is not shown in this way.

Can we still go ahead and think AB as diameter? Pls clarify.

Regards,
Thoufique

Figure in the original post is not a part of the question, so don't refer to it while solving.

NEW TO MATH FORUM? PLEASE READ THIS: ALL YOU NEED FOR QUANT!!!

PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 11 Rules for Posting!!!

RESOURCES: [GMAT MATH BOOK]; 1. Triangles; 2. Polygons; 3. Coordinate Geometry; 4. Factorials; 5. Circles; 6. Number Theory; 7. Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets; 9. PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders; 11. GMAT Prep Software Analysis NEW!!!; 12. SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) NEW!!!; 12. Tricky questions from previous years. NEW!!!;

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS ; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

What are GMAT Club Tests?
25 extra-hard Quant Tests

Re: If points A, B, and C lie on a circle of radius 1, what is   [#permalink] 02 May 2014, 00:23