Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 01 Aug 2015, 14:52
GMAT Club Tests

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

If positive integer x is a multiple of 6 and positive

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 07 Jan 2010
Posts: 147
Location: So. CA
WE 1: 2 IT
WE 2: 4 Software Analyst
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 57

Re: DS QUESTION [#permalink] New post 25 Oct 2010, 21:23
always making number properties look so simple Bunuel!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 10 Nov 2010
Posts: 269
Location: India
Concentration: Strategy, Operations
GMAT 1: 520 Q42 V19
GMAT 2: 540 Q44 V21
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 121 [0], given: 22

xy multiple of 105 [#permalink] New post 04 Mar 2011, 23:57
82.) If positive integer x is a multiple of 6 and positive integer y is a multiple of 14, is xy a multiple of 105?

1) x is a multiple of 9
2) y is a multiple of 25

Guys i tried this question twice my answer C but OA is different

as x is multiple of 6 x has minimum two factors 2,3 maximum can be any
as y is multiple of 14 y has minimum two factors 7,2 maximum can be any

Is xy multiple of 105 or is xy has minimum 5,3,7...

1) x is multiple of 9

so xy must have 2,3,3,3 ,7,2

but we need 5 also --------NS

2) y is multiple of 25
so xy must have 2,3,7,2,5,5
Sufficient

OK guys i got B. which is OA
Thanks


but
_________________

The proof of understanding is the ability to explain it.

Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
User avatar
Status: mission completed!
Joined: 02 Jul 2009
Posts: 1420
GPA: 3.77
Followers: 172

Kudos [?]: 659 [0], given: 618

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: xy multiple of 105 [#permalink] New post 05 Mar 2011, 01:19
write this as follows:

x=6*a
y=14*b

where a, b integers

is xy is a multiple of 105? (or 35*3 or 3*7*5) ?

combine x*y=6*a*14*b= 2*3*2*7*a*b so to asnwer the question we must have at least a multiple of 3*5*7=105 out of which 3*7 exist . So the question reduces to whether either x or y have a 5 in itself or not.

1) not sufficient, we have been provided with data that x is a multipple of 9, but we do not have any additional information about y it may be or may not be a multiple of 5. we don't know exactly.

2) sufficient, becuase we are provided with the information that y is a multiple of 5 and we are provided with info that x and y are multiples of 6 and 14, it means that we have all sufficnet information to answer the question.

To check :
replace the y with any other number y=14*25*g , so g is any integer number becuase y is a multiple of both 14 and 25. and x is a multiple of 6 , so if combined you will have x*y=6*a*14*25*g=2100*a*g - this will produce a number which is a multiuple of 105. (2100 is divisible by 105).
_________________

Audaces fortuna juvat!

GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

SVP
SVP
avatar
Joined: 16 Nov 2010
Posts: 1678
Location: United States (IN)
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
Followers: 31

Kudos [?]: 364 [0], given: 36

Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: DS QUESTION [#permalink] New post 06 Mar 2011, 19:37
x = 6k
y = 14l

xy = (kl) * 3 * 2 * 7 * 2

From 1, x = 18m

=> xy = (lm) 3^2 * 7 * 2 * 2, 5 is missing, so not sufficient

From 2, y = 25 * 14 n

=> xy = (kn) 5^2 * 2 * 7 * 3 * 2, which has 105 as a factor, so sufficient

Answer is B.
_________________

Formula of Life -> Achievement/Potential = k * Happiness (where k is a constant)

GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
User avatar
Joined: 09 Sep 2013
Posts: 5708
Followers: 323

Kudos [?]: 63 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: If positive integer x is a multiple of 6 and positive [#permalink] New post 12 Mar 2015, 17:28
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
_________________

GMAT Books | GMAT Club Tests | Best Prices on GMAT Courses | GMAT Mobile App | Math Resources | Verbal Resources

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 13 Nov 2014
Posts: 6
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 45

Re: If positive integer x is a multiple of 6 and positive [#permalink] New post 17 Apr 2015, 09:54
Bunuel wrote:
zest4mba wrote:
If positive integer x is a multiple of 6 and positive integer y is a multiple of 14, is xy a multiple of 105 ?
(1) x is a multiple of 9.
(2) y is a multiple of 25.


Can someone explain this


\(105=3*5*7\). Since \(x\) is a multiple of 6 and \(y\) is a multiple of 14, then \(xy\) is a multiple of \(LCM(x,y)=2*3*7\): we have 3 and 7 as factors of \(xy\), so in order \(xy\) to be a multiple of 105 we need missing 5 to be a factor of either \(x\) or \(y\).

(1) x is a multiple of 9 --> we don't know whether 5 is a factor of either \(x\) or \(y\). Not sufficient.

(2) y is a multiple of 25 --> 5 is a factor of \(y\), hence \(xy\) is a multiple of 105. Sufficient.

Answer: B.


Hi Bunuel, are there any more questions like this one? It's a subject I need practice on. Thanks!
Expert Post
e-GMAT Representative
User avatar
Joined: 04 Jan 2015
Posts: 338
Followers: 61

Kudos [?]: 422 [0], given: 83

Re: If positive integer x is a multiple of 6 and positive [#permalink] New post 23 Apr 2015, 23:20
Expert's post
tgubbay1 wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
zest4mba wrote:
If positive integer x is a multiple of 6 and positive integer y is a multiple of 14, is xy a multiple of 105 ?
(1) x is a multiple of 9.
(2) y is a multiple of 25.


Can someone explain this


\(105=3*5*7\). Since \(x\) is a multiple of 6 and \(y\) is a multiple of 14, then \(xy\) is a multiple of \(LCM(x,y)=2*3*7\): we have 3 and 7 as factors of \(xy\), so in order \(xy\) to be a multiple of 105 we need missing 5 to be a factor of either \(x\) or \(y\).

(1) x is a multiple of 9 --> we don't know whether 5 is a factor of either \(x\) or \(y\). Not sufficient.

(2) y is a multiple of 25 --> 5 is a factor of \(y\), hence \(xy\) is a multiple of 105. Sufficient.

Answer: B.


Hi Bunuel, are there any more questions like this one? It's a subject I need practice on. Thanks!


Hi tgubbay1,

Why don't you give an attempt on this practice question:

Q: \(x, y\) are positive integers such that \(x\) is the lowest number which has 15 and 20 as its factor. Is \(x\) a factor of \(y\)?

(1) \(\frac{y}{2 *3^2}\) is an integer.

(2) \(\frac{y * z}{5}\) is an integer where \(z\) is a positive even integer whose units digit is not 0.


Let me know your approach and analysis for this practice question.

Also, you may try your hand at this question which tests similar concepts if-x-is-a-positive-integer-is-x-1-a-factor-of-126421.html

Regards
Harsh
_________________

https://e-gmat.com/courses/quant-live-prep/

Image

Fuqua Thread Master
avatar
Status: I Declare War!!!
Joined: 02 Apr 2014
Posts: 155
Location: United States
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT Date: 03-18-2015
WE: Asset Management (Investment Banking)
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 62 [0], given: 429

Premium Member
Re: If positive integer x is a multiple of 6 and positive [#permalink] New post 24 Apr 2015, 03:52
Hi,
I the answer of given question IS B?
approach:
we need to have 5 in the y to make x as its factor too
statement 1 ) y could be 18/ 54/ or 90... which involves 5 in one case and not in others.
hence insufficient
statement 2 ) z has unit digit of non zero, but its even. so this removes the probability of having z as 5. hence y has to be 5 or any number with unit digit as zero. this makes y as a factor of 5. this will result into integer.
sufficient.



kindly share the answer and the approach.
if the answer is correct then it calls for a kudos.
thanks



Why don't you give an attempt on this practice question:

Q: \(x, y\) are positive integers such that \(x\) is the lowest number which has 15 and 20 as its factor. Is \(x\) a factor of \(y\)?

(1) \(\frac{y}{2 *3^2}\) is an integer.

(2) \(\frac{y * z}{5}\) is an integer where \(z\) is a positive even integer whose units digit is not 0.


Let me know your approach and analysis for this practice question.

Also, you may try your hand at this question which tests similar concepts if-x-is-a-positive-integer-is-x-1-a-factor-of-126421.html

Regards
Harsh[/quote]
Expert Post
e-GMAT Representative
User avatar
Joined: 04 Jan 2015
Posts: 338
Followers: 61

Kudos [?]: 422 [0], given: 83

Re: If positive integer x is a multiple of 6 and positive [#permalink] New post 24 Apr 2015, 04:25
Expert's post
Celestial09 wrote:
Hi,
I the answer of given question IS B?
approach:
we need to have 5 in the y to make x as its factor too
statement 1 ) y could be 18/ 54/ or 90... which involves 5 in one case and not in others.
hence insufficient
statement 2 ) z has unit digit of non zero, but its even. so this removes the probability of having z as 5. hence y has to be 5 or any number with unit digit as zero. this makes y as a factor of 5. this will result into integer.
sufficient.



kindly share the answer and the approach.
if the answer is correct then it calls for a kudos.
thanks


Hi Celestial09,

Let me ask you a question. How did you infer that \(y\) needs to have only 5 as its factor to make \(x\) as its factor. Or to rephrase my question, what do you mean by "\(x\) is the lowest number which has 15 and 20 as its factor". Why don't you give it an another try.

Regards
Harsh
_________________

https://e-gmat.com/courses/quant-live-prep/

Image

Fuqua Thread Master
avatar
Status: I Declare War!!!
Joined: 02 Apr 2014
Posts: 155
Location: United States
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT Date: 03-18-2015
WE: Asset Management (Investment Banking)
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 62 [0], given: 429

Premium Member
Re: If positive integer x is a multiple of 6 and positive [#permalink] New post 27 Apr 2015, 05:39
Hi,
It should be C.
But still I would like to have an explanation as still I on my way to hard ds questions. Though I guess it is a milder version of it but lacking in explanation.
Thanks
Celestial



EgmatQuantExpert wrote:
Celestial09 wrote:
Hi,
I the answer of given question IS B?
approach:
we need to have 5 in the y to make x as its factor too
statement 1 ) y could be 18/ 54/ or 90... which involves 5 in one case and not in others.
hence insufficient
statement 2 ) z has unit digit of non zero, but its even. so this removes the probability of having z as 5. hence y has to be 5 or any number with unit digit as zero. this makes y as a factor of 5. this will result into integer.
sufficient.



kindly share the answer and the approach.
if the answer is correct then it calls for a kudos.
thanks


Hi Celestial09,

Let me ask you a question. How did you infer that \(y\) needs to have only 5 as its factor to make \(x\) as its factor. Or to rephrase my question, what do you mean by "\(x\) is the lowest number which has 15 and 20 as its factor". Why don't you give it an another try.

Regards
Harsh
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
e-GMAT Representative
User avatar
Joined: 04 Jan 2015
Posts: 338
Followers: 61

Kudos [?]: 422 [1] , given: 83

Re: If positive integer x is a multiple of 6 and positive [#permalink] New post 30 Apr 2015, 23:50
1
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Quote:
Hi tgubbay1,

Why don't you give an attempt on this practice question:

Q: \(x, y\) are positive integers such that \(x\) is the lowest number which has 15 and 20 as its factor. Is \(x\) a factor of \(y\)?

(1) \(\frac{y}{2 *3^2}\) is an integer.

(2) \(\frac{y * z}{5}\) is an integer where \(z\) is a positive even integer whose units digit is not 0.


Let me know your approach and analysis for this practice question.

Also, you may try your hand at this question which tests similar concepts if-x-is-a-positive-integer-is-x-1-a-factor-of-126421.html

Regards
Harsh


Detailed Solution:

Step-I: Given Info
We are given two positive integers \(x\) and \(y\) such that \(x\) is the lowest number that has 15 & 20 as its factors. We are asked to find if \(x\) is a factor of \(y\).

Step-II: Interpreting the Question Statement
We are asked to find if \(x\) is a factor of \(y\). For \(x\) to be a factor of \(y\), \(y\) should have the prime factors of \(x\) in their respective powers as its factors.

We are given that \(x\) is the lowest number that has 15 & 20 as its factors. We know that the lowest number which has two numbers as its factor is the LCM of those numbers. Prime factorizing 15 and 20 would give us

\(15 = 3^1 * 5^1\) and \(20 = 2^2 * 5^1\). We know that for calculating LCM we take the highest powers of prime factors. So, LCM (15, 20) = \(2^2 * 3^1 * 5^1\)

\(x=2^2*3^1 * 5^1\) . For \(x\) to be a factor of \(y\), \(y\) should have \(2^2, 3^1\) and \(5^1\)as its factors. Let’s see if the statements provide us sufficient information about the prime factors of \(y\).

Step-III: Analyze Statement-I independently
Statement- I tells us that \(\frac{y}{2*3^2}\) is an integer i.e. \(y\) has \(2\), \(3^2\) as its factors. For \(x\) to be a factor of \(y\), \(y\) should have \(2^2, 3^1\) and \(5^1\) as its factors. We don’t know about the other prime factors of \(y\).

So, statement-I is not sufficient to answer the question.

Step-IV: Analyze Statement-II independently
Statement-II tells us that \(\frac{y*z}{5}\) is an integer where \(z\) is a positive even integer whose units digit is not 0. Since, \(z\) is a positive even integer whose units digit is not 0, we can say that \(z\) is not a multiple of 5. Hence if \(\frac{y*z}{5}\) is an integer with \(z\) not being a multiple of 5, that would mean that \(y\) is a multiple of 5.

But we don’t know if \(y\) has \(2^2, 3^1\) as its factors.

So, statement-II is not sufficient to answer the question

Step-V: Combining Statements I & II
Combining statement- I & II, we can see that \(y\) has \(2,3^2,5\) as its factors. For a moment, combining both the statements seem sufficient to answer the question. But if we look back at step-II, we can see that for \(x\) to be a factor of \(y\), \(y\) should have \(2^2, 3^1\) and \(5^1\) as its factor. The power of the prime factor\(2\) is not sufficient to tell us if \(x\) is a factor of \(y\). Hence, we can’t say if \(x\) is a factor of \(y\).

So, combining both the statements is also not sufficient to answer the question.

Answer: (E)

Key takeaways
For most of the LCM-GCD questions, prime factorization is the key to the solution.

To know more in detail about the likely mistakes in LCM-GCD question, read the article 3 mistakes in LCM-GCD questions

Regards
Harsh
_________________

https://e-gmat.com/courses/quant-live-prep/

Image

Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 22 Apr 2015
Posts: 66
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 59 [0], given: 6

If positive integer x is a multiple of 6 and positive [#permalink] New post 01 May 2015, 09:56
tgubbay1 wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
zest4mba wrote:
If positive integer x is a multiple of 6 and positive integer y is a multiple of 14, is xy a multiple of 105 ?
(1) x is a multiple of 9.
(2) y is a multiple of 25.


Can someone explain this


\(105=3*5*7\). Since \(x\) is a multiple of 6 and \(y\) is a multiple of 14, then \(xy\) is a multiple of \(LCM(x,y)=2*3*7\): we have 3 and 7 as factors of \(xy\), so in order \(xy\) to be a multiple of 105 we need missing 5 to be a factor of either \(x\) or \(y\).

(1) x is a multiple of 9 --> we don't know whether 5 is a factor of either \(x\) or \(y\). Not sufficient.

(2) y is a multiple of 25 --> 5 is a factor of \(y\), hence \(xy\) is a multiple of 105. Sufficient.

Answer: B.


Hi Bunuel, are there any more questions like this one? It's a subject I need practice on. Thanks!


Hi Tgubbay1,

Try this:
http://gmatclub.com/forum/is-n-n-1-n-2-divisible-by-197090.html

Follow PrepTap to receive questions posted by us
If positive integer x is a multiple of 6 and positive   [#permalink] 01 May 2015, 09:56

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 32 posts ] 

    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
Experts publish their posts in the topic remainder when a positive integer x is divided by 6 Macsen 6 16 Nov 2011, 19:11
1 Experts publish their posts in the topic If x and y are positive integers, is 2x a multiple of y? (1) 144144 4 10 Sep 2011, 12:25
4 Experts publish their posts in the topic If x and y are positive integers and x is a multiple of y, banksy 12 26 Feb 2011, 16:44
11 Experts publish their posts in the topic If x and y are positive integers, is xy a multiple of 8? (1) Orange08 12 09 Oct 2010, 10:50
13 Experts publish their posts in the topic If x and y are positive integers, is 2x a multiple of y? allabout 12 01 Jan 2006, 13:03
Display posts from previous: Sort by

If positive integer x is a multiple of 6 and positive

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.