Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 20:49 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 20:49

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Difficulty: 555-605 Levelx   Divisibility/Multiples/Factorsx   Number Propertiesx                              
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 822 [372]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Healthcare, International Business
GMAT Date: 11-19-2013
WE:Brand Management (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618619 [300]
Given Kudos: 81563
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 3117 [28]
Given Kudos: 116
Concentration: Strategy
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE:Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [4]
Given Kudos: 14
Send PM
Re: If r and s are positive integers, can the fraction r/s be expressed as [#permalink]
Kudos
IMO it is A, if the denominator is a factor of 100 then it could be 1; 2; 5; 10; 20.. if you divide all the positive integer by these number you will have a finite decimal result.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 166 [1]
Given Kudos: 562
GMAT 1: 640 Q43 V34
GMAT 2: 630 Q47 V29
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Re: If r and s are positive integers, can the fraction r/s be expressed as [#permalink]
Kudos
you rock bunuel, your explanations are awesome.. thanks a lot for this one!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [2]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Kudos
But it has been said the 'decimal with finite number of non-zero digits'. Now if we take 2/50 then it will be 0.04, which means its a finite decimal but definitely it does not have all the non-zero digits after decimal point. So, can anybody explain?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 330 [1]
Given Kudos: 23
Send PM
Kudos
Hi Bunuel,

Speaking from a prime perspective, I could factor "100" into prime factors and since I get 2^2 and 5^2, that should suffice in coming up with the right answer, correct? I don't need to pull up every single factors - right?

If the denominator had ANY other primes then it would NOT be a terminating decimal. Is that correct?
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618619 [4]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
halloanupam wrote:
But it has been said the 'decimal with finite number of non-zero digits'. Now if we take 2/50 then it will be 0.04, which means its a finite decimal but definitely it does not have all the non-zero digits after decimal point. So, can anybody explain?

0.04 has finite number of non-zero digits: 4 is not followed by any non-zero digit.
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618619 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
russ9 wrote:
Hi Bunuel,

Speaking from a prime perspective, I could factor "100" into prime factors and since I get 2^2 and 5^2, that should suffice in coming up with the right answer, correct? I don't need to pull up every single factors - right?

If the denominator had ANY other primes then it would NOT be a terminating decimal. Is that correct?

Not entirely. The denominator can have some other primes as well but if those primes can be reduced the fraction still would be terminating. For example, consider fraction 3/6. The denominator has 3 in it, but it ca be reduced to get 3/6=1/2=0.5.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 25 [0]
Given Kudos: 74
GMAT 1: 610 Q42 V32
Send PM
Bunuel wrote:
asveaass wrote:
If r and s are positive integers, can the fraction r/s be expressed as a decimal with only a finite number of nonzero digits?

1) s is a factor of 100
2) r is a factor of 100

I don't understand the answer explanation in the OG, could someone please explain in detail?

THEORY:

Reduced fraction \(\frac{a}{b}\) (meaning that fraction is already reduced to its lowest term) can be expressed as terminating decimal if and only \(b\) (denominator) is of the form \(2^n5^m\), where \(m\) and \(n\) are non-negative integers. For example: \(\frac{7}{250}\) is a terminating decimal \(0.028\), as \(250\) (denominator) equals to \(2*5^3\). Fraction \(\frac{3}{30}\) is also a terminating decimal, as \(\frac{3}{30}=\frac{1}{10}\) and denominator \(10=2*5\).

Note that if denominator already has only 2-s and/or 5-s then it doesn't matter whether the fraction is reduced or not.

For example \(\frac{x}{2^n5^m}\), (where x, n and m are integers) will always be terminating decimal.

(We need reducing in case when we have the prime in denominator other then 2 or 5 to see whether it could be reduced. For example fraction \(\frac{6}{15}\) has 3 as prime in denominator and we need to know if it can be reduced.)

Why is it then 130/13 or 121/11 would give finite ... infact they properly divide...
Can someone please help ?
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618619 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
ani781 wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
asveaass wrote:
If r and s are positive integers, can the fraction r/s be expressed as a decimal with only a finite number of nonzero digits?

1) s is a factor of 100
2) r is a factor of 100

I don't understand the answer explanation in the OG, could someone please explain in detail?

THEORY:

Reduced fraction \(\frac{a}{b}\) (meaning that fraction is already reduced to its lowest term) can be expressed as terminating decimal if and only \(b\) (denominator) is of the form \(2^n5^m\), where \(m\) and \(n\) are non-negative integers. For example: \(\frac{7}{250}\) is a terminating decimal \(0.028\), as \(250\) (denominator) equals to \(2*5^3\). Fraction \(\frac{3}{30}\) is also a terminating decimal, as \(\frac{3}{30}=\frac{1}{10}\) and denominator \(10=2*5\).

Note that if denominator already has only 2-s and/or 5-s then it doesn't matter whether the fraction is reduced or not.

For example \(\frac{x}{2^n5^m}\), (where x, n and m are integers) will always be terminating decimal.

(We need reducing in case when we have the prime in denominator other then 2 or 5 to see whether it could be reduced. For example fraction \(\frac{6}{15}\) has 3 as prime in denominator and we need to know if it can be reduced.)

Why is it then 130/13 or 121/11 would give finite ... infact they properly divide...
Can someone please help ?

The rule above is for reduced fraction \(\frac{a}{b}\) (meaning that fraction is already reduced to its lowest term). When you reduce 130/13 to the lowest term you get 10 and when you reduce 121/11 you get 11: 10/(2^0*5^0) and 11/(2^0*5^0) respectively.

Check the links in my post above to practice more on this type of questions.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 76 [1]
Given Kudos: 98
GPA: 2.84
WE:Project Management (Telecommunications)
Send PM
If r and s are positive integers, can the fraction r/s be expressed as [#permalink]