Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 26 Jul 2014, 03:16

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

If r and s are positive integers, is r/s an integer?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
2 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 48 [2] , given: 6

If r and s are positive integers, is r/s an integer? [#permalink] New post 23 Feb 2012, 07:13
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

25% (low)

Question Stats:

58% (01:31) correct 42% (00:40) wrong based on 197 sessions

(1) Every factor of s is also a factor of r.
(2) Every prime factor of s is also a prime factor of r.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
Expert Post
3 KUDOS received
Math Expert
Followers: 3250

Kudos [?]: 22434 [3] , given: 2619

Re: If r and s are positive integers, is r/s an integer? [#permalink] New post 23 Feb 2012, 07:26
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post

(1) Every factor of s is also a factor of r. If every factor of s is also factor of r, then in fraction r/s, s will just be reduced and we get an integer. Sufficient.

(2) Every prime factor of s is also a prime factor of r. The powers of prime factors of s could be higher than powers of prime factors of r. eg 25/125=1/5 not an integer. Not sufficient.

Answer: A.

Hope it's clear.

NEW TO MATH FORUM? PLEASE READ THIS: ALL YOU NEED FOR QUANT!!!

PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 11 Rules for Posting!!!

RESOURCES: [GMAT MATH BOOK]; 1. Triangles; 2. Polygons; 3. Coordinate Geometry; 4. Factorials; 5. Circles; 6. Number Theory; 7. Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets; 9. PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders; 11. GMAT Prep Software Analysis NEW!!!; 12. SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) NEW!!!; 12. Tricky questions from previous years. NEW!!!;

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS ; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

What are GMAT Club Tests?
25 extra-hard Quant Tests

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 13

is x/y is an integer [#permalink] New post 11 Apr 2012, 12:05
All
could you provide ur thoughts on this please?

if x and y are positive integers, is x/y is an integer?

(1) every prime factor of x is also the prime factor of y
(2) every factor of x is also a factor of y

i went with D, since the word "every" confused me
but seems missed something
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 5

Re: is x/y is an integer [#permalink] New post 11 Apr 2012, 12:11
Galiya wrote:
All

i went with D, but seems missed something

The answer is B because:

if every prime factor x is also a prime factor of y - lets take an example:

X= 30 prime factors = 2, 3, 5
y = 60 prime factors = 2, 3, 5

but x/y = 1/2

whereas if all factors of x = all factors of y that simply tells us that x is y inclusive and therefore totally divisible by y.
Expert Post
Math Expert

Kudos [?]: 22434 [0], given: 2619

Re: is x/y is an integer [#permalink] New post 11 Apr 2012, 12:17
Expert's post
Galiya wrote:
All

i went with D, since the word "every" confused me
but seems missed something

Proper version of this question is in the initial post.

RESOURCES: [GMAT MATH BOOK]; 1. Triangles; 2. Polygons; 3. Coordinate Geometry; 4. Factorials; 5. Circles; 6. Number Theory; 7. Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets; 9. PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders; 11. GMAT Prep Software Analysis NEW!!!; 12. SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) NEW!!!; 12. Tricky questions from previous years. NEW!!!;

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS ; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

Manager
Manager

Re: If r and s are positive integers, is r/s an integer? [#permalink] New post 11 Apr 2012, 12:25
Bunuel
what about the word "every" - according to this i picked up numbers which satisfied this condition.
And one more point-official explanation "takes" the numbers 18 and 8, to explain the answer.
But 18 has the prime factors 2 and 3, but 8 hasn't 3 as a prime factor - what means not every factor of x is also a prime factor of y - and this contradicts with the statement
I just need to clarify -to avoid such a confusion on the exam
Expert Post
Math Expert

Re: If r and s are positive integers, is r/s an integer? [#permalink] New post 11 Apr 2012, 12:28
Expert's post
Galiya wrote:
Bunuel
what about the word "every" - according to this i picked up numbers which satisfied this condition.
And one more point-official explanation "takes" the numbers 18 and 8, to explain the answer.
But 18 has the prime factors 2 and 3, but 8 hasn't 3 as a prime factor - what means not every factor of x is also a prime factor of y - and this contradicts with the statement
I just need to clarify -to avoid such a confusion on the exam

Let's refer to the question in the initial post: which statement are you talking about?

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:

Manager
Manager

Re: If r and s are positive integers, is r/s an integer? [#permalink] New post 11 Apr 2012, 12:30
i mean this one
Expert Post
Math Expert

Re: If r and s are positive integers, is r/s an integer? [#permalink] New post 11 Apr 2012, 12:40
Expert's post
Galiya wrote:
i mean this one

There is an example given in my post which satisfies the given condition and doesn't give an integer value of r/s.

(2) Every prime factor of s is also a prime factor of r. The powers of prime factors of s could be higher than powers of prime factors of r.

For example: if s=5^3 and r=5^2 then every prime of 125 (in fact its only prime 5) IS also a prime of 25 but r/s=25/125 is not an integer.

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:

Current Student
Concentration: General Management, Marketing
GMAT 1: Q V
GPA: 3.1
WE: Accounting (Other)

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 27

Re: If r and s are positive integers, is r/s an integer? [#permalink] New post 23 Aug 2012, 20:14
What if S>R? It doesn't say that R>S. It just says they are positive integers.

For first statement:
R>S = 20/10 = 2 --> Integer
S>R = 10/20 = .5 --> Not an integer

For the second statement:
R>S = 50/5 = 10 --> Integer
S>R = 5/50 = .5 --> Not an integer

That is why I picked E. Can you please explain why my reasoning is incorrect? Thanks!
Expert Post
Math Expert

Re: If r and s are positive integers, is r/s an integer? [#permalink] New post 24 Aug 2012, 01:04
Expert's post
KAS1 wrote:
What if S>R? It doesn't say that R>S. It just says they are positive integers.

For first statement:
R>S = 20/10 = 2 --> Integer
S>R = 10/20 = .5 --> Not an integer

For the second statement:
R>S = 50/5 = 10 --> Integer
S>R = 5/50 = .5 --> Not an integer

That is why I picked E. Can you please explain why my reasoning is incorrect? Thanks!

For the first statement s cannot be greater than r. If every factor of s is also factor of r, then r\geq{s}. Your example, (r=10 and s=20), is not possible, because 4 is a factor of s but not a factor of r.

Hope it's clear.

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:

Director
Director
WE: Science (Education)
Followers: 65

Kudos [?]: 475 [0], given: 43

GMAT Tests User
Re: If a and b are positive integers, is ‘a’ a multiple of b? [#permalink] New post 25 Sep 2012, 10:24
ankit0411 wrote:
If a and b are positive integers, is ‘a’ a multiple of b?

(1) Every prime factor of b is also a prime factor of a (2) Every factor of b is also a factor of a

(1) Consider for example a = 2\cdot3=6 and b = 2^2\cdot3=12, so obviously a is not a multiple of b.
If a = 12 and b = 6, then of course a is a multiple of b.
Not sufficient.

(2) b is a factor of itself, so it is also a factor of a, which means that a is a multiple of b.
Sufficient.

Answer B.

PhD in Applied Mathematics
Love GMAT Quant questions and running.

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 29

DS : X and Y are two positive integers [#permalink] New post 24 Oct 2012, 22:25
Hi,

I'm trying to figure out this one.

X and Y are two positive integers. Is x divided by y an integer?

(1) All of Y's factors are also factors of X.

(2) Each prime factor of Y is also a prime factor of X.

Any pointers, please?

A, B, C, D or E?

Thanks.
Concentration: Strategy
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 61

Kudos [?]: 627 [0], given: 116

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: DS : X and Y are two positive integers [#permalink] New post 24 Oct 2012, 22:33
elegan wrote:
Hi,

I'm trying to figure out this one.

X and Y are two positive integers. Is x divided by y an integer?

(1) All of Y's factors are also factors of X.

(2) Each prime factor of Y is also a prime factor of X.

Any pointers, please?

A, B, C, D or E?

Thanks.

1) Y itself is a factor of Y. Hence Y is also a factor of X. Sufficient

2)Suppose X = 2 and Y = 8. Answer is No. If Y = 2 and X =8 answer is yes. Insufficient

Answer is A.

Kudos Please... If my post helped.

Did you find this post helpful?... Please let me know through the Kudos button.

Thanks To The Almighty - My GMAT Debrief

GMAT Reading Comprehension: 7 Most Common Passage Types

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 47

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: If r and s are positive integers, is r/s an integer? [#permalink] New post 12 Jan 2014, 05:35
BANON wrote:

Basically, the question asks us if s is a factor of r.

1) This is significant, because we are told something about every factor of s. Let's say the products of the factors of s = n, then 1) gives us n*r.. is n*r/n an integer? Of course.. So 1) is sufficient

2) This only tells us a fraction of the information that 1) tells us, since 2) restricts the factors to primes.. But we don't know if s has other factors that are NOT shared by r, and thus 2) is insufficient..

So A is correct
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 21

Re: If r and s are positive integers, is r/s an integer? [#permalink] New post 04 May 2014, 10:23
Bunuel wrote:

(1) Every factor of s is also a factor of r. If every factor of s is also factor of r, then in fraction r/s, s will just be reduced and we get an integer. Sufficient.

(2) Every prime factor of s is also a prime factor of r. The powers of prime factors of s could be higher than powers of prime factors of r. eg 25/125=1/5 not an integer. Not sufficient.

Hope it's clear.

Hi Bunuel,

If we look at the two statements above:

I'm having a hard time differentiating the two statements. I realize that one is talking about PF and one is talking about All Factors, but how can we assume that in statement 2, S could have it's factors raised to a higher value. Isn't the verbiage between 1 and 2 identical?
Expert Post
Math Expert

Re: If r and s are positive integers, is r/s an integer? [#permalink] New post 05 May 2014, 01:40
Expert's post
russ9 wrote:
Bunuel wrote:

Hope it's clear.

Hi Bunuel,

If we look at the two statements above:

I'm having a hard time differentiating the two statements. I realize that one is talking about PF and one is talking about All Factors, but how can we assume that in statement 2, S could have it's factors raised to a higher value. Isn't the verbiage between 1 and 2 identical?

No, they are not identical.

(2) says that r and s have the same primes but this does not mean that r and s have the same factors. For, example, 2, 4, 8, 16, ..., 2^n all have the same prime: 2. But they certainly do not share all their factors: the factors of 8 (1, 2, 4, 8) are not the same as the factors of 4 (1, 2, 4).

Does this make sense?

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:

Re: If r and s are positive integers, is r/s an integer?   [#permalink] 05 May 2014, 01:40