Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Oct 2014, 10:42

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

If r and s are positive integers, is r/s an integer?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 34 [1] , given: 2

If r and s are positive integers, is r/s an integer? [#permalink] New post 10 Nov 2009, 14:24
This post received
KUDOS
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

25% (medium)

Question Stats:

68% (01:42) correct 32% (00:40) wrong based on 95 sessions
If A and B are positive integers, is a/b an integer?

(1) Every factor of B is also a factor of A
(2) Every prime factor of B is also a prime factor of A
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
Expert Post
2 KUDOS received
Math Expert
Followers: 3604

Kudos [?]: 28717 [2] , given: 2820

Re: Divisibility Question [#permalink] New post 10 Nov 2009, 14:44
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
chicagocubsrule wrote:
1) Every factor of B is also a factor of A
2) Every prime factor of B is also a prime factor of A

(1) If every factor of B is also factor of A, then in fraction A/B, B will just be reduced and we get an integer. Sufficient.

(2) The powers of primes factors of B could be higher than powers of prime factors of A. eg 25/125=1/5 not an integer. Not sufficient.

Answer: A.

NEW TO MATH FORUM? PLEASE READ THIS: ALL YOU NEED FOR QUANT!!!

PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 11 Rules for Posting!!!

RESOURCES: [GMAT MATH BOOK]; 1. Triangles; 2. Polygons; 3. Coordinate Geometry; 4. Factorials; 5. Circles; 6. Number Theory; 7. Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets; 9. PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders; 11. GMAT Prep Software Analysis NEW!!!; 12. SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) NEW!!!; 12. Tricky questions from previous years. NEW!!!;

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS ; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

What are GMAT Club Tests?
25 extra-hard Quant Tests

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 34 [1] , given: 2

Re: Divisibility Question [#permalink] New post 10 Nov 2009, 21:38
This post received
KUDOS
Bunuel wrote:
chicagocubsrule wrote:
1) Every factor of B is also a factor of A
2) Every prime factor of B is also a prime factor of A

(1) If every factor of B is also factor of A, then in fraction A/B, B will just be reduced and we get an integer. Sufficient.

(2) The powers of primes factors of B could be higher than powers of prime factors of A. eg 25/125=1/5 not an integer. Not sufficient.

Answer: A.

+1
so even though they share the same prime factors doesn't mean the have the same powers.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 0

Re: Divisibility Question [#permalink] New post 11 Nov 2009, 19:07
Bunuel,

looking at (2) I would say that with the current frasing this statement is sufficient. I would agree with your answer if (2) said "...every distinct prime factor..."

When the GMAT refers to prime factors, should I assume that it is referring only to distinct ones (eg 8 has three prime factors, 2, 2, and 2, but only one distinct prime factor)?
Expert Post
Math Expert

Kudos [?]: 28717 [0], given: 2820

Re: Divisibility Question [#permalink] New post 12 Nov 2009, 05:07
Expert's post
Marco83 wrote:
Bunuel,

looking at (2) I would say that with the current frasing this statement is sufficient. I would agree with your answer if (2) said "...every distinct prime factor..."

When the GMAT refers to prime factors, should I assume that it is referring only to distinct ones (eg 8 has three prime factors, 2, 2, and 2, but only one distinct prime factor)?

Welcome to the forum Marco83.

For the question. (2) states: "Every prime factor of B is also a prime factor of A." Which exactly means distinct prime factors, how else it could be? In your example: we can say that every prime factor of 8 is a factor of 30, as 8 has only one prime, which is 2 and 2 IS a factor of 30.

Let's suppose prime factorization of B is: B=x^p*y^q*z^r from the statement we know that A's prime factors must be x, y, and z. But we don't know the powers of x, y, z in A or B. So in the fraction \frac{A}{B} B may or may not be reduced. If the power of either of prime is higher in B we'll get the fraction.

Also note that we are told that B's primes are A's primes too, but not vise versa, though this doesn't affect the conclusion here.

Hope it helps. Please tell if it needs further clarification.

RESOURCES: [GMAT MATH BOOK]; 1. Triangles; 2. Polygons; 3. Coordinate Geometry; 4. Factorials; 5. Circles; 6. Number Theory; 7. Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets; 9. PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders; 11. GMAT Prep Software Analysis NEW!!!; 12. SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) NEW!!!; 12. Tricky questions from previous years. NEW!!!;

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS ; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 0

Re: Divisibility Question [#permalink] New post 12 Nov 2009, 05:43
If B=x^p*y^q*z^r, the prime factors of B are
x
x
x
(p times)
y
y
y
(q times)
z
z
z
(r times)

While the distinct prime factors are simply x, y, and z.

If the second clue was frased as "...the DISTINCT prime factors...", I would agree with you that by having different exponents on each distinct prime factor A/B could result in a fraction, but since the clue is frased as "...the prime factors..." to me this means that A=x^p1*x^q1*z^r1*other primes, where p1>=p, q1>=q, and r1>=r. This leads to A/B=x^(p1-p)*y^(q1-q)*z^(r1-r)*other primes, which is indeed an integer.

What do you think?
Expert Post
Math Expert

Re: Divisibility Question [#permalink] New post 12 Nov 2009, 05:58
Expert's post
Marco83 wrote:
If B=x^p*y^q*z^r, the prime factors of B are
x
x
x
(p times)
y
y
y
(q times)
z
z
z
(r times)

While the distinct prime factors are simply x, y, and z.

If the second clue was frased as "...the DISTINCT prime factors...", I would agree with you that by having different exponents on each distinct prime factor A/B could result in a fraction, but since the clue is frased as "...the prime factors..." to me this means that A=x^p1*x^q1*z^r1*other primes, where p1>=p, q1>=q, and r1>=r. This leads to A/B=x^(p1-p)*y^(q1-q)*z^(r1-r)*other primes, which is indeed an integer.

What do you think?

When we have B=x^p*y^q*z^r we can say that prime factors of B are x, y, and z, which is the same as distinct prime factors of B. When you say that primes are x, p times it still means that the prime is only x, as x in any power higher than 1 is not the prime any more.

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:

Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 3

Re: Divisibility Question [#permalink] New post 26 Aug 2010, 11:59
Hi Bunuel,

How the two statements, A and B are different? What I understood from the options are - only the values of the factors for B are same as A and not the quantity.

Could you please explain. I chose E. The way you interpreted for option B, I interpreted for option A as well. Hence found the data to be insufficient.

Thanks.
Expert Post
Math Expert

Re: Divisibility Question [#permalink] New post 26 Aug 2010, 12:23
Expert's post
amp0201 wrote:
Hi Bunuel,

How the two statements, A and B are different? What I understood from the options are - only the values of the factors for B are same as A and not the quantity.

Could you please explain. I chose E. The way you interpreted for option B, I interpreted for option A as well. Hence found the data to be insufficient.

Thanks.

Statement (1) says: every factor of B is also a factor of A, as B is a factor of B itself, then it means that B is a factor of A. So in fraction A/B, B will just be reduced and we get an integer.

Hope it's clear.

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 77 [0], given: 16

Re: Divisibility Question [#permalink] New post 29 Aug 2010, 05:54
thank you....very clear
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 96 [0], given: 101

if r & s are positive integers [#permalink] New post 26 Dec 2010, 06:37
if r & s are positive integers is r/s an integer
a) every factor of s is also a factor of r
b) every prime factor of s is also a prime factor of r
Intern
Intern
Schools: Wharton, Columbia, Booth, NYU

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: Divisibility Question [#permalink] New post 26 Dec 2010, 14:14
Question here is A / B = Int, given A, B = positive integers
=> For A / B to be an integer, A > B

Now lets look at choices
a. Every factor of B is also a factor of A
=> A >= B and A is divisble by B (Sufficient)

b. Every prime factor of B is also prime factor of A
=> A could be greater or less than B (e.g. A = 3, B = 9 etc)
Not Suff.

OA: A

Practice, More Practice, Still More Practice... THE only way to succeed!!!
+1Kudos, if this helps with your preparation. Good luck!

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 29

Re: Divisibility Question [#permalink] New post 11 Jan 2011, 11:32
I chose for D.
Considering that both are sufficient but as you have mentioned the powers of prime factor in the denominator can be greater than numerator which results a fraction...
Got it...
Director
Director
Concentration: International Business, General Management
GPA: 3.86
WE: Accounting (Commercial Banking)

Kudos [?]: 55 [0], given: 16

Number properties [#permalink] New post 08 Jan 2012, 01:23
Can anyone please help me in solving this problem.......

Why the answer is not D
Attachments

Numberproperties.jpg
Numberproperties.jpg [ 68.25 KiB | Viewed 1111 times ]

+1 Kudos If found helpful..

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [1] , given: 0

Re: Number properties [#permalink] New post 08 Jan 2012, 01:58
This post received
KUDOS
1) Each factor of S is also a factor of R ==> R is a multiple of S Sufficient

2) Every prime factor of S is also a prime factor of R ==> Insuff.
R & S might have prime factors : 2,3 ...
but when R/S Example: 4 * 9/81*4 is not an integer

Hence A
Director
Director
Concentration: International Business, General Management
GPA: 3.86
WE: Accounting (Commercial Banking)

Kudos [?]: 55 [0], given: 16

Re: Number properties [#permalink] New post 08 Jan 2012, 02:05
gmatv11 wrote:
1) Each factor of S is also a factor of R ==> R is a multiple of S Sufficient

2) Every prime factor of S is also a prime factor of R ==> Insuff.
R & S might have prime factors : 2,3 ...
but when R/S Example: 4 * 9/81*4 is not an integer

Hence A

Thanks.....+1 Kudos for you

+1 Kudos If found helpful..

Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 36 [0], given: 6

Re: Number properties [#permalink] New post 08 Jan 2012, 18:02
1. Obvious rule for division. Suff.
2. If r = 2x3x7 and s=2x3x7, good. If r = 2x3x7 and s=2x3x7x7, not good. Insuff.

A.

I am the master of my fate. I am the captain of my soul.
Please consider giving +1 Kudos if deserved!

DS - If negative answer only, still sufficient. No need to find exact solution.
PS - Always look at the answers first
CR - Read the question stem first, hunt for conclusion
SC - Meaning first, Grammar second
RC - Mentally connect paragraphs as you proceed. Short = 2min, Long = 3-4 min

CEO
CEO
Followers: 206

Kudos [?]: 42 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: If r and s are positive integers, is r/s an integer? [#permalink] New post 03 Oct 2014, 22:01
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

GMAT Books | GMAT Club Tests | Best Prices on GMAT Courses | GMAT Mobile App | Math Resources | Verbal Resources

Re: If r and s are positive integers, is r/s an integer?   [#permalink] 03 Oct 2014, 22:01