Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Oct 2014, 22:39

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

If S and T are non-zero numbers and

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Current Student
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
Schools: Olin - Wash U - Class of 2015
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 35

Kudos [?]: 369 [0], given: 23

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: If S and T are non-zero numbers and [#permalink] New post 11 Feb 2013, 07:59
Sachin9 wrote:
Vips0000 wrote:
Sachin9 wrote:
I get it Vippss. But in all other cases, the generalization will hold good right?

Rules are good, generalizations are not :)
Enjoy and practice kudos :-p

why on earth do u need kudos :shock: u already done with ur gmat. .

Retake bro.. Coming soon :-)

Lets Kudos!!! ;-)
Black Friday Debrief

Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Director
Director
GMAT 1: 640 Q43 V34
GMAT 2: 630 Q47 V29
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 562

Re: If S and T are non-zero numbers and [#permalink] New post 11 Feb 2013, 08:39
you hav a 720 and you gonna re-take
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Good luck mate :)

hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things. And no good thing ever dies.

Who says you need a 700 ?Check this out : http://gmatclub.com/forum/who-says-you-need-a-149706.html#p1201595

My GMAT Journey : end-of-my-gmat-journey-149328.html#p1197992

Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 34 [0], given: 13

Re: If S and T are non-zero numbers and [#permalink] New post 18 Mar 2013, 10:06
Bunuel wrote:
If S and T are non-zero numbers and \frac{1}{S} + \frac{1}{T} = S + T, which of the following must be true?

A. ST = 1
B. S + T = 1
C. \frac{1}{S} = T
D. \frac{S}{T} = 1
E. None of the above

OE:

\frac{1}{S} + \frac{1}{T} = S + T --> \frac{T+S}{ST}=S+T --> cross-multiply: S+T=(S+T)*ST --> (S+T)(ST-1)=0 --> either S+T=0 or ST=1. So, if S+T=0 is true then none of the options must be true.

Answer: E.

P.S. Please read carefully and follow: rules-for-posting-please-read-this-before-posting-133935.html Please pay attention to the rule #3. Thank you.

Hello Bunuel,

How did u get S+T=(S+T)*ST --> (S+T)(ST-1)=0 ??

What did i miss in he below equation?? how come you got (S+T)(ST-1)=0 ?? Ca you please explain
1/S+1/T = S+T
(S+T) = (S+T) (ST)
divide both side by (S+T) we get
1=1(ST)
therefore ST=1

Thank you.
Expert Post
Math Expert
Followers: 3613

Kudos [?]: 28933 [0], given: 2871

Re: If S and T are non-zero numbers and [#permalink] New post 18 Mar 2013, 10:12
Expert's post
kuttingchai wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
If S and T are non-zero numbers and \frac{1}{S} + \frac{1}{T} = S + T, which of the following must be true?

A. ST = 1
B. S + T = 1
C. \frac{1}{S} = T
D. \frac{S}{T} = 1
E. None of the above

OE:

\frac{1}{S} + \frac{1}{T} = S + T --> \frac{T+S}{ST}=S+T --> cross-multiply: S+T=(S+T)*ST --> (S+T)(ST-1)=0 --> either S+T=0 or ST=1. So, if S+T=0 is true then none of the options must be true.

P.S. Please read carefully and follow: rules-for-posting-please-read-this-before-posting-133935.html Please pay attention to the rule #3. Thank you.

Hello Bunuel,

What did i miss in he below equation?? how come you got (S+T)(ST-1)=0 ?? Ca you please explain
1/S+1/T = S+T
(S+T) = (S+T) (ST)
1=1(ST)
therefore ST=1

Thank you.

Check here: if-s-and-t-are-non-zero-numbers-and-141887.html#p1140729

Hope it helps.

NEW TO MATH FORUM? PLEASE READ THIS: ALL YOU NEED FOR QUANT!!!

PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 11 Rules for Posting!!!

RESOURCES: [GMAT MATH BOOK]; 1. Triangles; 2. Polygons; 3. Coordinate Geometry; 4. Factorials; 5. Circles; 6. Number Theory; 7. Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets; 9. PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders; 11. GMAT Prep Software Analysis NEW!!!; 12. SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) NEW!!!; 12. Tricky questions from previous years. NEW!!!;

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS ; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

What are GMAT Club Tests?
25 extra-hard Quant Tests

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 34 [0], given: 13

Re: If S and T are non-zero numbers and [#permalink] New post 18 Mar 2013, 10:14
kuttingchai wrote:
Bunuel wrote:

A. ST = 1
B. S + T = 1
C. \frac{1}{S} = T
D. \frac{S}{T} = 1
E. None of the above

OE:

Hello Bunuel,

1/S+1/T = S+T
(S+T) = (S+T) (ST)
1=1(ST)
therefore ST=1

Thank you.

I think I got the answer

from your previous post I got "
Never reduce equation by variable (or expression with variable), if you are not certain that variable (or expression with variable) doesn't equal to zero. We can not divide by zero.

So, if you divide (reduce) s+t = (s+t)st by (s+t), you assume, with no ground for it, that (s+t) does not equal to zero thus exclude a possible solution (notice that both st=1 AND (s+t)=0 satisfy the equation).
"

therefore
1/S+1/T = S+T
(S+T) = (S+T) (ST)
0= (S+T) (ST) - (S+T)
0 = (S+T) (ST-1)

(S+T)=0 or ST = 1

Thank you
CEO
CEO
Followers: 207

Kudos [?]: 43 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: If S and T are non-zero numbers and [#permalink] New post 12 Jul 2014, 16:12
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

GMAT Books | GMAT Club Tests | Best Prices on GMAT Courses | GMAT Mobile App | Math Resources | Verbal Resources

Re: If S and T are non-zero numbers and   [#permalink] 12 Jul 2014, 16:12