Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Jun 2016, 07:31
GMAT Club Tests

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

If s is the sum of consecutive even integers w, x, y, and z

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Schools: Mccombs business school, Mays business school, Rotman Business School,
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 86 [1] , given: 18

If s is the sum of consecutive even integers w, x, y, and z [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Jun 2012, 19:10
This post received
KUDOS
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

35% (medium)

Question Stats:

65% (02:17) correct 35% (01:10) wrong based on 133 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

If s is the sum of consecutive even integers w, x, y, and z, where w < x < y < z, all of the following must be true EXCEPT

A. z - w = 3(y - x)
B. s is divisible by 8
C. The average of w, x, y, and z is odd
D. s is divisible by 4
E. w + x + 8 = y + z
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

some people are successful, because they have been fortunate enough and some people earn success, because they have been determined.....

please press kudos if you like my post.... i am begging for kudos...lol

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
Followers: 1827

Kudos [?]: 11097 [1] , given: 218

Re: ps [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Jun 2012, 01:15
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
alchemist009 wrote:
If s is the sum of consecutive even integers w, x, y, and z,
where w < x < y < z, all of the following must be true
EXCEPT
(A) z - w = 3(y - x)
(B) s is divisible by 8
(C) The average of w, x, y, and z is odd
(D) s is divisible by 4
(E) w + x + 8 = y + z

Just assume that the numbers are 2a, 2a+2, 2a+4 and 2a+6.

s = 2a + 2a+2 + 2a+4 + 2a+6 = 8a + 12

Focus on the easiest options first. You see that s is not divisible by 8. Answer (B)

Or you can take values: w = 0, x = 2, y = 4, z = 6. Their sum is 12 = s.

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Get started with Veritas Prep GMAT On Demand for $199

Veritas Prep Reviews

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Followers: 480

Kudos [?]: 124 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: If s is the sum of consecutive even integers w, x, y, and z [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Jul 2015, 08:36
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

GMAT Books | GMAT Club Tests | Best Prices on GMAT Courses | GMAT Mobile App | Math Resources | Verbal Resources

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 36

Show Tags

New post 21 Jul 2015, 14:08
I am new to the forum, I still do not understand the concept about consecutive integers and inclusive integers and does even numbers factor in? Can someone please explain

thanks Hyder
Expert Post
Math Forum Moderator
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
Schools: Kellogg '18 (M)
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.7
WE: Engineering (Aerospace and Defense)
Followers: 100

Kudos [?]: 1124 [0], given: 780

Show Tags

New post 21 Jul 2015, 14:17
Expert's post
hyder27 wrote:
I am new to the forum, I still do not understand the concept about consecutive integers and inclusive integers and does even numbers factor in? Can someone please explain

thanks Hyder

"Consecutive" means one after the other.

1,2,3,4,5,6... are consecutive integers while 1,4,5,6,10,15,20... are non consecutive integers.

I have answered your other post for "inclusive" integers at the location set-a-consists-of-the-integers-from-4-to-12-inclusive-while-set-b-202080.html#p1551976

Even numbers will always be a part of set of consecutive integers (set having more than 1 integers). Any odd integer is followed by an even integer.

Thursday with Ron updated list as of July 1st, 2015: http://gmatclub.com/forum/consolidated-thursday-with-ron-list-for-all-the-sections-201006.html#p1544515
Rules for Posting in Quant Forums: http://gmatclub.com/forum/rules-for-posting-please-read-this-before-posting-133935.html
Writing Mathematical Formulae in your posts: http://gmatclub.com/forum/rules-for-posting-please-read-this-before-posting-133935.html#p1096628
GMATCLUB Math Book: http://gmatclub.com/forum/gmat-math-book-in-downloadable-pdf-format-130609.html
Everything Related to Inequalities: http://gmatclub.com/forum/inequalities-made-easy-206653.html#p1582891
Inequalities tips: http://gmatclub.com/forum/inequalities-tips-and-hints-175001.html
Debrief, 650 to 750: http://gmatclub.com/forum/650-to-750-a-10-month-journey-to-the-score-203190.html

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 36

Show Tags

New post 21 Jul 2015, 14:26
@Enger2012

thanks for a fast response, i understood the concept about consecutive and non and even integers, will look at the post for inclusive integers thanks

Hyder
Re: If s is the sum of consecutive even integers w, x, y, and z   [#permalink] 21 Jul 2015, 14:26