Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Aug 2014, 13:38

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

If Sarah were a concert pianist for a major orchestra, she

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

If Sarah were a concert pianist for a major orchestra, she [#permalink] New post 16 Feb 2009, 05:21
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 0 sessions
If Sarah were a concert pianist for a major orchestra, she would be famous. She is not a concert pianist since she is not famous.
The conclusion above is unsound because the author does not consider that
(A) Sarah could be a famous actress.
(B) Sarah could be a harpist for a major orchestra.
(C) Sarah could be a pianist with a rock group.
(D) Sarah could be a concert pianist with a minor orchestra.
(E) Sarah could be famous for another reason.

Please explain your answer
Manager
Manager
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 141 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR - concert pianist [#permalink] New post 16 Feb 2009, 06:49
Hi janet1511,

Here's my explanation:
-------------------------
Premise 1: A person who is a concert pianist with a major orchestra is famous.
Premise 2: She is not famous.

Conclusion: She is not a concert pianist.

Let us solve this using Venn diagram. Consider a circle called 'Famous'. Another circle called 'major orchestra' (MAJ_ORCH). Let there be a third circle called 'minor orchestra' (MIN_ORCH).

Now according to premise 1, we can visualize the circle MAJ_ORCH completely inside the circle called 'Famous'. This is so because any person who is a concert pianist with a major orchestra IS famous. There is NO concert pianist with a major orchestra who is not famous. Everyone is!

Premise 1 does not say that 'A concert pianist who is NOT associated with a major orchestra cannot be famous'. Even they can be famous. We'll use this to show that option D was something that the author did not consider to arrive at the conclusion.

Now if we consider option D, we can safely think of a circle MIN_ORCH, which intersects (not overlaps) another circle Famous. This 'intersection' denotes that concert pianists who are working with 'minor orchestra' (MIN_ORCH) comprises 'Famous' & 'Not Famous' people.

Let Sarah be associated with 'minor orchestra' group. Now since premise 2 states that Sarah is not famous, she'll be a part of the circle MIN_ORCH, which is not common with the 'Famous' circle i.e., Sarah is a part of 'minor orchestra' and is NOT famous.

(A) Sarah could be a famous actress. ---> Not relevant. We should not change Sarah's occupation. Let her be pianist for the time being.

(B) Sarah could be a harpist for a major orchestra. ---> Not relevant. Why harpist? She is fine as a pianist.

(C) Sarah could be a pianist with a rock group. ---> So what? Even if she's with a rock group, how does it, in any way, make the conclusion unsound?

(D) Sarah could be a concert pianist with a minor orchestra. ---> Explained above

(E) Sarah could be famous for another reason. ---> Sarah is 'not' famous for any other reason as Premise 2 clearly rules this out. So, we can discard this out.

My choice is option D.

Hope that helps.

Regards,
Technext

+++ Believe me, it doesn't take much of an effort to underline SC questions. Just try it out. +++
+++ Please tell me why other options are wrong. +++

~~~ The only way to get smarter is to play a smarter opponent. ~~~

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 0

Re: CR - concert pianist [#permalink] New post 16 Feb 2009, 07:46
I totally agree with the answer choice and reasoning. Still, I would like to slightly shift the explanation in a way that seems easier to me to grasp.
Let Sarah be A and B - the set of all possible concert pianist ocupations (e.g. a concert pianist for a minor orchestra, a concert pianist for a major orchestra, a concert pianist for some other type of orchestra, etc.). Then, let b1 denote the quality of being a concert pianist for a major orchestra, b2 - a concert pianist for a minor orchestra, ... etc.
The premise can be depicted as If A is b1, then ---> famous (If Sarah were a concert pianist for a major orchestra, she would be famous).
Then, the conclusion made by the author could be desplayed as A is not B because A is not famous (She is not a concert pianist since she is not famous). By substituting the condition for the conclusion from If A is b1, then ---> famous for a portion of the conclusion in A is not B because A is not famous, that is famous, we have A is not B because A is not b1 or this could be rephrased as Sarah is not a concert pianist since she is not a concert pianist for a major orchestra, which is unsound. It is incorrect because for Sarah to belong into B she could also be b2 or any other element od B set. Therefore, the author's resoning is missing out on the point that she, for example, could be a concert pianist with a minor orchestra which is provided by D choice.
VP
VP
Followers: 33

Kudos [?]: 214 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR - concert pianist [#permalink] New post 16 Feb 2009, 09:48
cp for a Major O -> Famous (given)

Contrapostive is

~ Famous -> ~ cp for a Major O (derived from given)

Possible that she is still a CP but not for Major O

Hence D
Re: CR - concert pianist   [#permalink] 16 Feb 2009, 09:48