Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 30 Oct 2014, 07:11

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

If set N contains only consecutive positive integers, what

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
VP
VP
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 53 [0], given: 0

If set N contains only consecutive positive integers, what [#permalink] New post 06 Nov 2005, 09:32
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

25% (medium)

Question Stats:

69% (02:09) correct 31% (01:06) wrong based on 95 sessions
If set N contains only consecutive positive integers, what is the sum of the numbers in set N ?

(1) Nineteen times the sum of the first number in the set and the last number in the set is 1729
(2) There are 38 numbers in the set.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

If your mind can conceive it and your heart can believe it, have faith that you can achieve it.

Last edited by Bunuel on 12 Oct 2013, 16:28, edited 1 time in total.
Renamed the topic, edited the question and added the OA.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 06 Nov 2005, 11:47
I will go with C

Stmt 1) Let f be the first number and l be the last number
19 ( f + l ) = 1729
-> f + l = 91 (A)

Hence INSUFF

Stmt 2) is INSUFF.

Combining, we can calculate 'f' from (A) and Stmt 2 - Total 38 numbers. Hence suff.

Pls let me know if I have missed anything.
2 KUDOS received
Booth Thread Master
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V39
WE: Corporate Finance (Investment Banking)
Followers: 18

Kudos [?]: 206 [2] , given: 318

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: ds - numbers N [#permalink] New post 12 Oct 2013, 16:24
This post received
KUDOS
christoph wrote:
If set N contains only consecutive positive integers, what is the sum of the numbers in set N?
(1) Nineteen times the sum of the first number in the set and the last number in the set is 1729

I think i'll go with (C) on this one.
Please allow me to explain.

So they are asking for the sum of the set of consecutive integers. We therefore need 2 things:

1) # of terms = Last - First + 1
2) Average of terms = (First + Last) / 2

Statement 1: We are given that 19 (F+L) = 1729
Then we can find F+L = 91. Hence, we can find the average.

Now can we find Last - First? I'm afraid this is not possible.

Statement 2: We are given the number of terms but we know nothing about the average of the terms. Hence Insuff

(1) and (2): Now we have everything to find the sum of the set. # of terms from Statement 2
Average from Statement 1. Voila

Hence answer is (C)
Kudos if it helps! :)
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 47 [0], given: 209

Re: If set N contains only consecutive positive integers, what [#permalink] New post 17 Dec 2013, 04:55
christoph wrote:
If set N contains only consecutive positive integers, what is the sum of the numbers in set N ?

I was able to get the answer using A only , please tell me what I have done wrong

sum of n consecutive terms =( n/2)( F+L), where n is the number of terms , f = first term and L is the last term
now can 19 be expressed as n/2 ? of course we can , so we can write 38/2(f+L) = 1729 --> 19(F+L)=1729
this is the exact expression for the sum of n consecutive integers , hence the number of terms is 38 and the sum is 1729

Please let me know if I have erred somewhere.

statement 1 : 19(F+L)=1729 --> (38/2) ( F+L) - -> (n/2)( F+L) = 1729

- Stne

Expert Post
Math Expert
Followers: 3634

Kudos [?]: 29341 [0], given: 2916

Re: If set N contains only consecutive positive integers, what [#permalink] New post 17 Dec 2013, 06:35
Expert's post
stne wrote:
christoph wrote:

I was able to get the answer using A only , please tell me what I have done wrong

sum of n consecutive terms =( n/2)( F+L), where n is the number of terms , f = first term and L is the last term
now can 19 be expressed as n/2 ? of course we can , so we can write 38/2(f+L) = 1729 --> 19(F+L)=1729
this is the exact expression for the sum of n consecutive integers , hence the number of terms is 38 and the sum is 1729

We need to find the sum of N consecutive integers. The sum = \frac{(first + last)}{2}*N.

From (1) we have that 19*(first + last) = 1729 --> (first + last) = 91. So, we need to find the value of \frac{(first + last)}{2}*N = 91*\frac{N}{2}. How can you find the value of this expression? You cannot! for example, N can be 2 (45, 46) and in this case the sum is 91, or N can be 90 (1, 2, ..., 90) and in this case the sum is 4095.

Hope it helps.

NEW TO MATH FORUM? PLEASE READ THIS: ALL YOU NEED FOR QUANT!!!

PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 11 Rules for Posting!!!

RESOURCES: [GMAT MATH BOOK]; 1. Triangles; 2. Polygons; 3. Coordinate Geometry; 4. Factorials; 5. Circles; 6. Number Theory; 7. Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets; 9. PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders; 11. GMAT Prep Software Analysis NEW!!!; 12. SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) NEW!!!; 12. Tricky questions from previous years. NEW!!!;

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS ; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

What are GMAT Club Tests?
25 extra-hard Quant Tests

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager

Re: If set N contains only consecutive positive integers, what [#permalink] New post 18 Dec 2013, 03:58
Bunuel wrote:
stne wrote:
christoph wrote:

We need to find the sum of N consecutive integers. The sum = \frac{(first + last)}{2}*N.

From (1) we have that 19*(first + last) = 1729 --> (first + last) = 91. So, we need to find the value of \frac{(first + last)}{2}*N = 91*\frac{N}{2}. How can you find the value of this expression? You cannot! for example, N can be 2 (45, 46) and in this case the sum is 91, or N can be 90 (1, 2, ..., 90) and in this case the sum is 4095.

Hope it helps.

Thank you for your reply.

I could be wrong again, most probably am but I am just trying to see the light and find out what is wrong with my logic

suppose I was told that (n/2)(F+L) = 1729 where n is the number of terms in a consecutive series and f is the first term and l is the last term , Then I could immediately say that the sum of these n consecutive terms is 1729, could I not?

now aren't we give the exact same thing indirectly? We are told 19(F+L)= 1729 which is the same as saying
(38/2)(F+L)= 1729 so looking at this and comparing with (n/2)(F+L)= 1729

why cannot I say n=38?

- Stne

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Math Expert

Kudos [?]: 29341 [1] , given: 2916

Re: If set N contains only consecutive positive integers, what [#permalink] New post 18 Dec 2013, 06:05
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
stne wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
stne wrote:

Hope it helps.

Thank you for your reply.

I could be wrong again, most probably am but I am just trying to see the light and find out what is wrong with my logic

suppose I was told that (n/2)(F+L) = 1729 where n is the number of terms in a consecutive series and f is the first term and l is the last term , Then I could immediately say that the sum of these n consecutive terms is 1729, could I not?

now aren't we give the exact same thing indirectly? We are told 19(F+L)= 1729 which is the same as saying
(38/2)(F+L)= 1729 so looking at this and comparing with (n/2)(F+L)= 1729

why cannot I say n=38?

Suppose I tell you that the sum of the first and the last terms of n positive consecutive integers is 5. Can you find the sum of n consecutive integers?

The answer is NO. The set can be {2, 3} or {1, 2, 3, 4}. In the first case the sum is 5 and in the second case the sum is 10.

RESOURCES: [GMAT MATH BOOK]; 1. Triangles; 2. Polygons; 3. Coordinate Geometry; 4. Factorials; 5. Circles; 6. Number Theory; 7. Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets; 9. PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders; 11. GMAT Prep Software Analysis NEW!!!; 12. SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) NEW!!!; 12. Tricky questions from previous years. NEW!!!;

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS ; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

Manager
Manager

Re: If set N contains only consecutive positive integers, what [#permalink] New post 18 Dec 2013, 07:02
I agree , sum of first and last term is not enough to give the number of consecutive terms in a sequence
but we are given more than that, we are given 19 * ( F +T) this immediately forced me to tell that there are 38 consecutive terms in the sequence .

because 19(F+T) can we written as 38/2(F+T) which can be compared to n/2(F+T) I know 19 can we written in other forms as well but our aim is to get it in the form n/2 where n is a integer.

If I was given 20 *(F+T) and we were dealing with consecutive terms then could I not tell there are 40 terms in the sequence, by changing eqn. to 40/2(F+L)?

So F+T = 1729/19 if we look at this form of the equation , then certainly this seems insufficient
but after algebraic manipulation we get the equation in the form 19(F+T) = 1729 this form seems sufficient

I have learnt that in algebraic manipulation the same equation in certain form can give the answer well as in other forms it may not give the answer.

F+L = 1729/19 = insufficient but 19( F+T) = 1729 or (38/2) (F+L) = 1729 or (n/2)(F+L) is sufficient.

Is there a possibility that this could be a case here? Is there an issue of algebraic manipulation

Thank you for trying to make me understand.

- Stne

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Math Expert

Kudos [?]: 29341 [1] , given: 2916

Re: If set N contains only consecutive positive integers, what [#permalink] New post 18 Dec 2013, 07:07
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
stne wrote:
I agree , sum of first and last term is not enough to give the number of consecutive terms in a sequence
but we are given more than that, we are given 19 * ( F +T) this immediately forced me to tell that there are 38 consecutive terms in the sequence .

because 19(F+T) can we written as 38/2(F+T) which can be compared to n/2(F+T) I know 19 can we written in other forms as well but our aim is to get it in the form n/2 where n is a integer.

If I was given 20 *(F+T) and we were dealing with consecutive terms then could I not tell there are 40 terms in the sequence, by changing eqn. to 40/2(F+L)?

So F+T = 1729/19 if we look at this form of the equation , then certainly this seems insufficient
but after algebraic manipulation we get the equation in the form 19(F+T) = 1729 this form seems sufficient

I have learnt that in algebraic manipulation the same equation in certain form can give the answer well as in other forms it may not give the answer.

F+L = 1729/19 = insufficient but 19( F+T) = 1729 or (38/2) (F+L) = 1729 or (n/2)(F+L) is sufficient.

Is there a possibility that this could be a case here? Is there an issue of algebraic manipulation

Thank you for trying to make me understand.

Again from (38/2) (F+L) = 1729 you cannot tell that n=38.

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [1] , given: 0

Re: If set N contains only consecutive positive integers, what [#permalink] New post 18 Dec 2013, 10:27
This post received
KUDOS
Stne,

for the set {2,3} and {1,2,3,4} , if i were given 2* (F+T) = 10, as per you logic i can conclude there are 4 elements in the set. But that is not true as {2,3} can also be a set that satisfies 2* (F+T) = 10. The sum of {2,3} and {1,2,3,4} are different.
Manager
Manager

Re: If set N contains only consecutive positive integers, what [#permalink] New post 19 Dec 2013, 10:04
anjancgc wrote:
Stne,

for the set {2,3} and {1,2,3,4} , if i were given 2* (F+T) = 10, as per you logic i can conclude there are 4 elements in the set. But that is not true as {2,3} can also be a set that satisfies 2* (F+T) = 10. The sum of {2,3} and {1,2,3,4} are different.

Makes sense, you have managed to convince me.That's a wonderful first post by the way. +1 to you and also to Bunuel for his consistent assistance.

- Stne

Re: If set N contains only consecutive positive integers, what   [#permalink] 19 Dec 2013, 10:04