Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Aug 2014, 12:47

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

If set Z has a median of 19 , what is the range of set Z?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

If set Z has a median of 19 , what is the range of set Z? [#permalink] New post 15 Sep 2009, 07:24
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

35% (medium)

Question Stats:

79% (02:51) correct 21% (03:31) wrong based on 29 sessions
If Set Z has a median of 19, what is the range of Set Z?

(1) Z = {18, 28, 11, x, 15, y}
(2) The average (arithmetic mean) of Set Z is 20.

[Reveal] Spoiler:
Hi everyone,
I saw this question in the practice problems of Kaplan GMAT book, but I am not sure if the answer they gave is right....so any help in this regard shall be highly appreciated. The question is as follows:

If set Z has a median of 19, what is the range of set Z?

(1) Z = { 18, 28, 11, x, 15, y}
(2) The average (arithmetic mean) of the members of set Z is 20.

The book gives the answer as C (BOTH statements TOGETHER are sufficient), but I think the answer is E(BOTH are not sufficient)

The reasoning in the book is as follows:
Statements (1) and (2) together: From statement (1), we know the set has 6 elements and that either x or y must be 20. From (2), we know the average is 20. For a set of 6 elements with an average of 20, the sum of the numbers must be 6x20 = 120.

So, it must be the case that 11 + 15 + 18 + 28 + x + y = 120, or x + y = 48. Since we know that either x or y must be equal to 20, let's say that x = 20. So, we have 20 + y = 48 or y=28. Thus the set is {11, 15, 18, 20, 28, 28}. The range must be 28-17 = 11, so the statements together are sufficient. (C) is correct.

Now, my question is.....the answer takes the set to be {11, 15, 18, 20, 28, 28} and comes to the conclusion C. As per the definition of a set, there should not be any repetitive elements. So the set cannot be {11, 15, 18, 20, 28, 28} with the element 28 being repeated. So the set can be {11, 15, 18, 20, 28}, in which case we cannot determine the value of y. So I am not sure if this question is right.

Please let me know if my thought process is wrong....and what should be the right answer?

Thank you for your time. I shall look forward to hearing from all of you.

regards,
Rahul
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Director
Director
Followers: 44

Kudos [?]: 158 [0], given: 17

GMAT Tests User
Re: If set Z has a median of 19 , what is the range of set Z? [#permalink] New post 15 Sep 2009, 07:58
good Q..thanks for posting the OE

i have one doubt
you saying
As per the definition of a set, there should not be any repetitive elements.

is it true?

rahularke wrote:
Hi everyone,
I saw this question in the practice problems of Kaplan GMAT book, but I am not sure if the answer they gave is right....so any help in this regard shall be highly appreciated. The question is as follows:

The book gives the answer as C (BOTH statements TOGETHER are sufficient), but I think the answer is E(BOTH are not sufficient)

Statements (1) and (2) together: From statement (1), we know the set has 6 elements and that either x or y must be 20. From (2), we know the average is 20. For a set of 6 elements with an average of 20, the sum of the numbers must be 6x20 = 120.

So, it must be the case that 11 + 15 + 18 + 28 + x + y = 120, or x + y = 48. Since we know that either x or y must be equal to 20, let's say that x = 20. So, we have 20 + y = 48 or y=28. Thus the set is {11, 15, 18, 20, 28, 28}. The range must be 28-17 = 11, so the statements together are sufficient. (C) is correct.

Now, my question is.....the answer takes the set to be {11, 15, 18, 20, 28, 28} and comes to the conclusion C. As per the definition of a set, there should not be any repetitive elements. So the set cannot be {11, 15, 18, 20, 28, 28} with the element 28 being repeated. So the set can be {11, 15, 18, 20, 28}, in which case we cannot determine the value of y. So I am not sure if this question is right.

Please let me know if my thought process is wrong....and what should be the right answer?

regards,
Rahul

math-polygons-87336.html
competition-for-the-best-gmat-error-log-template-86232.html

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 67 [0], given: 5

GMAT Tests User
Re: If set Z has a median of 19 , what is the range of set Z? [#permalink] New post 15 Sep 2009, 08:02
rahularke wrote:
Hi everyone,

regards,
Rahul

A set can have repeating values...look up the definition of mode, you will see..
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: If set Z has a median of 19 , what is the range of set Z? [#permalink] New post 15 Sep 2009, 08:44
Good point.

A data set (or dataset) is a collection of data, usually presented in tabular form.
In statistics, the mode is the value that occurs the most frequently in a data set or a probability distribution.

Set theory is the branch of mathematics that studies sets, which are collections of objects. There is no repetition of elements in these sets. We have operations like Union, Intersection, Subsets here.

Since the question is related to mean and median, do we assume that the set mentioned here is a dataset? Is this fine?
GMAT Instructor
Followers: 252

Kudos [?]: 651 [0], given: 3

GMAT Tests User
Re: If set Z has a median of 19 , what is the range of set Z? [#permalink] New post 15 Sep 2009, 09:06
The GMAT will never try to trick you about technicalities of the definition of a set. It is exceptionally rare for a GMAT question to even mention a 'set' at all; most stats questions are about 'lists', or provide real world data, so that it's clear that repetition of elements is permitted. See Questions 133, 134 and 136 from the DS section of OG12 for typical examples of GMAT-style stats questions. Among all of the 452 questions in the Official Guide, only one (Q67 in the PS section) simply mentions a 'set', and in that question, the sets are given to you, so it doesn't matter if you know whether repetition is permitted in a set. Note that Q199 mentions 'data sets' (though again, the sets are provided, and clearly repetition is allowed), and Q9 and Q31 in the Diagnostic Test at the beginning of the book mention a 'set of performance scores' and a 'set of measurements', respectively, each phrase just another way of saying 'data set'. Again, repetition of elements is clearly allowed in Q31 (it's the only way Statement 2 can be true), and isn't relevant to consider in Q9.

In general, on the GMAT, you're extremely unlikely to see a question even mention a 'set' without some sort of qualification, and in general you should assume that repetition of elements *is* allowed in sets on the GMAT, since in pretty much every GMAT stats question, the question will describe a list or real world situation in which repetition of elements is permitted. The question quoted above from the Kaplan book is not worded in the way a real GMAT question would be; a real GMAT question would call the set 'a set of test scores' or something similar, to make clear that they don't intend the definition of 'set' used in mathematical set theory.

Nov 2011: After years of development, I am now making my advanced Quant books and high-level problem sets available for sale. Contact me at ianstewartgmat at gmail.com for details.

Private GMAT Tutor based in Toronto

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 272 [0], given: 222

If Set Z has a median of 19, what is the range of Set Z? [#permalink] New post 05 Feb 2014, 13:42

OE
[Reveal] Spoiler:
(1) Average of 3rd and 4th members must be 19. First 3 members of arranged set must be {11, 15, 18…} and either x or y must equal 20, 4th member. Remaining members include 28 and the other variable.
Other variable can be between 20 and 28, or it can be greater — nothing in the statement or stem places a restriction on this value. Since we do not know the value of the largest member,
Insufficient.
(2) Knowing that the median is 19 and that the average is 20 tells us nothing about the value of the highest and lowest members. They could be anything at all.
Insufficient
(1) & (2)
Remaining variable from (1) must make the sum of all the members of Z equal 20 when divided by 6 (by using the average formula).
We have one remaining variable for which we can solve. Given this information, we can determine the smallest and largest members, and from there find the range.
Sufficient.

Hi, I want to request the clarification of the solution as OE is not very clear to me..
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Followers: 486

Kudos [?]: 1980 [1] , given: 29

Re: If Set Z has a median of 19, what is the range of Set Z? [#permalink] New post 05 Feb 2014, 14:28
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
goodyear2013 wrote:

Hi, I want to request the clarification of the solution as OE is not very clear to me..

Dear goodyear2013
I'm happy to help with this. :-)
Here's an article about mean & median:
http://magoosh.com/gmat/2012/common-gma ... tatistics/
Here's an article about Data Sufficiency strategies:
http://magoosh.com/gmat/2013/gmat-data- ... ency-tips/

At the outset, we know nothing about Set Z but the median. As usual, we have no way to answer the questions without the statements.

Statement #1: Z = {18, 28, 11, x, 15, y}
We have three numbers less than 19, so they only way we can have a median of 19 is to have one of the variables x = 20, and the other equal something greater than or equal to 20. If x = 20 and y = 3000, then the set would have a median of 19 and a very large range, and because we could pick whatever we want for the value of y, we have no way to determine an exact value of the range. This statement, along and by itself, is not sufficient.

Statement #2: The average (arithmetic mean) of Set Z is 20.
The tricky thing about this statement is that we need to ignore statement #1 completely and just focus on this. Right now, we know median = 19, mean = 20, and absolutely nothing else about the situation. We don't even know how many members are in the set --- 6, or 10, or 500. We know nothing, so we certainly don't know the range. This statement, along and by itself, is not sufficient.

Combined Statements
From the first statement, we know x = 20 and y > 20. If the six numbers have an average of 20, then they have a sum of 120.
18 + 28 + 11 + 20 + 15 + y = 120
We could solve this for y, but we won't be daft enough actually to perform that calculation. This is GMAT Data Sufficiency! We don't actually need to solve for y. All we need to do is determine that y has a unique value, and we are able to create a simple equation for it, then we could solve. At that point, we would know all six numbers in the set, and we would know the range. The combined statements are sufficient.

Answer = (C)

BTW, y = 28, but that's irrelevant for answering the question.

Does all this make sense?
Mike :-)

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Schools: AGSM '22
GMAT Date: 04-01-2014
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 34 [1] , given: 24

Re: If Set Z has a median of 19, what is the range of Set Z? [#permalink] New post 05 Feb 2014, 14:54
This post received
KUDOS
Hi goodyear.

We are given

{11,15,18,28} and {x,y} and we don't know where x or y is placed in relation to other numbers.

Lets examine the statements

Statement 1

median is 19 and we have 6 numbers in the set, meaning if the numbers are ordered from smallest to greatest, average of 3rd and 4th numbers is 19.
We are already given 3 numbers less than 19, so for S1 to be correct 4th number (say x) must be 20. and y >=20. Any of them less than 20 would make the median smaller than 19. However this does not give us enough information to identify the range of the set. y could be any number greater than 20 making us impossible to determine the range of the set. Not Sufficient.

Statement 2

If mean of the set Z is 20, sum of x+y must be 48. We don't know anything else again there are infinite number of pairs that would satisfy this condition, making us impossible to determine the range of the set. Not sufficient.

Statement 1& 2

We know one of x,y must be 20 and x+y 48, so y must be 28. From this information we can obtain range 28-11 = 17
So Statement 1 and 2 together are sufficient.

Answer C

I hope this helps.

Kudos (+1) if you find this post helpful. :)

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
Followers: 1070

Kudos [?]: 4771 [1] , given: 163

Re: If Set Z has a median of 19, what is the range of Set Z? [#permalink] New post 05 Feb 2014, 21:16
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
goodyear2013 wrote:

OE
[Reveal] Spoiler:
(1) Average of 3rd and 4th members must be 19. First 3 members of arranged set must be {11, 15, 18…} and either x or y must equal 20, 4th member. Remaining members include 28 and the other variable.
Other variable can be between 20 and 28, or it can be greater — nothing in the statement or stem places a restriction on this value. Since we do not know the value of the largest member,
Insufficient.
(2) Knowing that the median is 19 and that the average is 20 tells us nothing about the value of the highest and lowest members. They could be anything at all.
Insufficient
(1) & (2)
Remaining variable from (1) must make the sum of all the members of Z equal 20 when divided by 6 (by using the average formula).
We have one remaining variable for which we can solve. Given this information, we can determine the smallest and largest members, and from there find the range.
Sufficient.

This is how I would approach this question:

Set Z, median 19 - when I think median, I think of placing the numbers in increasing order because the middle number will be median.
Range of Z means I need to know the smallest and largest numbers of set Z.

Let's arrange the known numbers in increasing order: 11, 15, 18, 28
There are 6 numbers in the set so the average of 3rd and 4th numbers will be 19. Since the third number 18 is less than 19, the fourth number must be greater than 19 and the average of 3rd and 4th numbers must be 19. The fourth number must be 20 (which will be either x or y, say x). But we still don't know the value of y. If y is 25, the range of Z will be 28 - 11 = 17. If y is 30, the range of Z will be 30 - 11 = 19. If y is 100, the range of Z will be 100 - 11 = 89 and so on...

We only know the median and mean of a set. The extreme values could lie anywhere.

Using both together, Z = {11, 15, 18, 20, 28, x}
Mean of set Z is 20 = (11 + 15 + 18 + 20 + 28+x)/6
x = 28

Range of Z = 28 - 11 = 17
Sufficient

Answer (C)

Here are some posts on mean, median and range:
http://www.veritasprep.com/blog/2012/04 ... etic-mean/
http://www.veritasprep.com/blog/2012/04 ... questions/
http://www.veritasprep.com/blog/2012/05 ... tic-means/
http://www.veritasprep.com/blog/2012/05 ... on-median/
http://www.veritasprep.com/blog/2012/05 ... questions/

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Math Expert
Followers: 3361

Kudos [?]: 24394 [1] , given: 2677

Re: If Set Z has a median of 19, what is the range of Set Z? [#permalink] New post 05 Feb 2014, 23:15
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
goodyear2013 wrote:

OE
[Reveal] Spoiler:
Insufficient.
Insufficient
(1) & (2)
Sufficient.

Merging similar topics. Please search before posting. Thank you.

NEW TO MATH FORUM? PLEASE READ THIS: ALL YOU NEED FOR QUANT!!!

PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 11 Rules for Posting!!!

RESOURCES: [GMAT MATH BOOK]; 1. Triangles; 2. Polygons; 3. Coordinate Geometry; 4. Factorials; 5. Circles; 6. Number Theory; 7. Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets; 9. PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders; 11. GMAT Prep Software Analysis NEW!!!; 12. SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) NEW!!!; 12. Tricky questions from previous years. NEW!!!;

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS ; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

What are GMAT Club Tests?
25 extra-hard Quant Tests

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Re: If Set Z has a median of 19, what is the range of Set Z?   [#permalink] 05 Feb 2014, 23:15