Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Apr 2014, 07:57

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

If something would have been justifiably regretted if it had

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: International Business, Operations
Schools: Foster '15 (S)
GPA: 3.65
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 32 [2] , given: 8

GMAT ToolKit User
If something would have been justifiably regretted if it had [#permalink] New post 06 Dec 2012, 21:52
This post received
KUDOS
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

65% (medium)

Question Stats:

34% (02:46) correct 65% (01:48) wrong based on 210 sessions
If something would have been justifiably regretted if it had occurred, then it is something that one should not have desired in the first place. Many forgone pleasures would have been justifiably regretted. It follows that many forgone pleasures should not have been desired in the first place.

The conclusion above follows logically if which one of the following is assumed?
A One should never regret one’s pleasures.
B Forgone pleasures that were not desired would not have been justifiably regretted.
C Everything that one desires and then regrets not having is a forgone pleasure.
D Many forgone pleasures would have been justifiably regretted.
E Nothing that one should not have desired in the first place fails to be a pleasure.

Can anybody have a proper explanation to the OA provided. I am getting too confused when I read the premise itself to even answer the question.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

GMAT Pill Representative
Schools: LBS '14 (A)
GMAT 1: 770 Q48 V48
Followers: 115

Kudos [?]: 146 [0], given: 4

Re: Forgone pleasures [#permalink] New post 07 Dec 2012, 02:37
Hi,

What is the source for this question. I agree the argument itself is quite confusing, I wonder if it's an 'official' question.

Former GMAT Pill student, now on staff. Used GMATPILL OG 12 and nothing else: 770 (48,48) & 6.0

... and more

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 4

Re: Forgone pleasures [#permalink] New post 07 Dec 2012, 15:07
The answer is mentioned in the premises @_@
VP
VP
Affiliations: NYK Line
GMAT 1: 410 Q35 V11
GMAT 2: 530 Q44 V20
GMAT 3: 630 Q45 V31
GPA: 3.84
WE: Engineering (Transportation)
Followers: 26

Kudos [?]: 213 [0], given: 65

Re: Forgone pleasures [#permalink] New post 08 Dec 2012, 14:42
Its bit difficult but i managed to get correct answer.

If regretting is justified than do not do it. Similarly many foregone pleasure is regrettable than do not do it.You have to find an assumption.

Only option choice that remains as contenders are
B and D
When negation done on B it strengthens or repeats the implication conclusion. Hence the answer is D.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 43 [1] , given: 59

CAT Tests
Re: Forgone pleasures [#permalink] New post 09 Dec 2012, 01:25
This post received
KUDOS
+kudo, Good question pikachu !

In Simple words, Many things in life that we truly regret are those which are desired at First place. For example, Forgone pleasure about which we regret later.

Things regretted -> Things put at 1st place

Replace things with 'forgone pleasure'(FP)

FP regretted-> FP was put in 1st place
Its given in the statement that, Forgone pleasures are regretted because these are put on first place.

The conclusion above follows logically if which one of the following is assumed?
A One should never regret one’s pleasures. It's is nowhere mentioned in the statement.
B Forgone pleasures that were not desired would not have been justifiably regretted. It says that forgone pleasures that were not desired and not put on first place, would not have been regretted. It seems correct, but not true. A -> B, doesn't mean Not(A)-> Not(B)
C Everything that one desires and then regrets not having is a forgone pleasure. It's said in the statement but in different words. but the error lies in the extremity of the sentence i.e. Everything. The argument stated is a generic one and forgone pleasure is an example. Its not the only forgone pleasure that is put on first place. . Most of the times, extreme answers are wrong.
D Many forgone pleasures would have been justifiably regretted. The example of forgone pleasure cited in the argument is correct if it is true that at least few forgone pleasures were regretted people.
E Nothing that one should not have desired in the first place fails to be a pleasure. This says, pleasure should not be on the first place. So, pleasure should not be regretted. The argument is talking about the things that are not in our control(as occurred in the past). We regret about the things that are occurred in the past. This can't be an answer.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: International Business, Operations
Schools: Foster '15 (S)
GPA: 3.65

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 8

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: If something would have been justifiably regretted if it had [#permalink] New post 24 Dec 2012, 12:46
pikachu wrote:
If something would have been justifiably regretted if it had occurred, then it is something that one should not have desired in the first place. Many forgone pleasures would have been justifiably regretted. It follows that many forgone pleasures should not have been desired in the first place.

A One should never regret one’s pleasures.
B Forgone pleasures that were not desired would not have been justifiably regretted.
C Everything that one desires and then regrets not having is a forgone pleasure.
D Many forgone pleasures would have been justifiably regretted.
E Nothing that one should not have desired in the first place fails to be a pleasure.

Can anybody have a proper explanation to the OA provided. I am getting too confused when I read the premise itself to even answer the question.

PS: the question was taken from some CR questions I had downloaded from the GMAT club site.

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 11

Re: If something would have been justifiably regretted if it had [#permalink] New post 03 Feb 2013, 18:27
can anyone show me how to do the negation technique? :-D

my answer is B.
2 KUDOS received
Current Student
Status: Making every effort to create original content for you!!
Concentration: Healthcare, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 660 Q48 V34
GMAT 2: 750 Q49 V42
Followers: 226

Kudos [?]: 691 [2] , given: 82

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: If something would have been justifiably regretted if it had [#permalink] New post 03 Feb 2013, 19:21
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
askar29 wrote:
can anyone show me how to do the negation technique? :-D

my answer is B.

Hi askar29 and all,

First off, this is not a GMAT questions, it's from LSAT. Doing questions like these could jumble up your concepts and the language is very different from the usual GMAT questions. LSAT makes the language convoluted by using multiple "nots" in the questions.

Although this question is an assumption question, it requires an understanding of formal logic and conditional statements. If you know these things, the question is not a difficult one.

premise : if X(something would have been justifiably regretted ) is true then Y( it is something that one should not have desired in the first place) is recommended
conclusion: Y(many forgone pleasures should not have been desired in the first place) is recommended
assumption: X is true = Option D bridges the missing link.

Premise: X --> Y
Conclusion: Z(forgone pleasures) --> Y
Assumption (the missing link): Z --> X

if you include the assumption the argument becomes

Z --> X, X --> Y ==> Z --> Y

Moreover, there is not mention of forgone pleasures in the premise but the conclusion uses it. So, you need to find an answer which links the 'forgone pleasure' to the conclusion.

Negation of D would be "Many forgone pleasures would not have been justifiably regretted"

If forgone pleasures are not justifiably regretted then they become something that can be desired in the first place. This destroys the conclusion which says that "Many forgone pleasures many should not have been desired in the first place"

Again avoid these questions(LSAT) if you are preparing for GMAT; they may unnecessarily confuse you. Not because they are difficult, but because they are different.

Hope that helps,

Vercules

Press Kudos if you want to say thanks

Ultimate Reading Comprehension Encyclopedia | Ultimate Sentence Correction Encyclopedia | GMAT Prep Software Analysis and What If Scenarios -- VERBAL | GMAT Prep Software Analysis and What If Scenarios -- IR

Please Read and Follow the 9 Rules of Posting in Verbal Forum

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 11

Re: If something would have been justifiably regretted if it had [#permalink] New post 03 Feb 2013, 20:11
Thanks Vercules

but how can I differentiate between LSAT and GMAT questions? :cry:
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Status: Making every effort to create original content for you!!
Concentration: Healthcare, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 660 Q48 V34
GMAT 2: 750 Q49 V42
Followers: 226

Kudos [?]: 691 [1] , given: 82

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: If something would have been justifiably regretted if it had [#permalink] New post 03 Feb 2013, 20:31
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
aiha29 wrote:
Thanks Vercules

but how can I differentiate between LSAT and GMAT questions? :cry:

Hi aiha29,

I think you have just started your prep, if yes then restrict yourself to the study material that you are using and the official questions.

The official sources are OG 12, 13, Verbal Review, Quant Review, GMAT Prep questions. You will find LSAT questions in unofficial sources such as 1000 SC etc.. First of all you will usually not get an LSAT question in good GMAT courses/ study materials. But if at all you feel the need to find, you can do an internet search for the question. As almost all the LSAT released, an internet search for an LSAT question would list it in LSAT books/ forums.

In the initial phase of your study for GMAT, you should restrict yourself to the official questions/ explanations; gradually, you will yourself develop a sense of GMAT questions and would easily determine that a question is not GMAT like.

Vercules,

Press Kudos if you want to say thanks

Ultimate Reading Comprehension Encyclopedia | Ultimate Sentence Correction Encyclopedia | GMAT Prep Software Analysis and What If Scenarios -- VERBAL | GMAT Prep Software Analysis and What If Scenarios -- IR

Please Read and Follow the 9 Rules of Posting in Verbal Forum

Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V41
GPA: 3.49
WE: Engineering (Computer Software)

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 32

Re: If something would have been justifiably regretted if it had [#permalink] New post 22 Sep 2013, 21:45
D is directly quoted in the premise. Don't think such questions come in GMAT :roll:
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Technology, Leadership
GMAT Date: 08-02-2013
GPA: 3.7
WE: Consulting (Consulting)

Kudos [?]: 43 [0], given: 34

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: If something would have been justifiably regretted if it had [#permalink] New post 23 Sep 2013, 08:19
D, Aha! it is given word by word in the argument itself.

The argument says

It follows that many forgone pleasures should not have been desired in the first place. ... because they are regretted later on
Here the bold part serves as the missing link
D says,
Many forgone pleasures would have been justifiably regretted. -- this is the missing link :)

--It's one thing to get defeated, but another to accept it.

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 45

Re: If something would have been justifiably regretted if it had [#permalink] New post 27 Sep 2013, 10:33
The answer can't be D. Something that is stated as a premise, can't be an assumption.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 291

Re: If something would have been justifiably regretted if it had [#permalink] New post 12 Oct 2013, 02:41
The negation test destroys the argument comprehensively.
Re: If something would have been justifiably regretted if it had   [#permalink] 12 Oct 2013, 02:41