Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Jul 2014, 15:57

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

If t denotes the thousandths digit in the decimal

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 26 Jun 2007
Posts: 107
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 18 [1] , given: 0

If t denotes the thousandths digit in the decimal [#permalink] New post 17 Jan 2008, 06:27
1
This post received
KUDOS
1
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  15% (low)

Question Stats:

92% (01:40) correct 8% (00:55) wrong based on 72 sessions
d = 0.43t7

If t denotes the thousandths digit in the decimal representation of d above, what digit is t?

(1) If d were rounded to the nearest hundredth, the result would be 0.44
(2) If d were rounded to the nearest thousandth, the result would be 0.436
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 12 Jul 2007
Posts: 868
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 192 [1] , given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: DS, digits rounding [#permalink] New post 17 Jan 2008, 06:32
1
This post received
KUDOS
1. tells us that t = 5,6,7,8 or 9 INSUFFICIENT
2. tells us that t = 5 SUFFICIENT

Answer B
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 17 Jun 2012
Posts: 8
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: d = 0.43t7 If t denotes the thousandths digit in the decimal [#permalink] New post 13 Jul 2012, 16:46
Just a query- is 5 rounded up or down? Or is it left as it is?

Posted from my mobile device Image
Expert Post
Math Expert
User avatar
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 18683
Followers: 3232

Kudos [?]: 22200 [0], given: 2601

Re: d = 0.43t7 If t denotes the thousandths digit in the decimal [#permalink] New post 13 Jul 2012, 17:11
Expert's post
amit82 wrote:
Just a query- is 5 rounded up or down? Or is it left as it is?

Posted from my mobile device Image


If the first dropped digit is 5 (or greater), ROUND UP the last digit that you keep.

Rounding is simplifying a number to a certain place value. To round the decimal drop the extra decimal places, and if the first dropped digit is 5 or greater, ROUND UP the last digit that you keep. If the first dropped digit is 4 or smaller, ROUND DOWN (keep the same) the last digit that you keep.

Example:
5.3485 rounded to the nearest tenth = 5.3, since the dropped 4 is less than 5.
5.3485 rounded to the nearest hundredth = 5.35, since the dropped 8 is greater than 5.
5.3485 rounded to the nearest thousandth = 5.349, since the dropped 5 is equal to 5.

For more check Number Theory chapter of Math Book: math-number-theory-88376.html

d = 0.43t7

If t denotes the thousandths digit in the decimal representation of d above, what digit is t?


(1) If d were rounded to the nearest hundredth, the result would be 0.44. Just says that t\geq{5}. Not sufficient.
(2) If d were rounded to the nearest thousandth, the result would be 0.436. Since 7 is more than 5, then t was rounded up to become 6, hence t=5. Sufficient.

Answer: B.

Hope it's clear.

_________________

NEW TO MATH FORUM? PLEASE READ THIS: ALL YOU NEED FOR QUANT!!!

PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 11 Rules for Posting!!!

RESOURCES: [GMAT MATH BOOK]; 1. Triangles; 2. Polygons; 3. Coordinate Geometry; 4. Factorials; 5. Circles; 6. Number Theory; 7. Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets; 9. PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders; 11. GMAT Prep Software Analysis NEW!!!; 12. SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) NEW!!!; 12. Tricky questions from previous years. NEW!!!;

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS ; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.


What are GMAT Club Tests?
25 extra-hard Quant Tests

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 17 Jun 2012
Posts: 8
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: If t denotes the thousandths digit in the decimal [#permalink] New post 14 Jul 2012, 05:39
yessss....it's absolutely clear... Thanks a lot...

Posted from my mobile device Image
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 05 Nov 2012
Posts: 147
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 56

Re: d = 0.43t7 If t denotes the thousandths digit in the decimal [#permalink] New post 28 Nov 2012, 10:37
Bunuel wrote:
amit82 wrote:
Just a query- is 5 rounded up or down? Or is it left as it is?

Posted from my mobile device Image


If the first dropped digit is 5 (or greater), ROUND UP the last digit that you keep.

Rounding is simplifying a number to a certain place value. To round the decimal drop the extra decimal places, and if the first dropped digit is 5 or greater, ROUND UP the last digit that you keep. If the first dropped digit is 4 or smaller, ROUND DOWN (keep the same) the last digit that you keep.

Example:
5.3485 rounded to the nearest tenth = 5.3, since the dropped 4 is less than 5.
5.3485 rounded to the nearest hundredth = 5.35, since the dropped 8 is greater than 5.
5.3485 rounded to the nearest thousandth = 5.349, since the dropped 5 is equal to 5.

For more check Number Theory chapter of Math Book: math-number-theory-88376.html

d = 0.43t7

If t denotes the thousandths digit in the decimal representation of d above, what digit is t?


(1) If d were rounded to the nearest hundredth, the result would be 0.44. Just says that t\geq{5}. Not sufficient.
(2) If d were rounded to the nearest thousandth, the result would be 0.436. Since 7 is more than 5, then t was rounded up to become 6, hence t=5. Sufficient.

Answer: B.

Hope it's clear.

I agree with your answer but... for bold above... t can also take a value of 4 right? because we got a 7....
Expert Post
Math Expert
User avatar
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 18683
Followers: 3232

Kudos [?]: 22200 [0], given: 2601

Re: d = 0.43t7 If t denotes the thousandths digit in the decimal [#permalink] New post 29 Nov 2012, 03:26
Expert's post
Amateur wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
amit82 wrote:
Just a query- is 5 rounded up or down? Or is it left as it is?

Posted from my mobile device Image


If the first dropped digit is 5 (or greater), ROUND UP the last digit that you keep.

Rounding is simplifying a number to a certain place value. To round the decimal drop the extra decimal places, and if the first dropped digit is 5 or greater, ROUND UP the last digit that you keep. If the first dropped digit is 4 or smaller, ROUND DOWN (keep the same) the last digit that you keep.

Example:
5.3485 rounded to the nearest tenth = 5.3, since the dropped 4 is less than 5.
5.3485 rounded to the nearest hundredth = 5.35, since the dropped 8 is greater than 5.
5.3485 rounded to the nearest thousandth = 5.349, since the dropped 5 is equal to 5.

For more check Number Theory chapter of Math Book: math-number-theory-88376.html

d = 0.43t7

If t denotes the thousandths digit in the decimal representation of d above, what digit is t?


(1) If d were rounded to the nearest hundredth, the result would be 0.44. Just says that t\geq{5}. Not sufficient.
(2) If d were rounded to the nearest thousandth, the result would be 0.436. Since 7 is more than 5, then t was rounded up to become 6, hence t=5. Sufficient.

Answer: B.

Hope it's clear.

I agree with your answer but... for bold above... t can also take a value of 4 right? because we got a 7....


No, that's not correct. When we are rounding to the nearest hundredth, only thousandth digit matters since it's the first dropped digit (check example in my previous post).

Thus, 0.43t7 rounded to the nearest hundredth to be 0.44, t must be more than or equal to 5.

Hope it's clear.

_________________

NEW TO MATH FORUM? PLEASE READ THIS: ALL YOU NEED FOR QUANT!!!

PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 11 Rules for Posting!!!

RESOURCES: [GMAT MATH BOOK]; 1. Triangles; 2. Polygons; 3. Coordinate Geometry; 4. Factorials; 5. Circles; 6. Number Theory; 7. Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets; 9. PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders; 11. GMAT Prep Software Analysis NEW!!!; 12. SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) NEW!!!; 12. Tricky questions from previous years. NEW!!!;

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS ; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.


What are GMAT Club Tests?
25 extra-hard Quant Tests

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 05 Nov 2012
Posts: 147
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 56

Re: If t denotes the thousandths digit in the decimal [#permalink] New post 29 Nov 2012, 11:34
yup, I thought we need to round off 7 first and then the thousandth digit to round hundredth.... the process which you said, is it just employed in GMAT or in general too? thanks for clarifying....
Expert Post
Math Expert
User avatar
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 18683
Followers: 3232

Kudos [?]: 22200 [0], given: 2601

Re: If t denotes the thousandths digit in the decimal [#permalink] New post 30 Nov 2012, 03:03
Expert's post
Amateur wrote:
yup, I thought we need to round off 7 first and then the thousandth digit to round hundredth.... the process which you said, is it just employed in GMAT or in general too? thanks for clarifying....


This is a general rule, not only for the GMAT.

_________________

NEW TO MATH FORUM? PLEASE READ THIS: ALL YOU NEED FOR QUANT!!!

PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 11 Rules for Posting!!!

RESOURCES: [GMAT MATH BOOK]; 1. Triangles; 2. Polygons; 3. Coordinate Geometry; 4. Factorials; 5. Circles; 6. Number Theory; 7. Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets; 9. PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders; 11. GMAT Prep Software Analysis NEW!!!; 12. SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) NEW!!!; 12. Tricky questions from previous years. NEW!!!;

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS ; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.


What are GMAT Club Tests?
25 extra-hard Quant Tests

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Re: If t denotes the thousandths digit in the decimal   [#permalink] 30 Nov 2012, 03:03
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
1 Experts publish their posts in the topic What is the thousandths digit of the decimal p ? thevenus 6 17 Oct 2012, 06:05
1 Experts publish their posts in the topic If t denotes the thousandths digit in the decimal Bunuel 3 03 Sep 2012, 05:04
1 if digit h is the hundredths' digit in the decimal vannu 9 14 Jul 2009, 13:46
x = 0.57y 9. If y denotes the thousandth digit in the lylya4 4 04 Oct 2008, 18:43
1 If d denotes a decimal, is d >= 0.5? blshah 16 11 Dec 2005, 09:54
Display posts from previous: Sort by

If t denotes the thousandths digit in the decimal

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.