Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Oct 2014, 18:01

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

If the ad agency that created the television ad for

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 07 Aug 2011
Posts: 186
Location: United States
Concentration: Technology, International Business
GMAT 1: 690 Q48 V37
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 6

Re: If the ad agency that created the television ad for [#permalink] New post 26 Dec 2011, 07:09
why A
it should be B
B introduces women as a user of the tool and puts doubt in the argument provided and also supports advertiser

A is also adding a new user group and claims to be a target audience, but B really makes a clear marker that women can also a target segment
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 09 May 2011
Posts: 16
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

Re: If the ad agency that created the television ad for [#permalink] New post 01 Jan 2012, 11:20
Jdam wrote:
Tough one. A, B, and D all looked good to me.


I'm in a similar position regarding this. I remember from my time studying for the LSAT that one of the points to weakening reasoning is to focus on weakening the conclusion, not the premises.

The argument concludes there is a mistake.
The facts are that it is 1) on a women targeted show 2) majority of frequent users are men

The question we need to ask is "why is there not a mistake?"
A) If the purchasers of products are not the end users, it allows us to break the apparent logical discrepancy in play. There is not a mistake if this is true because it means that the end users do not have to watch the TV show. This choice doesn't mean that it is impossible there is a mistake, but it certainly provides us with an alternative situation in which a purchaser may have different behaviors than the end user group, thus explaining the targeting variance.
B) Many women occasionally use the tools. Here we are generous to the network in assuming that they will target their ads to the primary source of the sale and that an occasional user does not qualify in that group. If we look at the group of occasional users, it appears they are out of the scope. Choices that are out of scope do not tend to weaken. Furthermore, this choice really focuses on the premises by questioning the demographics - it tries to make us wonder whether women in fact predominant or significant users of tools. However, we know what we need from the premises: the majority of frequent users (implied marketing targets) are men.
D) This weakens, although it is very limited in its ability to weaken. It would be stronger if the question placed more absolutes, "only women" "only frequent users" "no men" etc. We know from it that some men who frequently use the tools occasionally watch the cooking shows. Does this necessarily mean that the network made a mistake? No - they could have targeted the very small subset of the population, but if we give them benefit by assuming that they target their ads to the primary source of the sale, then it would appear a mistake remains.
2 KUDOS received
Current Student
avatar
Joined: 04 Nov 2012
Posts: 90
Location: United States
Concentration: Finance, International Business
GMAT 1: Q44 V38
GPA: 3.7
WE: Science (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 33 [2] , given: 82

Re: If the ad agency that created the television ad for [#permalink] New post 19 Dec 2012, 09:43
2
This post received
KUDOS
Nsentra wrote:
If the ad agency that created the television ad for Tough-As-Nails Tools had thoroughly researched customer demographics, then they would have realized that the majority of frequent tool users are men. Yet the ad was shown during a cooking program targeted to women. However, if the advertisers had not researched customer demographics, then the ad would not have incorporated images depicting the use of tools in home improvement projects as an activity that men enjoy. Yet the ad did so. Therefore the ad agency made some sort of mistake: either the agency did not understand the demographics of the cooking program's audience or the ad was intended to be shown during a different program.

Which one of the following statements, if true, would most weaken the argument above?

(A) The purchasers of products given as gifts are not the ultimate users of those products.

Strong argument... especially if aired around father's day.

(B) Many women, including those who watch cooking programs, occasionally use tools for home improvement projects.

Unlikely since women never use tools.... just kidding. This supports the argument not weakens it because of the men doing the work on the commercial. Secondly, it is arguably a waste of money to go after occasional users.

(C) The ad agency had never previously aired an ad during a program other than the one intended.

Unless said agency is infallible this doesn't weaken the argument.

(D) Some men, including some who use tools frequently, occasionally watch cooking programs.

This is similar to B. It is a waste of money to advertise to a slim part of the audience and actually strengthens the argument, not weakens it.

(E) The ad agency has a reputation for conducting high quality demographic research.


This is a repeat of answer C with a different twist. Infallibility is not a reasonable assumption when data contradicts that assumption.

The answer is unequivocally A.
_________________

kudos are appreciated

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 19 Dec 2012
Posts: 8
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 12

Re: If the ad agency that created the television ad for [#permalink] New post 19 Dec 2012, 14:57
IMO B

Yet I think I understand why it is wrong?

The argument states that the company had already made the analysis and then they found out men are the ultimate USERS (NOT THE BUYERS IT KICKS OUT D) of these tools. So we have to weaken the argument by prove that the company advertised their product on cooking program, deliberately. Besides, answer B has the same flawed approach the company adversited its products to increase its sales. Many women using these tools does not mean they buy them too.

A is the only option left , although it is not so clear for a non-native test taker like me.
Current Student
avatar
Status: Final Lap Up!!!
Affiliations: NYK Line
Joined: 21 Sep 2012
Posts: 1097
Location: India
GMAT 1: 410 Q35 V11
GMAT 2: 530 Q44 V20
GMAT 3: 630 Q45 V31
GPA: 3.84
WE: Engineering (Transportation)
Followers: 31

Kudos [?]: 274 [0], given: 67

Re: If the ad agency that created the television ad for [#permalink] New post 19 Dec 2012, 16:37
Answer is absolutely correct it must be A............
Why I say the reasoning error presented is called Strawman Error as discussed in Method of reasoning chapter of Powerscore CR .......It is like drawing a conclusion without completely listening to the author..........The main motive of such speaker is to weaken the thought presented by the author.

It can also be categorized as Error in evidance or Cause and effect error.....easiest way is to consider Cause and effect error ..........Clearly the ad company might be aiming at "Different group of people".

I read some of teh members say that answer is B , If they say it is B , than why not D

-----------------------------------------
Consider Kudos, If my post helped!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 14 Jul 2012
Posts: 15
Location: United States
Concentration: General Management, International Business
GPA: 3.3
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 8

Re: If the ad agency that created the television ad for [#permalink] New post 20 Dec 2012, 19:13
I think we all understand that A and D are the only contenders in comparision to other choices because -
B) word occasionally speaks for itself - thus fails to suggest strongly that women are the main targetted audience.This could have weakened the arguement.
c) Does not matter whether AD Agency aired in other programs earlier or not.
e) The AD Agency has reputation for conducting high quality demographic research.- so this may hint towards actual target segment comprised of women
which is against the fact in the para.

I wont bank on D as The target audience cannot be limited to such a small segment saying 'Some men including some who use...'.

So, ultimately even by choice of elimination you are left with A which strongly weakens the entire arguement of non-catering to worthy audience for the product by saying - The purchasers of products given as gifts are not the ultimate users of those products - so women audience would gift to men (their husband or servant or housekeeper..whomever to use these tools for home improvement..
Thus, A looks most justifying here.
GMAT Instructor
avatar
Joined: 24 Jun 2008
Posts: 978
Location: Toronto
Followers: 261

Kudos [?]: 707 [0], given: 3

Re: If the ad agency that created the television ad for [#permalink] New post 21 Dec 2012, 09:09
I guess this question has already been discussed at length, but I just wanted to point out why you can eliminate B instantly. The question already says "the majority of frequent tool users are men", so in other words, a minority of tool users are women. So the stem already tells us that women occasionally use tools. Answer B just restates a premise of the argument, and you can't weaken an argument by restating one of its premises!

I don't like answer A much, because as one person mentioned above, what it says is self-evidently true; people who give tools as gifts obviously aren't generally going to be using those tools. But A is the only answer that gets at the right idea, at least: the people who buy products are not always the people who use those products, so the advertising company might have known what it was doing after all. A should really read something more like "tools are often given as gifts", in which case it would have been fine.
_________________

Nov 2011: After years of development, I am now making my advanced Quant books and high-level problem sets available for sale. Contact me at ianstewartgmat at gmail.com for details.

Private GMAT Tutor based in Toronto

Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
User avatar
Joined: 15 Jun 2012
Posts: 1120
Location: United States
Followers: 136

Kudos [?]: 1374 [0], given: 122

Re: If the ad agency that created the television ad for [#permalink] New post 13 Dec 2013, 13:21
Nsentra wrote:
If the ad agency that created the television ad for Tough-As-Nails Tools had thoroughly researched customer demographics, then they would have realized that the majority of frequent tool users are men. Yet the ad was shown during a cooking program targeted to women. However, if the advertisers had not researched customer demographics, then the ad would not have incorporated images depicting the use of tools in home improvement projects as an activity that men enjoy. Yet the ad did so. Therefore the ad agency made some sort of mistake: either the agency did not understand the demographics of the cooking program's audience or the ad was intended to be shown during a different program.

Which one of the following statements, if true, would most weaken the argument above?

(A) The purchasers of products given as gifts are not the ultimate users of those products.
(B) Many women, including those who watch cooking programs, occasionally use tools for home improvement projects.
(C) The ad agency had never previously aired an ad during a program other than the one intended.
(D) Some men, including some who use tools frequently, occasionally watch cooking programs.
(E) The ad agency has a reputation for conducting high quality demographic research.


This is “weaken question”, the key is always how to translate the conclusion correctly. If you don’t understand the intended meaning of the conclusion, it’s hard to solve the question.

ANALYZE THE STIMULUS.

The logic of the question is:

* If the ad agency understood the demographics (the majority of frequent tool users are men) --> the ad would NOT be shown during “women” program.
* If the ad agency did NOT understand the demographics --> the ad would NOT incorporated “men” images. But the ad did have “men” images. That the ad agency did not understand the demographics is a wrong logic.

Conclusion:
There are two scenarios:
(1) the agency did not understand the demographics of the cooking program's audience
--OR--
(2) the ad was intended to be shown during a different program.

Assumption: The above two scenarios CAN’T happen simultaneously.
To weaken the conclusion: You need to demonstrate that the two scenarios CAN happen simultaneously.

ANALYZE EACH OPTION.

(A) The purchasers of products given as gifts are not the ultimate users of those products.
Correct. A means the ad agency knows the final users are men (understand the demographics), but the purchasers are usually women (intended to show the ad on cooking programs). Thus, A weakens the conclusion by showing that both scenarios above can happen simultaneously.

(B) Many women, including those who watch cooking programs, occasionally use tools for home improvement projects.
Wrong. B supports the second scenario that the ad was intended to be shown during a different program. (The ad agency targets at women as potential customers). But B says NOTHING about the first scenario. Thus, B can’t weaken the conclusion.

(C) The ad agency had never previously aired an ad during a program other than the one intended.
Wrong. Same error as in B. C supports the second scenario but says NOTHING about the first. Thus, C can’t weaken the conclusion.

(D) Some men, including some who use tools frequently, occasionally watch cooking programs.
Wrong. Same error as in B. D mentions that some men occasionally watch cooking programs, thus the ad agency did have intention to show the ad on those program. D supports the second scenario but says NOTHING about the first. D can’t weaken the conclusion.

(E) The ad agency has a reputation for conducting high quality demographic research.
Wrong. E does not weaken the conclusion as it does not show the correlation between demographic research and intention to show the ad on cooking programs.

Hope it helps.

TAKE AWAY:
For Weaken/Strengthen questions, Conclusion is KEY.
_________________

Please +1 KUDO if my post helps. Thank you.

"Designing cars consumes you; it has a hold on your spirit which is incredibly powerful. It's not something you can do part time, you have do it with all your heart and soul or you're going to get it wrong."

Chris Bangle - Former BMV Chief of Design.

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 28 Nov 2013
Posts: 1
Concentration: Strategy, International Business
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: If the ad agency that created the television ad for [#permalink] New post 13 Dec 2013, 15:36
Nsentra wrote:
If the ad agency that created the television ad for Tough-As-Nails Tools had thoroughly researched customer demographics, then they would have realized that the majority of frequent tool users are men. Yet the ad was shown during a cooking program targeted to women. However, if the advertisers had not researched customer demographics, then the ad would not have incorporated images depicting the use of tools in home improvement projects as an activity that men enjoy. Yet the ad did so. Therefore the ad agency made some sort of mistake: either the agency did not understand the demographics of the cooking program's audience or the ad was intended to be shown during a different program.

Which one of the following statements, if true, would most weaken the argument above?

(A) The purchasers of products given as gifts are not the ultimate users of those products.
(B) Many women, including those who watch cooking programs, occasionally use tools for home improvement projects.
(C) The ad agency had never previously aired an ad during a program other than the one intended.
(D) Some men, including some who use tools frequently, occasionally watch cooking programs.
(E) The ad agency has a reputation for conducting high quality demographic research.



The question is asking for which of the following choices showed that the ad agency did not make a mistake.
(A) The purchasers of products given as gifts are not the ultimate users of those products. No mistake
(B) Many women, including those who watch cooking programs, occasionally use tools for home improvement projects. strengthen
(C) The ad agency had never previously aired an ad during a program other than the one intended.strengthen
(D) Some men, including some who use tools frequently, occasionally watch cooking programs.strengthen
(E) The ad agency has a reputation for conducting high quality demographic research.[/quote]strengthen
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 14 Jun 2013
Posts: 4
Concentration: Operations, General Management
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 16

Re: If the ad agency that created the television ad for [#permalink] New post 13 Dec 2013, 22:42
Anyone,please explain it clearly
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 20 Oct 2013
Posts: 77
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 13

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: If the ad agency that created the television ad for [#permalink] New post 03 Jan 2014, 12:02
Researched -> know the majority of users are men
But show the ad during cooking program (watched more by women)
-> Mistake: either don't understand demographics or really intend to show during different program

A) Correct. It suggests an explanation: after watching the ad, women will consider to buy it for men (the main users of the tool)
B) Occasionally = not frequently. This choice supports the stat.
C) What happened in the past may not happen in the future.
D) Not strong enough to weaken the argument
E) It can made mistake even when having a reputation.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 04 Sep 2012
Posts: 42
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Marketing
GMAT 1: 620 Q48 V27
GMAT 2: 660 Q47 V34
GMAT 3: 700 Q47 V38
GPA: 3.25
WE: Analyst (Consulting)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 501

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: If the ad agency that created the television ad for [#permalink] New post 02 Jul 2014, 01:41
Nsentra wrote:
If the ad agency that created the television ad for Tough-As-Nails Tools had thoroughly researched customer demographics, then they would have realized that the majority of frequent tool users are men. Yet the ad was shown during a cooking program targeted to women. However, if the advertisers had not researched customer demographics, then the ad would not have incorporated images depicting the use of tools in home improvement projects as an activity that men enjoy. Yet the ad did so. Therefore the ad agency made some sort of mistake: either the agency did not understand the demographics of the cooking program's audience or the ad was intended to be shown during a different program.

Which one of the following statements, if true, would most weaken the argument above?

(A) The purchasers of products given as gifts are not the ultimate users of those products.
(B) Many women, including those who watch cooking programs, occasionally use tools for home improvement projects. - Pink Font helped eliminate this answer
(C) The ad agency had never previously aired an ad during a program other than the one intended. - Irrelevant
(D) Some men, including some who use tools frequently, occasionally watch cooking programs.- Blue Font helped eliminate this answer
(E) The ad agency has a reputation for conducting high quality demographic research. - Irrelevant


Answer is A. Explanation is seen above.
Re: If the ad agency that created the television ad for   [#permalink] 02 Jul 2014, 01:41
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
2 New fall shows added to the television aadikamagic 1 04 Oct 2014, 00:27
2 New fall shows added to the television network’s upcoming we virinchiwiwo 4 05 Apr 2014, 09:52
Profile Evaluation - Ad Agency Background rha 1 06 Dec 2010, 07:58
Ads ashkrs 1 02 Sep 2007, 07:13
A new wing is to be added to a certain hospital, creating 50 cpcalanoc 1 19 Dec 2004, 18:03
Display posts from previous: Sort by

If the ad agency that created the television ad for

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   [ 52 posts ] 



GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.