Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Oct 2014, 15:50

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

If the airspace around centrally located airports were

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Strategy, Operations
GMAT 1: 520 Q42 V19
GMAT 2: 540 Q44 V21
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 57 [1] , given: 22

If the airspace around centrally located airports were [#permalink] New post 09 May 2011, 10:46
This post received
KUDOS
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

5% (low)

Question Stats:

78% (02:16) correct 22% (01:22) wrong based on 230 sessions
Official Guide for GMAT Verbal Review, 2nd Edition

Practice Question
Question No.: 34
Page: 128
Difficulty:

If the airspace around centrally located airports were restricted to commercial airliners and only those private planes equipped with radar, most of the private-plane traffic would be forced to use outlying airfields.Such a reduction in the amount of private-plane traffic would reduce the risk of midair collision around the centrally located airports

The conclusion drawn in the first sentence depends on which of the following assumptions?

(A) Outlying airfields would be as convenient as centrally located airports for most pilots of private planes.
(B) Most outlying airfields are not equipped to handle commercial-airline traffic.
(C) Most private planes that use centrally located airports are not equipped with radar.
(D) Commercial airliners are at greater risk of becoming involved in midair collisions than are private planes.
(E) A reduction in the risk of midair collision would eventually lead to increases in commercial airline traffic.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

The proof of understanding is the ability to explain it.

Last edited by Narenn on 17 Oct 2013, 02:09, edited 4 times in total.
Slight Tweak
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 62 [0], given: 20

Re: Clearity regarding question wording required [#permalink] New post 09 May 2011, 12:53
yeh me too got the answer right, but not sure.. in a way i thought st-1 as conclusion and the last statement as reasoning for that conclusion..
Retired Moderator
Status: 2000 posts! I don't know whether I should feel great or sad about it! LOL
Schools: Harvard, Stanford, Wharton, MIT & HKS (Government)
WE 1: Economic research
WE 2: Banking
WE 3: Government: Foreign Trade and SMEs
Followers: 67

Kudos [?]: 330 [0], given: 109

Re: Clearity regarding question wording required [#permalink] New post 09 May 2011, 13:06
+1 C

There are tow types of private planes: those with radar and those without it.
Those with radar are allowed to fly in the restricted area.
Those without radar cannot fly in the restricted area, and they are a lot.

"Life’s battle doesn’t always go to stronger or faster men; but sooner or later the man who wins is the one who thinks he can."

My Integrated Reasoning Logbook / Diary: my-ir-logbook-diary-133264.html

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

VP
VP
Affiliations: PMI,QAI Global,eXampleCG
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 144 [0], given: 10

Re: Clearity regarding question wording required [#permalink] New post 09 May 2011, 20:59
Negating C clearly crashes the conclusion.

Visit -- http://www.sustainable-sphere.com/
Promote Green Business,Sustainable Living and Green Earth !!

Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: Q V
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 5

Re: If the airspace around centrally located airports were [#permalink] New post 21 Mar 2012, 17:53
I have picked C for this question:

The conclusion is: [highlight]The risk of midair collisions are the centrally located airports would be reduced.[/highlight]

A. This does not make sense. The reason for moving many of the private planes to the outlying airfields is not because of the convenience for the pilots.

B. Whether the outlying airfields can handle commercial airline traffic is irrelevant.

C. This is the correct answer. The passage states that "centrally located airports were restricted to commercial airliners and only those private planes equipped with radar." Therefore, the type of plane that cannot use the centrally located airports are the private planes that do not have radar.

D. This is not the assumed reason for moving private airplanes to outlying airfields.

E. How does the passage even prove this? This cannot be assumed.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 107 [0], given: 31

Re: If the airspace around centrally located airports were [#permalink] New post 21 Mar 2012, 21:03
C is the best option for the argument

Practice Practice and practice...!!

If my reply /analysis is helpful-->please press KUDOS
If there's a loophole in my analysis--> suggest measures to make it airtight.

Current Student
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 6

Re: If the airspace around centrally located airports were [#permalink] New post 04 Apr 2012, 22:38
IMO C......

if some planes are allowed then why some are not allowed?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 39

Re: If the airspace around centrally located airports were [#permalink] New post 08 Feb 2013, 08:13
lets diagram

restricted to privat plain with rada----->use outside airfield----> reduction trafic and accident

I call this type of argument "2 arrow in sequence"

in this type of argument,normally assumption which we are required to find is the assumption which is on the last arrow/last relation. but sometimes, the assumption which we have to find is assumption on the first arrow as in this case.

the process of prethinking an assmption should be on the last arrow/last relation. but when do not see the match in the answer choice, thing about an assumption on the first arrow.

gmat , of couse, know this pattern because they create questions. they create the experimental questions to test out reaction to each type of question and answer. suppose we are gmat and we have to create the questions, we will realize the patterns.

pls, commeny on my thinking.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 15

Re: If the airspace around centrally located airports were [#permalink] New post 27 Jun 2013, 20:27
Hi tanviet,

Can you please explain this pattern by giving few examples.

Kudos always encourages me

Re: If the airspace around centrally located airports were   [#permalink] 27 Jun 2013, 20:27