Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 01 Sep 2014, 10:58

Happy Labor Day:

Free Access to New GMATClub Tests for all GMATClub Members!!


Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

If the area of a parallelogram is 100, what is the perimeter

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 25 May 2009
Posts: 145
Concentration: Finance
GMAT Date: 12-16-2011
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 41 [1] , given: 2

If the area of a parallelogram is 100, what is the perimeter [#permalink] New post 29 Jun 2009, 18:20
1
This post received
KUDOS
6
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  35% (medium)

Question Stats:

60% (02:03) correct 40% (01:18) wrong based on 187 sessions
If the area of a parallelogram is 100, what is the perimeter of the parallelogram?

(1) The base of the parallelogram is 10.
(2) One of the angles of the parallelogram is 45 degrees.

[Reveal] Spoiler:
I thought A, because if the base is 10, the side has to be 10, because Area is 10. Therefore perimeter is 40. Regardless if this is a rhombus or not. B is insuffic, gives no details for lengths of sides.

(Maybe I am confusing what a base is? I am interpreting it as one of the sides.)

The OA is C. Not sure why, can someone please explain?
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
3 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
User avatar
Joined: 29 Jun 2009
Posts: 4
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 3 [3] , given: 5

Re: Parallelogram - Area and perimeter [#permalink] New post 29 Jun 2009, 23:27
3
This post received
KUDOS
If the area of a parallelogram is 100, what is the perimeter of the parallelogram?

1. The base of the parallelogram is 10.
2. One of the angles of the parallelogram is 45 degrees.

Statement 1
base = 10
given
area of a parallelogram = 100
base x height = 100
so, height = 10
height does not give the side of the parallelogram...
height is only equal to side if the parallelogram is a rectangle or a square
Insufficient
Statement 2
one of the angle of the parallelogram is 45 degs.
This does not say anything about sides.
insufficient

combining we can use the Pythagoras theorem to find the side...
so sufficient
Answer C
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 05 Sep 2006
Posts: 17
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Parallelogram - Area and perimeter [#permalink] New post 02 Jul 2009, 06:57
hi there.. Sorry I cant figure out how to find the side of the parallelogram , I understand that the height is 10 which will be one side and we can use pytho to find out the hypotneous but how do you find the third side of this triangle.
Intern
Intern
User avatar
Joined: 29 Jun 2009
Posts: 4
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 5

Re: Parallelogram - Area and perimeter [#permalink] New post 03 Jul 2009, 08:38
area of a parallelogram is given....
so area = base x height
or 100 = 10 x height
or height = 10

since one angel is 45, the other should be 45 and 90

now use the proportionality of right angled triangle of 45 45 90 to find the other side of the parallelogram...
hope this helps
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 25 May 2009
Posts: 145
Concentration: Finance
GMAT Date: 12-16-2011
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 41 [0], given: 2

Re: Parallelogram - Area and perimeter [#permalink] New post 05 Jul 2009, 19:37
Can someone please post what the perimeter of the parallelogram is? I want to make sure I understand this. Thanks.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 16 Apr 2009
Posts: 161
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Parallelogram - Area and perimeter [#permalink] New post 06 Jul 2009, 03:28
The perimeter would be
2(sum of the opposite sides)

One side is 10 and the opp side wud be 10*SQRT(2)
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 05 Sep 2006
Posts: 17
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Parallelogram - Area and perimeter [#permalink] New post 06 Jul 2009, 05:52
Hi Guys.. Please look at the solution in the attached word file and let me know if i got the side of the parallelogram correct

Thanks
Attachments

File comment: Solution
DS Question.doc [28 KiB]
Downloaded 189 times

To download please login or register as a user

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 18 Aug 2009
Posts: 439
Schools: UT at Austin, Indiana State University, UC at Berkeley
WE 1: 5.5
WE 2: 5.5
WE 3: 6.0
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 47 [0], given: 16

GMAT Tests User
Re: Parallelogram - Area and perimeter [#permalink] New post 28 May 2010, 13:15
I do not get this problem
Ok, let's imagine that the height of the parallelogram is 10 and it's base is 10 as well.
One of the angles of parallelogram is 45 degrees. That would mean, that one of the angles of the parallelogram height of the parallelogram and one of the sides of parallelogram will form right triangle. One leg of this triangle is 10, the other leg, which is part of the base of the parallelogram need to be 10 as well (Why?)
Because the right triangle is an isosceles triangle with angles 45, 45 and 90 degrees respectively.

BUT, that triangle would not make sense, since the total length of the base of the parallelogram is 10, how part of the length of the parallelogram could be 10 also.

Can somebody explain the problem to me.
Thank you
_________________

Never give up,,,

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Math Expert
User avatar
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 25236
Followers: 3428

Kudos [?]: 25215 [1] , given: 2702

Re: Parallelogram - Area and perimeter [#permalink] New post 28 May 2010, 15:57
1
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
mirzohidjon wrote:
I do not get this problem
Ok, let's imagine that the height of the parallelogram is 10 and it's base is 10 as well.
One of the angles of parallelogram is 45 degrees. That would mean, that one of the angles of the parallelogram height of the parallelogram and one of the sides of parallelogram will form right triangle. One leg of this triangle is 10, the other leg, which is part of the base of the parallelogram need to be 10 as well (Why?)
Because the right triangle is an isosceles triangle with angles 45, 45 and 90 degrees respectively.

BUT, that triangle would not make sense, since the total length of the base of the parallelogram is 10, how part of the length of the parallelogram could be 10 also.

Can somebody explain the problem to me.
Thank you


Let parallelogram be ABCD. Base AD = 10, height BX = 10 and the angle BAD = 45 degrees. This would mean that when you draw the hight from B it will meat the base at point D (D and X will coincide). So the height will be the diagonal too. AB and CD will become hypotenuses and will be equal to 10\sqrt{2}.

P=20+20\sqrt{2}.

Hope it's clear.
_________________

NEW TO MATH FORUM? PLEASE READ THIS: ALL YOU NEED FOR QUANT!!!

PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 11 Rules for Posting!!!

RESOURCES: [GMAT MATH BOOK]; 1. Triangles; 2. Polygons; 3. Coordinate Geometry; 4. Factorials; 5. Circles; 6. Number Theory; 7. Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets; 9. PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders; 11. GMAT Prep Software Analysis NEW!!!; 12. SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) NEW!!!; 12. Tricky questions from previous years. NEW!!!;

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS ; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.


What are GMAT Club Tests?
25 extra-hard Quant Tests

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 18 Aug 2009
Posts: 439
Schools: UT at Austin, Indiana State University, UC at Berkeley
WE 1: 5.5
WE 2: 5.5
WE 3: 6.0
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 47 [0], given: 16

GMAT Tests User
Re: Parallelogram - Area and perimeter [#permalink] New post 28 May 2010, 17:16
Hi, Bunuel,
I really appreciate your effort to help us. Finally after your explanation, I got the answer (since I imagined what kind of parallelogram the problem was talking about.
But, based on what assumptions, you deduce that parallelogram needs to be the way you described (diagonal equal to height)?
_________________

Never give up,,,

Expert Post
2 KUDOS received
Math Expert
User avatar
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 25236
Followers: 3428

Kudos [?]: 25215 [2] , given: 2702

Re: Parallelogram - Area and perimeter [#permalink] New post 29 May 2010, 03:30
2
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
mirzohidjon wrote:
Hi, Bunuel,
I really appreciate your effort to help us. Finally after your explanation, I got the answer (since I imagined what kind of parallelogram the problem was talking about.
But, based on what assumptions, you deduce that parallelogram needs to be the way you described (diagonal equal to height)?

Attachment:
PointLatticeParallelograms_1000.gif
PointLatticeParallelograms_1000.gif [ 3.32 KiB | Viewed 7357 times ]

If the area of a parallelogram is 100, what is the perimeter of the parallelogram?

Given: Area=base*height=100. Q: P=2b+2l=? (b - base, l - leg )

(1) The base of the parallelogram is 10 --> base=height=10. Infinite variations are possible. Look at the diagram (let the distance between two horizontal and vertical points be 10): all 4 parallelograms have base=height=10 but they have different perimeter. Not sufficient. Side notes: l\geq{10}, when l=10=h we would have the square (case #3 on the diagram) and P=40 (smallest possible perimeter), maximum value of perimeter is not limited.

(2) One of the angles of the parallelogram is 45 degrees. Clearly insufficient. But from this statement height BX and AX will make isosceles right triangle: height=BX=AX.

(1)+(2) As from 2 we have that height=BX=AX and from (1) we have that base=height=10 --> AX=base=AD=10 --> X and D coincide (case #4 on the diagram) --> leg (AB) becomes hypotenuse of the isosceles right triangle with sides equal to 10 --> AB=10\sqrt{2} --> P=20+20\sqrt{2}. Sufficient.

Answer: C.
Attachment:
m10-31.png
m10-31.png [ 1.83 KiB | Viewed 7356 times ]


Hope it's clear.
_________________

NEW TO MATH FORUM? PLEASE READ THIS: ALL YOU NEED FOR QUANT!!!

PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 11 Rules for Posting!!!

RESOURCES: [GMAT MATH BOOK]; 1. Triangles; 2. Polygons; 3. Coordinate Geometry; 4. Factorials; 5. Circles; 6. Number Theory; 7. Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets; 9. PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders; 11. GMAT Prep Software Analysis NEW!!!; 12. SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) NEW!!!; 12. Tricky questions from previous years. NEW!!!;

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS ; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.


What are GMAT Club Tests?
25 extra-hard Quant Tests

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 18 Aug 2009
Posts: 439
Schools: UT at Austin, Indiana State University, UC at Berkeley
WE 1: 5.5
WE 2: 5.5
WE 3: 6.0
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 47 [0], given: 16

GMAT Tests User
Re: Parallelogram - Area and perimeter [#permalink] New post 29 May 2010, 08:12
Thank you, it was great help!
_________________

Never give up,,,

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 16 Mar 2010
Posts: 191
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 40 [0], given: 9

GMAT Tests User
Re: Parallelogram - Area and perimeter [#permalink] New post 14 Jun 2010, 05:31
Hi every body,
I think statement-2 alone will be suffice if we want to find the Perimeter. If one angle is 45, another angle has to be 45. In addition other two angles will be 270/2 each. Now, if you consider area of 100, you can find only one parallelogram matching these qualities. Please mind that here I dont care how i will find out the perimeter. But I do know that it can be found out.

Bunuel,
Can you please throw some light on this issue? I am not sure if I am making some mistake here. But i strongly believe that statement-2 alone must be suffice.
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Math Expert
User avatar
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 25236
Followers: 3428

Kudos [?]: 25215 [1] , given: 2702

Re: Parallelogram - Area and perimeter [#permalink] New post 14 Jun 2010, 09:55
1
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
amitjash wrote:
Hi every body,
I think statement-2 alone will be suffice if we want to find the Perimeter. If one angle is 45, another angle has to be 45. In addition other two angles will be 270/2 each. Now, if you consider area of 100, you can find only one parallelogram matching these qualities. Please mind that here I dont care how i will find out the perimeter. But I do know that it can be found out.

Bunuel,
Can you please throw some light on this issue? I am not sure if I am making some mistake here. But i strongly believe that statement-2 alone must be suffice.


You are right about the angles, but there are many parallelograms possible with such angles and area 100:
h=10, b=10 --> area=100;
h=5, b=20 --> area=100;
h=1, b=100 --> area=100;
...
--> different perimeter.

If refer to my previous post then we would have that height=BX=AX (as angle BAD is 45 degrees) and base=AX+XD --> Area=BX*(AX+XD)=AX*(AX+XD)=100. You can plug different values for AX and XD to get are 100, thus the perimeter would be different for each case.
_________________

NEW TO MATH FORUM? PLEASE READ THIS: ALL YOU NEED FOR QUANT!!!

PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 11 Rules for Posting!!!

RESOURCES: [GMAT MATH BOOK]; 1. Triangles; 2. Polygons; 3. Coordinate Geometry; 4. Factorials; 5. Circles; 6. Number Theory; 7. Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets; 9. PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders; 11. GMAT Prep Software Analysis NEW!!!; 12. SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) NEW!!!; 12. Tricky questions from previous years. NEW!!!;

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS ; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.


What are GMAT Club Tests?
25 extra-hard Quant Tests

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Retired Moderator
User avatar
Joined: 02 Sep 2010
Posts: 807
Location: London
Followers: 77

Kudos [?]: 470 [0], given: 25

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: Perimeter of parallelogram [#permalink] New post 18 Oct 2010, 13:34
Orange08 wrote:
If the area of a parallelogram is 100, what is the perimeter of the parallelogram?

1.The base of the parallelogram is 10.
2.One of the angles of the parallelogram is 45 degrees.


(1) Insufficient. Base=10. Area=100. So height is 10, but we don't know the angle inside the paralellogram, so we don't actually know length of the sides. (Imagine extreme case angle=90, makes it a square. Angle=10, makes its perimeter approach a very large number)

(2) Insufficent. Angle=45. Again, we dont know the base and the height, all we know their product is 100. hxb=100. Perimeter is 2(h(sqrt(2)) + b) which can take a range of different values for different choices of h.

(1+2) In this case, base=10. Height =10. Angle=45. So the other side will be 10(sqrt(2)). Hence perimeter = 20+20sqrt(2). Sufficient

Answer is (c)
_________________

Math write-ups
1) Algebra-101 2) Sequences 3) Set combinatorics 4) 3-D geometry

My GMAT story

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 25 Jul 2010
Posts: 143
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 44 [0], given: 29

GMAT Tests User
Re: Perimeter of parallelogram [#permalink] New post 18 Oct 2010, 22:05
shrouded1 wrote:
Orange08 wrote:
If the area of a parallelogram is 100, what is the perimeter of the parallelogram?

1.The base of the parallelogram is 10.
2.One of the angles of the parallelogram is 45 degrees.


(1) Insufficient. Base=10. Area=100. So height is 10, but we don't know the angle inside the paralellogram, so we don't actually know length of the sides. (Imagine extreme case angle=90, makes it a square. Angle=10, makes its perimeter approach a very large number)

(2) Insufficent. Angle=45. Again, we dont know the base and the height, [highlight]all we know their product is 100. hxb=100[/highlight]. Perimeter is 2(h(sqrt(2)) + b) which can take a range of different values for different choices of h.

Answer is (c)


Is the area of parallelogram not equal to 1/2 * b * h ?
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 25 Aug 2010
Posts: 98
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: Parallelogram - Area and perimeter [#permalink] New post 20 Oct 2010, 05:34
Bunuel wrote:
mirzohidjon wrote:
Hi, Bunuel,
I really appreciate your effort to help us. Finally after your explanation, I got the answer (since I imagined what kind of parallelogram the problem was talking about.
But, based on what assumptions, you deduce that parallelogram needs to be the way you described (diagonal equal to height)?

Attachment:
PointLatticeParallelograms_1000.gif

If the area of a parallelogram is 100, what is the perimeter of the parallelogram?

Given: Area=base*height=100. Q: P=2b+2l=? (b - base, l - leg )

(1) The base of the parallelogram is 10 --> base=height=10. Infinite variations are possible. Look at the diagram (let the distance between two horizontal and vertical points be 10): all 4 parallelograms have base=height=10 but they have different perimeter. Not sufficient. Side notes: l\geq{10}, when l=10=h we would have the square (case #3 on the diagram) and P=40 (smallest possible perimeter), maximum value of perimeter is not limited.

(2) One of the angles of the parallelogram is 45 degrees. Clearly insufficient. But from this statement height BX and AX will make isosceles right triangle: height=BX=AX.

(1)+(2) As from 2 we have that height=BX=AX and from (1) we have that base=height=10 --> AX=base=AD=10 --> X and D coincide (case #4 on the diagram) --> leg (AB) becomes hypotenuse of the isosceles right triangle with sides equal to 10 --> AB=10\sqrt{2} --> P=20+20\sqrt{2}. Sufficient.

Answer: C.
Attachment:
m10-31.png


Hope it's clear.



HI Bunuel,

I got convienced bt small doubt grilling me ... if i draw a line from B to a base not diagnolly, can n't i consider as a height... ?? Is so then equation changes??
Expert Post
Math Expert
User avatar
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 25236
Followers: 3428

Kudos [?]: 25215 [0], given: 2702

Re: Parallelogram - Area and perimeter [#permalink] New post 20 Oct 2010, 07:38
Expert's post
vitamingmat wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
mirzohidjon wrote:
Hi, Bunuel,
I really appreciate your effort to help us. Finally after your explanation, I got the answer (since I imagined what kind of parallelogram the problem was talking about.
But, based on what assumptions, you deduce that parallelogram needs to be the way you described (diagonal equal to height)?

Attachment:
PointLatticeParallelograms_1000.gif

If the area of a parallelogram is 100, what is the perimeter of the parallelogram?

Given: Area=base*height=100. Q: P=2b+2l=? (b - base, l - leg )

(1) The base of the parallelogram is 10 --> base=height=10. Infinite variations are possible. Look at the diagram (let the distance between two horizontal and vertical points be 10): all 4 parallelograms have base=height=10 but they have different perimeter. Not sufficient. Side notes: l\geq{10}, when l=10=h we would have the square (case #3 on the diagram) and P=40 (smallest possible perimeter), maximum value of perimeter is not limited.

(2) One of the angles of the parallelogram is 45 degrees. Clearly insufficient. But from this statement height BX and AX will make isosceles right triangle: height=BX=AX.

(1)+(2) As from 2 we have that height=BX=AX and from (1) we have that base=height=10 --> AX=base=AD=10 --> X and D coincide (case #4 on the diagram) --> leg (AB) becomes hypotenuse of the isosceles right triangle with sides equal to 10 --> AB=10\sqrt{2} --> P=20+20\sqrt{2}. Sufficient.

Answer: C.
Attachment:
m10-31.png


Hope it's clear.



HI Bunuel,

I got convienced bt small doubt grilling me ... if i draw a line from B to a base not diagnolly, can n't i consider as a height... ?? Is so then equation changes??


A height is a perpendicular from a vertex to a side. When we consider two statements together we get that height from B coincide with diagonal BD.

Hope it's clear.
_________________

NEW TO MATH FORUM? PLEASE READ THIS: ALL YOU NEED FOR QUANT!!!

PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 11 Rules for Posting!!!

RESOURCES: [GMAT MATH BOOK]; 1. Triangles; 2. Polygons; 3. Coordinate Geometry; 4. Factorials; 5. Circles; 6. Number Theory; 7. Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets; 9. PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders; 11. GMAT Prep Software Analysis NEW!!!; 12. SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) NEW!!!; 12. Tricky questions from previous years. NEW!!!;

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS ; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.


What are GMAT Club Tests?
25 extra-hard Quant Tests

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 17 Aug 2010
Posts: 90
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 22

GMAT Tests User
Re: Parallelogram - Area and perimeter [#permalink] New post 02 Feb 2011, 02:37
regarding the problem got question:

cant parallelogram be trapezoid with equal sides ? (in that case the area of trapezoid will be totally different and the answer will be E )
Expert Post
Math Expert
User avatar
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 25236
Followers: 3428

Kudos [?]: 25215 [0], given: 2702

Re: Parallelogram - Area and perimeter [#permalink] New post 02 Feb 2011, 03:03
Expert's post
tinki wrote:
regarding the problem got question:

cant parallelogram be trapezoid with equal sides ? (in that case the area of trapezoid will be totally different and the answer will be E )


What do you mean by "cant parallelogram be trapezoid with equal sides"?

Next, given parallelogram (with one of the angles 45 degrees and base=height) can not have all 4 sides equal because it'll mean that height is equal to both base and leg which is impossible as the angle is 45 degrees (try to draw it).
_________________

NEW TO MATH FORUM? PLEASE READ THIS: ALL YOU NEED FOR QUANT!!!

PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 11 Rules for Posting!!!

RESOURCES: [GMAT MATH BOOK]; 1. Triangles; 2. Polygons; 3. Coordinate Geometry; 4. Factorials; 5. Circles; 6. Number Theory; 7. Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets; 9. PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders; 11. GMAT Prep Software Analysis NEW!!!; 12. SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) NEW!!!; 12. Tricky questions from previous years. NEW!!!;

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS ; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.


What are GMAT Club Tests?
25 extra-hard Quant Tests

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Re: Parallelogram - Area and perimeter   [#permalink] 02 Feb 2011, 03:03
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
3 Experts publish their posts in the topic What is the area of parallelogram ABCD ? Knesl 10 05 Apr 2011, 14:41
5 Experts publish their posts in the topic What is the area of parallelogram ABCD ? tkarthi4u 10 04 Oct 2009, 07:30
The area of a parallelogram is 100. What is the perimeter of arjtryarjtry 3 04 Sep 2008, 01:46
the area of a parallelogram is 100. what is the perimeter of bmwhype2 17 15 Dec 2007, 15:02
the area of a parallelogram is 100. what is the perimeter of hsk 15 30 May 2007, 15:54
Display posts from previous: Sort by

If the area of a parallelogram is 100, what is the perimeter

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Go to page    1   2    Next  [ 34 posts ] 



cron

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.