Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Jul 2014, 08:58

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

If the Area of a Triangle ABC is given by the formula

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Healthcare, Strategy
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V42
GPA: 3.88
WE: Medicine and Health (Health Care)
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 62 [1] , given: 31

GMAT Tests User
If the Area of a Triangle ABC is given by the formula [#permalink] New post 14 Oct 2012, 20:45
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

5% (low)

Question Stats:

100% (02:13) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 26 sessions
If the Area of a Triangle ABC is given by the formula 1/4 (a^2 + b^2), where a and b are the lengths of the two sides, then the angles of the triangle are?

A) 30, 60, 90
B) 60,40,80
C) 60,60,60
D) 90,45,45
E) None of the above

"When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe, then you’ll be successful.” - Eric Thomas

Last edited by vomhorizon on 15 Oct 2012, 01:49, edited 1 time in total.
1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
WE: Science (Education)
Followers: 65

Kudos [?]: 475 [1] , given: 43

GMAT Tests User
Re: If the Area of a Triangle ABC is given by the formula [#permalink] New post 15 Oct 2012, 00:46
This post received
KUDOS
vomhorizon wrote:
If the Area of a Triangle ABC is given by the formula 1/4 (a^2 + b^2), where a and b are the lengths of the two sides, then the angles of the triangle are?

A) 30, 60, 90
B) 60,40,80
C) 60,60,60
D) 90,45,45
E) None of the above

The answer cannot be C: in this case, the triangle would be equilateral, so necessarily a = b.
Then \frac{a^2+b^2}{4}=\frac{2a^2}{4} while the area of the triangle would be \frac{\sqrt{3}a^2}{4}.
The two expressions are equal only if a=0.

PhD in Applied Mathematics
Love GMAT Quant questions and running.

1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
WE: Science (Education)
Followers: 65

Kudos [?]: 475 [1] , given: 43

GMAT Tests User
Re: If the Area of a Triangle ABC is given by the formula [#permalink] New post 15 Oct 2012, 00:55
This post received
KUDOS
vomhorizon wrote:

A) 30, 60, 90
B) 60,40,80
C) 60,60,60
D) 90,45,45
E) None of the above

The triangle cannot be equilateral (see my previous post above if-the-area-of-a-triangle-abc-is-given-by-the-formula-140723.html#p1131446).

We can eliminate answer B, as on the GMAT we don't have any means to test it.

If the triangle is a right triangle, then a and b can be its two legs, or one is a leg and the other one is the hypotenuse.
It is easier to test the case when a and b are legs.

If the triangle is a right triangle with its two legs a and b, then a^2+b^2 is the square of the diameter of the circle in which this triangle is inscribed.
\frac{a^2+b^2}{4} represents half of the area of the square inscribed in the same circle. Recall the formula for the area of a square being half of the diagonal squared, which in this case is \frac{a^2+b^2}{2}.
It follows that the triangle is an isosceles right triangle.

There is just one correct answer (this is a PS question), so we should stop checking other options. A cannot be the answer, in the expression for the area of the triangle, a factor of \sqrt{3} would necessarily appear (try to work out the two cases), but on the test, we should stop after finding the correct answer rather then continue to prove that the other options are not acceptable.

Answer D.

PhD in Applied Mathematics
Love GMAT Quant questions and running.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Healthcare, Strategy
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V42
GPA: 3.88
WE: Medicine and Health (Health Care)
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 62 [0], given: 31

GMAT Tests User
Re: If the Area of a Triangle ABC is given by the formula [#permalink] New post 15 Oct 2012, 01:50
Quote:
The answer cannot be C: in this case, the triangle would be equilateral, so necessarily

Thanks for pointing it out. I have removed it the OG...

"When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe, then you’ll be successful.” - Eric Thomas

2 KUDOS received
Concentration: Strategy
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 61

Kudos [?]: 625 [2] , given: 116

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: If the Area of a Triangle ABC is given by the formula [#permalink] New post 15 Oct 2012, 10:16
This post received
KUDOS
a) Let the sides of the triangle be 1,sqrt(3),2, area = 0.5*1*sqrt(3) but according to formula, area = .25*(1+3) = .25*4. So A is wrong.

d) Let the sides of the triangle be 1,1 and sqrt(2), area = 0.5*1*1. According to formula, area = .25*(1+1) = 0.5. So answer is D

Did you find this post helpful?... Please let me know through the Kudos button.

Thanks To The Almighty - My GMAT Debrief

GMAT Reading Comprehension: 7 Most Common Passage Types

3 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 6 [3] , given: 33

Re: If the Area of a Triangle ABC is given by the formula [#permalink] New post 16 Oct 2012, 00:47
This post received
KUDOS
MacFauz wrote:
a) Let the sides of the triangle be 1,sqrt(3),2, area = 0.5*1*sqrt(3) but according to formula, area = .25*(1+3) = .25*4. So A is wrong.

d) Let the sides of the triangle be 1,1 and sqrt(2), area = 0.5*1*1. According to formula, area = .25*(1+1) = 0.5. So answer is D

Kudos for you !! Cheers :-D
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 4

Re: If the Area of a Triangle ABC is given by the formula [#permalink] New post 18 Dec 2012, 03:10
I did it in this way. Not able to figure out. I was able to rule out all the other options. How is it D?
Here is what i did.

Now the question says that two sides are a and b, it doesnt talk about the 3rd side. In case of option D
Case 1(a,b,c) here let a = b and c be the hypotenuse
ar = (1/2)base×height = (1/2)ab = (1/2)a²
area from the equation = (1/4)(a² + b²) = (1/4)(2a²) = (1/2)a²
both are equal

Case 2 (a,a,b)
so a² + a² = b² = 2a²
ar = (1/2)base×height = a²/2
ar from the equation = (1/4)(a² + b²) = (1/4)(a² + 2a²) = (3/4)a²
the above two are not equal.

Both the cases are contradicting
SVP
SVP
Followers: 165

Kudos [?]: 33 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: If the Area of a Triangle ABC is given by the formula [#permalink] New post 26 Dec 2013, 14:26
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

GMAT Books | GMAT Club Tests | Best Prices on GMAT Courses | GMAT Mobile App | Math Resources | Verbal Resources

Re: If the Area of a Triangle ABC is given by the formula   [#permalink] 26 Dec 2013, 14:26