Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Jul 2014, 04:21

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

if the equation |x|+ |y| = 5 encloses a certain region on

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:
CEO
CEO
User avatar
Joined: 21 Jan 2007
Posts: 2771
Location: New York City
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 193 [0], given: 4

GMAT Tests User
if the equation |x|+ |y| = 5 encloses a certain region on [#permalink] New post 09 Nov 2007, 09:50
1. if the equation |x|+ |y| = 5 encloses a certain region on the graph, what is the area of that region?





2. if the equation |2|+ |y| = 5 encloses a certain region on the graph, what is the maximum area of that region?



3. if the equation |2|+ |y| = 5 encloses a certain region on the graph, what is the minimum area of that region?





PLEASE EXPLAIN your answers.
Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 18 Jun 2007
Posts: 408
Location: Atlanta, GA
Schools: Emory class of 2010
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 33 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: area of an absolute equation [#permalink] New post 09 Nov 2007, 11:20
bmwhype2 wrote:
1. if the equation |x|+ |y| = 5 encloses a certain region on the graph, what is the area of that region?


This equation shows that max and min value for x or y are 5 and -5. With this, there are four points that will form a square on a graph. Thos points are (0,5),(5,0),(0,-5),(-5,0). From there, I just solved for the Area of the triangle formed in one quadrant and mulitiplied by 4.

Area(square) = 4(1/2)(5)(5) = 50


bmwhype2 wrote:
2. if the equation |2|+ |y| = 5 encloses a certain region on the graph, what is the maximum area of that region?



3. if the equation |2|+ |y| = 5 encloses a certain region on the graph, what is the minimum area of that region?


I don't think this is the right equation.
CEO
CEO
User avatar
Joined: 21 Jan 2007
Posts: 2771
Location: New York City
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 193 [0], given: 4

GMAT Tests User
Re: area of an absolute equation [#permalink] New post 09 Nov 2007, 11:30
emoryhopeful wrote:
bmwhype2 wrote:
1. if the equation |x|+ |y| = 5 encloses a certain region on the graph, what is the area of that region?


This equation shows that max and min value for x or y are 5 and -5. With this, there are four points that will form a square on a graph. Thos points are (0,5),(5,0),(0,-5),(-5,0). From there, I just solved for the Area of the triangle formed in one quadrant and mulitiplied by 4.

Area(square) = 4(1/2)(5)(5) = 50


bmwhype2 wrote:
2. if the equation |2|+ |y| = 5 encloses a certain region on the graph, what is the maximum area of that region?



3. if the equation |2|+ |y| = 5 encloses a certain region on the graph, what is the minimum area of that region?


I don't think this is the right equation.


i made the last two up. they are solveable. It's infinity.
Re: area of an absolute equation   [#permalink] 09 Nov 2007, 11:30
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
If equation |x|+|y|= 5 encloses a certain region on the dzelkas 4 05 Jun 2008, 16:45
1 If equation |x| + |y| = 5 encloses a certain region on the suntaurian 8 08 Mar 2008, 12:18
1 Experts publish their posts in the topic If equation |x| + |y| = 5 encloses a certain region on the dominion 7 17 Jan 2008, 23:38
Experts publish their posts in the topic If the equation |x| + |y| = 5 encloses a certain region on GK_Gmat 4 20 Nov 2007, 21:09
Equation |x| + |y| = 5 encloses a certain region on the ggarr 9 17 Feb 2007, 14:04
Display posts from previous: Sort by

if the equation |x|+ |y| = 5 encloses a certain region on

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.