Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Oct 2014, 05:27

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

If the forest continues to disappear at its present pace,

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

If the forest continues to disappear at its present pace, [#permalink] New post 29 Dec 2004, 17:13
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 0 sessions
“If the forest continues to disappear at its present pace, the koala will approach extinction,â€
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 29 Dec 2004, 17:39
i'm thinking about D.

A) goes along both claims => not correct we need biologist claim, but not politician.
B) violates both claims
C) irrelevant nothing is mentioned of reforestation.
D) ok since slowing down deforestation helps the coala [claim 1], but this is not the same as stoping deforestation [claim 2 is violated]
E) violates claim 1

therefore answer D.

where did you get this quesiton from. post the source, pls ;]] those are good :beer
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 30 Dec 2004, 08:01
B? can someone explain the logic here
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 30 Dec 2004, 10:41
Not B, after rereading it. I notice that Deforestation and Stopped is misleading folks about the true meaning of option B.
Definitely not B.

OA pls.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

[#permalink] New post 30 Dec 2004, 13:25
hey folaa3 did you get the file i sent you??
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 30 Dec 2004, 14:23
Folaa3 wrote:
Not B, after rereading it. I notice that Deforestation and Stopped is misleading folks about the true meaning of option B.
Definitely not B.

OA pls.

Got it. by stopping, the action also includes slowing the process down. Very good and thanks.
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 30 Dec 2004, 14:37
kayser`soze wrote:
hey folaa3 did you get the file i sent you??

Yes i just got it. Thanks Kayser
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 31 Dec 2004, 11:23
Hi everyone, thanks for your answers....

actually the OA is B,

i stuck between B and D.... IMO both of them are consistent with the biologist’s claim but not with the politician’s claim .... so, i'm not convinced yet..... :? :? :?

i found a discussion here too,

http://www.gmatclub.com/phpbb/viewtopic ... +disappear

any other opinion pls.....
Director
Director
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 31 Dec 2004, 18:30
gmatpipo, I dont see how D contradicts what the politician is saying.

Deforestation is the process of clearing of forests. The politician is saying that if we stop the process we may be able to save the Koala.

D: Deforestation is slowed and the koala survives - Basically says that the process of clearing of forests has slowed down and so there are still enough forests that they have not become extinct YET.

It actually agrees with the politician's train of thought.

B on the other hand says that though the process of clearing the forests has stopped the Koala has become extinct, it is contradictory to the politician's belief.
Director
Director

[#permalink] New post 31 Dec 2004, 20:42
gayathri, The politician's claim is to stop deforestation while the biologist's claim is to slow the process of deforestation, so 'B' does not contradict the politician's claim.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

[#permalink] New post 31 Dec 2004, 21:18
i can see know why B is the answer. i was split between B and D.

HAPPY NEW YEARZ 2005 EVERYBODY!!!

:band :beer :wave

kayser
Director
Director

[#permalink] New post 01 Jan 2005, 15:31
rthothad wrote:
gayathri, The politician's claim is to stop deforestation while the biologist's claim is to slow the process of deforestation, so 'B' does not contradict the politician's claim.

rthothad, I am not sure I agree with your reasoning. It does not say anywhere that the biologist wants to slow the process of deforestation. All that he is saying is that deforestation is bad for the koalas survival.
Director
Director

[#permalink] New post 01 Jan 2005, 19:11
gayathri wrote:
rthothad wrote:

rthothad, I am not sure I agree with your reasoning. It does not say anywhere that the biologist wants to slow the process of deforestation. All that he is saying is that deforestation is bad for the koalas survival.

gayathri, The biologist's argument reads that "If the forest continues to disappear at its present pace, the koala will approach extinction", so the biologist is in favor of slowing the process of deforestation
Director
Director

[#permalink] New post 01 Jan 2005, 19:33
rthothad wrote:
gayathri, The biologist's argument reads that "If the forest continues to disappear at its present pace, the koala will approach extinction", so the biologist is in favor of slowing the process of deforestation

Why do you specifically say "slowing" dont you think he would be happier if it were completely stopped and ecstatic if reforestation is done?

I think you are thinking outside the box on this one... Since its not stated, for all we know, it could just be a neutral observation that the biologist is making.
Director
Director

[#permalink] New post 01 Jan 2005, 19:37
gayathri wrote:
rthothad wrote:

Why do you specifically say "slowing" dont you think he would be happier if it were completely stopped and ecstatic if reforestation is done?

I think you are thinking outside the box on this one... Since its not stated, for all we know, it could just be a neutral observation that the biologist is making.

Becos I think the emphasis is on "disappear at its present pace"
  [#permalink] 01 Jan 2005, 19:37