Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Aug 2014, 02:46

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

If the forest continues to disappear at its present pace,

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 20 Nov 2007, 12:58
I doubt that this question is in OG 10...at least not in the one I have ....
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Director
Director
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 36 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR- Deforestation [#permalink] New post 20 Nov 2007, 13:12
GMATBLACKBELT wrote:
If the forest continues to disappear at its present pace, the koala will approach extinction, said the biologist.
So all that is needed to save the koala is to stop deforestation, said the politician.

Which one of the following statements is consistent with the biologists claim but not with the politicians claim?

A. Deforestation continues and the koala becomes extinct.
B. Deforestation is stopped and the koala becomes extinct.
C. Reforestation begins and the koala survives.
D. Deforestation is slowed and the koala survives.
E. Deforestation is slowed and the koala approaches extinction.

I think this is a really poor question. But maybe im just tired and mad that i didnt get it right.

B. Deforestation is stopped and the koala becomes extinct.

Biologist: If the forest continues to disappear at its present pace, the koala will approach extinction.

the deforestation could have been stopped, but its too late so Kolla became extinct.

Politician: So all that is needed to save the koala is to stop deforestation.

What he/she is saying "if deforestation is stopped, the extinction of kolla will be stopped". But the result is "deforestation is stopped and the koala becomes extinct". so it is just opposit of/ inconsistent to the politician's claim.
SVP
SVP
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 191 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 20 Nov 2007, 13:17
it makes sense why b is correct. it says in the argument that if the forrests conitnue to disappear at its present pace, then the aninal will approach extinction. the "at its present pace" is what is making the difference here. A would be correct if this phrase was not there. we don't know whether the "present pace" is slow or fast. we don't even know what rate is considered safe. but one thing we do know is that the rate will either speed up extinction or delay it. either way, extinction is bound to happen.

makes sense?
SVP
SVP
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 191 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 21 Nov 2007, 02:42
the trick here is that when we read this argument and see "present pace," we naturally tend to assume that this pace must be fast. what if this pace means 1 tree ever 5 years? unless the argument specifies what pace is considered safe enough to save the animal from extinction, all we can infere from this argument is that the pace can either speed up or delay extinction, but not completely stops it.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 23 Nov 2007, 22:39
sztiwari wrote:
The politician says that Koala can be saved by stopping deforestation , D is the option which reflects that reducing it can help in saving Koals.

I am doing OG10 and am almost a 100% sure that I saw it there. Let me check once am back home and will confirm the source .

Nah man, its not in the OG 10th Ed. Just went thru it. However, B does make sense.
Politician's claim - Stop (not slow) deforestation and this will result in preventing extinction of the koalas. X will lead to Y. Not really a flexible argument. Guaranteeing Y if X happens or another way to look at it would be to say that if X does not happen then Y possibly cannot happen. i.e. Inverse of the original.

check this out if you are confused about inverse statements:
http://www.regentsprep.org/Regents/math ... de=relcond

the important thing to remember is that the inverse statement "does not necessarily have the same truth value as the original conditional statement"

Biologist's claim - if the pace of deforestation continues, koalas will approach extinction. Does not say anything about what will happen if the pace slows. Guarantees nothing but saying that if pace continues, it will surely make the koalas extinct. Assumes other factors at play if pace does not continue. Less rigid of an argument.

B) Deforestation has stopped - according to the Politican, koalas should be saved..but they are not. Deforestation has stopped but the koalas still become extinct. consistent w/ the biologist's argument.
CEO
CEO
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 183 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 23 Nov 2007, 23:09
tarek99 wrote:
the trick here is that when we read this argument and see "present pace," we naturally tend to assume that this pace must be fast. what if this pace means 1 tree ever 5 years? unless the argument specifies what pace is considered safe enough to save the animal from extinction, all we can infere from this argument is that the pace can either speed up or delay extinction, but not completely stops it.

I agree, and this was my reasoning with the problem. However, I still think that this requires an additional step from the argument that would never exist in real GMAT CR's. I think this one is a bit ambigious to say the least.
  [#permalink] 23 Nov 2007, 23:09