Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 10:17 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 10:17

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618775 [3]
Given Kudos: 81587
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 439 [2]
Given Kudos: 118
Send PM
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1813 [2]
Given Kudos: 763
WE:Sales (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [0]
Given Kudos: 104
Concentration: Operations, General Management
GPA: 4
Send PM
If the government increases its funding for civilian scientific resear [#permalink]
Bunuel wrote:
If the government increases its funding for civilian scientific research, private patrons and industries will believe that such research has become primarily the government’s responsibility. When they believe that research is no longer primarily their responsibility, private patrons and industries will decrease their contributions toward research. Therefore, in order to keep from depressing the overall level of funding for civilian scientific research, the government should not increase its own funding.

Which one of the following is an assumption on which the argument relies?

(A) Governments should bear the majority of the financial burden of funding for civilian scientific research.

(B) Any increase in government funding would displace more private funding for civilian scientific research than it would provide.

(C) Private donations toward research are no longer welcomed by researchers whose work receives government funding.

(D) Civilian scientific research cannot be conducted efficiently with more than one source of funding.

(E) funding for civilian scientific research is currently at the highest possible level.

I was confused between B & E but I went with B, but I couldn't confidently eliminate E.

Can you please help here ? egmat MartyTargetTestPrep ScottTargetTestPrep KarishmaB GMATNinja
AndrewN
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64895 [2]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Re: If the government increases its funding for civilian scientific resear [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
Bunuel wrote:
If the government increases its funding for civilian scientific research, private patrons and industries will believe that such research has become primarily the government’s responsibility. When they believe that research is no longer primarily their responsibility, private patrons and industries will decrease their contributions toward research. Therefore, in order to keep from depressing the overall level of funding for civilian scientific research, the government should not increase its own funding.

(A) Governments should bear the majority of the financial burden of funding for civilian scientific research.

(B) Any increase in government funding would displace more private funding for civilian scientific research than it would provide.

(C) Private donations toward research are no longer welcomed by researchers whose work receives government funding.

(D) Civilian scientific research cannot be conducted efficiently with more than one source of funding.

(E) funding for civilian scientific research is currently at the highest possible level.

If Govt funds more, private will fund less.
We should not let the funding decrease.

Conclusion: The Govt should not increase its funding.

To conclude that if we want the funding to not decrease, we should not let the Govt increase its funding, what are we assuming? We are assuming that the Govt funding will increase by less and private funding will decrease by more. Otherwise, the conclusion does not make sense. Only if the Govt funding would be increased by less than the decrease in private funding would the overall funding decrease. And then we would be able to conclude that the Govt should not decrease its funding.
Hence, (B) is a necessary missing premise. So it is the assumption.

Not an assumption. In fact the author believes that privates should also fund.

What researchers welcome is irrelevant. We are just discussing what is available.

No. In fact, the argument promotes both sources.

The argument does not assume that funding is currently at the highest level. If privates were to increase their funding, the overall funding would increase and it would be consistent with the argument. The argument only talks about Govt not increasing its funding.

Answer (B)
Volunteer Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 6856 [2]
Given Kudos: 500
Re: If the government increases its funding for civilian scientific resear [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
AbhiR3 wrote:
Bunuel wrote:

I was confused between B & E but I went with B, but I couldn't confidently eliminate E.

Can you please help here ? egmat MartyTargetTestPrep ScottTargetTestPrep KarishmaB GMATNinja
AndrewN

Hello, AbhiR3. I think the analysis that Karishma supplied earlier is spot on. I will only add that when you see extreme language—e.g., always, never, cannot, must, or, here, highest possible—you have to ask yourself whether that extreme is justified based on the information in the passage. Most superlatives, comparative words that end in -st, are incorrect because they overstate the case, and that is just what we see in answer choice (E). Note that I am not urging you to go into autopilot whenever you see a superlative: sometimes such language is warranted, and the answer will be correct. Rather, I am cautioning you not to take an otherwise reasonable idea and, as GMAT Ninja might say, "take it for a run." Read closely, and stick to what the passage tells you.

Thank you for thinking to ask me about the question. Good luck with your studies.

- Andrew
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 558 [0]
Given Kudos: 248
GMAT 1: 660 Q48 V33 (Online)
GMAT 2: 700 Q49 V37
Send PM
If the government increases its funding for civilian scientific research, private patrons and industries will believe that such research has become primarily the government’s responsibility. When they believe that research is no longer primarily their responsibility, private patrons and industries will decrease their contributions toward research.

KarishmaB Vinit800HBS while I was reading the argument I believe I found a gap between the two groups - government and private patrons - w.r.t the term "primarily responsibility"

Reading the italics and bold part of the argument can we say that the argument is assuming that scientific research CANNOT be the primarily responsibility of both the government and private patrons and industries?
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64895 [1]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Hoozan wrote:
If the government increases its funding for civilian scientific research, private patrons and industries will believe that such research has become primarily the government’s responsibility. When they believe that research is no longer primarily their responsibility, private patrons and industries will decrease their contributions toward research.

KarishmaB Vinit800HBS while I was reading the argument I believe I found a gap between the two groups - government and private patrons - w.r.t the term "primarily responsibility"

Reading the italics and bold part of the argument can we say that the argument is assuming that scientific research CANNOT be the primarily responsibility of both the government and private patrons and industries?

"Primarily" means "mostly". Something can be the responsibility of 2 or more groups primarily if there are many other groups too. For example inculcating good habits in a child is primarily the responsibility of his teachers and parents (not, say friends and neighbours).

But here it is said that private patrons will assume that it is primarily the responsibility of the Govt now. The argument is not assuming this. We are given that the private patrons will assume that it is the Govt's responsibility. Besides they kind of cover the entire spectrum between them - patrons would be either Govt or private.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts