Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 30 Sep 2014, 20:16

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

If the integer n is greater than 1, is n equal to 2?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
2 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Affiliations: SPG
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 273 [2] , given: 20

If the integer n is greater than 1, is n equal to 2? [#permalink] New post 23 May 2010, 20:28
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

65% (hard)

Question Stats:

53% (01:44) correct 47% (00:52) wrong based on 325 sessions

(1) n has exactly two positive factors.
(2) The difference of any two distinct positive factors of n is odd.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

press kudos, if you like the explanation, appreciate the effort or encourage people to respond.

Download the Ultimate SC Flashcards

Last edited by Bunuel on 10 Apr 2012, 09:44, edited 2 times in total.
Edited the question and added the OA
Expert Post
4 KUDOS received
Math Expert
Followers: 3538

Kudos [?]: 27244 [4] , given: 2725

Re: is n equal to 2? [#permalink] New post 24 May 2010, 00:27
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
dimitri92 wrote:
(2) the difference of any two distinct positive factors of n is odd.

(1) Any prime satisfies this statement (2, 3, 5, ...), thus n may or may not equal to 2. Not sufficient.

(2) n has at least following factors: 1 and n (the number itself). As given that "the difference of any two distinct positive factors of n is odd", then must be true that: n-1=odd --> n=odd+1=even. Can n be even number more than 2? No, because if n=even>2 it obviously has 2 as a factor and again as "the difference of any two distinct positive factors of n is odd", then n-2 must be odd, but n-2=even-2=even\neq{odd}. Hence n=2. Sufficient.

OR: "the difference of any two distinct positive factors of n is odd" means that number must have only one odd factor and only one even factor. (If odd factors, (or even factors) >1, then the difference of the pair of two odd factors (or even factors) will be even not odd). Only number to have only one odd and only one even factor is 2. Sufficient.

Answer: B.

NEW TO MATH FORUM? PLEASE READ THIS: ALL YOU NEED FOR QUANT!!!

PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 11 Rules for Posting!!!

RESOURCES: [GMAT MATH BOOK]; 1. Triangles; 2. Polygons; 3. Coordinate Geometry; 4. Factorials; 5. Circles; 6. Number Theory; 7. Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets; 9. PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders; 11. GMAT Prep Software Analysis NEW!!!; 12. SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) NEW!!!; 12. Tricky questions from previous years. NEW!!!;

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS ; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

What are GMAT Club Tests?
25 extra-hard Quant Tests

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [1] , given: 0

Re: is n equal to 2? [#permalink] New post 24 May 2010, 17:31
This post received
KUDOS
Does two distinct factors mean that there are only two factors? If not, n can equal 20...5 and 4... 5-4=1. 1 is odd....

Oh..is it because if n=20, then 10 and 2 (which are also factors of 20) -- 10-2=8...even... not odd..

So does (2) mean that all factors of n that are different from each other, when subtracted, must be odd?

I don't have a solid understanding of the laws that would make this more concrete.
Expert Post
3 KUDOS received
Math Expert

Kudos [?]: 27244 [3] , given: 2725

Re: is n equal to 2? [#permalink] New post 25 May 2010, 02:54
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
melonchopper wrote:
Does two distinct factors mean that there are only two factors? If not, n can equal 20...5 and 4... 5-4=1. 1 is odd....

Oh..is it because if n=20, then 10 and 2 (which are also factors of 20) -- 10-2=8...even... not odd..

So does (2) mean that all factors of n that are different from each other, when subtracted, must be odd?

I don't have a solid understanding of the laws that would make this more concrete.

Statement (2): "the difference of ANY two distinct positive factors of n is odd", which means that when we pick ANY two distinct factors of n their difference must be odd.

So for n=20. Factors of n are: 1, 2, 4, 5, 10 and 20. 20-1=odd but 20-10=even, so n could not be 20.

Again: "the difference of ANY two distinct positive factors of n is odd" means that number must have only one odd factor and only one even factor. (If odd factors, (or even factors) >1, then the difference of the pair of two odd factors (or even factors) will be even not odd). Only number to have only one odd and only one even factor is 2.

Hope it's clear.

RESOURCES: [GMAT MATH BOOK]; 1. Triangles; 2. Polygons; 3. Coordinate Geometry; 4. Factorials; 5. Circles; 6. Number Theory; 7. Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets; 9. PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders; 11. GMAT Prep Software Analysis NEW!!!; 12. SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) NEW!!!; 12. Tricky questions from previous years. NEW!!!;

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS ; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 107 [0], given: 13

Reviews Badge
Re: is n equal to 2? [#permalink] New post 05 Jun 2010, 03:27
Bunuel wrote:
dimitri92 wrote:

(1) Any prime satisfies this statement (2, 3, 5, ...), thus n may or may not equal to 2. Not sufficient.

Bunuel, I have a doubt regarding statement 1. Can \sqrt{2} be a factor here? If so then statement 1 is sufficient to say that n is not equal to 2, because 2 has factors 1, \sqrt{2} and 2.

My debrief: done-and-dusted-730-q49-v40

Expert Post
Math Expert

Kudos [?]: 27244 [0], given: 2725

Re: is n equal to 2? [#permalink] New post 05 Jun 2010, 04:18
Expert's post
sidhu4u wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
dimitri92 wrote:

Bunuel, I have a doubt regarding statement 1. Can \sqrt{2} be a factor here? If so then statement 1 is sufficient to say that n is not equal to 2, because 2 has factors 1, \sqrt{2} and 2.

Factor of an integer n, is an integer which evenly divides n without leaving a remainder.

So \sqrt{2} is not a factor of any number.

Hope it helps.

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 107 [0], given: 13

Reviews Badge
Re: is n equal to 2? [#permalink] New post 05 Jun 2010, 06:35
Thanks Bunuel. Got it..

My debrief: done-and-dusted-730-q49-v40

1 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
Status: 2000 posts! I don't know whether I should feel great or sad about it! LOL
Schools: Harvard, Stanford, Wharton, MIT & HKS (Government)
WE 1: Economic research
WE 2: Banking
WE 3: Government: Foreign Trade and SMEs
Followers: 66

Kudos [?]: 311 [1] , given: 109

Re: If the integer n is greater than 1 is n equal to 2 ? [#permalink] New post 31 Jan 2012, 09:34
This post received
KUDOS
+1 B

Let's analyze statement (2):
The difference of any two distinct positive factors of n is odd.
Thisn means that any pair of factors of n is compound by an even number and an odd number.
This also means that n is a prime number. Why? Because if n had more than two factors, the difference of at least one pair of factors would be even. For example, if there were an additional odd number, there would be a pair of numbers whose difference would be even.
So, if n is a prime number whose has an odd factor and a even factor, then we are talking about the number 2.

ANSWER: B

I think I deserve kudos 8-)

"Life’s battle doesn’t always go to stronger or faster men; but sooner or later the man who wins is the one who thinks he can."

My Integrated Reasoning Logbook / Diary: my-ir-logbook-diary-133264.html

Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 17

Re: If the integer n is greater than 1, is n equal to 2? (1) n [#permalink] New post 17 Mar 2012, 04:39
Hello Bunuel, Following the last post, I have the same doubt. Basically, if for example if I take number n = 6, then its two distinct factors 3 and 2 or factors 6 and 1 has the difference as odd... so n not equal to 2... can you please explain where am I wrong?
Expert Post
Math Expert

Re: If the integer n is greater than 1, is n equal to 2? (1) n [#permalink] New post 17 Mar 2012, 05:30
Expert's post
pavanpuneet wrote:
Hello Bunuel, Following the last post, I have the same doubt. Basically, if for example if I take number n = 6, then its two distinct factors 3 and 2 or factors 6 and 1 has the difference as odd... so n not equal to 2... can you please explain where am I wrong?

The difference of ANY two distinct positive factors of n is odd: if n=6 then 6-2=4=even, hence n cannot be 6, or any other number but 2.

Hope it's clear.

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:

Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 3

Is n = 2? [#permalink] New post 29 Apr 2012, 21:10
(1) n has exactly two positive factors
(2) The difference between any two distinct positive factors is odd.

I just have one question related to wording of option (2). Should it mention as two distinct prime factors instead of two distinct positive factors?

Please provide answer with explanation.
Expert Post
Math Expert

Re: Is n = 2? [#permalink] New post 29 Apr 2012, 22:13
Expert's post
amp0201 wrote:
(1) n has exactly two positive factors
(2) The difference between any two distinct positive factors is odd.

I just have one question related to wording of option (2). Should it mention as two distinct prime factors instead of two distinct positive factors?

Please provide answer with explanation.

Merging similar topics. Please ask if anything remains unclear.

P.S. The wording of the second statement is correct.

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 8

Re: If the integer n is greater than 1, is n equal to 2? [#permalink] New post 01 May 2012, 02:11
Very good approach.

Director
Director
GMAT 1: 640 Q43 V34
GMAT 2: 630 Q47 V29
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 562

Re: If the integer n is greater than 1, is n equal to 2? [#permalink] New post 19 Oct 2012, 22:43
Sir Bunuel,
I have a doubt here with regards to strategy:

(1) says : n has exactly two positive factors
This means that n is a prime no

(2) says: The difference between any two distinct positive factors is odd.

Now to plug in numbers to check the sufficiency of (2) , I didn't chose non prime numbers because (1) and (2) can never contradict each other.
So choosing 6,8 , 10 or any non prime no is basically stupidity. What do you say?

Regards,
Sach

hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things. And no good thing ever dies.

Who says you need a 700 ?Check this out : http://gmatclub.com/forum/who-says-you-need-a-149706.html#p1201595

My GMAT Journey : end-of-my-gmat-journey-149328.html#p1197992

Expert Post
Math Expert

Re: If the integer n is greater than 1, is n equal to 2? [#permalink] New post 23 Oct 2012, 06:27
Expert's post
sachindia wrote:
Sir Bunuel,

Now to plug in numbers to check the sufficiency of (2) , I didn't chose non prime numbers because (1) and (2) can never contradict each other.
So choosing 6,8 , 10 or any non prime no is basically stupidity. What do you say?

Regards,
Sach

Yes, the statements in DS questions never contradict each other but your logic for testing numbers is not correct. Consider example below:

Is n=2?

(1) n is prime
(2) n is even

Now, if you test only even primes for the second statement you'll have that n could only be 2, since 2 is the only even prime. Therefore you'll get that (2) is sufficient, which is not.

Hope it's clear.

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:

Director
Director
GMAT 1: 640 Q43 V34
GMAT 2: 630 Q47 V29
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 562

Re: If the integer n is greater than 1, is n equal to 2? [#permalink] New post 26 Oct 2012, 05:07
Bunuel wrote:
sachindia wrote:
Sir Bunuel,

Regards,
Sach

Yes, the statements in DS questions never contradict each other but your logic for testing numbers is not correct. Consider example below:

Is n=2?

(1) n is prime
(2) n is even

Now, if you test only even primes for the second statement you'll have that n could only be 2, since 2 is the only even prime. Therefore you'll get that (2) is sufficient, which is not.

Hope it's clear.

Its not clear.
From what I understand
So if the 2 statements don;t contradict each other, I shuold still test numbers considering B as an individual statement without have any bearing of A.
Please confirm if my understnading is right.

hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things. And no good thing ever dies.

Who says you need a 700 ?Check this out : http://gmatclub.com/forum/who-says-you-need-a-149706.html#p1201595

My GMAT Journey : end-of-my-gmat-journey-149328.html#p1197992

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 39

Re: If the integer n is greater than 1, is n equal to 2? [#permalink] New post 26 Feb 2013, 02:07
not easy at all, I want to follow.
Expert Post
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Followers: 42

Kudos [?]: 582 [0], given: 135

Premium Member
Re: If the integer n is greater than 1, is n equal to 2? [#permalink] New post 26 Feb 2013, 04:29
Expert's post
dimitri92 wrote:

(2) The difference of any two distinct positive factors of n is odd.

From F.S 1, we have that n has only two positive factors. Including the number itself and 1, this can only be a prime. Thus not sufficient as n can be any prime number.

From F.S 2, we have that the difference of any two positive factors is odd. We know that odd-even/even-odd = odd. So we know that "n" has at-least 2 factors , one of which is odd and one is even. Now we don't know whether this integer has only two factors. Say it has 3 factors. The third factor will either be odd or even. Now the presence of the statement any two distinct positive factors makes it essential that any two factors when subtracted give an odd integer. This will not be possible if we have any more factors than an odd factor and an even factor. Thus the number can only have only two factors, one odd and one even. This means the integer can only be 2. Thus, sufficient.

B.

All that is equal and not-Deep Dive In-equality

Hit and Trial for Integral Solutions

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
Followers: 1132

Kudos [?]: 5171 [1] , given: 164

Re: If the integer n is greater than 1, is n equal to 2? [#permalink] New post 26 Feb 2013, 19:40
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Sachin9 wrote:
Its not clear.
From what I understand
So if the 2 statements don;t contradict each other, I shuold still test numbers considering B as an individual statement without have any bearing of A.
Please confirm if my understnading is right.

Yes. The two statements cannot contradict each other. But when analyzing one statement, you should as good as forget the previous one. (In some cases, one statement can give you an idea of what numbers you should try and hence be helpful but you will need to try others as well)

Take a simple example:

Is n divisible by 6?

1. n is even
2. n is a multiple of 3

When you try out statement 1, say, you try out 3 numbers: 2, 4, 6. You say 2 and 4 are not divisible by 6 but 6 is. So not sufficient.

When you try out statement 2, will you try only even multiples of 3? No. You will try all multiples of 3. 3 is not divisible by 6 but 6 is. Not sufficient. If you try only even multiples of 3, you will see that all even multiples of 3 are divisible by 6. So your answer will be 'sufficient'. But mind you, here you have used both statements together hence you will mark (C). So in essence, you did not analyze statement 2 alone at all. Answer could have been (B), we will never know (in the actual test!).

Hence, when analyzing each statement, do not look at the data of the other one. In fact, as far as possible, I try to re-read the question stem between the two statements to remind me of exactly what I have to consider and to help me forget the data I have already considered (else you might use it sub-consciously) Sometimes, one statement helps you cheat by giving you ideas of numbers you should try in addition to others, that's all.

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 12

Re: is n equal to 2? [#permalink] New post 10 Sep 2013, 02:15
Bunuel wrote:
dimitri92 wrote:

(2) n has at least following factors: 1 and n (the number itself). As given that "the difference of any two distinct positive factors of n is odd", then must be true that: n-1=odd --> n=odd+1=even. Can n be even number more than 2? No, because if n=even>2 it obviously has 2 as a factor and again as "the difference of any two distinct positive factors of n is odd", then n-2 must be odd, but n-2=even-2=even\neq{odd}. Hence n=2. Sufficient.

OR: "the difference of any two distinct positive factors of n is odd" means that number must have only one odd factor and only one even factor. (If odd factors, (or even factors) >1, then the difference of the pair of two odd factors (or even factors) will be even not odd). Only number to have only one odd and only one even factor is 2. Sufficient.

Answer: B.

Maybe a silly doubt...When you say a number has 2 factors or 4 factors..is 1 also included in it?I usually exclude 1 when counting factors..pls cllarify..
Re: is n equal to 2?   [#permalink] 10 Sep 2013, 02:15