Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 19 Aug 2014, 21:13

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

If the operation @ is defined for all integers a and b

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
2 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 7 [2] , given: 1

If the operation @ is defined for all integers a and b [#permalink] New post 18 Sep 2010, 19:16
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

45% (medium)

Question Stats:

57% (01:54) correct 43% (01:04) wrong based on 384 sessions
If the operation @ is defined for all integers a and b by a@b=a+b-ab, which of the following statements must be true for all integers a, b and c?

I. a@b = b@a
II. a@0 = a
III. (a@b)@c = a@(b@c)

(A) I only
(B) II only
(C) I and II only
(D) I and III only
(E) I, II and III
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
Expert Post
4 KUDOS received
Math Expert
Followers: 3358

Kudos [?]: 24327 [4] , given: 2676

Re: If the operation @ is defined for all integers a and b [#permalink] New post 18 Sep 2010, 19:29
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
cmugeria wrote:
If the operation @ is defined for all integers a and b by a@b=a+b-ab, which of the following statements must be true for all integers a, b and c?

I. a@b = b@a
II. a@0 = a
III. (a@b)@c = a@(b@c)

(A) I only
(B) II only
(C) I and II only
(D) I and III only
(E) I, II and III

We have that: a@b=a+b-ab

I. a@b = b@a --> a@b=a+b-ab and b@a=b+a-ab --> a+b-ab=b+a-ab, results match;

II. a@0 = a --> a@0=a+0-a*0=0 --> 0=0, results match;

III. (a@b)@c = a@(b@c) --> (a@b)@c=a@b+c-(a@b)*c=(a+b-ab)+c-(a+b-ab)c=a+b+c-ab-ac-bc+abc and a@(b@c)=a+b@c-a*(b@c)=a+(b+c-bc)-(b+c-bc)a=a+b+c-bc-ab+abc, results match.

Answer: E.

NEW TO MATH FORUM? PLEASE READ THIS: ALL YOU NEED FOR QUANT!!!

PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 11 Rules for Posting!!!

RESOURCES: [GMAT MATH BOOK]; 1. Triangles; 2. Polygons; 3. Coordinate Geometry; 4. Factorials; 5. Circles; 6. Number Theory; 7. Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets; 9. PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders; 11. GMAT Prep Software Analysis NEW!!!; 12. SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) NEW!!!; 12. Tricky questions from previous years. NEW!!!;

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS ; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

What are GMAT Club Tests?
25 extra-hard Quant Tests

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

SVP
SVP
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
Followers: 30

Kudos [?]: 285 [0], given: 36

GMAT Tests User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: If the operation @ is defined for all integers a and b [#permalink] New post 19 Apr 2011, 18:25
(I) and (II) are obviously correct.

For (III)

(a+b-ab)@c = (a + b - ab)@c = a + b - ab + c - c(a + b - ab) = a + b - ab + c - ac - ab + abc

a@(b@c) = a@(b + c - bc) = a + b + c - bc - a(b + c - bc) = a + b + c - bc -ab - ac + abc

Answer - E

Formula of Life -> Achievement/Potential = k * Happiness (where k is a constant)

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Technology, Leadership
GMAT 1: 570 Q45 V25
GPA: 4
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 20

Re: If the operation @ is defined for all integers a and b [#permalink] New post 15 Jan 2012, 16:17
I was careless in writing the equation for option 3, else it was easy. I got it wrong but once you write it you clearly see that C also satifies the equation.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 70 [0], given: 26

GMAT Tests User
Re: If the operation @ is defined for all integers a and b [#permalink] New post 22 May 2012, 01:25
subhashghosh wrote:

For (III)

(a+b-ab)@c = (a + b - ab)@c = a + b - ab + c - c(a + b - ab) = a + b - ab + c - ac - ab + abc

a@(b@c) = a@(b + c - bc) = a + b + c - bc - a(b + c - bc) = a + b + c - bc -ab - ac + abc

Answer - E

small typo : ab should be bc , in the above post
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 1

Re: If the operation @ is defined for all integers a and b [#permalink] New post 22 May 2012, 02:09
E is the answer. It took some time to solve this but was able to slove faster when assuming values for a b and c.

Posted from my mobile device Image

Posted from my mobile device Image
Intern
Intern
Schools: Bocconi '15 (A)
GMAT 1: 720 Q47 V42
GPA: 3.87

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 4

Re: If the operation @ is defined for all integers a and b [#permalink] New post 18 Dec 2012, 07:45
Sorry for bumping up an old thread, I have a doubt: my approach for solving the question was to assume that the operation in this case was the union between two sets, a and b, and consequently the three points were the properties of the union of sets. Is that a correct approach or might it be too risky in the actual exam? (or is it even a wrong assumption, and I got it right out of luck?)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Marketing, Finance
GMAT 1: Q V0
GPA: 3.23
Followers: 14

Kudos [?]: 187 [0], given: 11

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: If the operation @ is defined for all integers a and b [#permalink] New post 18 Dec 2012, 20:29
I. a@b = b@a
a+b-ab=b+a-ab TRUE!

II. a@0 = a
a+0-0 = a TRUE!

III. (a@b)@c = a@(b@c)
a+b-ab+c-ac-bc+abc = b+c-bc + a - ab-ac+abc STRIKE OUT DUPLICATES ON RHS and LHS! TRUE!

Answer: I,II, and III or (E)

Impossible is nothing to God.

Expert Post
Math Expert
Followers: 3358

Kudos [?]: 24327 [0], given: 2676

Re: If the operation @ is defined for all integers a and b [#permalink] New post 19 Dec 2012, 02:24
Expert's post
fguardini1 wrote:
Sorry for bumping up an old thread, I have a doubt: my approach for solving the question was to assume that the operation in this case was the union between two sets, a and b, and consequently the three points were the properties of the union of sets. Is that a correct approach or might it be too risky in the actual exam? (or is it even a wrong assumption, and I got it right out of luck?)

That's not correct. Stem defines some function @ for all integers a and b by a@b=a+b-ab. For example if a=1 and b=2, then a@b=1@2=1+2-1*2.

Hope it's clear.

NEW TO MATH FORUM? PLEASE READ THIS: ALL YOU NEED FOR QUANT!!!

PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 11 Rules for Posting!!!

RESOURCES: [GMAT MATH BOOK]; 1. Triangles; 2. Polygons; 3. Coordinate Geometry; 4. Factorials; 5. Circles; 6. Number Theory; 7. Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets; 9. PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders; 11. GMAT Prep Software Analysis NEW!!!; 12. SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) NEW!!!; 12. Tricky questions from previous years. NEW!!!;

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS ; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

What are GMAT Club Tests?
25 extra-hard Quant Tests

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 32

Re: If the operation @ is defined for all integers a and b [#permalink] New post 04 Jan 2013, 10:47
in equ. 3 :

I put three random numbers like (5,3,2) and tested it. however there's always a little chance of error.
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Marketing
GMAT Date: 01-30-2013
GPA: 3.5

Kudos [?]: 6 [1] , given: 5

Re: If the operation @ is defined for all integers a and b [#permalink] New post 28 Jan 2013, 21:58
This post received
KUDOS
subhashghosh wrote:

For (III)

Answer - E

Been looking at this for a while and still can't figure it out.. I thought that we must ALWAYS first do the calculations in the brackets and open them, and then do the remaining calculations. as we have a@(b@c), how come do you straight come up to (a + b - ab)@c, when it's b@c in the brackets, not a@b anymore.. finding this one a bit confusing.. thanks for explaining in advance :)

EDIT:

OK, I think I get it now.. pls, have a look at my upload and let me know if I am correct.. this is the left side of the equation in (III). With the right one, we do the exact same thing, right?
Attachments

a@b.jpg
a@b.jpg [ 861.06 KiB | Viewed 9514 times ]

Manager
Manager
Schools: HBS '16, Stanford '16

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 16

Re: If the operation @ is defined for all integers a and b [#permalink] New post 07 May 2013, 11:22
Bunuel wrote:

III. (a@b)@c = a@(b@c) --> (a@b)@c=a@b+c-(a@b)*c=(a+b-ab)+c-(a+b-ab)c=a+b+c-ab-ac-bc+abc and a@(b@c)=a+b@c-a*(b@c)=a+(b+c-bc)-(b+c-bc)a=a+b+c-bc-ab+abc, results match.

Bunuel, is there a faster method than solving it with algebra or picking numbers?
Thanks!
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 670 Q39 V41
GMAT 2: 730 Q49 V41
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 32 [1] , given: 40

Re: If the operation @ is defined for all integers a and b [#permalink] New post 02 Oct 2013, 12:21
This post received
KUDOS
danzig wrote:
Bunuel wrote:

Bunuel, is there a faster method than solving it with algebra or picking numbers?
Thanks!

Came here to ask this. I got this one wrong, the proof for III would have taken about 5 minutes for me to figure out
SVP
SVP
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V39
WE: Corporate Finance (Investment Banking)
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 152 [0], given: 254

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: If the operation @ is defined for all integers a and b [#permalink] New post 23 Oct 2013, 12:34
Hey there folks, sorry to bump on an old thread. Just wondering, is there a way to evaluate statement 3 faster?
I believe this questions takes around 2 minutes and evaluating statement 3 takes a lot of work and is prone to errors.

Just wondering if I'm doing this the correct/most efficient way

Thanks guys
Cheers!

J :)
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Real Estate, Finance
GMAT 1: 660 Q V
GPA: 3.73
WE: Analyst (Real Estate)

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 2

Re: If the operation @ is defined for all integers a and b [#permalink] New post 27 Oct 2013, 13:13
Would it be smart to pick numbers for each of the variables? I selected 1&3 only since I got mixed up with the letter variables. Is picking number the most efficient way to approach this problem?
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 9 [1] , given: 0

Re: If the operation @ is defined for all integers a and b [#permalink] New post 28 Oct 2013, 11:40
This post received
KUDOS
jlgdr wrote:
Hey there folks, sorry to bump on an old thread. Just wondering, is there a way to evaluate statement 3 faster?
I believe this questions takes around 2 minutes and evaluating statement 3 takes a lot of work and is prone to errors.

Just wondering if I'm doing this the correct/most efficient way

Thanks guys
Cheers!

In this problem we have been asked to check the commutative and associative property of the given function. These properties are defined as below:

Commutative: In mathematics, a binary operation is commutative if changing the order of the operands does not change the result.

Associative: Within an expression containing two or more occurrences in a row of the same associative operator, the order in which the operations are performed does not matter as long as the sequence of the operands is not changed. That is, rearranging the parentheses in such an expression will not change its value.

If you're wondering if commutativity implies associativity in mathematics then the answer is NO. However, for simple addition and multiplication functions commutativity does imply associativity and hence in such cases option 3 need not be tested if option 1 is true. However, the only way to solve such problems which involve functions other than simple addition and multiplication would be to solve the expression completely as stated above.
SVP
SVP
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V39
WE: Corporate Finance (Investment Banking)

Kudos [?]: 152 [0], given: 254

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: If the operation @ is defined for all integers a and b [#permalink] New post 31 Oct 2013, 04:39
Well, can't argue that learning the definitions is in fact quite interesting and thank you for that.
Nevertheless, I was really intereted in solving statement 3 quicker/faster/more efficient
So, being able to recognize if operations in the different order given will yield same result without having to go through all the long distribution process.

I will try to come up with a faster way but if anyone else come's up with a nice and elegant approach I'd be happy to give some nice Kudos for the collection

Cheers
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 246 [0], given: 543

Re: If the operation @ is defined for all integers a and b [#permalink] New post 31 Oct 2013, 04:55
jlgdr wrote:
Well, can't argue that learning the definitions is in fact quite interesting and thank you for that.
Nevertheless, I was really intereted in solving statement 3 quicker/faster/more efficient
So, being able to recognize if operations in the different order given will yield same result without having to go through all the long distribution process.

I will try to come up with a faster way but if anyone else come's up with a nice and elegant approach I'd be happy to give some nice Kudos for the collection

Cheers

You can always test values that's an alternative

Let a=1,b=2 and c=3

Definition => a@b=a+b-ab

Option 3

III. (a@b)@c = a@(b@c)

a@b = 1 + 2 -2 = 1
1@3 = 1+3 -3 = 1

B@c = 2@3 = 5-6 = -1
1@-1 = 1 - 1 - ( -1 * 1)
=1

LHS = RHS

Click +1 Kudos if my post helped...

Amazing Free video explanation for all Quant questions from OG 13 and much more http://www.gmatquantum.com/og13th/

GMAT Prep software What if scenarios gmat-prep-software-analysis-and-what-if-scenarios-146146.html

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 1470

CAT Tests
Re: If the operation @ is defined for all integers a and b [#permalink] New post 01 Mar 2014, 15:08
Just took this question today, and I was also wondering if there were a way to solve it more quickly than performing the heavy manipulations that are in III or guessing numbers.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 6

Re: If the operation @ is defined for all integers a and b [#permalink] New post 13 Jul 2014, 21:50
Bunuel wrote:
cmugeria wrote:

I. a@b = b@a
II. a@0 = a
III. (a@b)@c = a@(b@c)

(A) I only
(B) II only
(C) I and II only
(D) I and III only
(E) I, II and III

Hi Bunuel,

Here in second statement how you are getting 0=0?

Thanks.
Re: If the operation @ is defined for all integers a and b   [#permalink] 13 Jul 2014, 21:50