Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 12 Jul 2014, 22:21

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

If the perimeter of rectangle Q - Confused about simple Q

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Sustainability, General Management
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
GPA: 3.98
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 11

If the perimeter of rectangle Q - Confused about simple Q [#permalink] New post 19 Nov 2011, 12:28
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

5% (low)

Question Stats:

88% (01:27) correct 11% (01:51) wrong based on 18 sessions
This is from the OG12, but I am confused about something:

48. If p is the perimeter of rectangle Q, what is the value of p ?

(1) Each diagonal of rectangle Q has length 10.
(2) The area of rectangle Q is 48.

Now, the obvious choice is
[Reveal] Spoiler:
C
, but I figured that is the trap answer and I guessed
[Reveal] Spoiler:
A
. Isn't it true that the hypotenuse of a right angled triangle, if 10, will have sides 6-8? Or is this not always the case? I know that if the triangle is not Right angled, then it is not the case;

but here: if the diagonal is 10, and since it is a rectangle, the 2 sides should be 6-8 and thus we can find the perimeter. Of course this is the same answer that you get by substituting values and using 2).

But OA says that we cannot know the sides from 1) or 2) and thus we need 1) and 2).

Some explanation please.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Director
Director
Concentration: International Business, General Management
GPA: 3.86
WE: Accounting (Commercial Banking)

Kudos [?]: 34 [0], given: 16

GMAT Tests User
Re: If the perimeter of rectangle Q - Confused about simple Q [#permalink] New post 19 Nov 2011, 12:38
+1 C

from 1 we only know about the diagonal lenght and e do not get any information of sided so 1 not sufficient,

From two we know area 2*l*b=48 but l and b can have various values i.e for example 8*6 or12*4 so we cannot get exact values of l and B so 2 not sufficient

Now combining 1 and 2 we get area and diagonal i.e hypotenuse so now solving

we now know that diagonal which has lenght=10 and with two sides of the rectangle form a right angled triangle, and so when you consider above l or B values it only satifies for 8 and 6 or 6 and 8 as 6-8-10 form a right angle traingle, and now we know l and B values so you can find perimeter which is 2(l+B)

Hope this clarifies :)

+1 Kudos If found helpful..

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Sustainability, General Management
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
GPA: 3.98

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 11

Re: If the perimeter of rectangle Q - Confused about simple Q [#permalink] New post 19 Nov 2011, 12:57
kotela wrote:
+1 C

from 1 we only know about the diagonal lenght and e do not get any information of sided so 1 not sufficient,

From two we know area 2*l*b=48 but l and b can have various values i.e for example 8*6 or12*4 so we cannot get exact values of l and B so 2 not sufficient

Now combining 1 and 2 we get area and diagonal i.e hypotenuse so now solving

we now know that diagonal which has lenght=10 and with two sides of the rectangle form a right angled triangle, and so when you consider above l or B values it only satifies for 8 and 6 or 6 and 8 as 6-8-10 form a right angle traingle, and now we know l and B values so you can find perimeter which is 2(l+B)

Hope this clarifies :)

Thanks. I understand how to solve it.

My question was simply that, if a right angled triangle is given with a hypotenuse 5 or 10 for instance; can we not automatically assume that it is a 3-4-5 or a 6-8-10 triangle? I suppose you can make fractional values to satisfy this.

Nevermind, I just realized my mistake. I was doing another difficult question earlier where I came across a situation like this, but it was on a coordinate plane, and each value "HAD" to be an integer. Hence with a hypotenuse of 10, the only values for the 2 sides could have been 6 and 8. But I suppose if the integer condition is not specified, then the 2 sides of the right triangle can take any values.

Ok, yea the answer is fine as given. Doh!
Director
Director
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 82 [0], given: 33

Re: If the perimeter of rectangle Q - Confused about simple Q [#permalink] New post 20 Nov 2011, 00:51
alinomoto wrote:
This is from the OG12, but I am confused about something:

48. If p is the perimeter of rectangle Q, what is the value of p ?

(1) Each diagonal of rectangle Q has length 10.
(2) The area of rectangle Q is 48.

Now, the obvious choice is
[Reveal] Spoiler:
C
, but I figured that is the trap answer and I guessed
[Reveal] Spoiler:
A
. Isn't it true that the hypotenuse of a right angled triangle, if 10, will have sides 6-8? Or is this not always the case? I know that if the triangle is not Right angled, then it is not the case;

but here: if the diagonal is 10, and since it is a rectangle, the 2 sides should be 6-8 and thus we can find the perimeter. Of course this is the same answer that you get by substituting values and using 2).

But OA says that we cannot know the sides from 1) or 2) and thus we need 1) and 2).

Some explanation please.

Given:
2*(l+b)=p
S1: l^2+b^2=10^2 (Pythagoras theorem) With this, we can't even solve l and b, so no chance of getting the p.

S2:l*b=48. With this, we can't even solve l and b, so no chance of getting the p.

What we need to solve is p, which is

p=2*(l+b)
Note that (l+b)^2=l^2+b^2+2*l*b

Using S1 and S2:
(l+b)^2=10^2+2*48,
Thus (l+b) can be found.

Which means p can be found.

Therefore the answer should be "C"
Re: If the perimeter of rectangle Q - Confused about simple Q   [#permalink] 20 Nov 2011, 00:51