Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 18:37 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 18:37

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618603 [47]
Given Kudos: 81563
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64882 [21]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 711 [8]
Given Kudos: 84
Schools: IIMC (A)
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V38
GPA: 2.6
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
General Discussion
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11664 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Re: If the probability of rain on any given day in Chicago during the summ [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Hi All,

The most efficient way to answer this question is in understanding how the Combination Formula applies to the math involved. However, even if you don't fully understand that concept, you can still get to the correct answer with a bit of 'brute force.'

To start, you have to understand that since each day has two equally-likely outcomes ('rain' or 'not rain'), then the various arrangements of 5 days of weather = (2)(2)(2)(2)(2) = 32. Thus, the probability of having EXACTLY 3 rain days must be some fraction out of 32...

From this point, we just have to figure out how many options consist of just 3 rain days. We can 'map' those out rather easily...

RRRNN

RRNRN
RRNNR

RNRRN
RNRNR
RNNRR

NRRRN
NRRNR
NRNRR
NNRRR

10 total options out of 32. Reducing that fraction gives us... 10/32 = 5/16

Final Answer:

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 77 [0]
Given Kudos: 197
Send PM
Re: If the probability of rain on any given day in Chicago during the summ [#permalink]
VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:
Bunuel wrote:

Tough and Tricky questions: Combinations.

If the probability of rain on any given day in Chicago during the summer is 50%, independent of what happens on any other day, what is the probability of having exactly 3 rainy days from July 4 through July 8, inclusive?

(A) 1/32
(B) 2/25
(C) 5/16
(D) 8/25
(E) 3/4

Responding to a pm:

There are 5 days from July 4 to July 8 inclusive. You need the probability of 3 rainy and 2 non rainy days.

Method 1:
Probability = Favorable outcomes/Total outcomes

Total outcomes = 2*2*2*2*2 = 32
On each day, two things are possible - either it is rainy or non rainy. So the 5 days can happen in 2^5 = 32 ways e.g.
RRNNN, RNNNN, NNRNR, RRRRR etc

Favorable outcomes - 3 R days and 2 N days e.g.
RRRNN, RNRNR, RRNNR etc
In how many ways can you arrange 3 Rs and 2 Ns? 5!/3!*2! = 10

Probability = 10/32 = 5/16

Method 2:
Probability of rain = 1/2
Probability of no rain = 1/2

Probability of RRRNN = (1/2)*(1/2)*(1/2)*(1/2)*(1/2) = 1/32
But there are other combinations too such as RRNRN, NNRRR etc. There are 10 such combinations as calculated above (in bold).
So total probability of 3 Rs and 2 Ns = (1/32) * 10 = 5/16

Hi VeritasPrepKarishma, Bunuel

For someone who is particularly weak at Probability and Combinatorics, where would you recommend practice for ground work?
I have read through the theory but the application for under 700 Questions is what I need to work on.

thanks in anticipation.
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64882 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
Aditi10 wrote:
VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:
Bunuel wrote:

Tough and Tricky questions: Combinations.

If the probability of rain on any given day in Chicago during the summer is 50%, independent of what happens on any other day, what is the probability of having exactly 3 rainy days from July 4 through July 8, inclusive?

(A) 1/32
(B) 2/25
(C) 5/16
(D) 8/25
(E) 3/4

Responding to a pm:

There are 5 days from July 4 to July 8 inclusive. You need the probability of 3 rainy and 2 non rainy days.

Method 1:
Probability = Favorable outcomes/Total outcomes

Total outcomes = 2*2*2*2*2 = 32
On each day, two things are possible - either it is rainy or non rainy. So the 5 days can happen in 2^5 = 32 ways e.g.
RRNNN, RNNNN, NNRNR, RRRRR etc

Favorable outcomes - 3 R days and 2 N days e.g.
RRRNN, RNRNR, RRNNR etc
In how many ways can you arrange 3 Rs and 2 Ns? 5!/3!*2! = 10

Probability = 10/32 = 5/16

Method 2:
Probability of rain = 1/2
Probability of no rain = 1/2

Probability of RRRNN = (1/2)*(1/2)*(1/2)*(1/2)*(1/2) = 1/32
But there are other combinations too such as RRNRN, NNRRR etc. There are 10 such combinations as calculated above (in bold).
So total probability of 3 Rs and 2 Ns = (1/32) * 10 = 5/16

Hi VeritasPrepKarishma, Bunuel

For someone who is particularly weak at Probability and Combinatorics, where would you recommend practice for ground work?
I have read through the theory but the application for under 700 Questions is what I need to work on.

thanks in anticipation.

You can search for relevant tags (Probability, Below 600 and 600 - 700 level) on this forum itself.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GPA: 3.5
WE:Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Can someone explain why the formula is 5C3∗(1/2)^3∗(1/2)^2 instead of 5C3∗(1/2)^3∗(1/2)^5

I followed this example on another post on probability:
Example #1
Q.:If the probability of raining on any given day in Atlanta is 40 percent, what is the probability of raining on exactly 2 days in a 7-day period?
Solution: We are not interested in the exact sequence of event and thus apply formula #2:
P=C72∗0.42∗0.65
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64882 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Dlc930 wrote:
Can someone explain why the formula is 5C3∗(1/2)^3∗(1/2)^2 instead of 5C3∗(1/2)^3∗(1/2)^5

I followed this example on another post on probability:
Example #1
Q.:If the probability of raining on any given day in Atlanta is 40 percent, what is the probability of raining on exactly 2 days in a 7-day period?
Solution: We are not interested in the exact sequence of event and thus apply formula #2:
P=C72∗0.42∗0.65

Note that the number of days in the two cases are different.
In our original question, we are talking about 5 days so probability of rain on 3 days will be (1/2)^3 and of no rain on 2 days will be (1/2)^2.

In the other question you mentioned, we are talking about 7 days so we have (1/2)^2 and (1/2)^5.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 821 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
Math Expert
92883 posts
Senior Moderator - Masters Forum
3137 posts