Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 11 Jul 2014, 11:26

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

If the public library shared by the adjacent towns of

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:
Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 20 Apr 2005
Posts: 586
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
If the public library shared by the adjacent towns of [#permalink] New post 30 May 2005, 10:53
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  5% (low)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 0 sessions
If the public library shared by the adjacent towns of Redville and Glenwood were relocated from the library’s current, overcrowded building in central Redville to a larger, available building in central Glenwood, the library would then be within walking distance of a larger number of library users. That is because there are many more people living in central Glenwood than in central Redville, and people generally will walk to the library only if it is located close to their homes.

10. Which one of the following, if true, most strengthens the argument?

(A) The public library was located between Glenwood and Redville before being moved to its current location in central Redville.
(B) The area covered by central Glenwood is approximately the same size as that covered by central Redville.
(C) The building that is available in Glenwood is smaller than an alternative building that is available in Redville.
(D) Many of the people who use the public library do not live in either Glenwood or Redville.
(E) The distance that people currently walk to get to the library is farther than what is generally considered walking distance.
SVP
SVP
User avatar
Joined: 05 Apr 2005
Posts: 1736
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR: Public library [#permalink] New post 30 May 2005, 18:38
(B) The area covered by central Glenwood is approximately the same size as that covered by central Redville.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
User avatar
Joined: 07 Jul 2004
Posts: 5097
Location: Singapore
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 130 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 30 May 2005, 19:11
(A) The public library was located between Glenwood and Redville before being moved to its current location in central Redville.
- Not important. We do not know if there are less people visiting the library after the relocation to central G.

(B) The area covered by central Glenwood is approximately the same size as that covered by central Redville.
- This statement is meaningless. Both G and R can be of the samesize, but that does not translate to the number of library go-er.

(C) The building that is available in Glenwood is smaller than an alternative building that is available in Redville.
- I'll go with this. If the building is smaller, but authorities deem it better, then it must be because most library go-ers are from central G and moving it closer to their home would make it more appealing to them (since they only need to walk and not bother with other means of transportation)

(D) Many of the people who use the public library do not live in either Glenwood or Redville.
- If so, then it doesn't matter if the library moves or not.

(E) The distance that people currently walk to get to the library is farther than what is generally considered walking distance.
- We're only told people walk to library if it is closer to home. This does not mean people do not visit the library if it is not closer to home. All it means is if the library is further, then we'll go there via other means.

C for me.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 30 May 2005
Posts: 29
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 01 Jun 2005, 00:27
I would rather opt E as an option.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
User avatar
Joined: 07 Jul 2004
Posts: 5097
Location: Singapore
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 130 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 01 Jun 2005, 00:34
tarungmat wrote:
I would rather opt E as an option.


I think E is right only if the passage says "people walk to the library". In the passage, all it says is people would walk if the library is close to their homes. This means if it's farther, they would drive/cycle etc... it doesn't mean they stop visiting the library
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 14 May 2005
Posts: 85
Location: San Francisco
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 01 Jun 2005, 01:22
E sounds good—moving the library to central Glenwood puts the walking distance within the scope of people’s perception.

A – does not help to strengthen
B – unnecessary information
C – weakens the argument
D – weakens the argument
Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 05 Jan 2005
Posts: 562
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 01 Jun 2005, 01:40
I'll pick (E).

The size of the buildings has nothing to do with the fact that more people will visit the lib. if it is located in G.
Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 18 Feb 2005
Posts: 674
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 01 Jun 2005, 04:49
E....
Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 20 Apr 2005
Posts: 586
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Answer [#permalink] New post 01 Jun 2005, 10:30
The OA is B.
Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 11 Mar 2005
Posts: 726
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 01 Jun 2005, 14:17
what is the OE ???

B just does not make sense to me at all.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 30 May 2005
Posts: 29
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 01 Jun 2005, 21:10
This is complete bouncer to me. Will anybody help me here. Thanks.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 12 Oct 2003
Posts: 265
Location: sydney
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 02 Jun 2005, 07:31
B is possible.
Areas of both the towns are same and more people live in Glenwood , suggets that Glenwood is more densly populated. so more people are living near the liberary.

but how to refute E.?
_________________

When u r about to make ends meet, someone moves the ends.

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 14 May 2005
Posts: 85
Location: San Francisco
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 02 Jun 2005, 09:35
winwinMBA:

Could you post the official explanation?
VP
VP
avatar
Joined: 30 Sep 2004
Posts: 1493
Location: Germany
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 34 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 02 Jun 2005, 11:50
B) is ok. what do we have to strenghten ? "... the library would then be within walking distance of a larger number of library users". the library is located from central redville to central glenwood. why ? because more ppl are living in glenwood. is this enough ? no ! because the arg says that more ppl go to the library when it is in walking distance. so is central redwood equal to central glenwill so that their walking distances are comparable. B) says they are the same size. thats it !

E) is not ok because we only know about the walking distance of redville but not of glenwood.
_________________

If your mind can conceive it and your heart can believe it, have faith that you can achieve it.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 17 May 2005
Posts: 273
Location: Auckland, New Zealand
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 02 Jun 2005, 17:18
i would go for B...

they are trying to say that more ppl live in location Y than location X and ppl only go to the library if its close to them...
what if Y is bigger than X...it would mean that ppl living at the outskirts of Y are not within 'walking distance' of the library and hence wouldn't go....
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 17 Apr 2005
Posts: 377
Location: India
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 02 Jun 2005, 19:33
cloudz9 wrote:
i would go for B...

they are trying to say that more ppl live in location Y than location X and ppl only go to the library if its close to them...
what if Y is bigger than X...it would mean that ppl living at the outskirts of Y are not within 'walking distance' of the library and hence wouldn't go....


I vote for E.

Well, if Y was indeed bigger it would have been an even bigger difficutly for them to reach the lib in X than when it is relocated to Y.

HMTG.
OE please ??
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
User avatar
Joined: 07 Jul 2004
Posts: 5097
Location: Singapore
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 130 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 02 Jun 2005, 19:41
HowManyToGo wrote:
cloudz9 wrote:
i would go for B...

they are trying to say that more ppl live in location Y than location X and ppl only go to the library if its close to them...
what if Y is bigger than X...it would mean that ppl living at the outskirts of Y are not within 'walking distance' of the library and hence wouldn't go....


I vote for E.

Well, if Y was indeed bigger it would have been an even bigger difficutly for them to reach the lib in X than when it is relocated to Y.

HMTG.
OE please ??


Well, having more people live in the area doesn't mean more people will visit the library. That's a pretty hugh assumption to make in between isnt it?
Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 18 Feb 2005
Posts: 674
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 02 Jun 2005, 19:53
ywilfred wrote:
HowManyToGo wrote:
cloudz9 wrote:
i would go for B...

they are trying to say that more ppl live in location Y than location X and ppl only go to the library if its close to them...
what if Y is bigger than X...it would mean that ppl living at the outskirts of Y are not within 'walking distance' of the library and hence wouldn't go....


I vote for E.

Well, if Y was indeed bigger it would have been an even bigger difficutly for them to reach the lib in X than when it is relocated to Y.

HMTG.
OE please ??


Well, having more people live in the area doesn't mean more people will visit the library. That's a pretty hugh assumption to make in between isnt it?


Agree with you....I would say still say E is the answer...
SVP
SVP
User avatar
Joined: 03 Jan 2005
Posts: 2255
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 186 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR: Public library [#permalink] New post 02 Jun 2005, 22:03
Fact: More people live in center G than in central R.
Premise: People will walk to the library only if it is locted close to their homes.
Conclusion: Library building in central G is within walking distance of a larger number of users.

To get to the conclusion we have to prove that more people live within walking distance to the library. If the two area are the same size, then the higher density area would generate more people within walking distance, no matter how walking distance is defined. Therefore B is correct.

E is out of scope, and actually weakens the argument by defuse the premise by stating people is willing to walk to the library even if it is located farther then what is normally considered walking distance.
_________________

Keep on asking, and it will be given you;
keep on seeking, and you will find;
keep on knocking, and it will be opened to you.

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
User avatar
Joined: 07 Jul 2004
Posts: 5097
Location: Singapore
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 130 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR: Public library [#permalink] New post 02 Jun 2005, 22:16
HongHu wrote:
Fact: More people live in center G than in central R.
Premise: People will walk to the library only if it is locted close to their homes.
Conclusion: Library building in central G is within walking distance of a larger number of users.

To get to the conclusion we have to prove that more people live within walking distance to the library. If the two area are the same size, then the higher density area would generate more people within walking distance, no matter how walking distance is defined. Therefore B is correct.

E is out of scope, and actually weakens the argument by defuse the premise by stating people is willing to walk to the library even if it is located farther then what is normally considered walking distance.


Good one honghu, I failed to get the proper conclusion for this passage. :oops:
Re: CR: Public library   [#permalink] 02 Jun 2005, 22:16
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
If the public library shared by the adjacent towns of snoor 6 07 Jun 2009, 17:05
If the public library shared by the adjacent towns of neelabhmahesh 13 22 Feb 2008, 02:41
If the public library shared by the adjacent towns of vineetgupta 7 16 Mar 2007, 09:34
If the public library shared by the adjacent towns of jyotsnasarabu 8 29 Nov 2006, 07:56
The public library allocated the revenues it received from kdhong 4 31 Dec 2004, 15:40
Display posts from previous: Sort by

If the public library shared by the adjacent towns of

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Go to page    1   2    Next  [ 23 posts ] 



GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.