Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 29 Aug 2014, 04:22

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

If the public library shared by the adjacent towns of

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 0

If the public library shared by the adjacent towns of [#permalink] New post 22 Feb 2008, 02:41
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 0 sessions
If the public library shared by the adjacent towns of Redville and Glenwood were relocated from the library’s current, overcrowded building in central Redville to a larger, available building in central Glenwood, the library would then be within walking distance of a larger number of library users. That is because there are many more people living in central Glenwood than in central Redville, and people generally will walk to the library only if it is located close to their homes.

Which one of the following, if true, most strengthens the argument?

(A) The public library was located between Glenwood and Redville before being moved to its current location in central Redville.
(B) The area covered by central Glenwood is approximately the same size as that covered by central Redville.
(C) The building that is available in Glenwood is smaller than an alternative building that is available in Redville.
(D) Many of the people who use the public library do not live in either Glenwood or Redville.
(E) The distance that people currently walk to get to the library is farther than what is generally considered walking distance.

Explanation pls

Neelabh Mahesh

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 3

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR: libraray [#permalink] New post 22 Feb 2008, 05:32
This question seems to be very difficult for me. I would vote for B, because the other answers cannot strenghten the argument. B says that the new area in Glenwood has the same size as the old area in the other town, therefore the same number of people can enter to the libary. I think it supports the argument a little bit.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

Re: CR: libraray [#permalink] New post 22 Feb 2008, 06:45
Im saying E. E strengthens the argument that if closer to peoples homes, more will walk to the library. E says that currently the library is farther than walking distance. Thus, if its moved to the new location, E supports the argument.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR: libraray [#permalink] New post 22 Feb 2008, 06:48
E makes sense to me, out of all the available options.

Why?

(A) The public library was located between Glenwood and Redville before being moved to its current location in central Redville.
Irrelevant.
(B) The area covered by central Glenwood is approximately the same size as that covered by central Redville.
Doesn't strengthen the argument
(C) The building that is available in Glenwood is smaller than an alternative building that is available in Redville.
Weakens the argument
(D) Many of the people who use the public library do not live in either Glenwood or Redville.
Doesn't strengthen the argument.
(E) The distance that people currently walk to get to the library is farther than what is generally considered walking distance.
[color=#404000]If the library is moved to a location which is in a walking distance, more people would come to the library?[/color]
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 3

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR: libraray [#permalink] New post 22 Feb 2008, 06:59
"people generally will walk to the library only if it is located close to their homes"

E is not good, although the argument try to lead us in this direction. The argument does not say that people will not drive to the libary. The argument only talks that walking is the preference for people living close to the libery.
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 104 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR: libraray [#permalink] New post 22 Feb 2008, 07:07
Conclusion: If the library is relocated to central Glenwood, then it is more accessible to general users as it is well within the walk able distance. The strengthen argument must introduce answer choice that emphasize library continue to more accessible to users.

(A) The public library was located between Glenwood and Redville before being moved to its current location in central Redville. [History of library relocation is out of scope – eliminate it]
(B) The area covered by central Glenwood is approximately the same size as that covered by central Redville.[Good – this makes sure that the user enrollement won’t be reduced – at least maintain current level – hold it]
(C) The building that is available in Glenwood is smaller than an alternative building that is available in Redville. [This weakens the argument – eliminate it]
(D) Many of the people who use the public library do not live in either Glenwood or Redville. [Given two locations, where users live is out of scope – eliminate it]
(E) The distance that people currently walk to get to the library is farther than what is generally considered walking distance.[This is fine, but we are not measuring what is walkable distance – right? – eliminate it]

In the first pass, it was difficult to narrow down the answer as "B" also maintains status quo of the number users. But, given all other choices, "B" stands out fine.

Answer: B
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 0

Re: CR: libraray [#permalink] New post 22 Feb 2008, 07:28
Agreed B it is because for some reason, to me it seems that every other choice weakens the argument, while B does nothing to it, hence B is the only plausible choice here.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

Re: CR: libraray [#permalink] New post 22 Feb 2008, 08:23
Whats the OA answer?
VP
VP
Schools: Chicago Booth '11
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 149 [0], given: 12

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR: libraray [#permalink] New post 22 Feb 2008, 13:27
I'm with B all the way. The argument states that the reason more people will go is because there are more people in glenwood and they like to walk to library, well hes assuming that glenwood is the same size, but if it were 10 times larger, more people could be farther away from library and wouldnt want to walk that distance so he couldnt conclude that it would be within walking distance of more library goers
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 0

Re: CR: libraray [#permalink] New post 23 Feb 2008, 23:25
The answer availabe with me is B

Neelabh Mahesh

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 0

Re: CR: libraray [#permalink] New post 23 Feb 2008, 23:41
I think is B too. The arguement says that "there are many more people living in central Glenwood than in central Redville, and people generally will walk to the library only if it is located close to their homes" and the relocation will allow to a larger number of people to walk to the library. But this will happen ONLY if it's close to their homes. So if the area of central Glenwood is the same as the area of central Redville, the arguement is strengthened.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 7

CAT Tests
Re: CR: libraray [#permalink] New post 05 Mar 2008, 17:26
I'm going with B on this one.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 33 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User