Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 06:37 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 06:38

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 60 [34]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618940 [3]
Given Kudos: 81595
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [2]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
GMAT Date: 06-30-2014
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 1422 [2]
Given Kudos: 632
Send PM
Re: If the slopes of the line l1 and l2 are of the same sign, is [#permalink]
Kudos
anirudh777 wrote:
stne wrote:
anirudh777 wrote:
ALTERNATE SOLUTION:

Equation 1 : l1 : y=(m1)X+c1 , where m1 is slope and c1 is constant
Equation 2 : l2 : y=(m2)X+c2 , where m2 is slope and c2 is constant

Also given that slope are of same sign. Means--either both m1, m2 are positive or both are negative.

Statement 1 : intersect at point (a,b) where in both a and b are positive.

(1)==> y=b=(m1)a+c1=(m2)a+c2 -simply putting coordinates in both the equations of lines.

But from here we cannot conclude whether m1 > or < m2

Hence Insufficient.

Statement 2 : The X-intercept of line l1 is greater than the X-intercept of line l2

==> As value of x, when y=0, is the X intercept. Thus, X intercept for l1 and l2 are:
l1: -c1/(m1)
l2: -c2/(m2)

(2)==> -c1/(m1) > -c2/(m2), Since we dont know the sogn of c1 and c2 and we dont know there values we cannot conclude anything from this.

Hence Insufficient.

Combining both the statements :
and solving (1) and (2) we get,

a-b/(m1) >a-b/(m2) ---> m1<m2 Hence SUFFICIENT. Thus answer is C.

Hi

I have been able to figure out the graphical way by myself, but I cannot figure out how you combined the two equations to get \(\frac{(a-b)}{m1} >\frac{(a-b)}{m2}\) in your algebraic method, can anyone help with the algebraic method here.

Thanks

solving Equations (1) and (2) means, substituting the value of c1 and c2 from equation (1) in equation (2)-

From (1) :
c1= b-a(m1)
c2= b-1(m2)

putting these values in eq2

-c1/(m1) > -c2/(m2)

==> -[b-a(m1)]/m1 > -[b-a(m2)]/m2

--> -b/m1 + a > -b/m2 + a

--> since we know a and b are positive constant values, we can cancel them out from the equality and we are then left with

==> m1<m2.

Hence Sufficient. :lol:

many thanks +1

however slope of m1>m2 and not m1<m2 as you have arrived at, guess small oversight in your calculation.

Here we go:

\(b=m_1.a+c_1\), and \(b=m_2.a+c_2\) these are the two equations of the line from statement 1

\(c_1= b-m_1a\) and \(c_2=b-m_2a\).. ( 1)

x intercept's \(\frac{-c_1}{m_1}\) and \(\frac{-c_2}{m_2}\)...(2)

given \(\frac{-c_1}{m_1} > \frac{-c_2}{m_2}\). from statement 2

now substituting the values of \(c_1\) and \(c_2\) from ..(1) in ...(2)

\(\frac{-(b-m_1a)}{m_1} > \frac{-(b-m_2a)}{m_2}\)

\(\frac{-b+m_1a}{m_1} > \frac{-b+m_2a}{m_2}\) ,multiplying the negative sign in the numerator

\(\frac{-b}{m_1}+a >\frac{-b}{m_2}+a\) , dividing LHS by \(m_1\) and RHS by \(m_2\)
\(\frac{-b}{m_1}>\frac{-b}{m_2}\), cancelling out a from both sides

\(\frac{b}{m_1}<\frac{b}{m_2}\), Multiplying both sides by negative and reversing the > sign to < , since in inequality we reverse the operator when we multiply( or divide)by a negative sign. ( Guess you forgot this part )

so finally we are left with \(\frac{b}{m_1}<\frac{b}{m_2}\)

\(\frac{1}{m_1}<\frac{1}{m_2}\) , cancelling b from both sides

\(\frac{1}{m_1}<\frac{1}{m_2}\)

Now we are still not sure of the signs of slope , both could be + or both could be -

if both are positive then
\(m_1>m_2\)

if both are negative

then we have \(\frac{1}{- m_1}<\frac{1}{- m_2}\)

here also we have \(m_1>m_2\)

hence \(m_1>m_2\) for all cases and hence sufficient

Hope I have done everything correctly

Thank you for showing the way.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 2391 [2]
Given Kudos: 355
Concentration: Finance
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
My approach

y = mx + f (Line 1)

y = nx + g (Line 2)

Is m>n or m-n>0?

(1) b=am + f

b = an + g

m-n = g-f/a where 'a' is a positive integer

So m>n only when g>f Insuff

(2) n=-f/x
m=-g/x

-f>-g
g>f

Insuff

(1) and (2)

We know that g>f therefore m>n

C
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 138 [0]
Given Kudos: 17
Send PM
L2 is steeper thus its slope is more negative (the absolute value of its slope is greater) than the slope of L2 ... Does it mean than L1??
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618940 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
pavanpuneet wrote:
L2 is steeper thus its slope is more negative (the absolute value of its slope is greater) than the slope of L2 ... Does it mean than L1??

Yes, that is correct.
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618940 [1]
Send PM
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Bumping for review and further discussion*. Get a kudos point for an alternative solution!

*New project from GMAT Club!!! Check HERE

Theory on Coordinate Geometry: math-coordinate-geometry-87652.html

All DS Coordinate Geometry Problems to practice: search.php?search_id=tag&tag_id=41
All PS Coordinate Geometry Problems to practice: search.php?search_id=tag&tag_id=62
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 1422 [0]
Send PM
Hi can anyone help me here, in the figure above for the blue case it looks to me that L2 is steeper than L1, lets take a very large value and a very small value for the x intercept.Lets suppose L1 passes through 100 and L2 passes through 5,so x intercept of L1 is more than L2,since L2 is closer to the y axis on account of lesser x intercept it is more vertical hence its steeper and hence it looks to me that for Blue case( when both the lines have negative slope ) slope of L2 is greater than L1.

Also Visually in the Graph above for the Blue case it looks as though L2 is steeper than L1, what am I missing here?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
GMAT Date: 06-30-2014
Send PM
ALTERNATE SOLUTION:

Also given that slope are of same sign. Means--either both m1, m2 are positive or both are negative.

(1)==> y=b=(m1)a+c1=(m2)a+c2 -simply putting coordinates in both the equations of lines.

Hence Insufficient.

Statement 2 : The X-intercept of line l1 is greater than the X-intercept of line l2

==> As value of x, when y=0, is the X intercept. Thus, X intercept for l1 and l2 are:

(2)==> -c1/(m1) > -c2/(m2), Since we dont know the sogn of c1 and c2 and we dont know there values we cannot conclude anything from this.

Hence Insufficient.

SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 1422 [0]
Send PM
anirudh777 wrote:
ALTERNATE SOLUTION:

Hence Insufficient.

Hence Insufficient.

Hi

I have been able to figure out the graphical way by myself, but I cannot figure out how you combined the two equations to get \(\frac{(a-b)}{m1} >\frac{(a-b)}{m2}\) in your algebraic method, can anyone help with the algebraic method here.

Thanks
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 290
Send PM
Bunuel wrote:
Topic moved to DS subforum.

kenguva wrote:
If the slopes of the line l1 and l2 are of the same sign, is the slope of the line l1 greater than that of line l2?

(1) Lines l1 and l2 intersect at point(a,b) where a and b are positive
(2) The X-intercept of line l1 is greater than the X-intercept of line l2

If the slopes of the line l1 and l2 are of the same sign, is the slope of the line l1 greater than that of line l2?

(1) Lines l1 and l2 intersect at point (a,b) where a and b are positive --> clearly insufficient: we can rotate the lines on this point so that we get an YES, as well as NO answers. Not sufficient.

(2) The X-intercept of line l1 is greater than the X-intercept of line l2 --> also insufficient: we can draw numerous lines with the same sign slopes so that we get an YES, as well as NO answers. Not sufficient.

(1)+(2) We know that: the slopes of the lines are of the same sign, that they intersect in I quadrant and the X-intercept of line l1 is greater than the X-intercept of line l2. There can be two cases:
Attachment:
graph 5.png
You can see that in both cases the slope of L1 is greater than the slope of L1 as a steeper incline indicates a higher absolute value of the slope.

Hi Bunuel, could you kindly enlighten on 2 questions please?
1 - How do we know the slopes of the lines are of the same sign as per the highlighted quote above?
2 - Why is that information on X-intercept can be used to solve this question, but not on another question when the intersection point of 2 lines is (-2,4).
This "other" question is referenced below, posted by dreambeliever

Other question: Lines m and n lie in the xy-plane and intersect at the point (-2; 4). Is the slope of line m less than the slope of line n?

(1) The x-intercept of line m is greater than the x-intercept of line n.
(2) The y-intercept of line n is greater than the y-intercept of line m.

PS: Apologies for any errors in posting, this is my first post.

Thank you!
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 201 [0]
Given Kudos: 332
Send PM
Bunuel wrote:
Topic moved to DS subforum.

kenguva wrote:

(1) Lines l1 and l2 intersect at point(a,b) where a and b are positive
(2) The X-intercept of line l1 is greater than the X-intercept of line l2

(1) Lines l1 and l2 intersect at point (a,b) where a and b are positive --> clearly insufficient: we can rotate the lines on this point so that we get an YES, as well as NO answers. Not sufficient.

(2) The X-intercept of line l1 is greater than the X-intercept of line l2 --> also insufficient: we can draw numerous lines with the same sign slopes so that we get an YES, as well as NO answers. Not sufficient.

(1)+(2) We know that: the slopes of the lines are of the same sign, that they intersect in I quadrant and the X-intercept of line l1 is greater than the X-intercept of line l2. There can be two cases:
Attachment:
graph 5.png
You can see that in both cases the slope of L1 is greater than the slope of L1 as a steeper incline indicates a higher absolute value of the slope.

In red case: both lines have positive slope, L1 is steeper thus its slope is greater than the slope of L2;
In blue case: both lines have negative slope, L2 is steeper thus its slope is more negative (the absolute value of its slope is greater) than the slope of L1, which also means that the slope of L1 is greater than the slope of L2.

Answer: C.

For more on this topic check Coordinate Geometry chapter of Math Book: https://gmatclub.com/forum/math-coordina ... 87652.html

P.S.
Please post PS questions in the PS subforum: https://gmatclub.com/forum/gmat-problem-solving-ps-140/
Please post DS questions in the DS subforum: https://gmatclub.com/forum/gmat-data-sufficiency-ds-141/

No posting of PS/DS questions is allowed in the main Math forum.

Hi Bunuel, this distinction between 'greater/lesser' and 'steeper/less steep' still eludes me.

So basically for the red lines with POSITIVE slope, we say that the slope of line 1 is GREATER because it is STEEPER.
But, for the blue lines with NEGATIVE slope, we say that the slope of line 1 is SMALLER because it is LESS STEEP

How would you compare the slope of red line1 with blue line2? Which one has a 'greater' slope?
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 821 [0]
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Math Expert
92912 posts