Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Oct 2014, 11:14

Going on right now!

Interview Invites from Chicago - Booth | Join the chat room for Live Updates.

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

If the standard deviation of Set Y is 4, what is the range

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 56 [0], given: 0

If the standard deviation of Set Y is 4, what is the range [#permalink] New post 14 Jul 2009, 18:48
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

5% (low)

Question Stats:

57% (00:00) correct 43% (00:41) wrong based on 7 sessions
If the standard deviation of Set Y is 4, what is the range of scores that fall within one standard deviation?

(1) The median of Set Y is 5.

(2) The mean of Set Y is 6.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Standard Deviation [#permalink] New post 14 Jul 2009, 23:55
Ans "B"
Range = Mean +/- std deviation
So st 2 provides the info on mean of set. and can be answered.
Manager
Manager

Re: Standard Deviation [#permalink] New post 15 Jul 2009, 19:58
I agree with you. But my concern is that we dont need either of the statements to come to the conclusion that range is 8. We are given that std dev is 4 in the question. So obviosuly the first standard dev has scores that fall within a range of 8. So we dont either of the stmts to answrt the question....

Example we are told mean is 6. So first std dev has scores ranging from 2 (6-4) to 10 (6+4).
Example 2. Lets say we are told mean is 20. So first std dev has scores ranging from 16 (20-4) to 24 (20+4)

In either case, the range is always going to be 8.Am I correct? Can somebody explain why we need statement B?
GMAT Instructor
Followers: 261

Kudos [?]: 709 [0], given: 3

Re: Standard Deviation [#permalink] New post 16 Jul 2009, 05:06
The answer is E; neither statement is at all helpful. Taking the question literally, we need to find the range (i.e. largest - smallest) of the set of values which are greater than M -4 and less than M + 4, where M is the mean. It's clear that the range is no larger than 8, but you can't assume that the range is in fact 8. Take, for example, the following data set:

\{ -2\sqrt{10}, 0, 0, 0, 2\sqrt{10} \}

The standard deviation of this set is 4, and the set of values within one standard deviation of the mean is simply {0,0,0}, which has a range of 0.

I'd guess the question designer intended to ask something different with this question. If the 'correct' answer is B, I'd guess that the question designer meant 'range' in the colloquial sense (the question might be trying to say: values within one s.d. of the mean must lie between which min and max values?), and not the sense in which the word is used on the GMAT or in real statistics (largest-smallest). If that's the intended meaning, it's a badly written question, and you would never encounter such ambiguity on the real test. What is the source?

Nov 2011: After years of development, I am now making my advanced Quant books and high-level problem sets available for sale. Contact me at ianstewartgmat at gmail.com for details.

Private GMAT Tutor based in Toronto

Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 3

Re: Standard Deviation [#permalink] New post 16 Jul 2009, 06:54
I remember solving this in OG and yes i did the same mistake and gave it a B but the answer is 'E'.

As soon as I saw the question I knew it right off the bat..

My answer is B but OG ans is E :)

But IanStewart your explanation is good :) it makes sense. By knowing SD, mean you cant determine the range .
GMAT Instructor
Followers: 261

Kudos [?]: 709 [0], given: 3

Re: Standard Deviation [#permalink] New post 16 Jul 2009, 09:07
This is definitely not a question from the OG. The question asks about the 'range of scores' without mentioning that the set contains 'scores'. It also asks for the range that 'fall within one standard deviation'. Within one standard deviation of what? No official question would ever have such wording.

Nov 2011: After years of development, I am now making my advanced Quant books and high-level problem sets available for sale. Contact me at ianstewartgmat at gmail.com for details.

Private GMAT Tutor based in Toronto

Manager
Manager

Re: Standard Deviation [#permalink] New post 19 Jul 2009, 17:51
Ian, I found this question in MGMAT forums, where it was mentioned that it is from one of their CAT exams.
Re: Standard Deviation   [#permalink] 19 Jul 2009, 17:51