Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 18 Apr 2014, 22:56

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

If the two floors in a certain building are 9 feet apart

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Director
Director
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 45 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
If the two floors in a certain building are 9 feet apart [#permalink] New post 08 Apr 2008, 15:23
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

15% (low)

Question Stats:

86% (01:31) correct 14% (00:36) wrong based on 50 sessions
If the two floors in a certain building are 9 feet apart, how many steps are there in a set of stairs that extends from the first floor to the second floor of the building?

(1) Each step is \frac{3}{4} foot high.
(2) Each step is 1 foot wide.

Official Guide 12 Question

GMAT Official Guide 12

Question: 47
Page: 277
Difficulty: 600

Find All Official Guide Questions

Video Explanations:
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Director
Director
Schools: Kellogg Class of 2011
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 145 [0], given: 9

GMAT Tests User
Re: DS OG: Geometry [#permalink] New post 08 Apr 2008, 17:36
The answer is A. There are 12 steps between the floors. The second answer only states how wide the steps are, they could be 1 inch high or 9 feet high, either way we don't know which.
1 KUDOS received
SVP
SVP
Schools: CBS, Kellogg
Followers: 14

Kudos [?]: 208 [1] , given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: DS OG: Geometry [#permalink] New post 08 Apr 2008, 18:23
This post received
KUDOS
jimmyjamesdonkey wrote:
If the two floors in a certain building at 9 feet apart, how many steps are there in a set of stairs that extends from the first floor to the second floor of the building?

1) Each step is 3/4 foot high
2) Each step is 1 foot wide

Here is my logic

"foot high" so you know something upward the sky, that is, the direction from the first to the second floor. But "foot wide", you can only know the direction toward the ocean. :lol: :lol: :lol:

A win
Director
Director
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 45 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: DS OG: Geometry [#permalink] New post 09 Apr 2008, 18:50
A is the right answer, but can someone explain to me why we do not need to know the rise and run of steps?
Director
Director
Schools: Kellogg Class of 2011
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 145 [0], given: 9

GMAT Tests User
Re: DS OG: Geometry [#permalink] New post 09 Apr 2008, 20:34
Think of a really long set of stairs 9 feet high or a really steep set of stairs 9 feet high. The depth of the stairs determines how far horizontally the first stair is from the top stair. The shorter the width of the stairs, the steeper the set of steps. This has nothing to do with the height of each step. The width is the part you step on and the height is the baseboard you see when you are walking up the stairs (also the vertical board).
Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 13

Re: Relatively simple question (logic & geometry I think) [#permalink] New post 18 Feb 2010, 07:16
Ok I can see that even if it zig zags the number of stairs will be the same BUT thats only if we assume that the next stair begins where the previous one ends (height wise)

Edit: the answer explanation states what I expected, that 1 is sufficient because you can get the number of steps by dividing the total height by the height of each step, but again how do I know that we can assume this?
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 59 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: Relatively simple question (logic & geometry I think) [#permalink] New post 18 Feb 2010, 09:04
as the question said that it extends from first fl to second fl .. means count anything that goes upwards
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 91 [0], given: 13

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: Relatively simple question (logic & geometry I think) [#permalink] New post 12 Mar 2010, 01:10
nickk wrote:
From OG 12th edition:

If the two floors in a certain building are 9 feet apart, how many steps are there in a set of stairs that extends from the first floor to the second floor of the building?

(1) Each step is 3/4 of a foot high
(2) Each step is 1 foot wide

OA:
[Reveal] Spoiler:
A

I thought it was
[Reveal] Spoiler:
E
because the stairway can be extended in many different ways, e.g. at different slopes, or it can even go up in one direction, and then in the other (sort of zig-zag). Also, each consecutive stair doesn't have to extend by its full height.
I guess if you assume that the stairs are placed in one direction, and the next begins where the previous ends (height wise) then A is the answer, but to me it seems that this assumption was not explicated in the question.

The distance given between two floors is in height, not slope or width. so if we consider 1st and 2nd floor it is the height which is 9 ft between both of them. SO how much ever slope we will give to the stairs their height should sum to 9 ft dats y we can conclude from the first point dat no of stairs = 9 ft / 3/4 ft
or 12 sets. This is why A is the answer.

My debrief: done-and-dusted-730-q49-v40

Re: Relatively simple question (logic & geometry I think)   [#permalink] 12 Mar 2010, 01:10