Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Oct 2014, 18:43

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

"if... then" Vs "will prevent.."

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 20 Feb 2006
Posts: 331
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 0

"if... then" Vs "will prevent.." [#permalink] New post 03 Jul 2006, 22:48
There is a gene that causes hemophilia, and if paired with a healthy gene the individual will not develop the disease's symptoms.

(A) There is a gene that causes hemophilia, and if paired with a healthy gene the individual will not develop
(B) If the gene that causes hemophilia is paired with a healthy gene, then the individual will not develop
(C) If paired with a healthy gene, the gene that causes hemophilia will prevent the individual from developing
(D) Hemophilia is caused by a gene that, if paired with a healthy gene, will not develop in the individual
(E) The gene that causes hemophilia, if paired with a healthy gene, causes the individual not to develop
Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 08 Jun 2004
Posts: 502
Location: Europe
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 03 Jul 2006, 22:54
Let me underline it.

There is a gene that causes hemophilia, and if paired with a healthy gene the individual will not develop the disease's symptoms.

Next time please underline your SC.
CEO
CEO
User avatar
Joined: 20 Nov 2005
Posts: 2922
Schools: Completed at SAID BUSINESS SCHOOL, OXFORD - Class of 2008
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 81 [0], given: 0

Re: "if... then" Vs "will prevent.." [#permalink] New post 03 Jul 2006, 23:02
There is a gene that causes hemophilia, and if paired with a healthy gene the individual will not develop the disease's symptoms.

(A) There is a gene that causes hemophilia, and if paired with a healthy gene the individual will not develop

==========> who is paired???

(B) If the gene that causes hemophilia is paired with a healthy gene, then the individual will not develop

==========> CORRECT

(C) If paired with a healthy gene, the gene that causes hemophilia will prevent the individual from developing

==========> its not the gene that is preventing the disease but its the pair.

(D) Hemophilia is caused by a gene that, if paired with a healthy gene, will not develop in the individual

==========> passive as well as last part wierd "will not develop in the individual the disease's symptoms."

(E) The gene that causes hemophilia, if paired with a healthy gene, causes the individual not to develop

==========> who is paired and its not the gene that is doing wonder but its the pair.
_________________

SAID BUSINESS SCHOOL, OXFORD - MBA CLASS OF 2008

VP
VP
User avatar
Joined: 07 Nov 2005
Posts: 1133
Location: India
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 1

 [#permalink] New post 03 Jul 2006, 23:08
Picking B over C.
Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 08 Jun 2004
Posts: 502
Location: Europe
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 03 Jul 2006, 23:11
M8 wrote:
Let me underline it.

There is a gene that causes hemophilia, and if paired with a healthy gene the individual will not develop the disease's symptoms.

Next time please underline your SC.


B is the answer.

If the gene that causes hemophilia is paired with a healthy gene, then the individual will not develop the disease's symptoms.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 20 Feb 2006
Posts: 331
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 0

Re: "if... then" Vs "will prevent.." [#permalink] New post 03 Jul 2006, 23:22
ps_dahiya wrote:
There is a gene that causes hemophilia, and if paired with a healthy gene the individual will not develop the disease's symptoms.

(A) There is a gene that causes hemophilia, and if paired with a healthy gene the individual will not develop

==========> who is paired???

(B) If the gene that causes hemophilia is paired with a healthy gene, then the individual will not develop

==========> CORRECT

(C) If paired with a healthy gene, the gene that causes hemophilia will prevent the individual from developing

==========> its not the gene that is preventing the disease but its the pair.

(D) Hemophilia is caused by a gene that, if paired with a healthy gene, will not develop in the individual

==========> passive as well as last part wierd "will not develop in the individual the disease's symptoms."

(E) The gene that causes hemophilia, if paired with a healthy gene, causes the individual not to develop

==========> who is paired and its not the gene that is doing wonder but its the pair.




OA is B.. A quick question.. Do we really need "then" in statement B ? ..
"then" kind of confuses me..i think "then" is unnecessary when if is used..
For ex:
1.If you hit me,i will hit you back.
2.If you hit me, then i will hit you back ?
isn't 1 better here ??
CEO
CEO
User avatar
Joined: 20 Nov 2005
Posts: 2922
Schools: Completed at SAID BUSINESS SCHOOL, OXFORD - Class of 2008
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 81 [0], given: 0

Re: "if... then" Vs "will prevent.." [#permalink] New post 03 Jul 2006, 23:30
sharadGmat wrote:
ps_dahiya wrote:
There is a gene that causes hemophilia, and if paired with a healthy gene the individual will not develop the disease's symptoms.

(A) There is a gene that causes hemophilia, and if paired with a healthy gene the individual will not develop

==========> who is paired???

(B) If the gene that causes hemophilia is paired with a healthy gene, then the individual will not develop

==========> CORRECT

(C) If paired with a healthy gene, the gene that causes hemophilia will prevent the individual from developing

==========> its not the gene that is preventing the disease but its the pair.

(D) Hemophilia is caused by a gene that, if paired with a healthy gene, will not develop in the individual

==========> passive as well as last part wierd "will not develop in the individual the disease's symptoms."

(E) The gene that causes hemophilia, if paired with a healthy gene, causes the individual not to develop

==========> who is paired and its not the gene that is doing wonder but its the pair.




OA is B.. A quick question.. Do we really need "then" in statement B ? ..
"then" kind of confuses me..i think "then" is unnecessary when if is used..
For ex:
1.If you hit me,i will hit you back.
2.If you hit me, then i will hit you back ?
isn't 1 better here ??


Sharad,

I think the error in the question is not due to "If...then". There are other errors.

Coming to you second question, yes in this context, 1 is better but it all depends on the context.

For example, If you complete this assignment, then you will get good grade.

Guys correct me if I am wrong? BTW, I am not an SC guru. I am just a learner like you.
_________________

SAID BUSINESS SCHOOL, OXFORD - MBA CLASS OF 2008

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 20 Feb 2006
Posts: 331
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 0

Re: "if... then" Vs "will prevent.." [#permalink] New post 03 Jul 2006, 23:37
ps_dahiya wrote:
sharadGmat wrote:
ps_dahiya wrote:
There is a gene that causes hemophilia, and if paired with a healthy gene the individual will not develop the disease's symptoms.

(A) There is a gene that causes hemophilia, and if paired with a healthy gene the individual will not develop

==========> who is paired???

(B) If the gene that causes hemophilia is paired with a healthy gene, then the individual will not develop

==========> CORRECT

(C) If paired with a healthy gene, the gene that causes hemophilia will prevent the individual from developing

==========> its not the gene that is preventing the disease but its the pair.

(D) Hemophilia is caused by a gene that, if paired with a healthy gene, will not develop in the individual

==========> passive as well as last part wierd "will not develop in the individual the disease's symptoms."

(E) The gene that causes hemophilia, if paired with a healthy gene, causes the individual not to develop

==========> who is paired and its not the gene that is doing wonder but its the pair.




OA is B.. A quick question.. Do we really need "then" in statement B ? ..
"then" kind of confuses me..i think "then" is unnecessary when if is used..
For ex:
1.If you hit me,i will hit you back.
2.If you hit me, then i will hit you back ?
isn't 1 better here ??


Sharad,

I think the error in the question is not due to "If...then". There are other errors.

Coming to you second question, yes in this context, 1 is better but it all depends on the context.

For example, If you complete this assignment, then you will get good grade.

Guys correct me if I am wrong? BTW, I am not an SC guru. I am just a learner like you.


Hmm.. I agree that "then" is ok here.. I got confused by "then and also I didn't see the error in C.. and chose C.. Thanks for pointing it out.. :)
CEO
CEO
User avatar
Joined: 20 Nov 2005
Posts: 2922
Schools: Completed at SAID BUSINESS SCHOOL, OXFORD - Class of 2008
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 81 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 03 Jul 2006, 23:45
Sharad,

Don't take it as an offense but I would suggest not to go by the sound EXCEPT when

1. You narrowed down to two choices but now you can't find the gramatical mistake in these.
2. Listening for idioms

I used to go by the sound a lot and my SC rate was not that good. Now I always try to find the error in all the choice and I am improving day by day.
_________________

SAID BUSINESS SCHOOL, OXFORD - MBA CLASS OF 2008

VP
VP
User avatar
Joined: 14 May 2006
Posts: 1419
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 46 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 04 Jul 2006, 10:23
This sentence is a clear conditional case. When you use "IF" you should likely have "THEN" in the answer choice.... also never put "WILL" in the conditional 'IF' clause... always wrong...

in addition, if there is "IF" without "THEN" and it isn't a conditional sentence, then we use "WHETHER"

B is the only choice here based on my logic
SVP
SVP
avatar
Joined: 30 Mar 2006
Posts: 1741
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 04 Jul 2006, 21:21
Will go with B.

By POE this reamins the best choice
Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 29 Jan 2005
Posts: 5252
Followers: 23

Kudos [?]: 139 [0], given: 0

Reviews Badge
Re: "if... then" Vs "will prevent.." [#permalink] New post 05 Jul 2006, 06:00
ps_dahiya wrote:
There is a gene that causes hemophilia, and if paired with a healthy gene the individual will not develop the disease's symptoms.

(A) There is a gene that causes hemophilia, and if paired with a healthy gene the individual will not develop

==========> who is paired???

(B) If the gene that causes hemophilia is paired with a healthy gene, then the individual will not develop

==========> CORRECT

(C) If paired with a healthy gene, the gene that causes hemophilia will prevent the individual from developing

==========> its not the gene that is preventing the disease but its the pair.

(D) Hemophilia is caused by a gene that, if paired with a healthy gene, will not develop in the individual

==========> passive as well as last part wierd "will not develop in the individual the disease's symptoms."

(E) The gene that causes hemophilia, if paired with a healthy gene, causes the individual not to develop

==========> who is paired and its not the gene that is doing wonder but its the pair.


Originally chose (C) but after reading PS Dashiya`s explanation I`m convinced it`s (B). Besides the mispositioned modifier, "prevent from developing" is wordier than "will not develope"

GMAT prefers simplicity..
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 06 Jul 2004
Posts: 474
Location: united states
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 08 Jul 2006, 13:14
guys, could you explain why C is wrong here. C by language implies that it's the pair of the genes that prevents the symptoms.
_________________

for every person who doesn't try because he is
afraid of loosing , there is another person who
keeps making mistakes and succeeds..

  [#permalink] 08 Jul 2006, 13:14
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
Flu Prevention GMATcram 4 08 Jun 2007, 02:22
It is as difficult to prevent crimes against property as nakib77 5 30 Nov 2005, 13:35
It is as difficult to prevent crimes against property as gmacvik 1 14 Oct 2005, 18:10
It is as difficult to prevent crimes against property as perezhan 8 14 Jul 2005, 19:11
It is as difficult to prevent crimes against property as prasad_bgv 8 05 Jan 2005, 22:09
Display posts from previous: Sort by

"if... then" Vs "will prevent.."

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.