Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 12:57 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 12:57

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 3223 [137]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618579 [61]
Given Kudos: 81562
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 511 [43]
Given Kudos: 27
Send PM
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618579 [38]
Send PM
Re: If there are four distinct pairs of brothers and sisters, then in how [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
seekmba wrote:
If there are four distinct pairs of brothers and sisters, then in how many ways can a committee of 3 be formed and NOT have siblings in it?

 8
 24
 32
 56
 192

I find it difficult to understand the difference between permutation and combination and hence find these questions very hard.

As committee shouldn't have siblings in it, then a pair can send only one "representative" to the committee. # of ways to choose which 3 pairs of brothers and sisters should send one "representative" to the committee is \(C^3_4\) (choosing 3 pairs which will be granted the right to send one "representative" to the committee);

But each of these 3 pairs can send 2 persons to the committee either a brother or a sister: \(2*2*2=2^3\);

So total # of ways is \(C^3_4*2^3=32\).

Answer: C.

Similar problems:
confuseddd-99055.html?hilit=married
ps-combinations-94068.html?hilit=married
combination-permutation-problem-couples-98533.html?hilit=married

Hope it helps.
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 91 [5]
Given Kudos: 11
Send PM
Re: If there are four distinct pairs of brothers and sisters, then in how [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
The first person on the committee can be anyone of the 8.

The second person on the committee can be only one out of 6 (the first person with her or his sibling excluded).

The third person can be selected only out of 4 (first two members and their siblings excluded), giving 8*6*4 permutations. These are called permutations because we count every distinct combination of 3 people 6 times (6=3!). For example, we count {Ann, Bill, and Jane} as {Ann, Bill, Jane}, {Ann, Jane, Bill}, {Jane, Ann, Bill}, {Jane, Bill, Ann}, {Bill, Ann, Jane}, {Bill, Jane, Ann}. To get the number of combinations, divide the number of permutations by 6: 8*6*4 / (6) = 32 combinations.

I understand uptil the last part but I don't understand why we're diving by 6? Can anyone clarify this for me?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Bunuel, i like the way u use quick formulas for permutations and combinations..can u let me know how can i get these formulas? i want to strengthen my skills on this subject..

Thanks!
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618579 [4]
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
vdixit wrote:
Bunuel, i like the way u use quick formulas for permutations and combinations..can u let me know how can i get these formulas? i want to strengthen my skills on this subject..

Thanks!

Probability and Combinatorics chapters of Math Book:

math-probability-87244.html
math-combinatorics-87345.html

You can also see Probability and Combinatorics questions to practice at: viewforumtags.php

Hope it helps.
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: Aidha
Own Kudos [?]: 190 [0]
Given Kudos: 43
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GMAT 1: 680 Q46 V37
GMAT 2: 620 Q49 V27
GMAT 3: 700 Q49 V36
WE:Other (Other)
Send PM
Bunuel wrote:
The third way is also valid, but you should divide 8C1x6C1x4C1 by 3! to get rid of duplications.

With 8C1x6C1x4C1 you can have ABC members as well as BCA members, which is basically the same group.

Bunnel, how you came to the conclusion that 8C1x6C1x4C1 should be divided by 3! to get rid of duplications. Why not 4! or 2!. Please explain.
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618579 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
GMATmission wrote:
Bunnel, how you came to the conclusion that 8C1x6C1x4C1 should be divided by 3! to get rid of duplications. Why not 4! or 2!. Please explain.

We divide by the number of members in the committee, so by 3!.

Consider this: 8C1*6C1*4C1 will give you all committees of ABC possible - (ABC), (ACB), (BAC), (BCA), (CAB) and (CBS) which are the SAME committee of 3 (3 distinct letters can be arranged in 3! ways). So we should divided 8C1*6C1*4C1 by 3!.

This question and the same doubt you have is also discussed here: https://gmatclub.com/forum/if-there-are- ... 99992.html

Similar questions to practice:
https://gmatclub.com/forum/ps-combinations-94068.html
https://gmatclub.com/forum/ps-combinations-101784.html
https://gmatclub.com/forum/committee-of-88772.html
https://gmatclub.com/forum/if-4-people-a ... 99055.html
https://gmatclub.com/forum/combination-p ... 98533.html

Hope it helps.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1820 [3]
Given Kudos: 11
Concentration: Marketing, Finance
GPA: 3.23
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
How many ways to select 3 of the pairs with representative in the group from 4 pairs? 4!/3!1! = 4
How many ways to select a representative from each pair? 2 x 2 x 2 = 8
\(4*8 = 32\)

Answer: C
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2467 [4]
Given Kudos: 185
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
shikhar wrote:
There are four distinct pairs of brothers and sisters. In how many ways can a committee of 3 be formed and NOT have siblings in it?

(A) 8
(B) 24
(C) 32
(D) 56
(E) 80

I got 32 with 4c3 * 2*2*2.
But why is 8c1 * 6c1 * 4c1 wrong ??/
Someone please explain ...

You need to divide \(C^8_1*C^6_1*C^4_1\)with \(3!\) to eliminate the duplicates (as the order in the arrangement does not matter).

Number of ways a committee of 3 be formed and NOT have siblings in it = \(\frac{C^8_1*C^6_1*C^4_1}{3!} = \frac{8*6*4}{6}=32\)

Hence choice(C) is the answer.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 193 [1]
Given Kudos: 120
Concentration: Technology, Marketing
Send PM
Kudos
we can select 8 people for 1st place, 6 for second (only one from pair can be selected) and , 4 for 3rd
So we can have total = 8*6*4 = 192
Now in above calculation, we have counted all no of ways. (ABC is different from ABE) so we have to divide the above value with no of ways we can select 3 people

No. of ways to select 3 people = 3!

so 192/3! = 32
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Status:GMAT/GRE Tutor l Admission Consultant l On-Demand Course creator
Own Kudos [?]: 13376 [2]
Given Kudos: 124
GMAT: QUANT+DI EXPERT
Schools: IIM (A) ISB '24
GMAT 1: 750 Q51 V41
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Kudos