Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 30 Aug 2014, 16:53

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

If vertices of a triangle have coordinates (-2,2), (3,2) and

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
3 KUDOS received
SVP
SVP
Schools: CBS
WE 1: 4 years (Consulting)
Followers: 30

Kudos [?]: 228 [3] , given: 2

GMAT Tests User
If vertices of a triangle have coordinates (-2,2), (3,2) and [#permalink] New post 10 Aug 2009, 01:25
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

65% (hard)

Question Stats:

29% (01:00) correct 71% (01:26) wrong based on 347 sessions
If vertices of a triangle have coordinates (-2,2), (3,2) and (x,y), what is the area of the triangle?

(1) |y-2|=1
(2) Angle at the vertex (x,y) equals to 90 degrees
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

The sky is the limit
800 is the limit

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

SVP
SVP
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 71 [0], given: 39

Re: vertices of a triangle [#permalink] New post 10 Aug 2009, 01:53
noboru wrote:
If vertices of a triangle have coordinates (-2,2), (3,2) and (x,y), what is the area of the triangle?

A) |y-2|=1
B) angle at the vertex (x,y) equals to 90 degrees

PS: 1 day to go!!!

first: good luck and wish you a 750+ :)

from 1

suff either ways if we took the distance bet (-2,2),(3,2) as the base the height is either ways 1 unit

from 2

though i am not quite sure , id say insuff

A
SVP
SVP

Kudos [?]: 228 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: vertices of a triangle [#permalink] New post 10 Aug 2009, 02:40
yezz wrote:
noboru wrote:

A) |y-2|=1

from 1

suff either ways if we took the distance bet (-2,2),(3,2) as the base the height is either ways 1 unit

from 2

A

hi, thanks!

OK, lets do this one:

I agree: from 1 is suff since you know the height.

But, from 2: I think that there´s only one triangle you can draw that, with 2 points fixed (-2,2 and 3,2), the other vertex has 90 degrees...

The sky is the limit
800 is the limit

SVP
SVP

Kudos [?]: 71 [0], given: 39

Re: vertices of a triangle [#permalink] New post 10 Aug 2009, 02:48
noboru wrote:
yezz wrote:
noboru wrote:

A) |y-2|=1

from 1

from 2

A

hi, thanks!

OK, lets do this one:

I agree: from 1 is suff since you know the height.

But, from 2: I think that there´s only one triangle you can draw that, with 2 points fixed (-2,2 and 3,2), the other vertex has 90 degrees...

actually there r 2 ( yours and its reflection ) however, can we get the area ( ie either the lenght of the 2 perpen sides or the known base and the hight from the right angle) we need to know x,y.

i tried using the slopes of the 2 perpend sides however i couldnt deduct any values...???

also , after some thought i think there is more than 2 possible right angled triangles with (-2,2) call it point a and (3,2) call it point b, point c ( the right angeld can be closer to a or to be as well

Last edited by yezz on 10 Aug 2009, 07:21, edited 1 time in total.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Affiliations: ACA, CPA
Schools: BC
WE 1: Big4, Audit
WE 2: Banking

Kudos [?]: 34 [0], given: 41

GMAT Tests User
Re: vertices of a triangle [#permalink] New post 10 Aug 2009, 04:05
Tricky one.. what the source

I think B is also Suff

heres how

with 2 points fixed (-2,2 and 3,2) the distance between the x axis is 5. Now we take 2 points x,y and that will make the line with co-ordinates (-2,2 and 3,2) as the hypotenuse

Now we know for a right angled triangle with hypotenuse 5 the other 2 sides must be 3,4
3^2 + 4^2 = 5^2

So we can can get the area.
What do you think guys.

Good luck noburu.. u threw some good CR questions in the forum. Cheers!

If you have made mistakes, there is always another chance for you. You may have a fresh start any moment you choose, for this thing we call "failure" is not the falling down, but the staying down.

SVP
SVP

Kudos [?]: 228 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: vertices of a triangle [#permalink] New post 10 Aug 2009, 05:01
snipertrader wrote:

I think B is also Suff

heres how

with 2 points fixed (-2,2 and 3,2) the distance between the x axis is 5. Now we take 2 points x,y and that will make the line with co-ordinates (-2,2 and 3,2) as the hypotenuse

Now we know for a right angled triangle with hypotenuse 5 the other 2 sides must be 3,4
3^2 + 4^2 = 5^2

What do you think guys.

i am definetly with you, but OA seems to be A :?

As i have already said, if 2 points are fixed, and you wanna draw a right angle with the other vertex, there´s only one option (ok, yezz, u win, actually 2 taking into account its reflection).

The sky is the limit
800 is the limit

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

Re: vertices of a triangle [#permalink] New post 10 Aug 2009, 07:44
C

Statement 1:
Thrid vertex is (x,3) or (x,-3)

The area of the triangle varies if x is 0 or x is 2. So not sufficient

Statement 2: If the angle is right angle.
We can formulate one equation
The 3 points can be points on the circle with (-2,2) and (3,2) as the ends of the diameter.

We cannot solve for x,y using this 1 equation.
Bother St 1 and St 2:
We can calculate the area with both the equations, we can substitued y as 3 or -3. The area will be same for both values of y.
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 4 [1] , given: 0

Re: vertices of a triangle [#permalink] New post 04 Aug 2010, 07:42
This post received
KUDOS
I think i understand why (2) is not sufficient. If we take the points (-2,2), (3,2) as a diameter of a circle and the point (x,y) lies on the perimeter of the circle, then any triangle formed is a right-angled triangle but with different height, therefore producing different areas. What do you think?
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
GMAT 1: 610 Q42 V34
GPA: 3.85
WE: Sales (Commercial Banking)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 33 [0], given: 3

Re: vertices of a triangle [#permalink] New post 04 Aug 2010, 10:32
I go with B

From the question stem we get a fix line that could be either the base, hypothenuse or a side of the mentioned triangle. To find out which part of the triangle this line is we need one value for x and one for Y.

From statement 1, Y can get two values for Y, and it mentions nothing with regards to X . Not suff

From statement 2, we get that the angle in the triangle has a 90 degree angle, and since we have already the sides of each of the triangle´s base and height, it is sufficient to determine the area.

Hope was clear
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

Re: vertices of a triangle [#permalink] New post 09 Aug 2010, 08:43
ok before i move the answer i see lots of A's over here
i am confused on
|y-2|=1
this means y can take 2 values in two cases which means 2 answers
so is it really sufficient?
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 1

Re: vertices of a triangle [#permalink] New post 11 Aug 2010, 22:56
My Opinion:
1. Since Y can take two values, this is not suff. as many others posted.
2. It is sufficient because there will be only two triangles possible with the same base having third angle as 90 degrees. Say one above the base and one below and both will have same area.

@Pipp: How can you draw two triangles with different height in one circle?
I think the circumcircle for triangles with different heights will be different. Am I wrong?

"Not everyone who works hard succeeds. But all those who succeeded have worked hard!" ~~ Coach Kamogawa

Best,
ItsNotOver

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 10

Re: vertices of a triangle [#permalink] New post 01 Sep 2010, 11:18
noboru wrote:
snipertrader wrote:

I think B is also Suff

heres how

3^2 + 4^2 = 5^2

What do you think guys.

i am definetly with you, but OA seems to be A :?

As i have already said, if 2 points are fixed, and you wanna draw a right angle with the other vertex, there´s only one option (ok, yezz, u win, actually 2 taking into account its reflection).

Think of line joining two given vertices as diameter of a triangle, then if third angle is 90, it will be point lying on circle. Hust draw various third vertix and see that as base (diameter) remains same, height may vary.
Director
Director
Affiliations: IIT, Purdue, PhD, TauBetaPi
Schools: Wharton, Sloan, Chicago, Haas
WE 1: 8 years in Oil&Gas
Followers: 14

Kudos [?]: 71 [0], given: 15

GMAT Tests User
Re: vertices of a triangle [#permalink] New post 01 Sep 2010, 11:41
The answer is A. If you imagine the line joining the 2 points in question as the diameter then there are infinite triangles one can draw whose vertex is on the semicircle with different heights. Not suff. Hence A.

Posted from my mobile device Image

Consider kudos, they are good for health

Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 39 [0], given: 9

GMAT Tests User
Re: vertices of a triangle [#permalink] New post 02 Sep 2010, 00:42
D

From st-1 (x,y) could be (x,3) or (x,1).
Other two points are located in the line Y=2 you know height and base. Suff.

From st-2: xy is right angle.. so there will be only two such points... however this is out of GMAT scope but should be sufficient.
Expert Post
13 KUDOS received
Math Expert
Followers: 3419

Kudos [?]: 25106 [13] , given: 2702

Re: vertices of a triangle [#permalink] New post 02 Sep 2010, 04:45
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
noboru wrote:

(1) |y-2|=1
(2) angle at the vertex (x,y) equals to 90 degrees

Given two points A(-2,2) and B(3,2). Question: Area ABC=?, where C(x,y).
Attachment:
render.php (1).png
render.php (1).png [ 17.42 KiB | Viewed 5902 times ]

(1) |y-2|=1 --> y=3 or y=1 --> vertex C could be anywhere on the blue line y=3 or anywhere on the red line y=1. But in ANY case the are of ABC will be the same --> area=\frac{1}{2}*base*height so base=AB=5 and the height would be 1 for any point C (see two possible locations of C: C1 and C2, the heights of ABC1 and ABC2 are the same and equal to 1) --> area=\frac{1}{2}*base*height=\frac{5}{2}. Sufficient.

(2) angle at the vertex C(x,y) equals to 90 degrees --> ABC is a right triangle with hypotenuse AB --> consider AB to be diameter of a circle and in this case C could be anywhere on the circle and it will be right angle (if the diameter of the circle is also the inscribed triangle’s side, then that triangle is a right triangle), thus height of ABC will be different for different location of point C, resulting the different areas (see two possible locations of of C: C3 and C4, heights of ABC3 and ABC4 are different). Not sufficient.

Answer: A.

Hope it heps.

NEW TO MATH FORUM? PLEASE READ THIS: ALL YOU NEED FOR QUANT!!!

PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 11 Rules for Posting!!!

RESOURCES: [GMAT MATH BOOK]; 1. Triangles; 2. Polygons; 3. Coordinate Geometry; 4. Factorials; 5. Circles; 6. Number Theory; 7. Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets; 9. PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders; 11. GMAT Prep Software Analysis NEW!!!; 12. SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) NEW!!!; 12. Tricky questions from previous years. NEW!!!;

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS ; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

What are GMAT Club Tests?
25 extra-hard Quant Tests

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 119 [0], given: 136

Re: vertices of a triangle [#permalink] New post 07 Jun 2013, 23:42
Bunuel wrote:

(1) |y-2|=1 --> y=3 or y=1 --> vertex C could be anywhere on the blue line y=3 or anywhere on the red line y=1. But in ANY case the are of ABC will be the same --> area=\frac{1}{2}*base*height so base=AB=5 and the height would be 1 for any point C (see two possible locations of C: C1 and C2, the heights of ABC1 and ABC2 are the same and equal to 1) --> area=\frac{1}{2}*base*height=\frac{5}{2}. Sufficient.

Can someone please explain the Red Part. Why height of C2 will be 1.
Thanks

+1 Kudos me, Help me unlocking GMAT Club Tests

VP
VP
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.8
Followers: 112

Kudos [?]: 1136 [0], given: 219

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: vertices of a triangle [#permalink] New post 07 Jun 2013, 23:50
imhimanshu wrote:

Thanks

We have the three points (-2,2), (3,2) and (x,y).

A) |y-2|=1

This tells us that the y coordinate of (x,y) is 1 away from y=2. What does it mean? It means that the point will have a coordinate in the form of (x,3) or (x,1).

Given the base from the points (-2,2), (3,2), that equals 5, in both cases the heigth will be 1. The first two points are on the y=2 line, and the third will be 1 "away" from it, on y=1 or on y=3.
So the area will be the same in both cases \frac{base*height}{2}, the base will not change and the height is 1

It is beyond a doubt that all our knowledge that begins with experience.

Kant , Critique of Pure Reason

Tips and tricks: Inequalities , Mixture | Review: MGMAT workshop
Strategy: SmartGMAT v1.0 | Questions: Verbal challenge SC I-II- CR New SC set out !! , My Quant

Rules for Posting in the Verbal Forum - Rules for Posting in the Quant Forum[/size][/color][/b]

Expert Post
Math Expert
Followers: 3419

Kudos [?]: 25106 [0], given: 2702

Re: vertices of a triangle [#permalink] New post 08 Jun 2013, 02:16
Expert's post
imhimanshu wrote:
Bunuel wrote:

Thanks

Consider triangle ABC_1: the height is the distance (perpendicular) from C_1 to AB, which is 1;
Consider triangle ABC_2: the height is the distance (perpendicular) from C_2 to AB, which is 1.

Hope it's clear.

NEW TO MATH FORUM? PLEASE READ THIS: ALL YOU NEED FOR QUANT!!!

PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 11 Rules for Posting!!!

RESOURCES: [GMAT MATH BOOK]; 1. Triangles; 2. Polygons; 3. Coordinate Geometry; 4. Factorials; 5. Circles; 6. Number Theory; 7. Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets; 9. PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders; 11. GMAT Prep Software Analysis NEW!!!; 12. SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) NEW!!!; 12. Tricky questions from previous years. NEW!!!;

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS ; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

What are GMAT Club Tests?
25 extra-hard Quant Tests

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Followers: 41

Kudos [?]: 561 [1] , given: 135

Premium Member
Re: vertices of a triangle [#permalink] New post 15 Jun 2013, 04:57
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Bunuel wrote:
imhimanshu wrote:
Bunuel wrote:

Thanks

Consider triangle ABC_1: the height is the distance (perpendicular) from C_1 to AB, which is 1;
Consider triangle ABC_2: the height is the distance (perpendicular) from C_2 to AB, which is 1.

Hope it's clear.

Nothing to add after Bunuel's explanation. This link might help as a visual aid.
Any number of triangles with the same base and between 2 parallel lines will always have the same area.

All that is equal and not-Deep Dive In-equality

Hit and Trial for Integral Solutions

Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Marketing
GPA: 3.49
WE: Web Development (Computer Software)

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 6

Re: If vertices of a triangle have coordinates (-2,2), (3,2) and [#permalink] New post 18 Jun 2013, 09:04
noboru wrote:

A) |y-2|=1

dude here's my take and this contradicts ur QA :(

s1: this gives two values for Y i.e. 3 and -1 so its insufficient as we dont know any info other than this we need to know either value or x or the nature of triange.
s2: now given angle is 90, here if the angle is 90 then we get a equation from slope, two variables and one equation so again NS

now consider s1 and s2, we have y two values and each of which will yield 2 different values for x : for example

use slope form y2-y1/ x2-x1 => u get equation as x2 - x-5= 0 :(
so again NS :(
please correct me if im wrong
Re: If vertices of a triangle have coordinates (-2,2), (3,2) and   [#permalink] 18 Jun 2013, 09:04