Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 16 Apr 2014, 17:17

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

If w + z = 28, what is the value of wz

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Joined: 14 Jul 2012
Posts: 8
Location: Canada
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
WE: Sales (Other)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 4

If w + z = 28, what is the value of wz [#permalink] New post 22 Mar 2013, 09:14
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  15% (low)

Question Stats:

81% (01:45) correct 18% (00:36) wrong based on 122 sessions
If w + z = 28, what is the value of wz

(1) w and z are positive integers
(2) w and z are consecutive odd integers
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Last edited by Bunuel on 22 Mar 2013, 12:19, edited 1 time in total.
Edited the question.
1 KUDOS received
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
User avatar
Joined: 11 Dec 2012
Posts: 313
Followers: 49

Kudos [?]: 160 [1] , given: 66

Re: if w + Z = 28, what is the value of wz [#permalink] New post 22 Mar 2013, 10:21
1
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
GMAThirst wrote:
if w + Z = 28, what is the value of wz

1. w and z are positive integers
2. w and z are consecutive odd integers


Hi GMAThirst, let's examine these statements one at a time:

1. w and z are positive integers.
We know that both must be positive, so this eliminates 30 and -2, but it could be 1 and 27, 2 and 26, 3 and 25, etc. All of which have different products (1x27=27, 2x26=52, etc) A is insufficient on its own

2. w and z are consecutive odd integers
This would have to be 13 and 15. No other positive consecutive odd integers would add up to 28. Statement A makes us wonder about negative numbers, what about -13 and -15? Well they would add up to -28, which isn't the same as +28, so they're out as possibilities. What about other negative consecutive odd integers? Nothing is ever going to give you anything other than a negative number, so no negative numbers could work here. Statement 2 is thus sufficient on its own, with no need to bring in statement #1. (w*z must be either 13*15 or 15*13, either way giving the answer of 195 by commutativity)

Answer: B.

Hope this helps!
-Ron
_________________

Ron Awad
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses and Admissions Consulting Services
Veritas Prep Reviews

VP
VP
User avatar
Status: Far, far away!
Joined: 02 Sep 2012
Posts: 1125
Location: Italy
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.8
Followers: 92

Kudos [?]: 998 [0], given: 219

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: if w + Z = 28, what is the value of wz [#permalink] New post 22 Mar 2013, 10:21
1. w and z are positive integers; thay can be any number < 27 as long as w+z=28

w=1, z=27

wz=27

w=2 ,z=26

wz=52

....

Not sufficient

2. w and z are consecutive odd integers; so they can be only 15 and 13

w=13, z =15

wz=195

z=13 ,w =15

wz=195

Sufficient

B
_________________

It is beyond a doubt that all our knowledge that begins with experience.

Kant , Critique of Pure Reason

Tips and tricks: Inequalities , Mixture | Review: MGMAT workshop
Strategy: SmartGMAT v1.0 | Questions: Verbal challenge SC I-II- CR New SC set out !! , My Quant

Rules for Posting in the Verbal Forum - Rules for Posting in the Quant Forum[/size][/color][/b]

Intern
Intern
Joined: 14 Jul 2012
Posts: 8
Location: Canada
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
WE: Sales (Other)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 4

Re: if w + Z = 28, what is the value of wz [#permalink] New post 22 Mar 2013, 10:47
Thanks VeritasPrepRon
2 KUDOS received
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
User avatar
Joined: 11 Dec 2012
Posts: 313
Followers: 49

Kudos [?]: 160 [2] , given: 66

Re: if w + Z = 28, what is the value of wz [#permalink] New post 22 Mar 2013, 11:13
2
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
No problemo!

Just to clarify one thing. Two consecutive odd numbers adding up to 28 must be 13 and 15, but if the numbers get unwieldy, such as w+z = 280, just divide the sum by 2 and then take the numbers on either side. In other words, the two numbers need to average out to that, so it would be 139 and 141 in this example. Obviously, since this is the GMAT, the numbers will lead you to an even integer so you can take the odd ones on either side.

This is the same principle for dividing by 3 or any other number, you just need to divide by the number of terms. Ex: w + x + z = 279. What are the 3 consecutive odd integers that form w, x and z: 279 /3 = 93. The three odd numbers would be 91, 93 and 95, so that they average out to 93.

Hope this helps on questions like this when the numbers aren't so easy to spot!
-Ron
_________________

Ron Awad
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses and Admissions Consulting Services
Veritas Prep Reviews

Math Expert
User avatar
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 17283
Followers: 2868

Kudos [?]: 18334 [0], given: 2345

GMAT Tests User CAT Tests
Re: If w + z = 28, what is the value of wz [#permalink] New post 22 Mar 2013, 12:23
Expert's post
If w + z = 28, what is the value of wz

(1) w and z are positive integers. Infinitely many values are possible for w and z, for example: ..., (-1, 29), (0, 28), (1, 27), ... Not sufficient.

(2) w and z are consecutive odd integers. So, we have that 28 is the sum of two consecutive odd integers: x+(x+2)=28 (where x is an odd integer) --> x=13. So, either w=13 and z=15 OR w=15 and z=13. In any case, wz=13*15. Sufficient.

Answer: B.
_________________

NEW TO MATH FORUM? PLEASE READ THIS: ALL YOU NEED FOR QUANT!!!

PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 11 Rules for Posting!!!

RESOURCES: [GMAT MATH BOOK]; 1. Triangles; 2. Polygons; 3. Coordinate Geometry; 4. Factorials; 5. Circles; 6. Number Theory; 7. Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets; 9. PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders; 11. GMAT Prep Software Analysis NEW!!!; 12. SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) NEW!!!; 12. Tricky questions from previous years. NEW!!!;

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS ; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.


What are GMAT Club Tests?
25 extra-hard Quant Tests

Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 12 Jan 2013
Posts: 247
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 47

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: If w + z = 28, what is the value of wz [#permalink] New post 18 Jul 2013, 23:47
Quote:
(1) w and z are positive integers
(2) w and z are consecutive odd integers


I understand why statment 2 alone is sufficent in this example, but what if we were told that "w + z = |28|" would that mean the answer is C as statment 2 in itself is insufficent (w and z could be -15, -13 or 13, 15) but with statment 1 we can solve the stem (since only 13 and 15 are left).


Have I understood it correctly?
Math Expert
User avatar
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 17283
Followers: 2868

Kudos [?]: 18334 [0], given: 2345

GMAT Tests User CAT Tests
Re: If w + z = 28, what is the value of wz [#permalink] New post 19 Jul 2013, 00:02
Expert's post
aeglorre wrote:
Quote:
(1) w and z are positive integers
(2) w and z are consecutive odd integers


I understand why statment 2 alone is sufficent in this example, but what if we were told that "w + z = |28|" would that mean the answer is C as statment 2 in itself is insufficent (w and z could be -15, -13 or 13, 15) but with statment 1 we can solve the stem (since only 13 and 15 are left).


Have I understood it correctly?


No. |28|=28, so w + z = |28| is the same as w + z = 28.

Guess, you meant: |w + z| = 28. Now, if the question were: "|w + z| = 28, what is the value of wz?", the correct answer would still be B. From |w + z| = 28 and w and z are consecutive odd integers, it follows that the integers can be 13 and 15 OR -13 and -15. In any case wz = 195.

Hope it's clear.
_________________

NEW TO MATH FORUM? PLEASE READ THIS: ALL YOU NEED FOR QUANT!!!

PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 11 Rules for Posting!!!

RESOURCES: [GMAT MATH BOOK]; 1. Triangles; 2. Polygons; 3. Coordinate Geometry; 4. Factorials; 5. Circles; 6. Number Theory; 7. Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets; 9. PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders; 11. GMAT Prep Software Analysis NEW!!!; 12. SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) NEW!!!; 12. Tricky questions from previous years. NEW!!!;

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS ; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.


What are GMAT Club Tests?
25 extra-hard Quant Tests

Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 12 Jan 2013
Posts: 247
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 47

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: If w + z = 28, what is the value of wz [#permalink] New post 19 Jul 2013, 00:08
Bunuel wrote:
aeglorre wrote:
Quote:
(1) w and z are positive integers
(2) w and z are consecutive odd integers


I understand why statment 2 alone is sufficent in this example, but what if we were told that "w + z = |28|" would that mean the answer is C as statment 2 in itself is insufficent (w and z could be -15, -13 or 13, 15) but with statment 1 we can solve the stem (since only 13 and 15 are left).


Have I understood it correctly?


No. |28|=28, so w + z = |28| is the same as w + z = 28.

Guess, you meant: |w + z| = 28. Now, if the question were: "|w + z| = 28, what is the value of wz?", the correct answer would still be B. From |w + z| = 28 and w and z are consecutive odd integers, it follows that the integers can be 13 and 15 OR -13 and -15. In any case wz = 195.

Hope it's clear.


It is very clear - in my assumption I completely missed that what they asked was not for me to know what w and z in theirselves are, but what the PRODUCT of the two is. Since the PRODUCT of the two is the same irrespective of if both are positive or negative, B is sufficent.

Thanks a lot, there are severe flaws in my understanding, intuition and knowledge of concept but you're helping me a great deal.
Intern
Intern
Joined: 13 Oct 2013
Posts: 14
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 5

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: if w + Z = 28, what is the value of wz [#permalink] New post 30 Nov 2013, 17:51
VeritasPrepRon wrote:
GMAThirst wrote:
if w + Z = 28, what is the value of wz

1. w and z are positive integers
2. w and z are consecutive odd integers


Hi GMAThirst, let's examine these statements one at a time:

1. w and z are positive integers.
We know that both must be positive, so this eliminates 30 and -2, but it could be 1 and 27, 2 and 26, 3 and 25, etc. All of which have different products (1x27=27, 2x26=52, etc) A is insufficient on its own

2. w and z are consecutive odd integers
This would have to be 13 and 15. No other positive consecutive odd integers would add up to 28. Statement A makes us wonder about negative numbers, what about -13 and -15? Well they would add up to -28, which isn't the same as +28, so they're out as possibilities. What about other negative consecutive odd integers? Nothing is ever going to give you anything other than a negative number, so no negative numbers could work here. Statement 2 is thus sufficient on its own, with no need to bring in statement #1. (w*z must be either 13*15 or 15*13, either way giving the answer of 195 by commutativity)

Answer: B.

Hope this helps!
-Ron



But statement 2 does not say anything about positive or negative odd integers.So why we are considering positive consecutive odd integers here.In that way are we not taking statement 1 into consideration and which leads to answer C?
Please clarify.
_________________

<a href="http://gmatclub.com/forum/viewforumtags.php?sid=ea02c74d77a9ca83f3d24612723e4c68"> GMAT Club Question Bank </a>

Math Expert
User avatar
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 17283
Followers: 2868

Kudos [?]: 18334 [0], given: 2345

GMAT Tests User CAT Tests
Re: if w + Z = 28, what is the value of wz [#permalink] New post 01 Dec 2013, 06:17
Expert's post
sunita123 wrote:
VeritasPrepRon wrote:
GMAThirst wrote:
if w + Z = 28, what is the value of wz

1. w and z are positive integers
2. w and z are consecutive odd integers


Hi GMAThirst, let's examine these statements one at a time:

1. w and z are positive integers.
We know that both must be positive, so this eliminates 30 and -2, but it could be 1 and 27, 2 and 26, 3 and 25, etc. All of which have different products (1x27=27, 2x26=52, etc) A is insufficient on its own

2. w and z are consecutive odd integers
This would have to be 13 and 15. No other positive consecutive odd integers would add up to 28. Statement A makes us wonder about negative numbers, what about -13 and -15? Well they would add up to -28, which isn't the same as +28, so they're out as possibilities. What about other negative consecutive odd integers? Nothing is ever going to give you anything other than a negative number, so no negative numbers could work here. Statement 2 is thus sufficient on its own, with no need to bring in statement #1. (w*z must be either 13*15 or 15*13, either way giving the answer of 195 by commutativity)

Answer: B.

Hope this helps!
-Ron



But statement 2 does not say anything about positive or negative odd integers.So why we are considering positive consecutive odd integers here.In that way are we not taking statement 1 into consideration and which leads to answer C?
Please clarify.


Please check here: if-w-z-28-what-is-the-value-of-wz-149627.html#p1201241 You can see there that we can find w and z even not knowing their signs.
_________________

NEW TO MATH FORUM? PLEASE READ THIS: ALL YOU NEED FOR QUANT!!!

PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 11 Rules for Posting!!!

RESOURCES: [GMAT MATH BOOK]; 1. Triangles; 2. Polygons; 3. Coordinate Geometry; 4. Factorials; 5. Circles; 6. Number Theory; 7. Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets; 9. PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders; 11. GMAT Prep Software Analysis NEW!!!; 12. SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) NEW!!!; 12. Tricky questions from previous years. NEW!!!;

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS ; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.


What are GMAT Club Tests?
25 extra-hard Quant Tests

Re: if w + Z = 28, what is the value of wz   [#permalink] 01 Dec 2013, 06:17
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
New posts two lines W,Z in xy plane, is the slope of W<=Z? 1)W marine 4 20 Sep 2004, 21:50
New posts If w=4x, 2x=3y, and z=y/w, then w/z = christoph 4 12 Nov 2004, 10:04
New posts 1 w+z? joyseychow 5 17 Dec 2009, 22:16
New posts 2 Experts publish their posts in the topic If w and z are positive is w/z < 1 ? xmagedo 7 25 Jul 2010, 23:58
New posts 4 Experts publish their posts in the topic If w+ z = 28, what is the value of wz? Bunuel 7 13 Jan 2014, 00:58
Display posts from previous: Sort by

If w + z = 28, what is the value of wz

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.