Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 30 Sep 2014, 20:18

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

If we choose 4 people randomly, find the probability (in %)

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
GPA: 3.89
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 44 [0], given: 25

If we choose 4 people randomly, find the probability (in %) [#permalink] New post 21 May 2011, 23:08
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

55% (hard)

Question Stats:

55% (03:19) correct 45% (01:07) wrong based on 33 sessions
If we choose 4 people randomly, find the probability (in %) that none of their birthdays fall on the same day of the week

(a) 23
(b) 35
(c) 38
(d) 27
(e) None of the foregoing
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

If you liked my post, please consider a Kudos for me. Thanks!

Current Student
Followers: 18

Kudos [?]: 113 [0], given: 13

Re: If we choose 4 people randomly, find the probability (in %) [#permalink] New post 21 May 2011, 23:13
hussi9 wrote:
If we choose 4 people randomly,find the probability (in %) that none of their birthdays fall on the same day of the week

(a) 23 (b) 35 (c) 38 (d) 27 (e) None of the foregoing

7P4/7^4
7*6*5*4/7*7*7*7
120/343 =
hence B
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 44 [1] , given: 25

Re: If we choose 4 people randomly, find the probability (in %) [#permalink] New post 21 May 2011, 23:14
This post received
KUDOS
Solution

[Reveal] Spoiler:
We can choose 4 different days out of 7 days in 7C4 ways. Now these 4 days can be given to 4 people in 4! ways.
So possible ways are = 4! * 7C4
Total no of ways is 7*7*7*7(all 4 can have any day as B'day) = 7^4
Probability Percentage is [(4! * 7C4)/7^4]*100 = 35
Hence, choice (b) is the right option

Manager
Manager

Re: If we choose 4 people randomly, find the probability (in %) [#permalink] New post 21 May 2011, 23:16
sudhir18n wrote:
hussi9 wrote:
If we choose 4 people randomly,find the probability (in %) that none of their birthdays fall on the same day of the week

7P4/7^4
7*6*5*4/7*7*7*7
120/343 =
hence B[/quote

Your solutions seems simpler

Current Student

Re: If we choose 4 people randomly, find the probability (in %) [#permalink] New post 21 May 2011, 23:33
hussi9 wrote:
sudhir18n wrote:
hussi9 wrote:

7P4/7^4
7*6*5*4/7*7*7*7
120/343 =
hence B[/quote

Your solutions seems simpler

Whats the source of your questions?
Manager
Manager

Re: If we choose 4 people randomly, find the probability (in %) [#permalink] New post 21 May 2011, 23:34
I have some question bank for IIM CAT , Indian MBA Exam.

Current Student

Re: If we choose 4 people randomly, find the probability (in %) [#permalink] New post 21 May 2011, 23:49
hussi9 wrote:

IIM CAT is supposedly notches ahead of GMAT Quants. If I were you I would avoid doing LOD 2/3 questions of CAT.
Its good to know the concept and use it but what I know and hear is that probability questions are very very rare on GMAT.

All the best
Manager
Manager

Re: If we choose 4 people randomly, find the probability (in %) [#permalink] New post 22 May 2011, 00:01
sudhir18n wrote:
hussi9 wrote:

IIM CAT is supposedly notches ahead of GMAT Quants. If I were you I would avoid doing LOD 2/3 questions of CAT.
Its good to know the concept and use it but what I know and hear is that probability questions are very very rare on GMAT.

All the best

I am just going though Question to get a taste of different types of questions... So that there are on surprises on GMAT.
Also it feels good...

But I get your point ... I will put less of probability questions...

CEO
CEO
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
Schools: ISB '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 670 Q49 V31
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V35
Followers: 180

Kudos [?]: 956 [0], given: 235

Reviews Badge
Re: If we choose 4 people randomly, find the probability (in %) [#permalink] New post 22 May 2011, 00:16
I think this question was not that tough for Gmat. But be vary of IIM questions. Instead of wasting your time to improve q50 to q51 , better improve verbal.

Increment in verbal score improve the overall score more than the same in quant score.

For quant, DS is the tricky part. So make sure you do spend considerable time on it. PS won't give you much surprises.

Fight for your dreams :For all those who fear from Verbal- lets give it a fight

Money Saved is the Money Earned :)

Jo Bole So Nihaal , Sat Shri Akaal

:thanks Support GMAT Club by putting a GMAT Club badge on your blog/Facebook :thanks

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Gmat test review :
670-to-710-a-long-journey-without-destination-still-happy-141642.html

Manager
Manager

Re: If we choose 4 people randomly, find the probability (in %) [#permalink] New post 22 May 2011, 00:23
gurpreetsingh wrote:
I think this question was not that tough for Gmat. But be vary of IIM questions. Instead of wasting your time to improve q50 to q51 , better improve verbal.

Increment in verbal score improve the overall score more than the same in quant score.

For quant, DS is the tricky part. So make sure you do spend considerable time on it. PS won't give you much surprises.

I think thats great advice ... Will keep that in Mind....

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Kelley,Tepper,Carlson,Kenan Flager,Broad
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 117 [0], given: 22

Re: If we choose 4 people randomly, find the probability (in %) [#permalink] New post 22 May 2011, 01:37
Ya good advice gurpreetsingh.
I was wondering about how much effort should i give to probability? I am not all that comfortable with probability..often mix up few conceptual stuff. Should i master probability or just be able to solve elementary level questions on probability?

My dad once said to me: Son, nothing succeeds like success.

CEO
CEO
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
Schools: ISB '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 670 Q49 V31
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V35
Followers: 180

Kudos [?]: 956 [0], given: 235

Reviews Badge
Re: If we choose 4 people randomly, find the probability (in %) [#permalink] New post 22 May 2011, 07:23
jamifahad wrote:
I was wondering about how much effort should i give to probability? I am not all that comfortable with probability..often mix up few conceptual stuff. Should i master probability or just be able to solve elementary level questions on probability?

you should definitely study probability and combinations, but do not spend too much time on them. I think 1-2 days should be sufficient.

Fight for your dreams :For all those who fear from Verbal- lets give it a fight

Money Saved is the Money Earned :)

Jo Bole So Nihaal , Sat Shri Akaal

:thanks Support GMAT Club by putting a GMAT Club badge on your blog/Facebook :thanks

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Gmat test review :
670-to-710-a-long-journey-without-destination-still-happy-141642.html

Expert Post
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
Followers: 1132

Kudos [?]: 5171 [0], given: 164

Re: If we choose 4 people randomly, find the probability (in %) [#permalink] New post 22 May 2011, 07:45
Expert's post
jamifahad wrote:

People see 1-2 Probability and Permutation Combination questions on GMAT. If you are doing exceptionally well, you might see 2-3. This is so because these questions can be a little tricky, in the sense that you may not even doubt your answer but it could still be wrong. Possibly, one of the questions will be simple, one will be trickier.
As gurpreetsingh said above, if you have limited time, focus more on Verbal. If you do have lots of time, go ahead and freak out on Probability. At least the questions are brain teasers!

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Manager
Manager

Re: If we choose 4 people randomly, find the probability (in %) [#permalink] New post 23 May 2011, 08:27
VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:
jamifahad wrote:

People see 1-2 Probability and Permutation Combination questions on GMAT. If you are doing exceptionally well, you might see 2-3. This is so because these questions can be a little tricky, in the sense that you may not even doubt your answer but it could still be wrong. Possibly, one of the questions will be simple, one will be trickier.
As gurpreetsingh said above, if you have limited time, focus more on Verbal. If you do have lots of time, go ahead and freak out on Probability. At least the questions are brain teasers!

Using my critical reasoning skills I infer that it makes sense to ponder on P&C question only if you consistently cross 700+ mark

Am I even close to what you trying to say ?

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
Followers: 1132

Kudos [?]: 5171 [1] , given: 164

Re: If we choose 4 people randomly, find the probability (in %) [#permalink] New post 23 May 2011, 10:39
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
hussi9 wrote:
jamifahad wrote:

Using my critical reasoning skills I infer that it makes sense to ponder on P&C question only if you consistently cross 700+ mark

Well, yes it depends on where you are in the rest of the topics since they certainly have more weightage. If you are good with the others, then it makes sense to worry about tough P&C questions. It also depends on how much time you have. If you have plenty of time, once you are done with Arithmetic, Algebra and Geometry, you can spend more time on P&C.

That said, everyone should be ok with the basic P&C so that you can attempt any easy P&C question you might get.

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Manager
Manager

Re: If we choose 4 people randomly, find the probability (in %) [#permalink] New post 23 May 2011, 10:57
hussi9 wrote:

Well, yes it depends on where you are in the rest of the topics since they certainly have more weightage. If you are good with the others, then it makes sense to worry about tough P&C questions. It also depends on how much time you have. If you have plenty of time, once you are done with Arithmetic, Algebra and Geometry, you can spend more time on P&C.

That said, everyone should be ok with the basic P&C so that you can attempt any easy P&C question you might get.

@Karishma
Well then I surely have saved myself some time by posting this question.

Thank you so much. And by the way I like you blogs. Not gone though all of them but the topics are interesting

GMAT Instructor
Followers: 259

Kudos [?]: 693 [0], given: 3

Re: If we choose 4 people randomly, find the probability (in %) [#permalink] New post 23 May 2011, 12:19
Probability and Counting is just like any other subject in GMAT math: it can be easy and it can be hard. There's a myth I often see repeated in forums that you're more likely to see Probability/Counting questions at the high level of the test, and that just isn't true. If I'm remembering correctly, I had one question in the area on my last test, for example. Sometimes people see a few questions on the topic, but it's rare that it's heavily tested.

You certainly want to know the basics in the subject (which can be learned quite quickly), because you don't ever want to run the risk of answering low-level questions incorrectly on the GMAT. But using IIM questions for practice is utter overkill; it would be like using an advanced calculus book to study for GMAT algebra. Interesting as those IIM problems may be, very little of what you will learn from them will ever be applicable on the GMAT, and it's vastly more efficient just to study from dedicated GMAT materials.

Nov 2011: After years of development, I am now making my advanced Quant books and high-level problem sets available for sale. Contact me at ianstewartgmat at gmail.com for details.

Private GMAT Tutor based in Toronto

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Kelley,Tepper,Carlson,Kenan Flager,Broad
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 117 [0], given: 22

Re: If we choose 4 people randomly, find the probability (in %) [#permalink] New post 23 May 2011, 12:28
Thanks everybody for sharing wonderful insights.

If i may, i want to know how can one increase speed? I can pretty much solve all the problems but i am plagued by timing. if i hurry up i always goof up with calculations.
Sorry for asking this at wrong place. Any pointers will be appreciated.

My dad once said to me: Son, nothing succeeds like success.

VP
VP
Affiliations: PMI,QAI Global,eXampleCG
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 141 [0], given: 10

Re: If we choose 4 people randomly, find the probability (in %) [#permalink] New post 23 May 2011, 21:16
birthdays on different days = 7*6*5*4
total possibilities = 7*7*7*7

hence 7*6*5*4/ 7*7*7*7 = B

Visit -- http://www.sustainable-sphere.com/
Promote Green Business,Sustainable Living and Green Earth !!

CEO
CEO
Followers: 200

Kudos [?]: 40 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: If we choose 4 people randomly, find the probability (in %) [#permalink] New post 19 Aug 2014, 22:34
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

GMAT Books | GMAT Club Tests | Best Prices on GMAT Courses | GMAT Mobile App | Math Resources | Verbal Resources

Re: If we choose 4 people randomly, find the probability (in %)   [#permalink] 19 Aug 2014, 22:34