Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 10:36 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 10:36

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Difficulty: 555-605 Levelx   Fractions/Ratios/Decimalsx                     
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618970 [76]
Given Kudos: 81595
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618970 [14]
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 279 [2]
Given Kudos: 104
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GMAT 1: 590 Q45 V27
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 2588 [0]
Given Kudos: 567
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.88
WE:Engineering (Computer Software)
Send PM
Re: If x = 0.rstu, where r, s, t, and u each represent a nonzero digit of [#permalink]
Bunuel wrote:
The Official Guide For GMAT® Quantitative Review, 2ND Edition

If x = 0.rstu, where r, s, t, and u each represent a nonzero digit of x, what is the value of x ?

(1) r = 3s = 2t = 6u
(2) The product of r and u is equal to the product of sand t.

Statement 1) we know r,s,t and u can represent only digit, so the 1st set of values which satisfies would be
u = 1, t = 3, s = 2 and r = 6. As this is a ratio, we can increase it by multiplying by 2, but in that case, r cannot be a single digit anymore. So Sufficient.
Statement 2) we cannot determine the values. It can be 1,1,1,1 or 2,2,2,2. Not Sufficient
Hence A)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [0]
Given Kudos: 28
GMAT Date: 11-29-2014
Send PM
Re: If x = 0.rstu, where r, s, t and u each represent a nonzero [#permalink]
The examples for the S2 included 0.2211, 0.1111...above. That would mean that the digits assigned for r,s,t and u repeat. Is that allowed? The question says 'each represent a nonzero digit of x', so that does leave open the possibility for repetition, i guess. But when various variables are assigned, does that not mean that they are all different?
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618970 [1]
Send PM
Re: If x = 0.rstu, where r, s, t and u each represent a nonzero [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
deeuk wrote:
The examples for the S2 included 0.2211, 0.1111...above. That would mean that the digits assigned for r,s,t and u repeat. Is that allowed? The question says 'each represent a nonzero digit of x', so that does leave open the possibility for repetition, i guess. But when various variables are assigned, does that not mean that they are all different?

r, s, t and u each represent a nonzero digit means that neither is 0, it does not mean that they are distinct.

Generally, unless it is explicitly stated otherwise, different variables CAN represent the same number.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 45 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Send PM
Re: If x = 0.rstu, where r, s, t, and u each represent a nonzero digit of [#permalink]
(1) s = r/3; t = r/2; u = r/6
r must be 6; so s = 2; t = 3; u = 1
x = 0.6231
Sufficient

(1) ru = st
r = u = s = t = 1
x = 0.1111
r = u = s = t = 2
x = 0.2222
Insufficient

Answer A
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V45
Send PM
If x = 0.rstu, where r, s, t, and u each represent a nonzero digit of [#permalink]
Bunuel wrote:
If x = 0.rstu, where r, s, t, and u each represent a nonzero digit of x, what is the value of x ?

(1) r = 3s = 2t = 6u
(2) The product of r and u is equal to the product of sand t.

There are times when you can find the question confusing, the underlying math principles escape you, you just can't clear your head about how to tackle the question, or some combination of all three.

At those times, "Brute Force" method comes in handy. Don't use any formulas or cleaver methods to solve. Just apply what the question tells you.

(1) r = 6u: Well there are only two single digit numbers that have that relationship 6 and 1. So, r = 6 and u = 1. Which means s = 2 and t = 3.
SUFFICIENT

(2) r*u = s*t: Can we think of more than one example where that can be true. There's the example above 6, 2, 3 ,1 and there's also 8, 4, 2, 1. But not only that, we can rearrange the numbers to be 1, 3, 2, 6 and 1, 2, 4, 8.
INSUFFICIENT
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 738 [0]
Given Kudos: 69
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Send PM
Bunuel

when solving for statement 2, is it a valid assumption that RSTU digits can be same digits since question states that they are only non-zero digits?
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618970 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
Traj201090 wrote:
Bunuel

when solving for statement 2, is it a valid assumption that RSTU digits can be same digits since question states that they are only non-zero digits?

I addressed similar doubt in this post above. Let me know if that doesn't clear things up!
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 821 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Math Expert
92914 posts