Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Oct 2014, 03:36

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

If x < 0, then root({-x} •|x|) is

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 113 [0], given: 15

Reviews Badge
If x < 0, then root({-x} •|x|) is [#permalink] New post 02 Sep 2010, 12:20
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

35% (medium)

Question Stats:

52% (01:26) correct 48% (00:32) wrong based on 407 sessions
If x < 0, then \sqrt{-x*|x|}) is

A. -x
B. -1
C. 1
D. x
E. \sqrt{x}
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Last edited by Bunuel on 04 Dec 2012, 01:22, edited 2 times in total.
Edited the question
Expert Post
8 KUDOS received
Math Expert
Followers: 3614

Kudos [?]: 28941 [8] , given: 2871

Re: Square root and Modulus [#permalink] New post 02 Sep 2010, 12:47
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
udaymathapati wrote:
If x < 0, then \sqrt{-x} •|x|) is
A. -x
B. -1
C. 1
D. x
E. \sqrt{x}

1. If x<0, then \sqrt{-x*|x|} equals:

A. -x
B. -1
C. 1
D. x
E. \sqrt{x}

Remember: \sqrt{x^2}=|x|.

The point here is that square root function can not give negative result: wich means that \sqrt{some \ expression}\geq{0}.

So \sqrt{x^2}\geq{0}. But what does \sqrt{x^2} equal to?

Let's consider following examples:
If x=5 --> \sqrt{x^2}=\sqrt{25}=5=x=positive;
If x=-5 --> \sqrt{x^2}=\sqrt{25}=5=-x=positive.

So we got that:
\sqrt{x^2}=x, if x\geq{0};
\sqrt{x^2}=-x, if x<0.

What function does exactly the same thing? The absolute value function! That is why \sqrt{x^2}=|x|

Back to the original question:
\sqrt{-x*|x|}=\sqrt{(-x)*(-x)}=\sqrt{x^2}=|x|=-x

Or just substitute the value let x=-5<0 --> \sqrt{-x*|x|}=\sqrt{-(-5)*|-5|}=\sqrt{25}=5=-(-5)=-x.

Answer: A.

Hope it's clear.

NEW TO MATH FORUM? PLEASE READ THIS: ALL YOU NEED FOR QUANT!!!

PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 11 Rules for Posting!!!

RESOURCES: [GMAT MATH BOOK]; 1. Triangles; 2. Polygons; 3. Coordinate Geometry; 4. Factorials; 5. Circles; 6. Number Theory; 7. Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets; 9. PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders; 11. GMAT Prep Software Analysis NEW!!!; 12. SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) NEW!!!; 12. Tricky questions from previous years. NEW!!!;

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS ; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

What are GMAT Club Tests?
25 extra-hard Quant Tests

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Math Expert

Kudos [?]: 28941 [1] , given: 2871

Re: Square root and Modulus [#permalink] New post 02 Sep 2010, 13:07
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
mbafall2011 wrote:
udaymathapati wrote:
If x < 0, then \sqrt{-x} •|x|) is
A. -x
B. -1
C. 1
D. x
E. \sqrt{x}

what is the source of this question. I havent seen any gmat question testing imaginary numbers

GMAT is dealing only with Real Numbers: Integers, Fractions and Irrational Numbers. So you won't see any question involving imaginary numbers.

This question also does not involve imaginary numbers as expression under the square root is non-negative (actually it's positive): we have \sqrt{-x*|x|} --> as x<0 then -x=positive and |x|=positive, so \sqrt{-x*|x|}=\sqrt{positive*positive}=\sqrt{positive}.

Hope it's clear.

RESOURCES: [GMAT MATH BOOK]; 1. Triangles; 2. Polygons; 3. Coordinate Geometry; 4. Factorials; 5. Circles; 6. Number Theory; 7. Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets; 9. PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders; 11. GMAT Prep Software Analysis NEW!!!; 12. SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) NEW!!!; 12. Tricky questions from previous years. NEW!!!;

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS ; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Math Expert

Re: Square root and Modulus [#permalink] New post 08 Dec 2010, 11:34
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
shrive555 wrote:
Bunel: i've already seen all the explanation just one more question.

as If x<0, then \sqrt{-x*|x|}
Ans is -x
is Answer of the question depends on the condition x<0 or it depends on the sqrt (even root)

lets keep the condition same i.e x<0 and take odd root say cube root. i.e
\sqrt[3]{-x*|x}| . what would be the answer, would it be x then ?

Thanks

About the odd roots: odd roots will have the same sign as the base of the root. For example, \sqrt[3]{125} =5 and \sqrt[3]{-64} =-4.

So, if given that x<0 then |x|=-x and -x*|x|=(-x)*(-x)=positive*positive=x^2, thus odd root from positive x^2 will be positive.

But \sqrt[3]{-x*|x}| will equal neither to x nor to -x: \sqrt[3]{-x*|x|}=\sqrt[3]{x^2}=x^{\frac{2}{3}}, for example if x=-8<0 then \sqrt[3]{-x*|x|}=\sqrt[3]{x^2}=\sqrt[3]{64}=4.

If it were x<0 and \sqrt[3]{-x^2*|x}|=?, then \sqrt[3]{-x^2*|x}|=\sqrt[3]{-x^2*(-x)}=\sqrt[3]{x^3}=x<0. Or substitute the value let x=-5<0 --> \sqrt[3]{-x^2*|x}|=\sqrt[3]{-25*5}=\sqrt[3]{-125}=-5=x<0.

Now, back to the original question:

If x<0, then \sqrt{-x*|x|} equals:
A. -x
B. -1
C. 1
D. x
E. \sqrt{x}

As square root function can not give negative result, then options -1 (B) and x (D) can not be the answers as they are negative. Also \sqrt{x} (E) can not be the answer as even root from negative number is undefined for GMAT. 1 (C) also can not be the answer as for different values of x the answer will be different, so it can not be some specific value. So we are left with A.

Now, if it were x>0 instead of x<0 then the question would be flawed as in this case the expression under the even root would be negative (-x*|x|=negative*positive=negative).

Hope it's clear.

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Math Expert

Re: Is the square root always positive? [#permalink] New post 01 Feb 2011, 05:23
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Merging similar topics.

karenhipol wrote:
I encountered this question in gmat prep:

If x is < 0, what is the Square root of -x/x/

a. 0
b. 1
c. x
d. -x
e. -1

The official answer is -x but I answered x because I thought the answer should be positive.

Should I consider however, that since x <0 then I should multiply it by -1 to get a positive number so the answer is - x ( to get -(-x) = +x.

Please let me know If I reasoned this out correctly.

Thanks

Two things:

1. Square root function can not give negative result: \sqrt{some \ expression}\geq{0} so square root of a non-negative number is not always positive, it's never negative (always non-negative).

2. As x<0 then -x=-negative=positive so the answer is still positive.

For the complete solution refer to the above posts.

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 33

Re: Square root and Modulus [#permalink] New post 02 Sep 2010, 13:14
Thanks, the way you posted the question clarified the solution. The original representation was quite confusing
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: UT at Austin, Indiana State University, UC at Berkeley
WE 1: 5.5
WE 2: 5.5
WE 3: 6.0
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 53 [0], given: 16

Re: Square root and Modulus [#permalink] New post 06 Sep 2010, 15:36
Thanks bunuel, what I would do without your explanations!!! :)

Never give up,,,

Manager
Manager
Schools: ISB, HEC, Said
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 28

Re: Square root and Modulus [#permalink] New post 21 Sep 2010, 03:14
Excellent post Bunuel +1
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 40 [0], given: 9

GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: Square root and Modulus [#permalink] New post 22 Sep 2010, 09:56
Thanks to Bunuel. Key thing here is
Remember:
Square root of a number on gmat is positive number

I had seen similar problem earlier on gmatclub where I learnt this and got this one answer correct :)

If you like my post, consider giving me some KUDOS !!!!! Like you I need them

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 2

Re: Square root and Modulus [#permalink] New post 03 Nov 2010, 02:01
Thanks Bunuel for nice explanation.

Trying hard to achieve something unachievable now....

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 75 [0], given: 193

Re: Square root and Modulus [#permalink] New post 08 Dec 2010, 22:10
Excellent !!! THanks B

I'm the Dumbest of All !!

Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 104 [0], given: 27

Re: Square root and Modulus [#permalink] New post 09 Dec 2010, 04:36
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Friends,

In GMAT, to avoid the confusion with the negative #s, i use my own and simple technique that is as below.

PLEASE NOTE THAT: DEALING WITH THE INEQUALITIES/SQUARE-ROOTS/MODULUS THAT CONTAIN +VE #s IS EASIER THAN DEALING WITH THOSE CONTAIN -VE#S.

Given: x is a -ve
I take: y as a +ve #.
now i write -x = y

FROM NOW ON I AM GONNA DEAL WITH THE +VE # (i.e.y) ONLY. I CAN NOT BE TRAPPED BY THE TESTMAKER.

qtn: \sqrt{-x*|x|} = ?
==> \sqrt{y*|-y|}
==> \sqrt{y*y} as |-#|=#
==> \sqrt{y^2}
==> y (but not -y as Y is a positive #)
==> -x
Answer "A"

Refer can-anyone-answer-this-ds-question-94854.html for q qtn that can be solved using this technique.

Regards,
Murali.
Kudos.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Re: Square root and Modulus [#permalink] New post 09 Dec 2010, 09:03
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Murali: THe concept is same

\sqrt{-x*|x|} given x<0

=> \sqrt{x^2} = |x|

|x| = -x if x<0
|x| = x if x>0
since x<0 so -x

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 7

Re: Square root and Modulus [#permalink] New post 23 Dec 2010, 18:04
great post Bunuel, thanks for the explanation.
Expert Post
Math Expert

Kudos [?]: 28941 [0], given: 2871

Re: Square root and Modulus [#permalink] New post 30 Dec 2010, 14:20
Expert's post
marijose wrote:
I still do not understend why the x is negative. Is it because of the condition at the begining or because of the absolute value that is in the question?

here is whay I see.
SQ ( -(-x)) *|-x|

you get... sq(x*x) therefore the answer is x, do you add the negative sign because the problem starts out saying that x is negative or is there a rule I am not seeing?

I was under the impression that the square root of any number cannot by negative or is this incorrect?

regards

x is negative because it's given in the stem that it's negative (if x<0...). Next, knowing that x is negative doesn't mean that you should write -x instead of x.

As for the square root: yes, even roots can not give negative result, so when you say that \sqrt{-x*|x|} equals to x, you are basically saying that square root of an expression equals to the negative number (as x is negative) which can not be true. Now, the answer is -x or -(negative)=positive, so square root of an expression equals to positive number which can be true. Also \sqrt{x^2} equals to |x| not to x. It's all explained above, so please read the solutions again and ask if anything needs further clarification.

You can also check Absolute Value (math-absolute-value-modulus-86462.html) and Number Theory (math-number-theory-88376.html) chapters of Math Book for fundamentals.

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:

Expert Post
Math Expert

Re: Square root and Modulus [#permalink] New post 30 Dec 2010, 14:47
Expert's post
marijose wrote:
Ive read the explanations .. sorry to keep bugging but

lets say you plug in a a -5.
by doing all the calculations you get that the SQ(-(-5)*|-5|) = sq(5*5) = 5 so because and only because the question states that x is negative we have to change the value to -5. I this the correct reasoning?

I'm not sure understood your question.

What do you mean "change the value to -5"? If x=-5<0 then \sqrt{-x*|x|}=\sqrt{-(-5)*|-5|}=\sqrt{25}=5 so the answer is 5 or -x, as -x=-(-5)=5.

Hope it's clear.

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:

Expert Post
Math Expert

Re: Square root and Modulus [#permalink] New post 31 Dec 2010, 08:06
Expert's post
shrive555 wrote:
marijose wrote:

by doing all the calculations you get that the SQ(-(-5)*|-5|) = sq(5*5) = 5 so because and only because the question states that x is negative we have to change the value to -5. I this the correct reasoning?

you don't have to plug in -5.
Just Plug in 5, keep in mind that x<0 so it will make 5 as -5 automatically. so when you get the final answer after taking square root of 25 = 5. due to given condition of x<0 . you have to pick -5 or (negative value)from the answer choices. The only trick is " x<0 "

i was stuck in the same point :-D

What do you mean by "it will make 5 as -5 automatically"???

And again: given that x<0. If you want to solve this question by number plugging method you should plug negative values of x --> if x=-5<0 then \sqrt{-x*|x|}=\sqrt{-(-5)*|-5|}=\sqrt{25}=5 so the answer is 5 or -x, as -x=-(-5)=5.

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Re: Square root and Modulus [#permalink] New post 31 Dec 2010, 10:33
Bunuel wrote:
shrive555 wrote:
marijose wrote:

you don't have to plug in -5.
Just Plug in 5, keep in mind that x<0 so it will make 5 as -5 automatically. so when you get the final answer after taking square root of 25 = 5. due to given condition of x<0 . you have to pick -5 or (negative value)from the answer choices. The only trick is " x<0 "

i was stuck in the same point :-D

What do you mean by "it will make 5 as -5 automatically"???

And again: given that x<0. If you want to solve this question by number plugging method you should plug negative values of x --> if x=-5<0 then \sqrt{-x*|x|}=\sqrt{-(-5)*|-5|}=\sqrt{25}=5 so the answer is 5 or -x, as -x=-(-5)=5.

Since x=5 but x<0 so x=-5
probably marijose is confusing the negative sign - with negative x .... \sqrt{-(x)*|x|}

Expert Post
Math Expert

Re: Square root and Modulus [#permalink] New post 31 Dec 2010, 10:44
Expert's post
shrive555 wrote:

Since x=5 but x<0 so x=-5
probably marijose is confusing the negative sign - with negative x .... \sqrt{-(x)*|x|}

The red part does not make any sense. Please refer to the solutions on the previous page.

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Re: Square root and Modulus [#permalink] New post 31 Dec 2010, 11:31
Bunuel wrote:
marijose wrote:
I still do not understend why the x is negative. Is it because of the condition at the begining or because of the absolute value that is in the question?

here is whay I see.
SQ ( -(-x)) *|-x|

you get... sq(x*x) therefore the answer is x, do you add the negative sign because the problem starts out saying that x is negative or is there a rule I am not seeing?

I was under the impression that the square root of any number cannot by negative or is this incorrect?

regards

x is negative because it's given in the stem that it's negative (if x<0...). Next, knowing that x is negative doesn't mean that you should write -x instead of x.

This is what i meant but messed up in mathematics lingo :think:

Re: Square root and Modulus   [#permalink] 31 Dec 2010, 11:31