Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 04 Jul 2015, 21:01

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

If x <0 , then \sqrt{-x*|x|} equals 1. -x 2. -1 3. 1 4.

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:
SVP
SVP
avatar
Joined: 14 Dec 2004
Posts: 1706
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 58 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 18 Mar 2006, 19:38
Professor wrote:
vivek123 wrote:
Professor wrote:
vivek123 wrote:
A) -x ?

I'll explain if correct :?

seems you have correct OA. but how? could you explain?


This is my logic---->

We know that x<0, then -x > 0. In other words, -x*|x| = +x^2

so,
sqrt(-x*|x|) = sqrt(x^2)
= +x or -x. but since it is GIVEN that x < 0,
answer should be "-x".

(For any sqrt, answer is always "+" or "-" ; but if some condition is given, we can arrive at whether "+" OR "-")


but we cannot have -x as one of the value of sqrt(x^2) because sqrt(x^2) has only one value that is x. any square under radical sign has only +ve value.


How do you say that? For example, "25" is a square of "5" & also of "-5".
sqrt(25) = +5 or -5. I didn't get your point.
SVP
SVP
avatar
Joined: 14 Dec 2004
Posts: 1706
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 58 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 18 Mar 2006, 19:41
old_dream_1976 wrote:
vivek123 wrote:
Professor wrote:
vivek123 wrote:
A) -x ?

I'll explain if correct :?

seems you have correct OA. but how? could you explain?


This is my logic---->

We know that x<0, then -x > 0. In other words, -x*|x| = +x^2

so,
sqrt(-x*|x|) = sqrt(x^2)
= +x or -x. but since it is GIVEN that x < 0,
answer should be "-x".

(For any sqrt, answer is always "+" or "-" ; but if some condition is given, we can arrive at whether "+" OR "-")


I am with you untill

sqrt(-x*|x|) = sqrt(x^2)
= +x or -x.

so sqrt(-x*|x|) is -ve or +ve

and its absolute value is |x|

x or -x

how do you conclude that the value of the expression sqrt(-x*|x|) is -x?


OD,
Frankly speaking, I'm not very comfortable with this problem. Ideally, answer should be "+/-x", but since it was already mentioned that x<0, (and most important: answer choice has both +x & -x, WE HAVE TO SELECT ONE CHOICE) the value that I selected is "-x" :?

For example, if we are solving sqrt(a) for something like age of a person, -ve value wouldn't make sense, we have to select +ve value.
Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 17 Oct 2005
Posts: 938
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 68 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 18 Mar 2006, 20:17
lets plug in numbers

ie x=-2

-(-2) * abs(-2)= 2+2=4

sqrt (4)=+/-2

just because x<0 doesnt mean the value of the equation is less than zero

hence this is a messsed up q.
VP
VP
User avatar
Joined: 29 Dec 2005
Posts: 1348
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 37 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 18 Mar 2006, 20:20
vivek123 wrote:
Professor wrote:
vivek123 wrote:
This is my logic---->
We know that x<0, then -x > 0. In other words, -x*|x| = +x^2
so,
sqrt(-x*|x|) = sqrt(x^2)
= +x or -x. but since it is GIVEN that x < 0,
answer should be "-x".

(For any sqrt, answer is always "+" or "-" ; but if some condition is given, we can arrive at whether "+" OR "-")


but we cannot have -x as one of the value of sqrt(x^2) because sqrt(x^2) has only one value that is x. any square under radical sign has only +ve value.


How do you say that? For example, "25" is a square of "5" & also of "-5".
sqrt(25) = +5 or -5. I didn't get your point.


lets see the following examples:

(I) x^2 = 25
(II) x = square root 25

these two are different conditions. so,

from (I), the value of x = + or - 5
from (II), the value of x can only be +5.

i believe math experts like honghu and laxi are highly useful here. however, i found the following links to further clearification.
http://www.gmatclub.com/phpbb/viewtopic ... ght=#73232
http://www.jamesbrennan.org/algebra/rad ... _roots.htm


further to my replies, i have seen somewhere in OG that sqrt (x) = +x only. i will post the same when i find.
SVP
SVP
avatar
Joined: 14 Dec 2004
Posts: 1706
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 58 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 18 Mar 2006, 20:29
Professor wrote:
vivek123 wrote:
Professor wrote:
vivek123 wrote:
This is my logic---->
We know that x<0, then -x > 0. In other words, -x*|x| = +x^2
so,
sqrt(-x*|x|) = sqrt(x^2)
= +x or -x. but since it is GIVEN that x < 0,
answer should be "-x".

(For any sqrt, answer is always "+" or "-" ; but if some condition is given, we can arrive at whether "+" OR "-")


but we cannot have -x as one of the value of sqrt(x^2) because sqrt(x^2) has only one value that is x. any square under radical sign has only +ve value.


How do you say that? For example, "25" is a square of "5" & also of "-5".
sqrt(25) = +5 or -5. I didn't get your point.


lets see the following examples:

(I) x^2 = 25
(II) x = square root 25

these two are different conditions. so,

from (I), the value of x = + or - 5
from (II), the value of x can only be +5.


i believe math experts like honghu and laxi are highly useful here. however, i found the following links to further clearification.
http://www.gmatclub.com/phpbb/viewtopic ... ght=#73232
http://www.jamesbrennan.org/algebra/rad ... _roots.htm


further to my replies, i have seen somewhere in OG that sqrt (x) = +x only. i will post the same when i find.


What is the difference between (I) & (II)? I guess we arrive on (II) from (i) itself. :roll:
I have a very uneasy feeling on this.
VP
VP
User avatar
Joined: 29 Dec 2005
Posts: 1348
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 37 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 18 Mar 2006, 20:37
vivek123 wrote:
Professor wrote:
lets see the following examples:
(I) x^2 = 25
(II) x = square root 25

these two are different conditions. so,

from (I), the value of x = + or - 5
from (II), the value of x can only be +5.


i believe math experts like honghu and laxi are highly useful here. however, i found the following links to further clearification.
http://www.gmatclub.com/phpbb/viewtopic ... ght=#73232
http://www.jamesbrennan.org/algebra/rad ... _roots.htm


further to my replies, i have seen somewhere in OG that sqrt (x) = +x only. i will post the same when i find.


What is the difference between (I) & (II)? I guess we arrive on (II) from (i) itself. :roll:
I have a very uneasy feeling on this.


if x^2 = 25, x can be both +ve and -ve but if x = square root (25) x can only be 5, not -5. thats it. i told you it is in OG but where? i am trying to find it. once i get it, i will let you know.
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 01 Feb 2006
Posts: 102
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 18 Mar 2006, 21:26
Professor wrote:
vivek123 wrote:
Professor wrote:
vivek123 wrote:
This is my logic---->
We know that x<0, then -x > 0. In other words, -x*|x| = +x^2
so,
sqrt(-x*|x|) = sqrt(x^2)
= +x or -x. but since it is GIVEN that x < 0,
answer should be "-x".

(For any sqrt, answer is always "+" or "-" ; but if some condition is given, we can arrive at whether "+" OR "-")


but we cannot have -x as one of the value of sqrt(x^2) because sqrt(x^2) has only one value that is x. any square under radical sign has only +ve value.


How do you say that? For example, "25" is a square of "5" & also of "-5".
sqrt(25) = +5 or -5. I didn't get your point.


lets see the following examples:

(I) x^2 = 25
(II) x = square root 25

these two are different conditions. so,

from (I), the value of x = + or - 5
from (II), the value of x can only be +5.

i believe math experts like honghu and laxi are highly useful here. however, i found the following links to further clearification.
http://www.gmatclub.com/phpbb/viewtopic ... ght=#73232
http://www.jamesbrennan.org/algebra/rad ... _roots.htm


further to my replies, i have seen somewhere in OG that sqrt (x) = +x only. i will post the same when i find.
i believe u have it mistaken. i'm sure i've seen cases contrary to your explanation for (II)
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 14 Feb 2006
Posts: 16
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Square roots [#permalink] New post 19 Mar 2006, 03:02
Square root of 25 is 5 as far as Gmat is concerned( it can be -5 of course, but not in Gmat)

The question is x<0 ,sqr (-x * l x l= ?

let x be -2

sqr ( 2* l-2l)= sqr( 2*2)= sqr(4) = 2

since x is -2 , 2 is -x.

That is it.
SVP
SVP
avatar
Joined: 14 Dec 2004
Posts: 1706
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 58 [0], given: 0

Re: Square roots [#permalink] New post 19 Mar 2006, 03:51
INSEAD1979 wrote:
Square root of 25 is 5 as far as Gmat is concerned( it can be -5 of course, but not in Gmat)


This is something that I really wonder. It sounds like "whether" is preferred over "if" in GMAT :roll:

You guys might be correct, I'll really appreciate if you can PLEASE clarify on this part :cry:
Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 17 Dec 2005
Posts: 548
Location: Germany
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 0

Re: Square roots [#permalink] New post 19 Mar 2006, 08:26
INSEAD1979 wrote:
Square root of 25 is 5 as far as Gmat is concerned( it can be -5 of course, but not in Gmat)


You aren't right. The square root of a negative number isn't mathematically defined.

As Professor said:

(I) x^2 = 25
(II) x = square root 25

Statement II says that x has the value 5 and nothing else. Per definition you can take the square root soleily of a positive number or 0. Negative values aren't defined.

The thing why we consider -5 and +5 in statement I is that a number squared always yields a positive value, you know that of course. In two we don't square a number, and if we would we already knew that x is positive since it is sqrt25.

Of course if you consider sqrt (x^2) x can be positive or negative.

Hope that clarifies
SVP
SVP
User avatar
Joined: 05 Apr 2005
Posts: 1731
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 39 [0], given: 0

Re: Square roots [#permalink] New post 19 Mar 2006, 17:19
allabout wrote:
The square root of a negative number isn't mathematically defined.

As Professor said:
(I) x^2 = 25
(II) x = square root 25

Statement II says that x has the value 5 and nothing else. Per definition you can take the square root soleily of a positive number or 0. Negative values aren't defined.

The thing why we consider -5 and +5 in statement I is that a number squared always yields a positive value, you know that of course. In two we don't square a number, and if we would we already knew that x is positive since it is sqrt25.


the important concept is: sqrt (x) has only one value i.e. +ve.

x = sqrt (25) = only 5.
x^2 = 25 = 5 or -5.
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 01 Feb 2006
Posts: 102
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Square roots [#permalink] New post 19 Mar 2006, 18:52
HIMALAYA wrote:
allabout wrote:
The square root of a negative number isn't mathematically defined.

As Professor said:
(I) x^2 = 25
(II) x = square root 25

Statement II says that x has the value 5 and nothing else. Per definition you can take the square root soleily of a positive number or 0. Negative values aren't defined.

The thing why we consider -5 and +5 in statement I is that a number squared always yields a positive value, you know that of course. In two we don't square a number, and if we would we already knew that x is positive since it is sqrt25.


the important concept is: sqrt (x) has only one value i.e. +ve.

x = sqrt (25) = only 5.
x^2 = 25 = 5 or -5.
i really don't understand the thinking behind this. why would sqrt have only one value?
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 14 Feb 2006
Posts: 16
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

sqr root [#permalink] New post 20 Mar 2006, 00:13
I repeat

Square root of 25 in GMAT: 5 ,nothing else.

BUT if you wanna go and check high math books,you can see that it can be -5.

What I dont understand : Why you guys lose time with unimportant stuff. Look at my solution. The answer to the original question is -x. And that is it. It has nothing to do with sqrt of 25 = 5 or -5!

p.s: By the way, if is only correct if it is used to convey the meaning of a possibility. Whether is always correct when you talk about alternatives.
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 01 Feb 2006
Posts: 102
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: sqr root [#permalink] New post 20 Mar 2006, 06:35
INSEAD1979 wrote:
I repeat

Square root of 25 in GMAT: 5 ,nothing else.

BUT if you wanna go and check high math books,you can see that it can be -5.

What I dont understand : Why you guys lose time with unimportant stuff. Look at my solution. The answer to the original question is -x. And that is it. It has nothing to do with sqrt of 25 = 5 or -5!

p.s: By the way, if is only correct if it is used to convey the meaning of a possibility. Whether is always correct when you talk about alternatives.
If it's unimportant you don't have to bother replying the thread.
SVP
SVP
User avatar
Joined: 05 Apr 2005
Posts: 1731
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 39 [0], given: 0

Re: Square roots [#permalink] New post 20 Mar 2006, 10:07
guys, lets be polite and respectful to each other in expressing our views. its one's freedom whether to take the views expressed here.

I also agree with that SQRT (25) = 5. but the reason :dunnow.

i believe Honghu can explain.
SVP
SVP
User avatar
Joined: 03 Jan 2005
Posts: 2246
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 226 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 20 Mar 2006, 22:39
Square root of any positive number is a positive number. When we say x^2=a, we know that x=+/-sqrt(a). You can see that sqrt(a) itself is positive, but x could be positive sqrt(a) or negative sqrt(a).

Using an example, say x^2=25. We know that x=+/-sqrt(25), where sqrt(25)=5.

Hope this helps. :)
_________________

Keep on asking, and it will be given you;
keep on seeking, and you will find;
keep on knocking, and it will be opened to you.

Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 04 Jan 2006
Posts: 925
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 20 Mar 2006, 22:42
square root of a positive number is a positive number..

x^2 = 4, x = + or -2
if x = sqrt(4), x = 2
nothing else.
sqrt(-4) = 2i


so in this case.. the answer is sqrt(-x|x|)
since x is < 0,so pick x = -4, we have sqrt(-(-4)*|-4|)
==> 4

This is what I learnt at school.. Now I am totally lost if this IS WRONG.
Please explain!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 05 Jan 2006
Posts: 382
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 36 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 20 Mar 2006, 22:59
Just to End this discussion let me quote from the bible (OG-11, Page 126)

9. Absolute Value
The absolute value of x is denoted |x|, is defined to be x if x>=0 and –x is x<0. Note that sqrt(x^2) denotes that nonnegative square root of x^2 and so sqrt(x^2) = |x|


Following this answer of the question should be –x, as x is already negative and we need positive answer.

I hope this helps.
SVP
SVP
User avatar
Joined: 03 Jan 2005
Posts: 2246
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 226 [0], given: 0

Re: absolute value [#permalink] New post 20 Mar 2006, 23:43
believe2 wrote:
if x <0 , then sqrt (-x |x|) equals

1. -x
2. -1
3. 1
4. x
5. sqrt(x)


If x<0, the |x|=-x. sqrt(-x|x|)=sqrt((-x)^2)=-x.

Look at the options, you know that 2 and 3 can be thrown out right away. sqrt(x) is wrong because for GMAT only positive number can be inside a square root. Compare 1 and 4, you want a positive number, which would be -x since x is negative.
_________________

Keep on asking, and it will be given you;
keep on seeking, and you will find;
keep on knocking, and it will be opened to you.

SVP
SVP
avatar
Joined: 14 Dec 2004
Posts: 1706
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 58 [0], given: 0

Re: absolute value [#permalink] New post 21 Mar 2006, 03:37
HongHu wrote:
believe2 wrote:
if x <0 , then sqrt (-x |x|) equals

1. -x
2. -1
3. 1
4. x
5. sqrt(x)


If x<0, the |x|=-x. sqrt(-x|x|)=sqrt((-x)^2)=-x.

Look at the options, you know that 2 and 3 can be thrown out right away. sqrt(x) is wrong because for GMAT only positive number can be inside a square root. Compare 1 and 4, you want a positive number, which would be -x since x is negative.


I guess this is how I arrived at my answer -x :-D
But I was totally confused with what is needed in GMAT etc.

Anyways, thanks Hong :pray

Cheers
Re: absolute value   [#permalink] 21 Mar 2006, 03:37

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3    Next  [ 55 posts ] 

    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
If x<0, then sqrt(-x|x|) is a) -x b) -1 c) 1 d) x tarek99 5 11 Dec 2007, 03:31
If x < 0, then sqrt(-x*|x|) is A. -x B. -1 C. 1 D. ricokevin 4 25 Mar 2007, 05:30
if x<0, then sqrt(-x|x|) is a) -x b) -1 c) 1 d) x tsaditya 3 09 Mar 2007, 23:31
if x<0 then sqrt(-x|x|) is 1. -x 2. -1 3. 1 4. x 5. mbadownunder 6 27 Jan 2006, 22:50
If x<0, what is sqrt(-x*|x|)? A -x B x C 1 D -1 E gsr 4 21 Oct 2005, 22:31
Display posts from previous: Sort by

If x <0 , then \sqrt{-x*|x|} equals 1. -x 2. -1 3. 1 4.

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.