Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 02 Sep 2015, 22:57
GMAT Club Tests

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

If x > 1 and y > 1 , is x > y ? 1. \sqrt{x} > y

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
VP
VP
User avatar
Joined: 30 Jun 2008
Posts: 1047
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 388 [0], given: 1

If x > 1 and y > 1 , is x > y ? 1. \sqrt{x} > y [#permalink] New post 30 Sep 2008, 09:02
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 0 sessions
This topic is locked. If you want to discuss this question please re-post it in the respective forum.

If \(x > 1\) and \(y > 1\) , is \(x > y\) ?

1. \(\sqrt{x} > y\)
2. \(\sqrt{y} < x\)
_________________

"You have to find it. No one else can find it for you." - Bjorn Borg

SVP
SVP
avatar
Joined: 17 Jun 2008
Posts: 1570
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 210 [0], given: 0

Re: DS: m01#5 [#permalink] New post 30 Sep 2008, 09:15
A for me.

Since, both x and y are greater than 1, hence if sqrt(x) > y then x will definitely be greater than y.

stmt2 is not sufficient. sqrt(y) < x but y can be greater than, equal to or smaller than x.
VP
VP
User avatar
Joined: 30 Jun 2008
Posts: 1047
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 388 [0], given: 1

Re: DS: m01#5 [#permalink] New post 30 Sep 2008, 09:21
scthakur wrote:
A for me.

stmt2 is not sufficient. sqrt(y) < x but y can be greater than, equal to or smaller than x.


I don't seem to understand this :( a bit more elaborate explanation will help
_________________

"You have to find it. No one else can find it for you." - Bjorn Borg

SVP
SVP
avatar
Joined: 17 Jun 2008
Posts: 1570
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 210 [0], given: 0

Re: DS: m01#5 [#permalink] New post 30 Sep 2008, 09:27
amitdgr wrote:
scthakur wrote:
A for me.

stmt2 is not sufficient. sqrt(y) < x but y can be greater than, equal to or smaller than x.


I don't seem to understand this :( a bit more elaborate explanation will help


if x is between 0 and 1 then sqrt(x) will be greater than x. However, if x > 1 then sqrt(x) will always be smaller than x. We can check this with any real numbers.

With this logic, if sqrt(x) > y and since x > sqrt(x) as x > 1, hence x > y.
VP
VP
User avatar
Joined: 30 Jun 2008
Posts: 1047
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 388 [0], given: 1

Re: DS: m01#5 [#permalink] New post 30 Sep 2008, 09:46
How do you rule out the second statement ? I understood the first statement in your first post :) I had asked explanation for the second one alone.

Thanks
_________________

"You have to find it. No one else can find it for you." - Bjorn Borg

Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 23 May 2008
Posts: 839
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 45 [0], given: 0

Re: DS: m01#5 [#permalink] New post 30 Sep 2008, 10:11
I get A too

since x and y are greater than 1

1) sqrt x>y
x>y^2
x has to be bigger than y since x is bigger then y*y

2) sqrt y<x
y<x^2
x^2 > y
in this case x is not neccessarily bigger than y

for instance x=2, y=3 and x^2=4, y=3, true in this case
but x=3, y=3 means x^2=9. x^2 is bigger than y, but x is not bigger than y so false in this case
Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 27 Jun 2008
Posts: 547
WE 1: Investment Banking - 6yrs
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 52 [0], given: 92

Re: DS: m01#5 [#permalink] New post 30 Sep 2008, 10:16
A for me - same explanation as bigtreezl.
SVP
SVP
avatar
Joined: 17 Jun 2008
Posts: 1570
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 210 [0], given: 0

Re: DS: m01#5 [#permalink] New post 30 Sep 2008, 10:34
amitdgr wrote:
How do you rule out the second statement ? I understood the first statement in your first post :) I had asked explanation for the second one alone.

Thanks


Ok. take y = 4, x = 5. In this case sqrt(y) < x and also y < x.
Take another example where y = 16, x = 5. In this case, sqrt(y) < x but y > x.
Third example, y = 4, x = 4. Here, sqrt(y) < x, but y = x.

As a rule, if y > 1 then y > sqrt(y)
In the given question x > sqrt(y). Hence, the two cannot be equated. We cannot definitely say that y > x or y < x or y = x.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 30 Sep 2008
Posts: 111
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 0

Re: DS: m01#5 [#permalink] New post 30 Sep 2008, 23:57
A to me

1. x > 1 => x > sqrt(x) > y => x > y

2. insufficent
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 30 Sep 2008
Posts: 111
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 0

Re: DS: m01#5 [#permalink] New post 01 Oct 2008, 00:00
scthakur wrote:
amitdgr wrote:
How do you rule out the second statement ? I understood the first statement in your first post :) I had asked explanation for the second one alone.

Thanks


Ok. take y = 4, x = 5. In this case sqrt(y) < x and also y < x.
Take another example where y = 16, x = 5. In this case, sqrt(y) < x but y > x.
Third example, y = 4, x = 4. Here, sqrt(y) < x, but y = x.

As a rule, if y > 1 then y > sqrt(y)
In the given question x > sqrt(y). Hence, the two cannot be equated. We cannot definitely say that y > x or y < x or y = x.


yes, examples in this case is the easiest & fastest way to rule out. Try 9 for y and 4 for x
Re: DS: m01#5   [#permalink] 01 Oct 2008, 00:00
Display posts from previous: Sort by

If x > 1 and y > 1 , is x > y ? 1. \sqrt{x} > y

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.