Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Sep 2014, 12:21

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

If x=7, what is the value of 1-x^2+x^3-x^4+x^5-x^6

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:
Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 17 Oct 2005
Posts: 941
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
If x=7, what is the value of 1-x^2+x^3-x^4+x^5-x^6 [#permalink] New post 28 Apr 2006, 02:08
If x=7, what is the value of 1-x^2+x^3-x^4+x^5-x^6?
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 14 Mar 2006
Posts: 214
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: exponent addition [#permalink] New post 28 Apr 2006, 07:05
joemama142000 wrote:
If x=7, what is the value of 1-x^2+x^3-x^4+x^5-x^6?


Isnt it true that we cant simply exp when adding or subtracting? Confused.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 14 Mar 2006
Posts: 214
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: exponent addition [#permalink] New post 28 Apr 2006, 07:11
shampoo wrote:
joemama142000 wrote:
If x=7, what is the value of 1-x^2+x^3-x^4+x^5-x^6?


Isnt it true that we cant simply exp when adding or subtracting? Confused.


oh stupid me, since we know x=7 we can jus sub-in and solve. any easier way to do this without counting?
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 23 Jan 2006
Posts: 193
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 28 Apr 2006, 07:38
i simplified first to:
6(8 + 7^3 + 7^5)

got 102,948
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 14 Apr 2006
Posts: 16
Location: london
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re :addition of exponents [#permalink] New post 28 Apr 2006, 13:43
The question asks for sum of
1-x^2+X^3-X^4+x^5-X^6
In effect it is a geometric progression after 1 each term being multiplied by -X
so 1-(X^2-X^3+X^4-X^5+X^6) =1- Sum of geometric progression

Sum of geometric progression =a(1-r^n)/1-r

Where a= the first term which in this case is X^2
And r = the common ratio which in this case is –X
And n=the number of terms which in this case is 5 (X^2-------X^6)
So substituting we get
S=X^2 (1+X^5) /1+X in other words 49x 16808/8


=49x2101=102949
1-S=1-102949=-102948
VP
VP
avatar
Joined: 06 Jun 2004
Posts: 1062
Location: CA
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Re :addition of exponents [#permalink] New post 28 Apr 2006, 15:25
fighter wrote:
The question asks for sum of
1-x^2+X^3-X^4+x^5-X^6
In effect it is a geometric progression after 1 each term being multiplied by -X
so 1-(X^2-X^3+X^4-X^5+X^6) =1- Sum of geometric progression

Sum of geometric progression =a(1-r^n)/1-r

Where a= the first term which in this case is X^2
And r = the common ratio which in this case is –X
And n=the number of terms which in this case is 5 (X^2-------X^6)
So substituting we get
S=X^2 (1+X^5) /1+X in other words 49x 16808/8


=49x2101=102949
1-S=1-102949=-102948


Hmm, I've never seen this formula before. Great job tho :) Can anybody enlighten us with this formula?
_________________

Don't be afraid to take a flying leap of faith.. If you risk nothing, than you gain nothing...

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 20 Mar 2005
Posts: 201
Location: Colombia, South America
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Re :addition of exponents [#permalink] New post 28 Apr 2006, 15:27
TeHCM wrote:
fighter wrote:
The question asks for sum of
1-x^2+X^3-X^4+x^5-X^6
In effect it is a geometric progression after 1 each term being multiplied by -X
so 1-(X^2-X^3+X^4-X^5+X^6) =1- Sum of geometric progression

Sum of geometric progression =a(1-r^n)/1-r

Where a= the first term which in this case is X^2
And r = the common ratio which in this case is –X
And n=the number of terms which in this case is 5 (X^2-------X^6)
So substituting we get
S=X^2 (1+X^5) /1+X in other words 49x 16808/8


=49x2101=102949
1-S=1-102949=-102948


Hmm, I've never seen this formula before. Great job tho :) Can anybody enlighten us with this formula?


check this link, it explains it very well:

http://mathworld.wolfram.com/GeometricSeries.html

Last edited by conocieur on 28 Apr 2006, 15:28, edited 1 time in total.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 05 Jan 2006
Posts: 383
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Re :addition of exponents [#permalink] New post 28 Apr 2006, 20:08
fighter wrote:
The question asks for sum of
1-x^2+X^3-X^4+x^5-X^6
In effect it is a geometric progression after 1 each term being multiplied by -X
so 1-(X^2-X^3+X^4-X^5+X^6) =1- Sum of geometric progression

Sum of geometric progression =a(1-r^n)/1-r

Where a= the first term which in this case is X^2
And r = the common ratio which in this case is –X
And n=the number of terms which in this case is 5 (X^2-------X^6)
So substituting we get
S=X^2 (1+X^5) /1+X in other words 49x 16808/8

=49x2101=102949
1-S=1-102949=-102948


Good approach,

I was looking for short cut but ended up calculating 7*6 good things is you only have to multiply 6 times!!! and I had to redo it only twice...:)
Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 17 Oct 2005
Posts: 941
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 29 Apr 2006, 13:57
figher , that is a great explanation
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 27 Mar 2006
Posts: 136
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 30 Apr 2006, 00:07
kook44 wrote:
i simplified first to:
6(8 + 7^3 + 7^5)

got 102,948


Explain how you simplified to this
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 23 Mar 2006
Posts: 76
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 30 Apr 2006, 02:51
Fighter,

What happens if this is an infinite series, we don't know the value of N.
  [#permalink] 30 Apr 2006, 02:51
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
3 Experts publish their posts in the topic Seven integers, x1, x2, x3, x4, x5, x6, and x7, are picked Mspixel 8 04 Dec 2008, 12:31
What is the value of │x + 7│? smily_buddy 4 12 Aug 2007, 11:53
What is the value of │x + 7│? apollo168 3 23 Aug 2006, 04:56
What is the value of │x + 7│? Achilless 2 18 Aug 2006, 21:58
What is the value of │x + 7│? M8 7 05 May 2006, 19:46
Display posts from previous: Sort by

If x=7, what is the value of 1-x^2+x^3-x^4+x^5-x^6

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.