Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Apr 2014, 02:59

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

If x and y are integers and 4xy = x^2*y+4y, what is the

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Joined: 02 Jun 2011
Posts: 159
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 11

If x and y are integers and 4xy = x^2*y+4y, what is the [#permalink] New post 23 May 2012, 00:57
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  55% (medium)

Question Stats:

40% (02:25) correct 59% (01:33) wrong based on 108 sessions
If x and y are integers and 4xy = x^2*y+4y, what is the value of xy?

(1) y-x = 2
(2) x^3 <0

what I did : 4xy = x^2y+4y
4x = x^2+4
x^2-4x+4 = 0
(x-2)^2=0
x = 2
is this wrong?
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Last edited by Bunuel on 23 May 2012, 01:15, edited 1 time in total.
Edited the OA
7 KUDOS received
Math Expert
User avatar
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 17394
Followers: 2889

Kudos [?]: 18490 [7] , given: 2361

GMAT Tests User CAT Tests
Re: If x and y are integers and 4xy = x^2*y+4y, what is the [#permalink] New post 23 May 2012, 01:14
7
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
kashishh wrote:
If x and y are integers and 4xy = x^2*y+4y, what is the value of xy?

(1) y-x = 2
(2) x^3 <0

what I did : 4xy = x^2y+4y
4x = x^2+4
x^2-4x+4 = 0
(x-2)^2=0
x = 2
is this wrong?


You cannot divide 4xy=x^2y+4y by y and write 4x=x^2+4, because y can be zero and division be zero is not allowed. Never reduce equation by variable (or expression with variable), if you are not certain that variable (or expression with variable) doesn't equal to zero. We can not divide by zero. So when you divide by y you assume, with no ground for it, that y does not equal to zero thus exclude a possible solution.

If x and y are integers and 4xy = x^2*y+4y, what is the value of xy?

4xy=x^2*y+4y --> x^2*y-4xy+4y=0 --> y(x^2-4x+4)=0 --> y(x-2)^2=0 --> either x=2 or y=0 (or both).

(1) y-x = 2 --> if x=2 then y=4 and xy=8 but if y=0 then x=-2 and xy = 0. Not sufficient.

(2) x^3<0 --> x<0, so x\neq{2} which means that y must equal to zero --> xy=0. Sufficient.

Answer: B.

Hope it's clear.
_________________

NEW TO MATH FORUM? PLEASE READ THIS: ALL YOU NEED FOR QUANT!!!

PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 11 Rules for Posting!!!

RESOURCES: [GMAT MATH BOOK]; 1. Triangles; 2. Polygons; 3. Coordinate Geometry; 4. Factorials; 5. Circles; 6. Number Theory; 7. Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets; 9. PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders; 11. GMAT Prep Software Analysis NEW!!!; 12. SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) NEW!!!; 12. Tricky questions from previous years. NEW!!!;

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS ; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.


What are GMAT Club Tests?
25 extra-hard Quant Tests

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Joined: 28 Dec 2010
Posts: 337
Location: India
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 33

Re: If x and y are integers and 4xy = x^2*y+4y, what is the [#permalink] New post 25 May 2012, 18:15
thanks bunuel. Its a common error to 'cancel' y on both sides. I fell prey to the same mistake.
However, just to clarify, basically when x = 2 then y can take any value and when y=0 x can take any value. In either case xy=0?
Math Expert
User avatar
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 17394
Followers: 2889

Kudos [?]: 18490 [0], given: 2361

GMAT Tests User CAT Tests
Re: If x and y are integers and 4xy = x^2*y+4y, what is the [#permalink] New post 26 May 2012, 01:42
Expert's post
vibhav wrote:
thanks bunuel. Its a common error to 'cancel' y on both sides. I fell prey to the same mistake.
However, just to clarify, basically when x = 2 then y can take any value and when y=0 x can take any value. In either case xy=0?


If y=0 then x can take any value - TRUE. In this case xy=0.
If x=2 then y can take any value - TRUE. In this case xy=0 only if y=0 but for any other possible value of y xy does not equal to zero (for example consider x=2 and y=1).

Hope it's clear.
_________________

NEW TO MATH FORUM? PLEASE READ THIS: ALL YOU NEED FOR QUANT!!!

PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 11 Rules for Posting!!!

RESOURCES: [GMAT MATH BOOK]; 1. Triangles; 2. Polygons; 3. Coordinate Geometry; 4. Factorials; 5. Circles; 6. Number Theory; 7. Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets; 9. PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders; 11. GMAT Prep Software Analysis NEW!!!; 12. SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) NEW!!!; 12. Tricky questions from previous years. NEW!!!;

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS ; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.


What are GMAT Club Tests?
25 extra-hard Quant Tests

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Joined: 28 Dec 2010
Posts: 337
Location: India
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 33

Re: If x and y are integers and 4xy = x^2*y+4y, what is the [#permalink] New post 26 May 2012, 06:09
Bunuel wrote:

If x=2 then y can take any value - TRUE. In this case xy=0 only if y=0 but for any other possible value of y xy does not equal to zero (for example consider x=2 and y=1).



Just by looking at this equation y(x^2 -4x+4) = 0 either the quadratic term has to equal 0, in which case x=2, or y has to equal to zero. In which scenario will y =1 and x=2 occur?
Math Expert
User avatar
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 17394
Followers: 2889

Kudos [?]: 18490 [0], given: 2361

GMAT Tests User CAT Tests
Re: If x and y are integers and 4xy = x^2*y+4y, what is the [#permalink] New post 28 May 2012, 04:26
Expert's post
vibhav wrote:
Bunuel wrote:

If x=2 then y can take any value - TRUE. In this case xy=0 only if y=0 but for any other possible value of y xy does not equal to zero (for example consider x=2 and y=1).



Just by looking at this equation y(x^2 -4x+4) = 0 either the quadratic term has to equal 0, in which case x=2, or y has to equal to zero. In which scenario will y =1 and x=2 occur?


Again: y(x-2)^2=0 means that either x=2 or y=0 (or both).

Now, if x=2 then y can take ANY value including 1.

Hope it's clear.
_________________

NEW TO MATH FORUM? PLEASE READ THIS: ALL YOU NEED FOR QUANT!!!

PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 11 Rules for Posting!!!

RESOURCES: [GMAT MATH BOOK]; 1. Triangles; 2. Polygons; 3. Coordinate Geometry; 4. Factorials; 5. Circles; 6. Number Theory; 7. Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets; 9. PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders; 11. GMAT Prep Software Analysis NEW!!!; 12. SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) NEW!!!; 12. Tricky questions from previous years. NEW!!!;

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS ; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.


What are GMAT Club Tests?
25 extra-hard Quant Tests

Intern
Intern
Joined: 28 Sep 2011
Posts: 35
Location: India
WE: Consulting (Computer Software)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 18

Re: If x and y are integers and 4xy = x^2*y+4y, what is the [#permalink] New post 31 May 2012, 19:55
Made silly mistake....
I thought using stmt 1 - xy always comes to be 0...
_________________

Kudos if you like the post!!!

Manager
Manager
Joined: 27 May 2012
Posts: 212
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 46 [0], given: 75

Re: If x and y are integers and 4xy = x^2*y+4y, what is the [#permalink] New post 14 Sep 2013, 02:21
Bunuel wrote:
kashishh wrote:
If x and y are integers and 4xy = x^2*y+4y, what is the value of xy?

(1) y-x = 2
(2) x^3 <0

what I did : 4xy = x^2y+4y
4x = x^2+4
x^2-4x+4 = 0
(x-2)^2=0
x = 2
is this wrong?


You cannot divide 4xy=x^2y+4y by y and write 4x=x^2+4, because y can be zero and division be zero is not allowed. Never reduce equation by variable (or expression with variable), if you are not certain that variable (or expression with variable) doesn't equal to zero. We can not divide by zero. So when you divide by y you assume, with no ground for it, that y does not equal to zero thus exclude a possible solution.

If x and y are integers and 4xy = x^2*y+4y, what is the value of xy?


4xy=x^2*y+4y --> x^2*y-4xy+4y=0 --> y(x^2-4x+4)=0 --> y(x-2)^2=0 --> either x=2 or y=0 (or both).

(1) y-x = 2 --> if x=2 then y=4 and xy=8 but if y=0 then x=-2 and xy = 0. Not sufficient.

(2) x^3<0 --> x<0, so x\neq{2} which means that y must equal to zero --> xy=0. Sufficient.

Answer: B.

Hope it's clear.


instead of taking LHS to RHS , I brought RHS to LHS
and got 4xy-x^2y - 4y = 0
now y (4x-x^2- 4 )= 0
y (-x^2 +4x - 4)= 0
y (x+2)^2= 0
either y = 0 or x = -2
now obviously x=-2 does not satisfy 4xy = x^2*y+4y, now I was expecting the same answer both ways.
Now am I doing something wrong,or is it just one of those cases where the equation works a certain way and not the other way

by the way factorization of -x^2 +4x-4 =0 is (x+2)^2 right? if x^2 has a coefficient we have to multiply the constant (-4) with the coefficient of x^2 do we not.
_________________

- Stne

1 KUDOS received
Math Expert
User avatar
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 17394
Followers: 2889

Kudos [?]: 18490 [1] , given: 2361

GMAT Tests User CAT Tests
Re: If x and y are integers and 4xy = x^2*y+4y, what is the [#permalink] New post 14 Sep 2013, 02:29
1
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
stne wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
kashishh wrote:
If x and y are integers and 4xy = x^2*y+4y, what is the value of xy?

(1) y-x = 2
(2) x^3 <0

what I did : 4xy = x^2y+4y
4x = x^2+4
x^2-4x+4 = 0
(x-2)^2=0
x = 2
is this wrong?


You cannot divide 4xy=x^2y+4y by y and write 4x=x^2+4, because y can be zero and division be zero is not allowed. Never reduce equation by variable (or expression with variable), if you are not certain that variable (or expression with variable) doesn't equal to zero. We can not divide by zero. So when you divide by y you assume, with no ground for it, that y does not equal to zero thus exclude a possible solution.

If x and y are integers and 4xy = x^2*y+4y, what is the value of xy?


4xy=x^2*y+4y --> x^2*y-4xy+4y=0 --> y(x^2-4x+4)=0 --> y(x-2)^2=0 --> either x=2 or y=0 (or both).

(1) y-x = 2 --> if x=2 then y=4 and xy=8 but if y=0 then x=-2 and xy = 0. Not sufficient.

(2) x^3<0 --> x<0, so x\neq{2} which means that y must equal to zero --> xy=0. Sufficient.

Answer: B.

Hope it's clear.


instead of taking LHS to RHS , I brought RHS to LHS
and got 4xy-x^2y - 4y = 0
now y (4x-x^2- 4 )= 0
y (-x^2 +4x - 4)= 0
y (x+2)^2= 0
either y = 0 or x = -2
now obviously x=-2 does not satisfy 4xy = x^2*y+4y, now I was expecting the same answer both ways.
Now am I doing something wrong,or is it just one of those cases where the equation works a certain way and not the other way

by the way factorization of -x^2 +4x-4 =0 is (x+2)^2 right? if x^2 has a coefficient we have to multiply the constant (-4) with the coefficient of x^2 do we not.


You could expand (x+2)^2 to check your reasoning: (x+2)^2=x^2+2x+4, while -x^2 +4x-4=-(x^2-4x+4)=-(x-2)^2. Thus, y(4x-x^2- 4 )=0 can be written as -y(x-2)^2=0 --> x=2 or y=0.

Hope it's clear.
_________________

NEW TO MATH FORUM? PLEASE READ THIS: ALL YOU NEED FOR QUANT!!!

PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 11 Rules for Posting!!!

RESOURCES: [GMAT MATH BOOK]; 1. Triangles; 2. Polygons; 3. Coordinate Geometry; 4. Factorials; 5. Circles; 6. Number Theory; 7. Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets; 9. PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders; 11. GMAT Prep Software Analysis NEW!!!; 12. SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) NEW!!!; 12. Tricky questions from previous years. NEW!!!;

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS ; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.


What are GMAT Club Tests?
25 extra-hard Quant Tests

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Joined: 27 May 2012
Posts: 212
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 46 [1] , given: 75

Re: If x and y are integers and 4xy = x^2*y+4y, what is the [#permalink] New post 14 Sep 2013, 02:59
1
This post received
KUDOS
Bunuel wrote:
stne wrote:

instead of taking LHS to RHS , I brought RHS to LHS
and got 4xy-x^2y - 4y = 0
now y (4x-x^2- 4 )= 0
y (-x^2 +4x - 4)= 0
y (x+2)^2= 0
either y = 0 or x = -2
now obviously x=-2 does not satisfy 4xy = x^2*y+4y, now I was expecting the same answer both ways.
Now am I doing something wrong,or is it just one of those cases where the equation works a certain way and not the other way

by the way factorization of -x^2 +4x-4 =0 is (x+2)^2 right? if x^2 has a coefficient we have to multiply the constant (-4) with the coefficient of x^2 do we not.


You could expand (x+2)^2 to check your reasoning: (x+2)^2=x^2+2x+4, while -x^2 +4x-4=-(x^2-4x+4)=-(x-2)^2. Thus, y(4x-x^2- 4 )=0 can be written as -y(x-2)^2=0 --> x=2 or y=0.

Hope it's clear.


I think I am still missing something, can you please show me how to factorize -x^2+4x-4= 0 without taking out the negative sign, answer should be same right? Thank you
_________________

- Stne


Last edited by stne on 14 Sep 2013, 03:07, edited 1 time in total.
1 KUDOS received
Math Expert
User avatar
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 17394
Followers: 2889

Kudos [?]: 18490 [1] , given: 2361

GMAT Tests User CAT Tests
Re: If x and y are integers and 4xy = x^2*y+4y, what is the [#permalink] New post 14 Sep 2013, 03:02
1
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
stne wrote:
stne wrote:
Bunuel wrote:

instead of taking LHS to RHS , I brought RHS to LHS
and got 4xy-x^2y - 4y = 0
now y (4x-x^2- 4 )= 0
y (-x^2 +4x - 4)= 0
y (x+2)^2= 0
either y = 0 or x = -2
now obviously x=-2 does not satisfy 4xy = x^2*y+4y, now I was expecting the same answer both ways.
Now am I doing something wrong,or is it just one of those cases where the equation works a certain way and not the other way

by the way factorization of -x^2 +4x-4 =0 is (x+2)^2 right? if x^2 has a coefficient we have to multiply the constant (-4) with the coefficient of x^2 do we not.


You could expand (x+2)^2 to check your reasoning: (x+2)^2=x^2+2x+4, while -x^2 +4x-4=-(x^2-4x+4)=-(x-2)^2. Thus, y(4x-x^2- 4 )=0 can be written as -y(x-2)^2=0 --> x=2 or y=0.

Hope it's clear.


I think I am still missing something, can you please show me how to factorize -x^2+4x-4= 0 without taking out the negative sign, answer should be same right? Thank you


You can factor -x^2 + 4x - 4 only as -(x-2)^2.
_________________

NEW TO MATH FORUM? PLEASE READ THIS: ALL YOU NEED FOR QUANT!!!

PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 11 Rules for Posting!!!

RESOURCES: [GMAT MATH BOOK]; 1. Triangles; 2. Polygons; 3. Coordinate Geometry; 4. Factorials; 5. Circles; 6. Number Theory; 7. Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets; 9. PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders; 11. GMAT Prep Software Analysis NEW!!!; 12. SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) NEW!!!; 12. Tricky questions from previous years. NEW!!!;

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS ; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.


What are GMAT Club Tests?
25 extra-hard Quant Tests

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Joined: 27 May 2012
Posts: 212
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 46 [1] , given: 75

Re: If x and y are integers and 4xy = x^2*y+4y, what is the [#permalink] New post 14 Sep 2013, 04:40
1
This post received
KUDOS
Bunuel wrote:
stne wrote:
Bunuel wrote:

You could expand (x+2)^2 to check your reasoning: (x+2)^2=x^2+2x+4, while -x^2 +4x-4=-(x^2-4x+4)=-(x-2)^2. Thus, y(4x-x^2- 4 )=0 can be written as -y(x-2)^2=0 --> x=2 or y=0.

Hope it's clear.


I think I am still missing something, can you please show me how to factorize -x^2+4x-4= 0 without taking out the negative sign, answer should be same right? Thank you


You can factor -x^2 + 4x - 4 only as -(x-2)^2.


Thank you +1, I was under the impression that it was possible to factor -x^2 +4x-4 as it is and it was not necessary to take out the negative sign. One of those mistakes , waiting to happen.
_________________

- Stne

Manager
Manager
Joined: 18 Oct 2013
Posts: 79
Location: India
Concentration: Technology, Finance
GMAT 1: 580 Q48 V21
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 21

CAT Tests
If x and y are integers and 4xy =[m] x2y[/m] + 4y [#permalink] New post 03 Jan 2014, 10:50
If x and y are integers and 4xy =x2y + 4y, what is the value of xy?
(1) y–x = 2
(2) x3 < 0
Math Expert
User avatar
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 17394
Followers: 2889

Kudos [?]: 18490 [0], given: 2361

GMAT Tests User CAT Tests
Re: If x and y are integers and 4xy =[m] x2y[/m] + 4y [#permalink] New post 03 Jan 2014, 10:56
Expert's post
Manager
Manager
Joined: 18 Oct 2013
Posts: 79
Location: India
Concentration: Technology, Finance
GMAT 1: 580 Q48 V21
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 21

CAT Tests
Re: If x and y are integers and 4xy = x^2*y+4y, what is the [#permalink] New post 03 Jan 2014, 11:14
Hi Bunuel,
Thanks for the wonderful response. Please let me know that we should you use it as truth statement for DS question (Algebra) that "Never reduce equation by variable (or expression with variable), if you are not certain that variable (or expression with variable) doesn't equal to zero. We can not divide by zero". I surely follow it that reduce variable in algebra only when I am sure that they are not equal to 0.

Please do explain one doubt .What you said make logical sense but it contradicts from my previous knowledge that if we have an equation and two expression are equal to each other than we can reduce the common variable such as y from both side and there is no where mention that variable not equal to 0.
Math Expert
User avatar
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 17394
Followers: 2889

Kudos [?]: 18490 [0], given: 2361

GMAT Tests User CAT Tests
Re: If x and y are integers and 4xy = x^2*y+4y, what is the [#permalink] New post 03 Jan 2014, 11:19
Expert's post
vikrantgulia wrote:
Hi Bunuel,
Thanks for the wonderful response. Please let me know that we should you use it as truth statement for DS question (Algebra) that "Never reduce equation by variable (or expression with variable), if you are not certain that variable (or expression with variable) doesn't equal to zero. We can not divide by zero". I surely follow it that reduce variable in algebra only when I am sure that they are not equal to 0.

Please do explain one doubt .What you said make logical sense but it contradicts from my previous knowledge that if we have an equation and two expression are equal to each other than we can reduce the common variable such as y from both side and there is no where mention that variable not equal to 0.


Yes, the property is true.

Consider simple example: xy=x. If you reduce this expression by x you get definite answer that y=1 but if there x=0, then y is not necessary to be 1, it can be any number.

Correct solution would be xy=x --> x(y-1)=0 --> x=0 OR y=1.

Does this make sense?
_________________

NEW TO MATH FORUM? PLEASE READ THIS: ALL YOU NEED FOR QUANT!!!

PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 11 Rules for Posting!!!

RESOURCES: [GMAT MATH BOOK]; 1. Triangles; 2. Polygons; 3. Coordinate Geometry; 4. Factorials; 5. Circles; 6. Number Theory; 7. Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets; 9. PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders; 11. GMAT Prep Software Analysis NEW!!!; 12. SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) NEW!!!; 12. Tricky questions from previous years. NEW!!!;

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS ; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.


What are GMAT Club Tests?
25 extra-hard Quant Tests

Re: If x and y are integers and 4xy = x^2*y+4y, what is the   [#permalink] 03 Jan 2014, 11:19
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
New posts If x is not equal to zero, and x = sqrt(4xy-4y^2), then in yogachgolf 5 16 Nov 2007, 11:19
New posts 1 X and Y are prime integers. What is |X-Y|? X + Y is a prime bigfernhead 9 14 Jan 2009, 17:54
New posts 3 If X and Y are prime integers, what is X+Y? 1. X-Y is a bogos 5 29 Jul 2010, 12:35
New posts Experts publish their posts in the topic Is x^2 = y^4/(y^4)^(1/2) ? docabuzar 1 28 Jan 2012, 10:53
New posts 1 Experts publish their posts in the topic If x and y are integers, what is the value of x + y? Walkabout 3 06 Dec 2012, 03:59
Display posts from previous: Sort by

If x and y are integers and 4xy = x^2*y+4y, what is the

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.