Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 10 Jul 2014, 22:01

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

If x and y are integers greater than 1, is x a multiple of y

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
3 KUDOS received
Director
Director
Concentration: International Business, Strategy
GMAT Date: 06-22-2012
GPA: 2.9
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 209 [3] , given: 217

GMAT Tests User
If x and y are integers greater than 1, is x a multiple of y [#permalink] New post 29 Jan 2012, 15:21
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

35% (medium)

Question Stats:

60% (01:44) correct 39% (00:44) wrong based on 160 sessions
If x and y are integers greater than 1, is x a multiple of y?

(1) 3y^2+7y=x
(2) x^2-x is a multiple of y

[Reveal] Spoiler:
For me its D. Unless someone else thinks otherwise. This is how I solved this:

Statement 1

y is a multiple of 3 and 7

So when y = 2 then x will be 26 and YES x is a multiple of y.
when y = 5 then x will be 110 and YES x is a multiple of y.

Therefore, statement 1 is sufficient to answer this questions.

Statement 2

x^2-x is a multiple of y

x(x-1) is a multiple of y. Sufficient to answer.

Therefore D for me i.e. both statements alone are sufficient to answer this question. Any thoughts guys?
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Best Regards,
E.

MGMAT 1 --> 530
MGMAT 2--> 640
MGMAT 3 ---> 610 :-(

Last edited by Bunuel on 30 Oct 2012, 00:44, edited 2 times in total.
Added the OA
Expert Post
9 KUDOS received
Math Expert
Followers: 3187

Kudos [?]: 21209 [9] , given: 2537

Re: Is x a multiple of y [#permalink] New post 29 Jan 2012, 15:31
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
If x and y are integers great than 1, is x a multiple of y?

(1) 3y^2+7y=x --> y(3y+7)=x --> as 3y+7=integer, then y*integer=x --> x is a multiple of y. Sufficient.

(2) x^2-x is a multiple of y --> x(x-1) is a multiple of y --> x can be multiple of y (x=2 and y=2) OR x-1 can be multiple of y (x=3 and y=2) or their product can be multiple of y (x=3 and y=6). Not sufficient.

Answer: A.

Hope it helps.

NEW TO MATH FORUM? PLEASE READ THIS: ALL YOU NEED FOR QUANT!!!

PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 11 Rules for Posting!!!

RESOURCES: [GMAT MATH BOOK]; 1. Triangles; 2. Polygons; 3. Coordinate Geometry; 4. Factorials; 5. Circles; 6. Number Theory; 7. Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets; 9. PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders; 11. GMAT Prep Software Analysis NEW!!!; 12. SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) NEW!!!; 12. Tricky questions from previous years. NEW!!!;

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS ; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

What are GMAT Club Tests?
25 extra-hard Quant Tests

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager
Status: I will not stop until i realise my goal which is my dream too
Schools: Johnson '15
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 16

GMAT Tests User
Re: If x and y are integers greater than 1, is x a multiple of y [#permalink] New post 18 Jun 2012, 06:07
Hi Bunuel,
Can you please explain this problem. I did not understand the explanation above for Point 2.
Sorry for the inconvenience.

Regards,
Harsha

Note: Give me kudos if my approach is right , else help me understand where i am missing.. I want to bell the GMAT Cat ;)

Satyameva Jayate - Truth alone triumphs

Expert Post
Math Expert

Kudos [?]: 21209 [0], given: 2537

Re: If x and y are integers greater than 1, is x a multiple of y [#permalink] New post 18 Jun 2012, 06:10
Expert's post
harshavmrg wrote:
Hi Bunuel,
Can you please explain this problem. I did not understand the explanation above for Point 2.
Sorry for the inconvenience.

Can you please be a little bit more specific? What exactly didn't you understand in the second statement?

RESOURCES: [GMAT MATH BOOK]; 1. Triangles; 2. Polygons; 3. Coordinate Geometry; 4. Factorials; 5. Circles; 6. Number Theory; 7. Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets; 9. PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders; 11. GMAT Prep Software Analysis NEW!!!; 12. SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) NEW!!!; 12. Tricky questions from previous years. NEW!!!;

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS ; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GMAT Date: 04-09-2013
GPA: 4
WE: Management Consulting (Consulting)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 5

Re: If x and y are integers greater than 1, is x a multiple of y [#permalink] New post 05 Sep 2012, 07:00
Hi Bunuel,
I have not understood the answer to the (2) statement, infact we have that x(x-1) = Y*F (because is a multiple), doesn't it depend on the number F if X is a multiple of y? For example:
If x=2, then y could be either 2 or 1; so the answer would be yes;
If x=3, then y could be either 2 or 3; so the answer would be no;
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 14 [1] , given: 25

Re: If x and y are integers greater than 1, is x a multiple of y [#permalink] New post 05 Sep 2012, 13:17
This post received
KUDOS
for(2)

x(x-1) is multiple of y.
so either x is divisible by y or x-1 is divisible by y.
if x-1 is divisible by y, then x is not divisble by y.

plug in y=8, x=16--->16*15 is divisible by 8 --> yes x is a multiple of y.
plug in y=8,x=17----> 17*16 is still divisible by 8 --> But x is not a multiple of y.

So insufficient.
Current Student
Concentration: International Business, General Management
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V35
GPA: 3.65
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 4

Is x multiple of y? If: 3y^2 + 7y = x? If: x^2-x is mult? [#permalink] New post 31 Dec 2012, 16:16
x and y are integers > 1. Is x multiple of y?

(1): 3y^2 + 7y = x
(2): x^2 - x is multiple of y
Expert Post
5 KUDOS received
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
GPA: 3.75
Followers: 123

Kudos [?]: 546 [5] , given: 62

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: Is x multiple of y? If: 3y^2 + 7y = x? If: x^2-x is mult? [#permalink] New post 31 Dec 2012, 20:27
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Nadezda wrote:

The question is asking whether x/y is an integer or not.
Answer is A.

Statement 1 can be written as y(3y +7)=x or 3y+7=x/y. Since y is an integer, therefore 3y+7 must also be an integer. Hence x/y will be an integer or x is a multiple of y. Sufficient.

Statement 2 can be written as x(x-1)/y is an integer. Notice that we can't deduce that x is a multiple of y because it is quite possible that the product is a multiple of y, but not the individual entities.
ex. 2*3/6 is a mltiple of 6 BUT neither 2 nor 3 is a multiple of 6.
Insufficient.

+1A

Please do add the OA while posting questions.

Prepositional Phrases Clarified|Elimination of BEING| Absolute Phrases Clarified
Rules For Posting
www.Univ-Scholarships.com

Concentration: Marketing, International Business
GPA: 3.21
WE: Business Development (Other)
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 196 [0], given: 552

Re: Is x multiple of y? If: 3y^2 + 7y = x? If: x^2-x is mult? [#permalink] New post 31 Dec 2012, 21:41
Nadezda wrote:

Hi Nadezda,

The Questions asks whether x/y is an integer or not.

from St 1 we have 3y^2 +7y=x ---> x/y= 3y+7 if y=2, x=13 and 13/2 is not an integer.
If y=7, then x/y=4 which is an integer.
So St1 alone not sufficient

From St 2 we have x^2-x is multiple of y ----> x(x-1)/y= Integer value
Now we know x-1 and x are consecutive integers

X2-x is even because if x is odd then x2-x (odd-odd)=even and if x is even then x2-x is even. Now x can be odd or even and hence alone not sufficient.

Combining both statement,we get for x/y to be an integer y has to be 7 and x will be have to be multiple of 7.
But we are not sure from above statement so ans should be E.

What is OA??

Thanks
Mridul

“If you can't fly then run, if you can't run then walk, if you can't walk then crawl, but whatever you do you have to keep moving forward.”

Expert Post
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
GPA: 3.75
Followers: 123

Kudos [?]: 546 [0], given: 62

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: Is x multiple of y? If: 3y^2 + 7y = x? If: x^2-x is mult? [#permalink] New post 31 Dec 2012, 21:59
Expert's post
mridulparashar1 wrote:
Nadezda wrote:

Hi Nadezda,

The Questions asks whether x/y is an integer or not.

from St 1 we have 3y^2 +7y=x ---> x/y= 3y+7 if y=2, x=13 and 13/2 is not an integer.
If y=7, then x/y=4 which is an integer.
So St1 alone not sufficient

From St 2 we have x^2-x is multiple of y ----> x(x-1)/y= Integer value
Now we know x-1 and x are consecutive integers

X2-x is even because if x is odd then x2-x (odd-odd)=even and if x is even then x2-x is even. Now x can be odd or even and hence alone not sufficient.

Combining both statement,we get for x/y to be an integer y has to be 7 and x will be have to be multiple of 7.
But we are not sure from above statement so ans should be E.

What is OA??

Thanks
Mridul

if x/y=3y+7, then taking y as 2 will yield x/y as 13 and not 13/2.

Prepositional Phrases Clarified|Elimination of BEING| Absolute Phrases Clarified
Rules For Posting
www.Univ-Scholarships.com

Expert Post
Math Expert

Kudos [?]: 21209 [0], given: 2537

Re: Is x multiple of y? If: 3y^2 + 7y = x? If: x^2-x is mult? [#permalink] New post 01 Jan 2013, 02:07
Expert's post
Nadezda wrote:

Merging similar topics. Please refer to the solutions above.

Also, please read carefully and follow: rules-for-posting-please-read-this-before-posting-133935.html Pay attention to the rules #5 and 7.

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:

SVP
SVP
Followers: 154

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: If x and y are integers greater than 1, is x a multiple of y [#permalink] New post 01 Jan 2014, 23:27
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

GMAT Books | GMAT Club Tests | Best Prices on GMAT Courses | GMAT Mobile App | Math Resources | Verbal Resources

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: If x and y are integers greater than 1, is x a multiple of y [#permalink] New post 03 May 2014, 11:26

FACTS ESTABLISHED BY STEMS

• x is an integer
  • y is an integer
  • x > 1
  • y > 1

QUESTION TRANSLATED

Since both x and y are integers the question "is x a multiple of y?" really asks if

x = q \cdot y + r

where q is an integer (the quotient) and r is the remainder when you divide x by y so that r = 0 which means that

x = q \cdot y + 0

which implies that

x = q \cdot y

So the question translates to:

is x = q \cdot y when x, q and y are all integers, and when x>1 and y > 1?

STATEMENT 1

3y^2 + 7y = x

can be rewritten as

y(3y + 7) = x

however, from the question stems we know that y is an integer, which implies 3y is an integer and that 3y+7 is also an integer:

y \cdot integer = x

which can be rewritten as

x = y \cdot integer or better yet, as

x = integer \cdot y

which if you notice is an equation of the form x = q \cdot y since q is an integer which implies that x is indeed a multiple of y.

Therefore, Statement A is sufficient.

STATEMENT 2

the statement "x^2 - x is a multiple of y" must be rewritten as "x (x - 1) is a multiple of y" which implies that

either x is a multiple of y or x-1 is a multiple of y

the sub-statement x is a multiple of y implies that x = q \cdot y which would answer the question, but we still need to figure out if the second sub-statement answers the question with the same answer as the first sub-statement.

the second sub-statement x-1 is a multiple of y implies that

x-1 = q \cdot y

which can be rewritten as

x = q \cdot y + 1

which is an equation of the form x = q \cdot y + r when r=1 which implies that when x is divided by y we get a remainder of 1, meaning that x is NOT a multiple of y.

Since both sub-statements are contradictory, this means that when x^2 - x is a multiple of y, x is not always a multiple of y. meaning that we cannot determine whether x is always a multiple of y according to Statement 2 alone.

Therefore, Statement 2 is not sufficient.

ANSWER

(A) Statement (1) ALONE is sufficient, but statement (2) alone is not sufficient.
Re: If x and y are integers greater than 1, is x a multiple of y   [#permalink] 03 May 2014, 11:26