Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 31 May 2016, 20:48
GMAT Club Tests

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

If x and y are negative numbers, is x<y?

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Operations, General Management
GMAT 1: 650 Q50 V27
GMAT 2: 710 Q49 V37
GPA: 3.5
WE: Operations (Other)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 75 [2] , given: 171

GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
If x and y are negative numbers, is x<y? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Aug 2013, 11:44
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

95% (hard)

Question Stats:

29% (03:23) correct 71% (01:51) wrong based on 374 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

(1) 3x+4<2y+3

(2) 2x−3<3y−4

Bunuel, can you please explain the graphical method to solve this question?

Thanks
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Last edited by Bunuel on 13 Aug 2013, 11:55, edited 1 time in total.
RENAMED THE TOPIC.
Expert Post
8 KUDOS received
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Followers: 1026

Kudos [?]: 4464 [8] , given: 49

Re: If x and y are negative numbers, is x<y? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Aug 2013, 12:09
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
nitin6305 wrote:

(1) 3x+4<2y+3

(2) 2x−3<3y−4

Thanks

Dear nitin6305,
I'm happy to help with this. :-)

Idea #1: to graph an inequality, solve for slope-intercept form (i.e. y = mx + b form). When we do that
Graph (1) becomes: y > 3x/2 + 1/2
Graph (2) becomes: y > 2x/3 + 1/3
We plot the exact lines (y = 3x/2 + 1/2 and y = 2x/3 + 1/3) to determine the boundaries of the regions. If the inequality is y > mx + b, then the region representing the inequality is above the line; if the inequality is y < mx + b, then the region representing the inequality is below the line.

Idea #2: any question about whether x is > or = or < y is question about the line y = x. Read this post about the magical properties of the line y = x.
http://magoosh.com/gmat/2012/gmat-math- ... -line-y-x/

Here's the image:
Attachment:
inequalities with y = x.JPG
inequalities with y = x.JPG [ 82.84 KiB | Viewed 4467 times ]

The darker green region, above the line y > 3x/2 + 1/23, is the region representing the first inequality. The yellow region, above the line y = 2x/3 + 1/3, is the region representing the second inequality. The bright spring green region is their overlap, the region satisfied by both inequalities. Notice that everything in that bright spring green region is above the solid green line, which is y = x. Points above the line y = x always have y > x.

Does all this make sense?
Mike :-)

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Operations, General Management
GMAT 1: 650 Q50 V27
GMAT 2: 710 Q49 V37
GPA: 3.5
WE: Operations (Other)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 75 [0], given: 171

GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 13 Aug 2013, 12:18
mikemcgarry wrote:
nitin6305 wrote:

(1) 3x+4<2y+3

(2) 2x−3<3y−4

Thanks

Dear nitin6305,

Idea #1: to graph an inequality, solve for slope-intercept form (i.e. y = mx + b form). When we do that
We plot the exact lines (y = 3x/2 + 1/2 and y = 2x/3 + 1/3) to determine the boundaries of the regions. If the inequality is y > mx + b, then the region representing the inequality is above the line; if the inequality is y < mx + b, then the region representing the inequality is below the line.

Idea #2: any question about whether x is > or = or < y is question about the line y = x. Read this post about the magical properties of the line y = x.

Here's the image:
Attachment:

The darker green region, above the line y > 3x/2 + 1/23, is the region representing the first inequality. The yellow region, above the line y = 2x/3 + 1/3, is the region representing the second inequality. The bright spring green region is their overlap, the region satisfied by both inequalities. Notice that everything in that bright spring green region is above the solid green line, which is y = x. Points above the line y = x always have y > x.

Dear Mike

Thanks a lot for the prompt response.

All of the above makes sense. :-D

Nitin
Manager
Manager
WE 1: Information Technology(Retail)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 29

Show Tags

New post 31 Aug 2013, 12:20
Is there a quicker way to solve?
Expert Post
Math Expert
Followers: 5786

Kudos [?]: 71055 [0], given: 9857

Show Tags

New post 31 Aug 2013, 12:24
Expert's post
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Followers: 466

Kudos [?]: 120 [0], given: 0

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 16 Sep 2014, 23:14
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

GMAT Books | GMAT Club Tests | Best Prices on GMAT Courses | GMAT Mobile App | Math Resources | Verbal Resources

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
WE: Engineering (Computer Software)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 65

Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 07 Oct 2015, 07:03
mikemcgarry wrote:
nitin6305 wrote:

(1) 3x+4<2y+3

(2) 2x−3<3y−4

Thanks

Dear nitin6305,

Here's the image:
Attachment:

Hi mikemcgarry

Thanks for sharing the succinct graphical approach. I am having trouble understanding how the graph 2 gives a definite answer.

per the graph2 y > 2x/3 + 1/3 ------> the yellow region in the graph

I can see in the yellow region we have one small region where x>y and one bigger region where y>x. If that's true then we can't have a definite answer.

Please help, I think I have confused things here since the OA is B.

Thanks in advance !

Regards,
SR
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Followers: 1026

Kudos [?]: 4464 [1] , given: 49

Show Tags

New post 07 Oct 2015, 11:21
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
solitaryreaper wrote:
Hi mikemcgarry

Thanks for sharing the succinct graphical approach. I am having trouble understanding how the graph 2 gives a definite answer.

I can see in the yellow region we have one small region where x>y and one bigger region where y>x. If that's true then we can't have a definite answer.

Thanks in advance !

Regards,
SR

Dear solitaryreaper,
I'm happy to help.

Statement #2 is not sufficient by itself. For most of the region 2x−3<3y−4, it's true that x < y.

For example, if (x, y) = (0, 5), then that is consistent with the statement #2 inequality, and it gives a "yes" answer to the prompt question, "is x < y?"

By contrast, if (x, y) = (9, 7), then this is also consistent with the statement #2 inequality, but it gives a "no" answer to the prompt question.

We can pick different values consistent with the statement #2 inequality that give different answers to the prompt question, so Statement #2 by itself is most certainly not sufficient.

Part of the problem is that whoever posted the question posted the WRONG OA! The correct OA for this question is (C), as the graphs I posted above show. I don't have the ability to made that edit, but perhaps Bunuel can make that change.

Does this answer your questions?

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Expert Post
2 KUDOS received
Math Expert
Followers: 5786

Kudos [?]: 71055 [2] , given: 9857

Show Tags

New post 07 Oct 2015, 11:33
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
mikemcgarry wrote:
solitaryreaper wrote:
Hi mikemcgarry

Thanks in advance !

Regards,
SR

Dear solitaryreaper,
I'm happy to help.

Statement #2 is not sufficient by itself. For most of the region 2x−3<3y−4, it's true that x < y.

For example, if (x, y) = (0, 5), then that is consistent with the statement #2 inequality, and it gives a "yes" answer to the prompt question, "is x < y?"

By contrast, if (x, y) = (9, 7), then this is also consistent with the statement #2 inequality, but it gives a "no" answer to the prompt question.

We can pick different values consistent with the statement #2 inequality that give different answers to the prompt question, so Statement #2 by itself is most certainly not sufficient.

Part of the problem is that whoever posted the question posted the WRONG OA! The correct OA for this question is (C), as the graphs I posted above show. I don't have the ability to made that edit, but perhaps Bunuel can make that change.

Hi Mike,

The stem says that x and y are negative numbers, so the OA is correct.

New to the Math Forum?
Please read this: All You Need for Quant | PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

Resources:
GMAT Math Book | Triangles | Polygons | Coordinate Geometry | Factorials | Circles | Number Theory | Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets | PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders | GMAT Prep Software Analysis | SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) | Tricky questions from previous years.

Collection of Questions:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

What are GMAT Club Tests?
Extra-hard Quant Tests with Brilliant Analytics

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 07 Oct 2015, 22:07
statement 1. 3x+1<2y,now both no's are negative ,x<y/(3/2)-1/3=y/1.5-1/3 (y/1.5 is increased as negative no,e.g, -1.5<-1(-1.5/1.5) and then -1/3 added,we can't say x<y .

Statement 2. 2x<3y-1 or x<(y x 1.5) -1/2, negative number multiplied by a positive will give a lesser number then -1 added ..again decreased

when x<z where z is definitely lesser than y so x<y ,2 is enough
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
WE: Engineering (Computer Software)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 65

Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 10 Oct 2015, 06:16
Bunuel wrote:
mikemcgarry wrote:
solitaryreaper wrote:
Hi mikemcgarry

Thanks in advance !

Regards,
SR

Dear solitaryreaper,
I'm happy to help.

Hi Mike,

The stem says that x and y are negative numbers, so the OA is correct.

Thanks a lot mikemcgarry for explaining the whole thing. :)

Kudos to Bunuel for pointing out our mistake. :-D In wake of x<0 (given in question stem) , inequality y>x holds true. Hence statement 2 is sufficient.
OA should be B.

Regards,
SR
Manager
Manager
Schools: ISB '18
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V33

Kudos [?]: 34 [0], given: 57

Show Tags

New post 10 Oct 2015, 08:37
mikemcgarry wrote:
nitin6305 wrote:

(1) 3x+4<2y+3

(2) 2x−3<3y−4

Thanks

Dear nitin6305,

Here's the image:
Attachment:

Hi Mike,

Can you please explain this concept about evaluating the relevant region of an inequality? I tried reading your previous links but could not grasp it fully! ;(

Would really appreciate an explanation with graphs!! Thanks!
Expert Post
Math Forum Moderator
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
Schools: Kellogg '18 (M)
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.7
WE: Engineering (Aerospace and Defense)
Followers: 97

Kudos [?]: 1094 [0], given: 777

Show Tags

New post 10 Oct 2015, 09:22
Expert's post
longfellow wrote:

Hi Mike,

Can you please explain this concept about evaluating the relevant region of an inequality? I tried reading your previous links but could not grasp it fully! ;(

I am no expert but let me give it a try.

As per mikemcgarry 's graph above, y=x is a line passing through (0,0). All points on this line will be such that their y-coordinates will be = x-ccordinates. Thus examples points on this line will be (0,0),(1,1),(-10,-10) etc.

Remember that for this question, we need to only look in the 3rd quadrant (as both x and y are <0). ....(a)

Now take statement 1, 3x+4<2y+3. You can treat this as the linear equation, 3x+4=2y+3, giving you y=1.5x+0.5.

You now plot y=1.5x+0.5 and points following the inequality 3x+4<2y+3 or y>1.5x+0.5 will lie ABOVE the line y=1.5x+0.5 (additionally, had the inequality been y<1.5x+0.5, then you would have looked at all the points BELOW y=1.5x+0.5).

Additionally, see that y=1.5x+0.5 intersects y=x at (-1,-1) and this point is valid as per (a) above. Since there is a distinct (and valid) point of intersection between y=x and y=1.5x+0.5, you will have 2 scenarios with 1 scenario giving you a "yes" for y>x while for the other you will get a "no" for "y>x", making statement 1 not sufficient.

You can adopt the method above for statement 2 and see that as there are no points of intersection for y=x and y=0.67x+0.33 satisfying (a) above. Thus statement 2 will give a definite answer for "is y>x". Thus this statement is sufficient.

Hence B is the correct answer.

Hope this helps.

Thursday with Ron updated list as of July 1st, 2015: http://gmatclub.com/forum/consolidated-thursday-with-ron-list-for-all-the-sections-201006.html#p1544515
Rules for Posting in Quant Forums: http://gmatclub.com/forum/rules-for-posting-please-read-this-before-posting-133935.html
Writing Mathematical Formulae in your posts: http://gmatclub.com/forum/rules-for-posting-please-read-this-before-posting-133935.html#p1096628
GMATCLUB Math Book: http://gmatclub.com/forum/gmat-math-book-in-downloadable-pdf-format-130609.html
Everything Related to Inequalities: http://gmatclub.com/forum/inequalities-made-easy-206653.html#p1582891
Inequalities tips: http://gmatclub.com/forum/inequalities-tips-and-hints-175001.html
Debrief, 650 to 750: http://gmatclub.com/forum/650-to-750-a-10-month-journey-to-the-score-203190.html

Manager
Manager
Schools: ISB '18
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V33

Kudos [?]: 34 [0], given: 57

Show Tags

New post 10 Oct 2015, 09:43
Engr2012 wrote:
longfellow wrote:

Hi Mike,

I am no expert but let me give it a try.

As per mikemcgarry 's graph above, y=x is a line passing through (0,0). All points on this line will be such that their y-coordinates will be = x-ccordinates. Thus examples points on this line will be (0,0),(1,1),(-10,-10) etc.

Remember that for this question, we need to only look in the 3rd quadrant (as both x and y are <0). ....(a)

Now take statement 1, 3x+4<2y+3. You can treat this as the linear equation, 3x+4=2y+3, giving you y=1.5x+0.5.

You now plot y=1.5x+0.5 and points following the inequality 3x+4<2y+3 or y>1.5x+0.5 will lie ABOVE the line y=1.5x+0.5 (additionally, had the inequality been y<1.5x+0.5, then you would have looked at all the points BELOW y=1.5x+0.5).

Additionally, see that y=1.5x+0.5 intersects y=x at (-1,-1) and this point is valid as per (a) above. Since there is a distinct (and valid) point of intersection between y=x and y=1.5x+0.5, you will have 2 scenarios with 1 scenario giving you a "yes" for y>x while for the other you will get a "no" for "y>x", making statement 1 not sufficient.

You can adopt the method above for statement 2 and see that as there are no points of intersection for y=x and y=0.67x+0.33 satisfying (a) above. Thus statement 2 will give a definite answer for "is y>x". Thus this statement is sufficient.

Hence B is the correct answer.

Hope this helps.

Thanks Engr2012. :)
Re: If x and y are negative numbers, is x<y?   [#permalink] 10 Oct 2015, 09:43