Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 21:32 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 21:32

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 408 [56]
Given Kudos: 174
Concentration: Operations, General Management
GMAT 1: 650 Q50 V27
GMAT 2: 710 Q49 V37
GPA: 3.5
WE:Operations (Other)
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28569 [23]
Given Kudos: 130
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 190 [1]
Given Kudos: 95
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
WE:Engineering (Computer Software)
Send PM
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28569 [2]
Given Kudos: 130
Re: If x and y are negative numbers, is x<y? [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
solitaryreaper wrote:
Hi mikemcgarry

Thanks for sharing the succinct graphical approach. I am having trouble understanding how the graph 2 gives a definite answer.

per the graph2 y > 2x/3 + 1/3 ------> the yellow region in the graph

I can see in the yellow region we have one small region where x>y and one bigger region where y>x. If that's true then we can't have a definite answer.

Please help, I think I have confused things here since the OA is B.

Thanks in advance !

Regards,
SR

Dear solitaryreaper,
I'm happy to help.

Statement #2 is not sufficient by itself. For most of the region 2x−3<3y−4, it's true that x < y.

For example, if (x, y) = (0, 5), then that is consistent with the statement #2 inequality, and it gives a "yes" answer to the prompt question, "is x < y?"

By contrast, if (x, y) = (9, 7), then this is also consistent with the statement #2 inequality, but it gives a "no" answer to the prompt question.

We can pick different values consistent with the statement #2 inequality that give different answers to the prompt question, so Statement #2 by itself is most certainly not sufficient.

Part of the problem is that whoever posted the question posted the WRONG OA! The correct OA for this question is (C), as the graphs I posted above show. I don't have the ability to made that edit, but perhaps Bunuel can make that change.

Does this answer your questions?
Mike :-)
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618624 [2]
Given Kudos: 81563
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
mikemcgarry wrote:
solitaryreaper wrote:
Hi mikemcgarry

Thanks for sharing the succinct graphical approach. I am having trouble understanding how the graph 2 gives a definite answer.

per the graph2 y > 2x/3 + 1/3 ------> the yellow region in the graph

I can see in the yellow region we have one small region where x>y and one bigger region where y>x. If that's true then we can't have a definite answer.

Please help, I think I have confused things here since the OA is B.

Thanks in advance !

Regards,
SR

Dear solitaryreaper,
I'm happy to help.

Statement #2 is not sufficient by itself. For most of the region 2x−3<3y−4, it's true that x < y.

For example, if (x, y) = (0, 5), then that is consistent with the statement #2 inequality, and it gives a "yes" answer to the prompt question, "is x < y?"

By contrast, if (x, y) = (9, 7), then this is also consistent with the statement #2 inequality, but it gives a "no" answer to the prompt question.

We can pick different values consistent with the statement #2 inequality that give different answers to the prompt question, so Statement #2 by itself is most certainly not sufficient.

Part of the problem is that whoever posted the question posted the WRONG OA! The correct OA for this question is (C), as the graphs I posted above show. I don't have the ability to made that edit, but perhaps Bunuel can make that change.

Does this answer your questions?
Mike :-)

Hi Mike,

The stem says that x and y are negative numbers, so the OA is correct.
Math Revolution GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 16592 [3]
Given Kudos: 4
GMAT 1: 760 Q51 V42
GPA: 3.82
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
nitin6305 wrote:
If x and y are negative numbers, is x<y?

(1) 3x+4<2y+3

(2) 2x−3<3y−4

Bunuel, can you please explain the graphical method to solve this question?

Thanks

Forget conventional ways of solving math questions. In DS, Variable approach is the easiest and quickest way to find the answer without actually solving the problem. Remember equal number of variables and independent equations ensures a solution.

Since we have 2 variables and 0 equation, C is most likely to be the answer.

Condition 1) & 2)
\(3x + 4 < 2y + 3\)
\(2x - 3 < 3y - 4\)
If we add both inequalities, we have \(5x + 1 < 5y - 1\).
\(5x + 1 < 5y - 1 < 5y + 1 ⇔ 5x < 5y or x < y\).
Both conditions together are sufficient.

Since this question is one of key questions, we need to check A or B by CMT(Common Mistake Type) 4 (A).

Condition 1)
\(3x + 4 < 2y + 3\)

\(x = -2\), \(y = -1\) : Yes
\(x = -20\), \(y = -21\) : No.

This is not sufficient.

Condition 2)

\(2x - 3 < 3y - 4 ⇒ 3x - 4 < 3x - 3 < 2x - 3 < 3y - 4\) since \(x < 0\).
We have \(3x < 3y\) or\(x < y\).

This is sufficient.

Therefore, the answer is B.

Normally for cases where we need 2 more equations, such as original conditions with 2 variables, or 3 variables and 1 equation, or 4 variables and 2 equations, we have 1 equation each in both 1) and 2). Therefore C has a high chance of being the answer, which is why we attempt to solve the question using 1) and 2) together. Here, there is 70% chance that C is the answer, while E has 25% chance. These two are the key questions. In case of common mistake type 3,4, the answer may be from A, B or D but there is only 5% chance. Since C is most likely to be the answer according to DS definition, we solve the question assuming C would be our answer hence using 1) and 2) together. (It saves us time). Obviously there may be cases where the answer is A, B, D or E.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1034 [0]
Given Kudos: 1091
GMAT 1: 700 Q47 V39
Send PM
MathRevolution wrote:
nitin6305 wrote:

(1) 3x+4<2y+3

(2) 2x−3<3y−4

Thanks

Forget conventional ways of solving math questions. In DS, Variable approach is the easiest and quickest way to find the answer without actually solving the problem. Remember equal number of variables and independent equations ensures a solution.

Condition 1) & 2)
\(3x + 4 < 2y + 3\)
\(2x - 3 < 3y - 4\)

Since this question is one of key questions, we need to check A or B by CMT(Common Mistake Type) 4 (A).

Condition 1)
\(3x + 4 < 2y + 3\)

This is not sufficient.

Condition 2)

This is sufficient.

Normally for cases where we need 2 more equations, such as original conditions with 2 variables, or 3 variables and 1 equation, or 4 variables and 2 equations, we have 1 equation each in both 1) and 2). Therefore C has a high chance of being the answer, which is why we attempt to solve the question using 1) and 2) together. Here, there is 70% chance that C is the answer, while E has 25% chance. These two are the key questions. In case of common mistake type 3,4, the answer may be from A, B or D but there is only 5% chance. Since C is most likely to be the answer according to DS definition, we solve the question assuming C would be our answer hence using 1) and 2) together. (It saves us time). Obviously there may be cases where the answer is A, B, D or E.

Hi @mathsrevolution VeritasKarishma Bunuel

for first statement 1, I tested values and concluded that st 1 is enough. My question here would be how do we know when we have checked "sufficient" values. I checked extreme values (x=-100 y= -1) and close values (x= -4 and y =-3) both cases gave me a YES. therefore I concluded with st 1 as sufficient.
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64887 [2]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Kritisood wrote:
MathRevolution wrote:
nitin6305 wrote:

(1) 3x+4<2y+3

(2) 2x−3<3y−4

Thanks

Condition 1) & 2)
\(3x + 4 < 2y + 3\)
\(2x - 3 < 3y - 4\)

Condition 1)
\(3x + 4 < 2y + 3\)

This is not sufficient.

Condition 2)

This is sufficient.

Hi @mathsrevolution VeritasKarishma Bunuel

for first statement 1, I tested values and concluded that st 1 is enough. My question here would be how do we know when we have checked "sufficient" values. I checked extreme values (x=-100 y= -1) and close values (x= -4 and y =-3) both cases gave me a YES. therefore I concluded with st 1 as sufficient.

I will not use testing numbers to establish sufficiency. To establish insufficiency, yes, that is fine. If I am quickly able to arrive at two values which give a yes and a no, I can say that the statement is not sufficient and move on. But if all values I try give the same answer, I will need to establish sufficiency using logic.

(1) 3x + 4 < 2y + 3
3x < 2y−1
x < 2y/3 - 1/3
Add and subtract y/3 from RHS
x < y - y/3 - 1/3

x < y - (y+1)/3

Now, (y+1)/3 can be a positive number or a negative number say
when y = -1/2, (y+1)/3 is positive
when y = -2, (y+1)/3 is negative

So this inequality could give us e.g.
x < y - 1/6 (we don't know if x is less than y)
or x < y + 1/3 (yes, x is less than y)

Hence, not sufficient.
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618624 [0]
Given Kudos: 81563
Send PM
Expert Reply
If \(x\) and \(y\) are negative numbers, is \(x < y\)?

(1) \(3x + 4 < 2y + 3\).

Re-arrange to: \(3x < 2y-1\).

Express \(2y\) as \(3y -y\) to get: \(3x < 3y - y - 1\), which can also be written as: \(3x < 3y - (y + 1)\).

Divide each term by 3: \(x < y -\frac{y+1}{3}\).

Now, \(\frac{y+1}{3}\) can be positive if \(y > -1\), and negative if \(y < -1\).

When \(\frac{y+1}{3}\) is positive, \(y -\frac{y+1}{3}\) will be less than \(y\), so we'd have: \(x < y -\frac{y+1}{3} < y\).

When \(\frac{y+1}{3}\) is negative, \(y -\frac{y+1}{3}\) will be greater than y, so we'd have: \(y < y -\frac{y+1}{3}\). In this case, \(x\) could be between \(y\) and \(y -\frac{y+1}{3}\), thus being more than \(y\): \(y < x < y -\frac{y+1}{3}\), as well as to the left of \(y\), thus being less than \(y\): \(x < y < y -\frac{y+1}{3}\).

Not sufficient.

Alternatively, after getting \(3x < 2y-1\), we could plug in numbers. If \(x\) is a very small number, for instance -100, and \(y\) is -1, then \(x < y\) and the answer is YES. However, if \(x=-2\) and \(y=-2\), then \(x=y\) and the answer is NO.

(2) \(2x - 3 < 3y - 4\).

Re-arrange to: \(2x < 3y - 1\).

Express \(3y\) as \(2y + y\) to get: \(2x < 2y + y - 1\).

Divide each term by 2: \(x < y + \frac{y-1}{2}\).

Since \(y\) is negative, \(\frac{y-1}{2}\) will also be negative, thus \(y + \frac{y-1}{2}\) will be less than \(y\). Therefore, we have \(x < y + \frac{y-1}{2} < y\).

Sufficient.

Answer: B
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Math Expert
92883 posts