Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Oct 2014, 04:54

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

If X and Y are points in a plane and X lies inside the

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Expert Post
Math Expert
Followers: 3607

Kudos [?]: 28758 [0], given: 2846

If X and Y are points in a plane and X lies inside the [#permalink] New post 02 Jul 2012, 01:36
Expert's post
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

5% (low)

Question Stats:

82% (01:45) correct 18% (00:42) wrong based on 221 sessions
If X and Y are points in a plane and X lies inside the circle C with center O and radius 2, does Y lie inside circle C?

(1) The length of line segment XY is 3.
(2) The length of line segment OY is 1.5.

Diagnostic Test
Question: 36
Page: 25
Difficulty: 550
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

NEW TO MATH FORUM? PLEASE READ THIS: ALL YOU NEED FOR QUANT!!!

PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 11 Rules for Posting!!!

RESOURCES: [GMAT MATH BOOK]; 1. Triangles; 2. Polygons; 3. Coordinate Geometry; 4. Factorials; 5. Circles; 6. Number Theory; 7. Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets; 9. PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders; 11. GMAT Prep Software Analysis NEW!!!; 12. SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) NEW!!!; 12. Tricky questions from previous years. NEW!!!;

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS ; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

What are GMAT Club Tests?
25 extra-hard Quant Tests

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Expert Post
Math Expert

Re: If X and Y are points in a plane and X lies inside the [#permalink] New post 02 Jul 2012, 01:36
Expert's post
SOLUTION

If X and Y are points in a plane and X lies inside the circle C with center O and radius 2, does Y lie inside circle C?

(1) The length of line segment XY is 3. The maximum distance between two points on a circle is equal to the diameter, so in our case to 4, which means that the line segment XY could be entirely in the circle. But Y could also be outside the circle as well, for example consider the case when X coincides with center O. Not sufficient.

(2) The length of line segment OY is 1.5. Since OY<radius, then point Y must lie within the circle. Sufficient.

Answer: B.

Similar question to practice: if-point-x-is-inside-a-circle-with-center-o-and-radius-2-is-102751.html

RESOURCES: [GMAT MATH BOOK]; 1. Triangles; 2. Polygons; 3. Coordinate Geometry; 4. Factorials; 5. Circles; 6. Number Theory; 7. Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets; 9. PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders; 11. GMAT Prep Software Analysis NEW!!!; 12. SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) NEW!!!; 12. Tricky questions from previous years. NEW!!!;

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS ; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 640 Q50 V26
GMAT 2: 660 Q50 V28
GMAT 3: 730 Q50 V38
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 172 [0], given: 23

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: If X and Y are points in a plane and X lies inside the [#permalink] New post 02 Jul 2012, 02:11
Hi,

Difficulty level: 600

With reference to below figure (one of the possible cases):
Attachment:
xy.jpg
xy.jpg [ 3.64 KiB | Viewed 4720 times ]

Using (1),
XY = 3, Y can be anywhere in the plane. Insufficient.

Using (2),
OY = 1.5, radius of the circle is 2. Thus OY is less than the radius of the circle. Thus, Y lies inside the circle. Sufficient.

Answer is (B),

Regards,

My posts: Solving Inequalities, Solving Simultaneous equations, Divisibility Rules

My story: 640 What a blunder!

Vocabulary resource: EdPrep

Facebook page: fb.com/EdPrep

Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 37 [0], given: 97

Re: If X and Y are points in a plane and X lies inside the [#permalink] New post 02 Jul 2012, 23:38
Ok B is defintely sufficent but vvhy cant A be sufficient

this is hovv I vvorked it

since X is inside the circle - the value of X 0 .... 1.9 since radius is 2

novv

implies

Y-x =3
if X =0 minimal Y is 3 so it lies outside

case 2 is maximum
Y-X =3
Y-1.9 =3
Y=4.9
Y still lies outside

so VVhy cant A be proven or sufficent
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 640 Q50 V26
GMAT 2: 660 Q50 V28
GMAT 3: 730 Q50 V38
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 172 [0], given: 23

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: If X and Y are points in a plane and X lies inside the [#permalink] New post 03 Jul 2012, 00:22
venmic wrote:
Ok B is defintely sufficent but vvhy cant A be sufficient

this is hovv I vvorked it

since X is inside the circle - the value of X 0 .... 1.9 since radius is 2

novv

implies

Y-x =3
if X =0 minimal Y is 3 so it lies outside

case 2 is maximum
Y-X =3
Y-1.9 =3
Y=4.9
Y still lies outside

so VVhy cant A be proven or sufficent

Hi,

I will discuss one possibility for (1):
The diameter of circle is 4,
If X & Y can lie within circle on the diameter, both can lie inside the circle.

Otherwise, as stated previously Y can lie outside.
Thus, statement (1) is insufficient.

Regards,

My posts: Solving Inequalities, Solving Simultaneous equations, Divisibility Rules

My story: 640 What a blunder!

Vocabulary resource: EdPrep

Facebook page: fb.com/EdPrep

Expert Post
Math Expert

Re: If X and Y are points in a plane and X lies inside the [#permalink] New post 06 Jul 2012, 02:58
Expert's post
SOLUTION

(1) The length of line segment XY is 3. The maximum distance between two points on a circle is equal to the diameter, so in our case to 4, which means that the line segment XY could be entirely in the circle. But Y could also be outside the circle as well, for example consider the case when X coincides with center O. Not sufficient.

(2) The length of line segment OY is 1.5. Since OY<radius, then point Y must lie within the circle. Sufficient.

Answer: B.

Similar question to practice: if-point-x-is-inside-a-circle-with-center-o-and-radius-2-is-102751.html

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: If X and Y are points in a plane and X lies inside the [#permalink] New post 16 Jul 2012, 17:35
Hello, Guys!
I think there may be information missing, since for the 2nd statement to solve the question I'd have to assume also that the points X, Y and O are in the same plane, but I believe this is not writen nor implyed in the question.

The plane in which lie the points X and Y is not necessarily the same plane of the whole circle, even though a few points of the circle may be on the plane.

What do you think? Hope I'm not bothering you with nonsense.
Best regards!
Expert Post
Math Expert

Re: If X and Y are points in a plane and X lies inside the [#permalink] New post 17 Jul 2012, 01:28
Expert's post
dygoo wrote:
Hello, Guys!
I think there may be information missing, since for the 2nd statement to solve the question I'd have to assume also that the points X, Y and O are in the same plane, but I believe this is not writen nor implyed in the question.

The plane in which lie the points X and Y is not necessarily the same plane of the whole circle, even though a few points of the circle may be on the plane.

Best regards!

This is the case when you can safely infer from the stem that all points are in the same plane. Anyway, on the GMAT you won't have a question with some points in one plane and some other points in some other plane.

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: If X and Y are points in a plane and X lies inside the [#permalink] New post 17 Jul 2012, 06:07
Thanks, Bunuel!!!
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: If X and Y are points in a plane and X lies inside the [#permalink] New post 26 Nov 2013, 10:40
dygoo wrote:
Hello, Guys!

Best regards!

Quoting - Page 24 GMAT 13th Edition Review last sentence - :

"All figures lie in a plane UNLESS OTHERWISE INDICATED"

I thought really long about this question until I looked it up here and afterwards found this sentence. Clarifies a lot... ;)
Re: If X and Y are points in a plane and X lies inside the   [#permalink] 26 Nov 2013, 10:40